gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

Thanks Q!

I think I shall just batch cook lentils over the weekends then, so soak for 1 - 2 hrs, then will cook over stove top.

Would I need to fork mash it or is it ok to feed a baby that?

If I want to freeze it, do I just freeze it like purees, then reheat it & mix it with other veg?

Thanks Q!

I think I shall just batch cook lentils over the weekends then, so soak for 1 - 2 hrs, then will cook over stove top.

Would I need to fork mash it or is it ok to feed a baby that?

If I want to freeze it, do I just freeze it like purees, then reheat it & mix it with other veg?

if u have the time, soak it longer.. otherwise cooking would take long too...

i would just mash a bit, but if its really soft.. dont mash oso ok...

yeah u can mix it with veg and cereal and stuff

Femm22, when I started Eva on solids, I actually went with this list - http://baby.thescarfer.net/?page_id=441

This was the order:

Rice --> Peach ---> Sweet Potato --> Millet --> Pumpkin --> Sweet/Sugar Pea --> Barley --> Pear and so forth.

I rotate according to food group as well as colour to ensure that she gets a balanced intake of nutrients. I also started mixing after I intro-ed rice, eg 1 day peach puree alone, next day, peach and rice, etc.

Whenever I see that she doesn't poo by dinner time, I'll feed her either peach, pear or prune/plum puree - I make a lot of these and keep them in stock. No juice because I didn't want her to get used to drinking stuff other than BM and water.

Yeah I read your blog as well. It's really an inspiration for me to feed her yummy nutritious food. That's a good tip, feed her peach/pear/plum if she hasn't poo. I'm lucky I have the choice of staying at home. If I leave her to my mil I cannot imagine what she'll be feeding her. She n her relatives told me to feed her solids at 4mth old. Then when I ask her how to grind rice (I assume she has a grinder or miller coz she's taking care of my sil's daughter) she said no need can just start on porridge. My sill daughter eat porridge with carrot n potatoes everyday. Last week she told me to put some salt in her 'porridge' if not pity my baby eat bland food!! Luckily my hub is on my side. Coz he too feels their family is so used to heavily salted food. N all the food they like comes with very savory sauces. When we moved out I cook him oats, brown rice, steam fishes..etc.

may i know wat are lentils for? i googled and saw that they are in biji-biji forms... never come across this before as bb food :P

may i know where you get the letins? If in the super market. Is it together with red bean, green bean and all other dried food? Hehe.. Want to check it out too

ash is right, lentils are mostly in indian food... vegetarians eat dhal like almost every other day.. personally i love it too

u can get it from the dried food section... there are actually few types of lentils.. the one i use is the most expensive one, known as malawi or ghee dhal, RM6.50/7 per kg.. and the price is always getting higher...

Q, how do u cook the Malawi or ghee dhal? I bought lentils once but it takes forever to b soft plus it has skin which I had o later painstakingly take out.

Q, how do u cook the Malawi or ghee dhal? I bought lentils once but it takes forever to b soft plus it has skin which I had o later painstakingly take out.

malawai dhal is without skin:

Arhar_Dal.jpg

it takes a while to make it soft... either soak it overnight, and cook stove top, or just cook in pressure cooker for 10-20mins...

i usually cook the below recipe for moong dhal, can make the same for ghee dal also:

http://thebabystepsoflife.blogspot.com/201...-in-1-meal.html

in fact for the moong dal, the skin would be there, and as long as it is finely cooked, it is ok for my kid to eat...

do note that dhal on its own can have a really bitter taste, so put in some turmeric or coriander powder to make it more pleasant... or anything other suitable substitute from your own practice

My bubs just reached her 7.5 month mark, so have started feeding her meats (boneless chicken meat pureed finely) and mixed into her bowl of rice + carrot porridge. She loves it. I started her on Cerelac when she was 4 months (wasn't too keen on that one) - and from there progressed on to carrots, corn, sweet potatoes, turnips, and even spinach and ikan bilis (all pureed finely). I also give her fruit yogurt as 'treats'. I can't wait until she grows her teeth so I can begin feeding her more variety!

do note that dhal on its own can have a really bitter taste, so put in some turmeric or coriander powder to make it more pleasant... or anything other suitable substitute from your own practice

thanks for the tips!

@ babylyn,

please correct me if im wrong, i think it is quite hard for a young infant to digest corn. i did put it into the abc soup, but i have not fed my kid wif corn directly, especially when he was that young.

Babylyn, you don't hv to wait for your little one to grow teeth to give chunkier food. Babies chew with their gum :) At 7.5 mo, you can start introducing chunkiner food so that he gets to feel the different texture and not get bored with pureed food. Start off with mashed food and once he's mastered that, can give him food in bite sizes cooked till soft. You can also then give him finger food so that he can learn his pincer grasp.

My ang moh colleague's baby is 7.5 months, the same age as mine.

I saw photos of him self feeding himself bread (around adult palm sized big) and crackers the size of Jacob's crackers by himself.

Is that size & texture ok? I haven't tried any self feeding apart from rice cakes that are around 2 inches

My ang moh colleague's baby is 7.5 months, the same age as mine.

I saw photos of him self feeding himself bread (around adult palm sized big) and crackers the size of Jacob's crackers by himself.

