gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

It is possible as fish ranks quite high on the allergen list together with shellfish. I followed the angmoh recommendation and waited till Eva was nearly 11 mths old before I introduced fish and it was after I intro-ed meat like chicken and pork.

If not mistaken, kei chi is one of the chinese herbs rite? is it possible that yr bb if allergic to tht?

I tried giving Ivan porridge and steamed white pomfret with 'kei chi' today and he vomitted 7times, 2 hours after his lunch....till about 7pm only stop vomitting.... :dash2: Is he allergic to fish? Two weeks ago he had fish and then fever for the next 5days, but doctor say is viral fever.... To be on the safe side, no more fish till he's older....

purplelotus,

kei chi is called wolfberry in english, could it fall under the 'berry' category?

i have given fish to my Gina, so far so good....

ashandrea,

u gave your baby cow's milk and it causes eczema?

for the porridge huh, maybe there is some other aspect that she didnt like. What veggies did u put inside?

yogurt safe to give 8 month onwards (pls check wholesomebabyfood to confirm) i think.

First i gave nestle one, but u know, not sure how safe it is for baby, plus it comes in large tub which we cannot finish, so i started making my own at home, recipe here

Q, i put in the vege she normally eats... plus either pork or fish.... maybe it's the meat that puts her off.... let me try again...

hmmm, i tried cooking porridge without meat/fish, my girl still doesn't really like it... she will still eat, but she show funny face and cannot finish... and even if i cook the meat stock to mix with her cereal, she finishes all... wondering what's not right?!?!

anyone of u having this problem?

for the porridge huh, maybe there is some other aspect that she didnt like. What veggies did u put inside?

yogurt safe to give 8 month onwards (pls check wholesomebabyfood to confirm) i think.

First i gave nestle one, but u know, not sure how safe it is for baby, plus it comes in large tub which we cannot finish, so i started making my own at home, recipe here

Q, i put in the vege she normally eats... plus either pork or fish.... maybe it's the meat that puts her off.... let me try again...

hmmm, i tried cooking porridge without meat/fish, my girl still doesn't really like it... she will still eat, but she show funny face and cannot finish... and even if i cook the meat stock to mix with her cereal, she finishes all... wondering what's not right?!?!

anyone of u having this problem?

that is rather difficult.

my kiddo so far has been quite flexible with his food *touchwood* so far accepted most of the food i gave him.

In some case, BS told me he didnt like the banana custard, but the next day i fed him the same, he finished it up.

Like many things, i think u take a break from giving porridge, maybe try again after a few days. It is possible that Gina needs time to get used to the taste

If not mistaken, kei chi is one of the chinese herbs rite? is it possible that yr bb if allergic to tht?
I tried giving Ivan porridge and steamed white pomfret with 'kei chi' today and he vomitted 7times, 2 hours after his lunch....till about 7pm only stop vomitting.... :dash2: Is he allergic to fish? Two weeks ago he had fish and then fever for the next 5days, but doctor say is viral fever.... To be on the safe side, no more fish till he's older....

uniquesoul, ceetee,

I tried giving him 'kei chi' before and followed the four day rule, no problem. I still suspect the fish as the culprit.

Actually is my paeds recommendation that I give him 'kei chi' and red dates cos when he was admitted for, his blood result showed that he was having iron-deficiency. My paeds said that it is common among breastfed babies who do not get sufficient iron intake from solid food. FM fed babies normally do not have such problem becos most FM are fortified with iron.

I have read that too much milk intake interferes with iron absorption. Recommended milk intake for babies who have started solid is 18-24oz/day, am I right? Ivan takes around 30oz of milk a day + 2 times poriddge, lunch and dinner. I want to add another solid meal to his daily diet, breakfast. Ivan can still guzzle down 5oz of milk, one and half hours after eating a medium bowl of poriddge for lunch/dinner. My bbsitter is surprised that he can still drink so much milk after having poriddge. She said some babies 'addicted' to milk. If give him FM, he finish 3oz the most. If give EBM, he will finish up the 5oz.

AH, my paed nutritionist friend did warn me that many Asian babies suffer from iron deficiency and it usually stems from two things - too much milk (calcium binds with iron and thus the body cannot absorb it and it gets flushed out) and an inbalanced diet.

Actually, rather than opt for herbs (I drank 5L of red date and kei chi water in my first week after delivery and I was diagnose AFTER that one week with mild iron deficiency), why don't you offer him more red meat (beef, duck) and foods high in iron like spinach, beans/lentils, broccoli and such? Try googling for some idea on foods high in iron.

