gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

I've made before rice stew & frozen it, no issues with angin *touch wood*

Have you tried Bellemy's baby pasta? I see Cold Storage now carrying it. I usually serve that with veg puree and because it's so tiny, it cooks really fast, even faster than it takes to warm up food.

I've given up making omelettes as it's so hard for me to sieve out the yolk from the white and have been feeding my baby hard boiled egg yolk (MIL finishes the hard boiled egg white, LOL) Can't wait for baby to turn 1 year old next month so I can start introducing whole eggs, honey, etc which is going to make cooking a lot easier for me.

He's incredibly fussy & I've been very frustrated feeding him food lately!

shall try baby pasta then, at least something different :D

Tried my first baby omelette every, and she loved it, although there were more carrots & brocolli than egg yolk :P

I tried a trick I saw on FB, use a ladle to 'scoop' out the yolk from the white, and it worked miraculously. Initially i tried the little hole to pour the egg white out and retain the yolk in the shell, but there are still some leftover egg white in the shell. So Ash, maybe u can try that?

Tinkerbelle, totally agree with Ash, try cutting the vegetables into fancy shapes, i still remember i'll eat them all when i was a kid when my mum cut the carrots into star shape, she has to eat all the leftover non-star shapes though :wacko3:

hi all, when u say 'raw vege' does it mean totally non-cooked vege even without mild steam? sorry ah just to make sure so I can serve the same for my kiddo... not now but just to get ready hehe :)

Yeah, totally raw veg, like salad, veg sticks (carrot, celery, etc) :smile:

Will be a good snack for kids, but not sure when can I start hard veggies like carrots without steaming as I'm scared might be still hard for them to chew on it.

ic.. tx ash... mayb u can try to give in fine slice instead of stick in the beginning... ?

Yeah, totally raw veg, like salad, veg sticks (carrot, celery, etc) :smile:

Will be a good snack for kids, but not sure when can I start hard veggies like carrots without steaming as I'm scared might be still hard for them to chew on it.

thanks for the cookie cutter tips.

i think if i serve it raw with/out shapes, my kid will chomp on it too. he's going for hard, crunchy texture now, but cutting it into shapes will bring a smile on his face and it's something i look forward to, every minute. hehe.

yea i totally forgot about the dips. will go shop for it. i too, am quite lazy. going to start 2 jobs soon, so will look into having it dipping into honey, yogurt, hummus, or even mustard. haha.

yesterday my FIL said he read some newspaper saying soybean/tofu is bad for babies/ kids... i dun belif and google a bit (coz sometimes he's full of nonsense :tongue: ) just finished googling and indeed few webs saying its bad ~ 1. slow brain development 2. high estrogen level leading to gays (for male) 3. equivalent to birth control pills 4. child abuse to feed soy formula milk (for those alergic to cow's milk) etc etc etc

wat u mummies think? any comment/ input?

i just only let my son try silken tofu last week and now my hubby bans me from feeding it anymore. :unsure:

I personally think soy in small amounts is ok. It's not like he eats a whole block of tofu a day.

Meat isn't that good either, if you go google, there's plenty of negative stuff about antibiotic & hormone injections that people use in livestock. Seafood in polluted waters are the same. There's also pesticides on fruits & veg (go google what happens to people that work as fruit pickers after years)

I feel that moderation is the key, a bit of everything is fine.

copious amount of anything on daily basis will lead to one thing or the other (sickness/disease/etc).

moderation. we talk about this subject, a lot, when it comes to toddler's nutrition. give a balanced diet which consists of anything and everything from all groups of food. coupled with enough sunshine, "exercise" and sleep, you'll have a healthy and happy kid.

Hi mommies,

Can 6-7month old baby take pureed spinach? I read from somewhere that spinach contains nitrates and should only be given after 8month old. Also, spinach should not be recooked, so I wonder if it is safe to freeze and reheat them for babies? Please advice. TQ

yalor I read from some articles also saying that vege (not only spinach) should not be put overnite (either in fridge or freezer) and reheat ... say it will release dont know what chemical thingy which will cause cancer.... so I wonder should I freeze puree for my baby... coz u see I need to steam the vege... mash it.. freeze it.... then reheat it...?? anybody can enlighten me if the above is not true actually...?

Hi mommies,

I am planning to introduce avocados to my boy. May I know if I could puree the avocado and freeze them so I could pass to the nanny to feed my boy daily (applying 4-day rule)? Will it brown/spoiled if I put the pureed avocados in the freezer. Sorry for the silly questions. Thanks.

Avocados won't get spoiled but they'll get brown, same like apples & most fruits.

For avocados, what I usually do is scoop it out in chunks, freeze them in baby cube/air tight container.

Pass them to MIL like that.

When she wants to serve baby, she lets it thaw in fridge, then only mash before serving. I prefer doing it this way so only the outside turns brown but the inside of the avocado is still green.

i would slice the avocado with skin on than freeze it. When want to eat, thaw it in the fridge and mash. Yes, the outer layer will brownish, but not the meat that covered by the skin.

These days my 13months so so so fussy while i feed her. Tried to change the texture, the taste (adding cheese or pan fry using butter for fish), let her feed herself, giving something to play... still no luck. Feeding like in battle field... I don't want let her watch the tv and eat. For mommies that facing same problem, what you did? Thanks.

Thanks ashandrea and lyven for the advice. I happened to have a small organic purple/red cabbage at home. Wonder if purple cabbage is okay for a 6-7mo baby?

lyven - tell me about it :lol: If you find the answer, let me know. I'm having the same issue as you now.

I've kind of given up feeding my 11 month old in a high chair.

I change the texture to be like adult food, put his food in an adult plate with adult spoon and I pretend to eat it. He'll come to me & want to try a mouth.

