Yvon

Wedding without alcohol

My fiance and I are planning to get married in July 2009. If we decide to do away with the alcohol, will the the price of the wedding packages for hotels be reduced? We're looking at hotels at the PJ area and some prices range from 788++ to >1000++ but we try to keep our budget low for 25+ tables. Also we don't fancy having alcohol. Will the hotels charge the same or can prices be reduced? I was just wondering because I think it'd make quite some difference if it could be reduced.

Thanks in advance! :D

My fiance and I are planning to get married in July 2009. If we decide to do away with the alcohol, will the the price of the wedding packages for hotels be reduced? We're looking at hotels at the PJ area and some prices range from 788++ to >1000++ but we try to keep our budget low for 25+ tables. Also we don't fancy having alcohol. Will the hotels charge the same or can prices be reduced? I was just wondering because I think it'd make quite some difference if it could be reduced.

i dun think it will affect the price as alcohol is not in their menu..... or if some hotel compliments one bottle per table, maybe u can ask for reduction.....hotels are pricey because they throw in things like basic decor, free 1N bridal suite, anniversary dinner and other specials.... they are pretty fixed unless you have insiders lar.... like some WP who can get 5% - 10% comm.... and also it all depends on the hotel......

The price will not be affected because normally hotel offers free chinese tea only. Other beverages such as liquor or even soft drinks will be separately charged

There is not effect on taking out the alcohol.. is 2 different issue between menu price and drinks.. standard will be only chinese tea as per fluene.. unless you amend on the menu.. but it will not look presentable already... :rolleyes:

As in Kuching, normally hotel/restuarant will give free corkage for liquor but not for beer.

If you wanna save the cost from hotel, it is unlikely but you save the $$ from providing liquor or beer. That's my intention at the first place, no alcohol drinks but HB insisted to have otherwise it won't like a wedding receiption, so end up we need to pay restaurant RM10 per carton for their corkage charge, liquor is free of charge.

Beautifulgown is right, you can save from splurging extra on alchohol. Most hotels/ Restaurants charge corkage depending on the dinner package.

Wines/ hard liquor are the next budget bomb in wedding dinners. A good average wine costs at least RM35 per bottle, so if you plan to have one bottle per table (say 25 tables), you'll be spending about RM900, not alot, but that money can be used for honeymoon or future insurance funds, etc.

Maybe you can just focus on beer (1 barrel) alone, to replace wine/ hard liquor?

Best you check what are their corkage regulations, if it's no charge at all, you can still save some $$ :)

i dun think it will affect the price as alcohol is not in their menu..... or if some hotel compliments one bottle per table, maybe u can ask for reduction.....hotels are pricey because they throw in things like basic decor, free 1N bridal suite, anniversary dinner and other specials.... they are pretty fixed unless you have insiders lar.... like some WP who can get 5% - 10% comm.... and also it all depends on the hotel......

I just rang the venue I am having my reception in and I negotiated a fair bit of things. Like reduction in price for menu, 1/2 price aerated drinks and corkage, quite a few free stuff and even payment terms! Just thicken ur skin and do as much negotiation as much as u can! Even if they can't do it, you've got nothing to loose, rite? ;)

I dun think they will reduce the price, as that's their fixed price. But i think some may offer some other things to replace the free corkage for you if you request, such as free ice-carving or free fruit platter? For my case, i replaced the cake with one more dish - fruit platter as my 9th dish. However, if you're not having alcohol in your wedding, you've actually saced up a lot, as those wine and beer are quite expensive.

Thanks for the response~! I am quite blur as I have not been very much exposed to these things. :lol: Yea, I saw those things in packages about free corkage etc etc... Hmmm.. my fiance is good in bargaining so I think I'll get him to bargain as much as possible. There are lots of things we don't really want as we only really want a simple dinner for family and friends. I've personally never fancied having alcohol (beer or wine) during my wedding and good thing my fiance feels the same. We're not "Yam Seng" people, I guess. ;)

The AD is somewhere early July 2009. Do you think it's already too late to look for hotels now ah? Apparently, some people fail to get places even 1 year in advance! I'm a bit concerned about this.

Nov is a week away, therefore you only have 8 months advance to book. Knowing that many have trouble booking their venues with even with 1 year advance, you better call them up to book asap! Especially if your venue is famous/ popular for wedding dinners.

The AD is somewhere early July 2009. Do you think it's already too late to look for hotels now ah? Apparently, some people fail to get places even 1 year in advance! I'm a bit concerned about this.

hi there,

since you decide to do ur wedding dinner without alcohol, why not direct vegetarian wedding dinner ?

My wedding dinner will be held on coming Nov 100% vegetarian wedding dinner due to my hubby family is vegetarian.... honestly, sure save alcohol's $$ lol

cheers !

usually liquor or wine they charge seperately.

It's not in the menu so you might not have the chance to request for

better price.

What we've learnt is that, if you ask to lower the price,

the cook will prepare food that's equivalent to the money you paid

even thought it's the same dish.

usually liquor or wine they charge seperately.

It's not in the menu so you might not have the chance to request for

better price.

What we've learnt is that, if you ask to lower the price,

the cook will prepare food that's equivalent to the money you paid

even thought it's the same dish.

Really?? Even if we have food tastings and such? I was thinking that we may replace some things we don't really need with other things we may want. for example the free corkage thingy with maybe better dishes or something like that. Yeah, I know the pricing is quite fixed. Vege food is not really so acceptable here because I've got meat-eaters for family (well some... :rolleyes: ) haha...

Thanks!

Let me know which hotel that you nego too! If they really could exchange the free corkage to other's thing!! cause I did asked before in some other's hotel.. they said this doesn't occur any cost, therefore no add on items! <_<

Normally what happened in Kuching is you customize your own menu tat within your budget, as for corkage you can always negotiate with them, either waive all or half. I only manage to get 50% discount from their corkage charge - RM10 per carton of beer.

Unfortunately, the price will not drop (as others have already pointed out). Also, I would not count on them giving you something in replace of the free corkage. A lot of times, those places offer that in order for you to buy liquor from them. If they are not making a profit off of you buying liquor, then they will not be keen on providing you with another service that will cost them money. Their profits go down.

I realize that you all don't want any liquor there, but this is about your guests. Are you sure that serving something small, like wine, wouldn't make them happy?

At first I also don't want liquor but HB is right it is dinner for guests, I don't drink but I cannot stop them to enjoy the dinner with liquor thus I have to spare RM2k for liquor and beer.

In Kuching, since nobody drinks liquor. I personally bought red wine.

#1- I want to try myself

#2- Looks classy ^.^

In IPoh, HB has bought a lot of beer, hard liquors and wines.

Everyone can drink till mabuk.

yeah liquors/wine/beers would definitely make the guests happier. i for one, rely on these to survive through others' wedding dinner when the food turns out not to expectations :P . unless you and your guests are vegetarian, it might not be a good idea to totally remove alcohols from the dinner ;)