Also, best to start offering more textured and chunkier food instead of porridge in order to get him used to the idea of chewing.

If you need any input from my friend, I can ask her on what you could do to counter this iron deficiency problem with Ivan. Just let me know ya?

around 10mo of age, i used to be surprised at my baby's ability to gulp down 5oz milk too.. but now he rarely takes even 4oz... be it before or after meal.. or even the first milk in the morning! daily he takes abt 15oz milk only... I guess he is going towards more solids than milk...

Sanju has been down with terrible phlegm and cough recently (like again after 4 months)... mom forbid me from giving him fruits for a while... apparently it is cold and causes phlegm.. but i am worried i might be depriving him of essential vits and all, what can I do? Anyone face the same situation as me?

give red apples at room temperature.

it is those non-heaty, non-cooling, non-phlegm & cough-inducing (only) fruit (if you subscribe to those indian/chinese/malaysia/salam 1malaysia beliefs).

:lol:

kids mana boleh dont eat fruits for the day wan? they are recommended to take at least 2 servings per day instead.

give red apples at room temperature.

it is those non-heaty, non-cooling, non-phlegm & cough-inducing (only) fruit (if you subscribe to those indian/chinese/malaysia/salam 1malaysia beliefs).

kids mana boleh dont eat fruits for the day wan? they are recommended to take at least 2 servings per day instead.

i know! how to tell my mom? and hubby too? my mom convinced my hubby how cold are the fruits... i wanted to tear my hair out the other day.. mom said 'kids our time didnt take much fruits, and they didnt fall sick so much'

i asked the doc how to avoid this, but he told me, some kids are more sensitive to get cough, he didnt tell me to shutdown fruits altogether! i need to get my mom and hubby to speak to the paed

Eva will actually eat more fruits when she's sick (especially with cough) and she recovers faster than us adults - if we are all sick at the same time. And she eats fruits like strawberries, watermelon, grapes and all straight from the fridge. My mum did tell me not to give at first but when she saw how fast Eva recovered for herself, she changed her mind and told me to give Eva more fruits and veg.

hi ,may i know if its good to put cod fish to baby's porridge? ITs kinda oily but very expensive. am afraid the porridge will turn oily too..

Eva will actually eat more fruits when she's sick (especially with cough) and she recovers faster than us adults - if we are all sick at the same time. And she eats fruits like strawberries, watermelon, grapes and all straight from the fridge. My mum did tell me not to give at first but when she saw how fast Eva recovered for herself, she changed her mind and told me to give Eva more fruits and veg.

sigh, i feel so bad for my baby who cant take fruits for now... ok less work for me, but it is worth it? feel like we are not looking at the right issue at hand...

how do u feed strawberries to eva? so far my exp with strawberries are sour.. how to get sweet ones?

It's very hard to find sweet strawberries here - the inside would be the same colour as the outside and not white. Slightly sweet strawberries are still firm but soft whereas sour ones are rock hard. Try to get those that are deep red in colour with no obvious signs of bruising or rot. It'll still slightly sour but they taste better than the unripe ones.

Re fruits & parents: Look at it this way, angmoh babies have been eating a diet that is different from ours and they are doing just fine. :) I do feel that your mum must be joking when she said that kids during her time were not eating fruits - I see Lat comics showing kids during his time (he's just a few years younger than my mum who is 62) shooting down mangos, and drowning themselves in durian, mango, banana, and other tropical fruits. Worse come to worse, take them with you the next time you visit a paed OR if you can find a paed dietition, even better!

It's very hard to find sweet strawberries here - the inside would be the same colour as the outside and not white. Slightly sweet strawberries are still firm but soft whereas sour ones are rock hard. Try to get those that are deep red in colour with no obvious signs of bruising or rot. It'll still slightly sour but they taste better than the unripe ones.

