gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

I think it looks about ok, even though people always said the amount of milk will remain the same after solids, I think there's always a slight decrease because we'd slightly increase the time in between milk feeds. I used to feed strictly every 3 hours before solids but with solids, I drag milk feeds to around 4 - 5 hours now for my 10 month old.

Mine dropped from 12 oz to around 9 oz during weekdays work hours and he's on around 3 meals of 3 oz a day along with some snacks in the afternoon.

Only suggestion I'd have is maybe slightly decrease the amount of water? 7 oz seems a bit much. If your paed is ok with it, maybe can cut down a few oz of water so it doesn't fill her little tummy up so she has more room for milk/solids. But 7 oz of water should def help with her poo!

My colls (solids + breast milk) told me it's normal for their baby to not poo everyday so it should be fine.

Heheh, you should see my baby poo! He'd stand, his face turns red, he grabs hard onto my hand for support and you can see him push. Looks as though he's in labor :lol:

Thanks! Comforting to know that it's not too far off... I did read somewhere that difficulty/being fussy passing stool might not be an indication of constipation, but I'm still worried, so have stopped rice cereal & apple totally and give prune puree every other day.

On the water intake bit, i suspect she prefer taking water than milk because water is given in a sippy while milk from bottle. So what I suggested to the bbsitter was, when she refuse milk from bottle, give it to her in the sippy, and my bbsitter tried it yesterday, it works, at least she finish 3oz out of 5oz offered :lol:

But i can't tell my MIL that, cos the last time i suggested that, she object violently, saying that babies who don't drink from milk bottles will self wean from milk very quickly, like around 1 yo. Not sure where she come up with that theory. But I didn't tell her what I was thinking, which is, I don't intend to offer formula, so once she's weaned off breastmilk, she will be drinking cow's milk from the cup anyway, so i can naturally wean off bottle at an early stage, instead of having headache of a primary school kid who still have his milk from a bottle (actual case - my bro :wacko3: )

Yeah ... maybe what you can do is get sippies in 2 different colors, 1 color for milk, 1 for plain water so your baby will know what she's drinking.

Tell me about it! My friend's kids are both in primary school and still drinking FM from milk bottles which was why I've moved my baby from milk in sippy to milk in straw cup asap.

About weaning from milk, my friend's lactation consultant told her when she stopped breastfeeding, her kids didn't want to drink milk so she's fine with that. I think if they don't want milk, as long as they're taking dairy from yogurt, cheese and you can sneak milk into stuff like pancakes, oats + milk, it should be fine.

Old folks always have a lot of interesting theories :lol: My MIL told hubby that we shouldn't feed bb too much (breast)milk when he was having diarrhea. Hello, he's a baby! If he doesn't drink milk, what do you want him to eat then? Porridge + plain water?!

thank u all mummies.. think I need to reschedule my gal's food intake in-order to fit in the solid food :blush: I have another question, is it we must introduce cerel to my gal for the first solid food? Im searching the solid cerel for my gal now seems like bit hard to get heizs' cerel in the market.. :unsure:

it's not a must to give rice cereal, but it is a very popular first food for a few reason:

- it's plain and not sweet so that babies can accept food with different taste later on?

- it's easy to prepare - you can manage the consistency & dilute it to really watery when you first introduce solid and slowly thicken it to let your baby get used to thicker semi-solid; you can prepare very small portion when your baby first start, they tend to just take a few baby spoon, as compared to if you introduce avocado, it browns really quickly and you'll need fresh avocado everyday... if 1 avocado costs 5bucks... it cost quite a lot by the time your baby starts to love avocado :cool:

A colleague gave me 'Only' organic rice cereal, which works fine and have no added stuff, but not so easy to dissolve in my warm EBM. Also, it's not iron-fortified. Now I use Bellamy porridge, which is finer and easier to dissolve, smelled great too. I didn't buy happy bellies as the can is much bigger than Bellamy's pack. I don't give lots of cereal so the Bellamy pack will last me quite long already. I think it's not the brand that matters but the ingredients in it, so whichever brand you go for, have a look at the list of ingredients to make sure there's no added sugar, potential allergens like wheat, soy, gluten etc

I gave lentils to my gal she dont like it i think mayb it just too sticky & made her uncomfortable after eating it... I plan to try barley can any one advice how to cook it?

