gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

If he doesn't want to eat, just offer fruit as a snack. Might ask my doctor for recommendation for a vitamin supplement for when he's past 1 year old if he continues not wanting to eat veggies.

i wont resort to that. i will make "kwan choy tong" (fast boil vege soup), and puree it with meat if i have to, and let him drink the pureed soup. it's a good alternative. plus he wont know there's vege in it. since he likes bread so much, you can toast the bread and let him dip it in the pureed soup (add cream/milk for more volume) macam angmo dining style.

or u can blanch the veges and puree with yogurt as dips also. you may dip it with lightly blanched asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower etc if he prefers crunchy veges.

good or not my tips?

:lol:

how often mommies serve baked or pan fried food for baby? Would it more heaty? Warned from eldery, it's heaty...

A lot of my baby recipes were either baked or dry pan fry (no oil) - no issues with heatiness. In fact, baking helps retain more flavour than steaming.

Also, sometimes it's the style of cooking that affects whether our kids want to eat the item or not. Since we came to France, we have been staying with my FIL and his wife. His wife likes to use frozen veg and takes off the peel off vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, etc. When she cooks food like ratatouille, she really overcooks them and the result is very mushy and very boring looking veg. We always have issues trying to get Eva to eat the food she cooks but when I cook up some stuff, even though it's simple but I use fresh ingredients, etc, Eva finishes them without a complaint.

she's not french. haha.

ashandrea,

can try replace mayo with the "dip" and slab on sandwiches or crackers.

i dont serve aesthetic looking food to my kid. so long i use the freshest ingredient, best cut, and natural flavouring with A - Z nutrients, i am done.

Tinkerbelle, actually she is...just that I don't like to cook vegetables until they are very mushy, etc. And since my arrival, I've only been making angmoh food like pasta, risotto, etc and no Asian stuff. :)

Lyven, yup, just pan fry using non-stick pan or wok with no oil or fat. Rely on the natural oils in the meat or water from the veg to prevent it from burning. :)

Baking's expensive as it consumes a lot of electricity and you need quite some time if you're baking whole fruit! But makes fruit (yummm, with butter & cinnamon) and veg tastes so much better. A lot of my friends like steamed sweet potato but I prefer it baked with a bit of olive oil rubbed onto the skin.

When I get over my phobia of serving my baby sugar, I'll bake for him Mei's & Bunny's cakes. Mei's cream cheese cake is my hubby's favourite and I like Bunny's hot milk cake.

I found this food from the wholesome baby food web... 'plain whole milk yogurt'... can somebody advise where to get this yogurt? wat brand carry this kind of yogurt as can see in majority of the super market ?

I found this food from the wholesome baby food web... 'plain whole milk yogurt'... can somebody advise where to get this yogurt? wat brand carry this kind of yogurt as can see in majority of the super market ?

paul's. cant find it in majority of supermarkets. either cold storage near angmo places ie bangsar, mont kiara, klcc or village grocers. but kota damansara's village grocer dont carry paul's plain yogurt anymore. i have stopped yogurt for some reason, but if i want to start it in my kid's diet again, i will call the village grocer kota damansara to bring in the stocks again. cant expect me to drive all the way to bangsar just to buy a yogurt right?

paul's. cant find it in majority of supermarkets. either cold storage near angmo places ie bangsar, mont kiara, klcc or village grocers. but kota damansara's village grocer dont carry paul's plain yogurt anymore. i have stopped yogurt for some reason, but if i want to start it in my kid's diet again, i will call the village grocer kota damansara to bring in the stocks again. cant expect me to drive all the way to bangsar just to buy a yogurt right?

ic... then i dont think subang parade cold storage is the place lor.... there not really a lot of ang moh in subang area I think....

Can also try any plain, full fat yogurt. Look for ones with less ingredients. Most important thing is no sugar, no flavoring & no colors.

There're also a few types of yogurt that Cold Storage carries, can't remember the name, but they're all imported.