Is that size & texture ok? I haven't tried any self feeding apart from rice cakes that are around 2 inches

i havent started any self feeding, except the occasional apple/grapes/watermelon of small bite sizes.. i dont want to risk him choking

1 to 1.5 oz for a meal a day is not a lot. 1 oz is about 30 ml. I read somewhere that once she finishes that portion, there is no need to top up otherwise you may risk overfeeding.

Your MIL is typical la - my mum was the same. When Eva started solids, the first thing she kept going on and on was porridge and putting things like scallops into the porridge. =.=

Even now, she talks about cooking porridge for Eva. I was like "Mum, she can eat noodles and rice already. Why do you want to make porridge?" She was like "Really ar? I didn't know". How convenient, especially considering when Eva was eating rice in front of her with fish and all that for CNY reunion dinner. =.=

ya...so..whenever she talk to me about giving porridge..put this..put that..i will just reply.."oh...yes...oh is it...oh...i see" i dont know if she got what I mean. but i also dont care la...i kept telling her doctor said giving her porridge after 8 mths old. so just hang to it la...not rushing anyway....nowadays...i pureed the vege in advance and ask my MIL to feed my girl the next day. Hmmm.....i actually appreciate that she able to help me taking care my girl...but well...i think as a mum..i have right to give what i think the best to my girl (even though i may not have practical experience in taking care baby before) but i do read and seek for professional advice from doctor.

oh..1oz is not a lot la...my MIL now giving my girl baby rice cereal daily..2 times a day..and i asked her to give the pureed vege to my girl as well...so..1-1.5oz she may split to 2 times feeding...or else..i think can give my girl the pureed vege as tea time...

The last time my MIL said anything that was offensive - I think it was with regards to feeding Eva with water when she was 5 mths old and I was BFing exclusively - I just kept quiet and when I was alone with my HB, I let him have it. Told him that it's not in my position to tell his mum off, that I was angry not because it hurt me but that it hurt Eva more, and that he should stick up for not me but our daughter. When she brought it up again, he told her off with "Mother, Mabel is BFing. It's 80% water so Eva doesn't need more water. It's not good for her." Then she tried to feed Eva water because Eva was intrigued with the spoon. My HB gave her that WTH look and my stepFIL fired my MIL off "Aiyo, told you already not to give her water. Why can't you listen?"

As mean as this may sound, I cannot deny that I was happy at the end of the meal. :P But yeah, since then, I haven't heard anything from her at all. In fact, she would ask me and especially my HB if it's okay for Eva to eat this or that.

yea..I also do BF-ing my girl until now (7mths old plus) and i'm proud of myself for able to go thru till now :blush:

in the beginning...my MIL also also keep telling me to give my girl water..like what your MIL said...I just ignored. even until now...i only gave my girl few spoons (baby spoon) of plain water after she had her baby rice cereal.

btw...can I ask...how long the pureed food can last if we put in the fridge?

I think it's three days max and three months for freezer - could be wrong. :)

Ash, Eva was around the same age when she was self feeding with teething biscuits and puffs. When she was 9 mths old, I gave her strips of egg yolk omelette for lunch (video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBsFO2zAjVc). This is a video of her gnawing on a teething rusk at 8 mths - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZV_5w4XWhw and another one of her enjoying a rice cracker at 7 mths 1 week old - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gur9u2mVp0. Her eating fruit at nearly 12 mths - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWg-HrteqY

Yes, I'm a big believer in letting kids gnaw on stuff but of course not alone. :)

yea..I also do BF-ing my girl until now (7mths old plus) and i'm proud of myself for able to go thru till now :blush:

in the beginning...my MIL also also keep telling me to give my girl water..like what your MIL said...I just ignored. even until now...i only gave my girl few spoons (baby spoon) of plain water after she had her baby rice cereal.

btw...can I ask...how long the pureed food can last if we put in the fridge?

erm correct me if im wrong but as i recall, fully BF babies don need water for the first 6 mths. But once they hit 6 mths and you have started solids, you havet o give more water and not just a few spoons of water.

I have one question - how do you girls normally keep the block cheese? Baby / Toddler won't eat a lot right? I bought a block and it seems like it took forever to finish. ANd I kept it in a container in the chill room in my fridge. But recently it started to have some foul smell, smell like sour milk. I have to throw half of the block away. :sad:

What should be the right way to store block cheese?

I have one question - how do you girls normally keep the block cheese? Baby / Toddler won't eat a lot right? I bought a block and it seems like it took forever to finish. ANd I kept it in a container in the chill room in my fridge. But recently it started to have some foul smell, smell like sour milk. I have to throw half of the block again. :sad:

I put in the freezer.

i cut a quarter of the block in small pieces and keep in an airtight container. The balance store air tight in the freezer too.

I have one question - how do you girls normally keep the block cheese? Baby / Toddler won't eat a lot right? I bought a block and it seems like it took forever to finish. ANd I kept it in a container in the chill room in my fridge. But recently it started to have some foul smell, smell like sour milk. I have to throw half of the block again. :sad:

I put in the freezer.

i cut a quarter of the block in small pieces and keep in an airtight container. The balance store air tight in the freezer too.

i didnt think of that (air tight container). an angmo taught me to cut it up into smaller chunks, wrap it in the foil and chuck it into the freezer.