I usually mix 1-2 tablespoon of lentils, 3 tablespoon of carrots with millets (recipe for 3 babies). They love it

You could try chickpeas too... looks like peanut butter :)

As for barley, I usually blend the raw barley into powdery form, then only cook it. Else it is too lumpy

Helena,

I check ur blog i found the barley u used & the one I bought not the same type... urs is white in color mine is like brown & its called Pearl Barley... Anyone can help on this?

Hi Crasygal,

I do not give my gal those rice cereal sell in the market, I given her organic brown rice + Millet + Quaino + vegi & blended it together & feed her... of course I introduce one by one until I was mix & match them daily now...

She still have her BM till now coz I replaced 2 solid meal a day & normally if take BM will feed on 3hrs gap but if solid will drag to 4hrs... so bcoz of this sure her BM intake will lesser... btw in between we also gave her fruit puree & yogurt...

My gal drink plenty of water she can finish up to 14oz water a day but funny is she still hard to poo & had blood after poo poo... :ohmy: pity her everytime cry while poo poo... I wonder where goes wrong... anyone can advice this?

I gave lentils to my gal she dont like it i think mayb it just too sticky & made her uncomfortable after eating it... I plan to try barley can any one advice how to cook it?

I usually mix 1-2 tablespoon of lentils, 3 tablespoon of carrots with millets (recipe for 3 babies). They love it

As for barley, I usually blend the raw barley into powdery form, then only cook it. Else it is too lumpy

Helena,

I check ur blog i found the barley u used & the one I bought not the same type... urs is white in color mine is like brown & its called Pearl Barley... Anyone can help on this?

I thought pearl barley is more white...

not really sure the difference, but i just google on the types of barley, found this website, http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainBarley.html

description and pictures of barley, very brief and informative.

:)

I gave them quinoa too. They love it. But only the white quinoa, red is harder, sometimes I do mix slightly inside. The black one is No-No.. the hull is just too hard.

Hi Q where to get heinz rice cereal ah?

sometimes giant or tesco oso can get

otherwise find at those cold storage or jaya grocers

if i am not mistaken they are no more available here.. discontinued or something.. some frens have been buying gerber's instead

Helena,

not really sure the difference, but i just google on the types of barley, found this website, http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainBarley.html

I gave them quinoa too. They love it. But only the white quinoa, red is harder, sometimes I do mix slightly inside. The black one is No-No.. the hull is just too hard.

I think this one I bought is hulled barley... can I gave this? I do mix the three types of quinoa... if like what u said i shd removed the black one...

Helena,

I think this one I bought is hulled barley... can I gave this? I do mix the three types of quinoa... if like what u said i shd removed the black one...

Ya, better remove the black one for the time being. I tried tasting the black quinoa before giving to them.. it is very rough and difficult to swallow, so it ended up as my dinner.

Do we have another forum for finger food?

thank u all mummies.. think I need to reschedule my gal's food intake in-order to fit in the solid food :blush: I have another question, is it we must introduce cerel to my gal for the first solid food? Im searching the solid cerel for my gal now seems like bit hard to get heizs' cerel in the market.. :unsure:

it's not a must to give rice cereal, but it is a very popular first food for a few reason:

- it's plain and not sweet so that babies can accept food with different taste later on?

