gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

i just bought my Bellamy's baby rice cereal online.. since i bought my cerealac liao, can i mix 1 scoop Bellamy's and 1 scoop Cerealac for my 6month old boy?

sure; i dun see whynot :wub:

i just bought my Bellamy's baby rice cereal online.. since i bought my cerealac liao, can i mix 1 scoop Bellamy's and 1 scoop Cerealac for my 6month old boy?

thanks joey for the reply. finally bought my Bellamy's online liao.. from babyloft.com.

besides this web, any other website that sell reliable baby food online?

Need advice, with so many adults now becoming vegetarian, what do you think of raising a semi veg toddler?

He's 14 months now, eats fish, milk products, eggs & fruits/veggies. He's also eaten stuff that has been cooked with meat (eg chicken porridge but doesn't eat the actual meat). He doesn't eat fish everyday, maybe 4 - 5 times a week.

My only concern is iron but I guess I could let him eat pork once a week.

Do you all think this is ok? Main reason I'm doing this is for health. I've seen a lot of adults going through health scares & turn vegetarian.

I know when he's older, we prob can't stop him & he can eat what he wants but at least I've let him eat healthy from the start.

I think that it's fine. If you look at my kiddo's diet before my parents came - my mum cooks EVERYTHING with meat - she was eating more veg & fruits than meat. No issues with her health there. If you're concerned about iron, can give iron fortified breakfast cereals. :)

Thanks Mabel, what sort of breakfast cereals can you feed a toddler? I know muesli is a no-no because of the raw nuts inside. Do they sell special muesli for toddlers?

not all mueslis have raw nuts in it. you can go thru the ingredient list and check it out. u can try wholegrain cereals mixed with fruits + milk for your toddler.

You can make your own if you're concerned about allergies, nuts, etc. Muesli is just simply a mix of rolled oats, fruits and nuts. I make my own with cornflakes, spelt puffs, and dried fruits (raisins, etc) when Eva was 12 mths old and still too young for nuts. Once she hit 1.5 yo and was eating nuts, I gave her regular muesli.

how long we can keep those frozen purees in the freezer?

I have found the answer here: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/FreezePage.htm

But the problem is both my mom and my MIL against the idea of storing baby food that way. They asked me to prepare the food fresh everyday. Actually it is ok for me to prepare the food every morning, just that I am not sure how to prepare so small portion of food. For e.g. my baby only takes 3 table spoon of porridge everyday, let say I want to make him carrot porridge, is that means I puree a small portion of carrot and cook with porridge? Can I use pan to make cook the porridge and then blend with blender?

Please advice me... Thanks

how long we can keep those frozen purees in the freezer?

I have found the answer here: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/FreezePage.htm

But the problem is both my mom and my MIL against the idea of storing baby food that way. They asked me to prepare the food fresh everyday. Actually it is ok for me to prepare the food every morning, just that I am not sure how to prepare so small portion of food. For e.g. my baby only takes 3 table spoon of porridge everyday, let say I want to make him carrot porridge, is that means I puree a small portion of carrot and cook with porridge? Can I use pan to make cook the porridge and then blend with blender?

Please advice me... Thanks

My MIL said the same, while my mom only insisted that porridge cannot be overnight or frozen(it cause wind wor). So I do puree n freeze fruits sometimes. But I do try to make fresh food as often as I could lor.

What I do is this - I don't serve porridge until she's 8 months and take more solid food. So by then, I'll cook 1 tablespoon of rice & 1 tablespoon of millet in the slowcooker with vege(usually carrot or pumpkin) n few slices of ginger overnight. Then in the morning I'll steam green vege (brocolli/spinach/peas/french beans) and add into the porridge together with fish mini cubes. If you cook the greens together with the porridge, it'll be yellowish. I also read that greens should not be frozen, thaw n heated up. Can't remember why. Downside is, she'll have to eat the same porridge for both her meals. I usually don't cook porridge on weekends and she'll get different food for weekends, like omelette (her favourite), pancake, pasta (somehow she doesn't fancy it) or simple stuff like fruity yogurt n baked sweet potato

But really, it's a personal preference n how much time you can spare in the morning

thanks qiqi for your sharings.

i have some more questions :blush:

1. when we should replace baby's milk feeding with solid? currently the nanny at the daycare is replacing one of baby milk feeding with cereal.

2. how do we know if baby is having enough with the cereal/porridge?

3. time interval between each feeding if we replace baby's milk with solid? my baby milk feeding is every 3 hours, e.g.: 8am, 11am, 2pm,5pm, 8pm and 4am/5am. Baby is in the daycare after the 8am feed and I'll pick him up at 6.30pm, so there are 3 feedings there. currently nanny is giving baby cereal at 11am and continue with milk after 3 hours. Is this routine ok?

thanks qiqi for your sharings.

i have some more questions :blush:

1. when we should replace baby's milk feeding with solid? currently the nanny at the daycare is replacing one of baby milk feeding with cereal.

2. how do we know if baby is having enough with the cereal/porridge?

3. time interval between each feeding if we replace baby's milk with solid? my baby milk feeding is every 3 hours, e.g.: 8am, 11am, 2pm,5pm, 8pm and 4am/5am. Baby is in the daycare after the 8am feed and I'll pick him up at 6.30pm, so there are 3 feedings there. currently nanny is giving baby cereal at 11am and continue with milk after 3 hours. Is this routine ok?

Ur baby only 6 mths wor, should not entirely eliminate 1 milk feed yet. The books say feed milk first then only feed solids after 1 hour. But my nanny feed solids first n milk before nap, n i just close 1 eye lor. My bb is now 11mths and taking quite a bit of solids, yet she still takes 3 (sometimes 4) milk feed at the nanny's, but her hours at the nanny's is longer (9am - 8pm, sometimes later). Her routine is something like this

8am direct latch

9+ breakfast (fruit or fruit yogurt)

11am 5oz EBM

1+pm lunch (porridge)

3+pm 5oz EBM

6+pm dinner (porridge)

7+pm 5oz EBM (sometimes cannot finish)

9+pm direct latch / EBM

midnight direct latch (sometimes twice)

Basically milk feed interval stretched from 3 hours to 4 hours after she started solids n the solids is in between, instead of what your daycare does, to replace the milk with solid n bb didn't have milk after 8am till 2pm, which is quite long for a young baby. Besides, i think a 6month old need all the nutrition from the milk instead of cereal which is just carbo

I need advised.. my bb is 10 months 1 week now.. she don't like to have solid.. before that she like to have my cooking also my nanny cooking, after awhile (since 8months old) she reject my cooking.. I though my cooking not good so I try on it.. which I feel ok and its quite teasty too.. :tongue: (but she ate nanny's cooking) now she dont want to eat solid at all even her nanny's cooking.. :( its almost a month already.. she don't even want those market baby food, cereal, biscute etc. :dash2:

I though she teething but I check she not.. :sad:

Is it my porriedge cooking and recipe not good.. can any one help me on this..?? Im really stress up everytime come to solid food... she can't depends on milk all the time... :sad:

I did ask her dr.. her dr said is ok as her weight is growing good.. but Im not confortable that she not having solid much.. :dash2::sad:

Any mummy here is giving your little one Holle Organic Rice Porridge? I just bought one recently and planning to give it to my girl until I stumbled upon articles in the Internet saying Holle Organic Rice Porridge contains the highest level of arsenic, cadmium and lead in a survey that also include Organix, Hipp and Nestle.

Now, I am thinking twice if I should give it to my girl....