I tarik harga a bit, pretend that he's not allowed to eat it & I eat a few mouths. Then he'll start voicing really loud he wants it and then I'll cut small piece, let him eat a mouth. He decides it's good & then wants some more. He can finish his whole portion like this.

Have tried his trick a few times, hopefully he doesn't realise that I eat 2 dinners now (his and my own adult dinner!)

I think I might just stop cooking his baby food and just let him eat adult food. Just need time on weekends to cook adult food without salt/jar sauces/meat in batches.

ashandrea... That's trick not working with my baby... She don't like chop food others than her biscuit, fruits and bread. So funny.... I notice she can chew very well on that but not steam vegi, small piece of meat, piece of fish and pasta.. She feel geli and spit it out. I stil give her now and than.. for now, her food still have to be mash.. T.T

My baby's the same, he loves fruits, bread, baby biscuits. He can fight with me for durian, grab hold of my t-shirt and keep wanting more. Wish he can be that enthusiastic about his veg :lol:

I've tried everything, pureeing, baking, mixing into rice/pasta. He'll spit it out onto the floor.

Should I at least feel happy he eats fresh fruit?

Sometimes I'm tired from work & lazy to fight him to eat a "real" dinner, I just feed him:

yogurt + wheatgerm + flaxseed + fruit

oatmeal + fruit

french toast

I've had success recently with the below, so might try adding different/more veg:

pasta + cheese sauce + dice veg very small so he doesn't see too much of it

apple + carrot + lentil + cheese + wheatgerm

Will take the time during raya holidays to try pizza, pumpkin soup, quiche

Sometimes I'm tired from work & lazy to fight him to eat a "real" dinner, I just feed him:

yogurt + wheatgerm + flaxseed + fruit

oatmeal + fruit

french toast

I've had success recently with the below, so might try adding different/more veg:

pasta + cheese sauce + dice veg very small so he doesn't see too much of it

apple + carrot + lentil + cheese + wheatgerm

Will take the time during raya holidays to try pizza, pumpkin soup, quiche

U know what? ur lazy meals sound better than my normal meal :dash2: Actually fed her applesauce + oatmeal for lunch last sunday, she ate like 5 baby spoons?!

I too having problem feeding her, the strangest part is, bbsitter seems to have less issue with feeding, she managed to feed the porridge made from 2 tablespoon of raw brownrice+millet, and some vege - probably 2oz + 1 breakfast - usually fruit+yogurt and 1 eggyolk twice a week. She did mention sometimes my dotter would refuse to sit on the highchair and she would carry her to feed... I have to close one eye lor

When I feed, it's quite rare when she can finish >1oz in 1 meal. I guess she's very distracted and excited when she's outside, or even at home with us, where she would prefer to crawl around or have us playing with her.I too tried to vary her meals on weekends since she's getting porridge most of the time on weekdays. Tried different texture too... steam soft egg yolk seemed so yummy to me, but she didn't even eat 1/3 :wacko3: seems to prefer harder stuff like bread, brocolli, then the creamy avocado or purees... sigh, have to try harder... else her growth percentile might go down even more

What is it with our babies & eating with us?! Do they see us as pushovers? Hubby told me the same thing. MIL can feed him in a highchair and he finishes most of his food, sometimes she has success feeding him veg too.

My breaking point was last weekend.

I thought maybe my meals were too bland and since he's getting closer to be a toddler, I need to let go and let him try eating outside food. Tried feeding him grilled veg + bean salad at Nando's. He spat it out. We ended up buying him wholemeal bread and he ate it all very happily. I was soooo upset.

Have to keep reminding myself to be patient and just keep trying different varieties. If he doesn't want to eat, just offer fruit as a snack. Might ask my doctor for recommendation for a vitamin supplement for when he's past 1 year old if he continues not wanting to eat veggies.

What is it with our babies & eating with us?! Do they see us as pushovers? Hubby told me the same thing. MIL can feed him in a highchair and he finishes most of his food, sometimes she has success feeding him veg too.

My breaking point was last weekend.

I thought maybe my meals were too bland and since he's getting closer to be a toddler, I need to let go and let him try eating outside food. Tried feeding him grilled veg + bean salad at Nando's. He spat it out. We ended up buying him wholemeal bread and he ate it all very happily. I was soooo upset.

Have to keep reminding myself to be patient and just keep trying different varieties. If he doesn't want to eat, just offer fruit as a snack. Might ask my doctor for recommendation for a vitamin supplement for when he's past 1 year old if he continues not wanting to eat veggies.

maybe yr MIL has a special method or something that gets him eating veg?

i do notice my son too is sometimes selective in the way he behaves during meal times... certain food fed by my mom would pass, but if i give, he will eat like a sparrow...

Hi mommies, I am planning to introduce avocados to my boy. May I know if I could puree the avocado and freeze them so I could pass to the nanny to feed my boy daily (applying 4-day rule)? Will it brown/spoiled if I put the pureed avocados in the freezer. Sorry for the silly questions. Thanks.
it took me a while to serving avocado right. now i'll give half at one go. these r the few tricks i learn on the web. roll avocado on kitchen counter so the flesh will not stick to the seed. to keep the other half in fridge or freezer, keep the seed, wrap in cling wrap then put in airtight container, minimal browning even after 2 days in the seed. i tried puree n keep in fridge, brown badly on the next day. hope ur baby loves it, my girl is ok with it, but prefers it with yogurt so it's not so bland

I reckon kids are smart and sense this whole power play thing - yes, maybe your MIL is more firm? It's the same with my HB. I'm the firm one when it comes to diet so Eva never can say no to me but with my HB, she will go "No", "Dunwan", etc. Funny thing is that if I take over right after she says "No", she'll quietly but begrudgingly eat it. :p