- it's easy to prepare - you can manage the consistency & dilute it to really watery when you first introduce solid and slowly thicken it to let your baby get used to thicker semi-solid; you can prepare very small portion when your baby first start, they tend to just take a few baby spoon, as compared to if you introduce avocado, it browns really quickly and you'll need fresh avocado everyday... if 1 avocado costs 5bucks... it cost quite a lot by the time your baby starts to love avocado :cool:

A colleague gave me 'Only' organic rice cereal, which works fine and have no added stuff, but not so easy to dissolve in my warm EBM. Also, it's not iron-fortified. Now I use Bellamy porridge, which is finer and easier to dissolve, smelled great too. I didn't buy happy bellies as the can is much bigger than Bellamy's pack. I don't give lots of cereal so the Bellamy pack will last me quite long already. I think it's not the brand that matters but the ingredients in it, so whichever brand you go for, have a look at the list of ingredients to make sure there's no added sugar, potential allergens like wheat, soy, gluten etc

qiqi81,

thank u for ur reply.. will try to search on those products there's no added suger, potential allergens etc.. :smile: I have another question.. old ppl said solid will be 'heathy' for them and they must drink lots of water so that they wouldn't have constipation... how if my gal don't drink much water as she don't like to drink plain water.. is it I have to give her high fiber food instate of normal food so that she will not have constipation issue? :unsure:

Hi Crasygal,

I do not give my gal those rice cereal sell in the market, I given her organic brown rice + Millet + Quaino + vegi & blended it together & feed her... of course I introduce one by one until I was mix & match them daily now...

She still have her BM till now coz I replaced 2 solid meal a day & normally if take BM will feed on 3hrs gap but if solid will drag to 4hrs... so bcoz of this sure her BM intake will lesser... btw in between we also gave her fruit puree & yogurt...

My gal drink plenty of water she can finish up to 14oz water a day but funny is she still hard to poo & had blood after poo poo... :ohmy: pity her everytime cry while poo poo... I wonder where goes wrong... anyone can advice this?

wsyrinrin,

I'm not good in cooking and I seldom cook so I plan to introduce cereal to her then only learn how to cook for her.. :tongue:

I plan to stop BF coz my health condition but I will stop slowly.. plan to fully stop when she 9 mths old :sad:

My gal don't like to drink water... now Im worried after I introduce solid and formula to her.. she will have constipation.. :sad: not easy to be a parents.. I miss my parents now.. :sad:

It depends on what you mean by high fiber food, if your baby doesn't drink water and you feed her starchy food like sweet potato, pumpkin, it might make constipation worse.

Why don't you try drinking from a cup, then sharing your cup with her & make fun faces? It might encourage her to drink more water.

Also food like rice, banana, apple might make constipation worse. You can try plums, pears, peas & prunes for constipation :smile:

Hi Crasygal,

wsyrinrin,

I'm not good in cooking and I seldom cook so I plan to introduce cereal to her then only learn how to cook for her.. :tongue:

I plan to stop BF coz my health condition but I will stop slowly.. plan to fully stop when she 9 mths old :sad:

My gal don't like to drink water... now Im worried after I introduce solid and formula to her.. she will have constipation.. :sad: not easy to be a parents.. I miss my parents now.. :sad:

Re constipation, it depends on the food she's eating - high fiber foods like brown rice, fruits like bananas & apples plus starches will definitely increase the chances of constipation if that's all they eat. It should be balanced out with not just water but other fruits like grapes, pears, papaya, etc and vegetables. If your child has constipation or is prone to it, then ease up on introducing new foods and give your kiddo a rest. That basically means stop introducing new foods for a few weeks so that your child's tummy has time to adjust to all the solids that s/he has been eating.