Greek yogurt is also good.

I'm currently making my own yogurt with Easiyo.

I think I got mine from either Giant or Jaya 33 Grocer - Farmers Union, Pauls or any plain unflavoured yoghurt. If it's low fat, they'll usually write that on the packaging.

maybe some of the mummies here experience this before. i went out with a bunch of unimates with kids. most of them are 2+, the cafe we went to have kiddie menu n somehow everyone ordered sausage set for their kids. my baby is only 9 mo, so obviously i didn't order any for her. instead i took out the puff n wholemeal bread to feed her. then one of my fren try to coax her dotter to offer a sausage to my baby, of course i decline. then she started 'lecturing' me that baby by 9mo can eat sausage already la, y u torture ur baby like that. so i say i don't want to give her anything salty yet. n u know wat is the best part? her dotter has severe allergy reaction against egg n peanuts, so i was really cauught offguard for her to say things like that. wat is the appropriate reaction for this kind of comments other than to ignore?

I think your answer is good enough but I'd add the following "Sausage is nothing but leftover junk and fat - not very healthy or nutritious for a baby much or less a toddler".

Sometimes my HB's friend will feed Eva stuff from his plate and using the same spoon (EWWWWWW) OR will give Eva very salty or oily stuff. My HB will just tell him that it's not suitable for her coz she's too young, it's too oily or salty. Whenever we go out with him, we make sure he sits far far away from Eva.

My MIL's hubby tried to give Eva jam - homemade but just jam - and Eva opened her mouth ultra wide and I just went "NO!" to Eva. My MIL scolded her hubby. When Eva wanted to try this very salty paste that's made from cream and prawn's eggs, I said no to Eva and my MIL's hubby was like "Why can't she take it?" and my MIL was like "Coz her mother said no and besides, Eva's too young for such things and it's too salty for her." End of discussion. :p

mostly i get this kind of statement from my IL... My answer was almost like yours. It was too salty or it contain too much sugar or it is not healthy or it's not suit her...

While they said ok to feed mash potato from the restaurant, but i feel it's not suitable for her. The chef sure have put lots of butter or margarine and worst case msg...

In the case of mash potatoes from restaurants, I don't really like those for kids coz if it's anything like KFC, there is nothing "potato" about it. It's mostly flour and thickening agents. I prefer that they give me the actual potato itself.

then she started 'lecturing' me that baby by 9mo can eat sausage already la, y u torture ur baby like that. so i say i don't want to give her anything salty yet. n u know wat is the best part? her dotter has severe allergy reaction against egg n peanuts, so i was really cauught offguard for her to say things like that. wat is the appropriate reaction for this kind of comments other than to ignore?

Eating a sausage at 9 months?! That's crazy.

I'm trying to force myself to be more open minded about my baby eating out :lol: So hard to get over my paranoid instincts. We were at a gelato place the other day & I'd to stop myself from pushing hubby's spoon away from feeding him a few crumbs of oreos, a few licks of gelato.

thanks girls. mable, sometimes having angmoh inlaws have its perks. they r less intrusive n dont'y try to dictate your life. for immediate family i'm not so worried, mymum will trust me to do the right thing n would not interfere. have already talked to my mil a few times on my intention of not giving salty food until she's much older, n no gravy in the rice. my excuse is, my fil has high blood pressure his whole life n yet eating anything slightly more healthy like brown rice, less salty food is likely to kill him faster. till this date he still nag me for only serving brown rice n non-salty food in my house after his bypass surgery. so i think my mil bought the idea n is ok with me serving brown rice porridge with no ikan bilis n dried scallops. my fil on the other hand always say my baby hates the food i give her cos she make faces. well, i basically gave up on giving him any diet advice since he thinks i'm giving him a hard life, n not his unhealthy diet for the past 60 years

when give sausages to infant, pls must cut into small small small pieces. My client's bb 15mths, was choking and death because of nanny gave her eat small sausages.