Re fruits & parents: Look at it this way, angmoh babies have been eating a diet that is different from ours and they are doing just fine. :) I do feel that your mum must be joking when she said that kids during her time were not eating fruits - I see Lat comics showing kids during his time (he's just a few years younger than my mum who is 62) shooting down mangos, and drowning themselves in durian, mango, banana, and other tropical fruits. Worse come to worse, take them with you the next time you visit a paed OR if you can find a paed dietition, even better!

thx for the tips on strawberries...

i think she meant toddlers and babies.. true enuf, i remember my sister was not eating much fruits at the age of 1 plus :P i just spoke to her on the phone, and i gave her a nice lecture on how i am doing so much research on baby diet and not just shoving the food into his mouth for my own satisfaction.. phew!

we have a follow up appt with pead on next monday, and i am all ready to prove my mom wrong *evil laugh*

Well, the traditional, typical Asian diet for toddlers is mostly rice and meat or milk - not very big on fruits or veg. :/

I can understand your frustration - it's never ending with my mum. She still tries to feed Eva nuts like almonds - her reason is because they are not the same as peanuts so she cannot be allergic to them. >.<

speaking of nuts, i too was wondering if it is safe to give almonds and cashew nuts? They are brain food and contain some omega oils and stuff...

my baby is at 6 months +, before this is fully breastfed. Now started on solids. Let her try Heinz rice cereal a few times, not successful. I think she don't like it coz it's tasteless. Haha... Then, feed her with porridge with carrots. She loves it very much.

The problem is her bowel movement changed. She used to poop a few times a day, almost every time she breastfed. Now only once or twice a day, she usually cry before she poop. I tot maybe she having hard stools but her poop is still mushy soft but more concentrated/ thicker compared to poop when she was exclusively breastfed. No blood. Is this normal? Anyone had this problem? How to rectify? Help!!?

chrys, if you read the earlier posts, I remember mentioning that when starting babies with solids, it is best to alternate between grain, veg and fruit as well as colour - white, yellow, orange, red, blue/purple and green - in order to prevent constipation as well as ensure variety and a balanced diet. Variety is important because you want baby to be open to all sorts of foods, including sourish ones like yogurt and typically sour fruits. Also, DO NOT assume that just because you tasted her food and find it tasteless that she would be the same. In fact, baby's tastebuds are more sensitive than ours plus you do not want her to get too used to flavourful foods to the point where she'd start to reject bland foods. When introducing new foods, keep a straight face as babies interpret food "yumminess" based on your reaction as well.

Normally, anywhere between thrice a day to once every three days is normal - adults & babies alike. What is important is the texture and not baby's grunting or red face when poo-ing. If she cries before poo-ing, it could mean that her poo is harder than usual (breastfed poo is very soft) so that means you need to start introducing poo-inducing fruits like pear, peach, plum and veg like peas. Do note that carrots is not suitable as a first foods no matter what you may see in commercial baby food as they are high in nitrates.

tinkerbelle, urm, I'd think you wash the mango before peeling it, no? Otherwise, we would all be avoiding fruits with peel. :p

chrysalis,

i faced similar situation as you. My son who is also 6m+ just started solids have the same problem as well. only diff was he was on formula but able to poo poo almost on daily basis. when he started solids, i noticed his poo becomes looks 'sticky' and came 2-3 days once. Matters got worse few days back when he suddenly burst out crying mid of the night for no reason. then i noticed he cries even louder when he farts. and yesterday, when he poo, i noticed he pushed so hard till his tears came out! he didn't cry but i know he was trying to push his poop out, face gone all red...i almost cried when i see him suffered like that. when he finally fnished, his poo was so firm and came out like fishball size.

brought him to the paed the same day but doc didn't prescribe any med cuz she said he cleared most of his bowels. she told me to give more fruits and vege in his cereal and opt our oatmeal for the moment. (my son has oatmeal during AM and rice cereal during PM; both meals accompanied with fruits/vege) she suspected oatmeal mite be the culprit so i hv to hold back until he's a lil older. i remembered asking her if it is normal is bbaby's poo looks sticky; she said its fine so long its not firm/hard. if you're still worried, try natural remedies like Heinz prune juice or glucose :)

tinkerbelle, urm, I'd think you wash the mango before peeling it, no? Otherwise, we would all be avoiding fruits with peel. :p

haha. yep that too. then again, by running it under tap water for fruits like apple, how much wax can we remove? what i usually do is to soak it in salt water for a while before i peel and cut. some habit i picked up from my buddy's mom.

just recently i've stumbled upon 2 articles about pesticide traces even in carrots. so i've been peeling the carrots eversince instead of just washing and slicing it like angmohs.

I actually bought an organic soak specially for fruits and veg - I use it for just about anything except salad (which the hubs prepares).

Urm, I thought it was normal to peel carrots before using them. I have been doing it for ages - was taught to do so by my mum - and my HB does it - in fact, his entire family peels carrots before cooking them. :p