Also, it's never too late to start learning a lifelong skill like cooking - I'm sure you want your child to learn how to cook too right? So lead by example...this applies to everything, including getting her to like water. :)

qiqi81,

thank u for ur reply.. will try to search on those products there's no added suger, potential allergens etc.. :smile: I have another question.. old ppl said solid will be 'heathy' for them and they must drink lots of water so that they wouldn't have constipation... how if my gal don't drink much water as she don't like to drink plain water.. is it I have to give her high fiber food instate of normal food so that she will not have constipation issue? :unsure:

Like what the other says, from western medicine perspective, it's probably not 'heatiness' but more like the food that's introduced to ur baby might be constipating/does not help in poo-ing

If we look at how our parents introduce solids, babies around 4-6 months will take plain rice cereal and nothing else for 2 months, on top of milk, no wonder la constipated. I think there's only so much water would help. My girl loves her water, we have to stop her or else she can easily down 100ml water with each solid meal, and yet, she does show some difficulty in pooping, if I feed more of cereal & starchy vege instead of the poo-inducing fruits n vege. So far the 1 food that works wonder would be prune puree, worked everytime. Her fruit staple also include pear, but there seemed to be little effect on her. But since she loves pear, why not?

hi, is it okay to use a juicer to make purees?? sorry it sound stupid but I just never use any blender or juicer before... pls advise thanks.

I don't think so the juicer will remove fibers, seeds and etc to produce just liquid and it won't work on all vegetables whereas a blender will blend up everything from seeds to fiber, etc. But that's just what I think. :)

I don't think so the juicer will remove fibers, seeds and etc to produce just liquid and it won't work on all vegetables whereas a blender will blend up everything from seeds to fiber, etc. But that's just what I think. :)

what u commenting is make sense... then I should get a blender to make purees for my boy... tx mei.

dear mummies,

may i know how you all prepared avocado for babies? my son is going to be 8mths.

I want to intro avocado to him. However the avocado that I bought is hard like rock.

i think it's impossible for me to mash it. Unless i use food processor.

Do i need to steam it before serving it? :P :P

The avocado is suppose to be black colour on the skin when its ripe. And when u press, its suppose to be soft.

It mashed really easily with a potato masher. Maybe urs r not ripe?

I serve with some formula...

dear mummies,

may i know how you all prepared avocado for babies? my son is going to be 8mths.

I want to intro avocado to him. However the avocado that I bought is hard like rock.

i think it's impossible for me to mash it. Unless i use food processor.

Do i need to steam it before serving it? :P :P

the good ones are usually sold in village grocer. i prefer sunway giza's village grocer, also it's nearer to me than the bangsar's branch. buy those from australia. not those sold in giant or carrefour or tesco. they are smaller, hence cheaper and they are from south africa.

one tip is to check for soft (rotten) spot at the tip. usually a sign of overripe fruit, when you get home and slice it, it's bad all over.

another thing to do is to feel it all over the fruit, if there is a dent, usually a sign of mishandling of fruit, it may have turned bad also.

When it's ripe, you can mash it very easily with a fork.

Can serve as it is but it's very blend, tastes exactly like butter. If you want to sweeten it, can mix it with banana.

I usually mash it with yogurt (so my baby doesn't spit out out the pieces of avocado) and serve it with other fruits.

Another tip is don't keep it in the fridge, won't ripen easily. Keep it outside on the kitchen counter. If you keep it together with some bananas, it'll get ripe even faster.

seriously, i went to jusco i saw it i trying to get a soft or ripe ones but all this hard like stone!

so i didnt buy.

then i went to pasar malam and saw it and i try to choose a ripe ones still all are hard..

hmm so i just buy it and put inside the fridge for few days already but still hard..

there are 2 types of avocado i found in jusco. One will became dark green when ripe the other one still green when ripe. Both will be soft but not dent easily when ripe. Usually i'll get 3 in a box for better offer and all is green and hard. When i want to serve it, i'll wrap it with newspaper or put it in paper bag and put on dry place. It will ripe in 2 or 3 days compare to 4 to 5 days over the counter by itself. I like to buy the green (hard one) so i can control when i want to serve it.

forget to tell you... I keep the other 2 in fridge first. So now you can take yours and let it cool down to room temp and wrap it. Check every day so you won't missed it when it ripe. Enjoy your avocado soon.. :)

The general rule is that if you want to ripen anything, do not put it in the fridge. Should leave it outdoors at room temp.