gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

Clovey, my daughter also had fever last week. Feeding her was a nightmare coz she didn't have appetite. So lots of trial and error. She liked mee sua cooked in anchovies soup (soak anchovies beforehand so that it is not so salty) - can add fish and some veg, and ABC soup (with more potatoes and carrots so a bit more filling for her). I also gave her lots of yoghurt - well, I actually mixed her medication in the yoghurt so that she would take them.

clovey, actually when people are sick, it's best to offer more fresh fruit that are high in Vit C like mango, kiwi and watermelon. I dunno about the others here but EVERY TIME Eva shows some runny nose, she'd want to eat more fruits like mango, kiwi, strawberries - at first my mum said not to feed her that but how can I not? She recovers faster than us adults each time and she's the one spreading her bugs!!!

When she's sick, I usually give her more "light" stuff meaning soups with rice or pasta, steamed fish on its own with some steamed veg, lightly seasoned roasted veg and lots & lots of water together with fruits. Works well for me. :)

my gal was hospitalized last thursday n discharged on sunday,cos fever n lungs infection (phlegm),my sis n mum told me dun give her those cold foods like kiwi,watermwlon, barli,n etc....any mummies here got any ideas wat foods i can prepare for her,cos now i only give her porridge with fish, brocoli,apples,dragon fruits,n i stopped to give her yogult...pls help.....tks.

haha i oso had the same problem as u.. hospitalised, and then mom and sis and hubby ganged up against me to stop fruits (read the previous posts). I got the paed to confirm it is no issue to give fruits. So now sanju back on his normal daily food. If your baby can take her usual food, why give la...

im now so scare to give her to eat fruits....worry wil make her cough again, now can heard some sound when she breath,i think stil got phlegm inside,ok,i wil try to let her eat a little wat u all suggested..n 1 more thing, her weight now is 10.5kgs,for her age should be ok rite?she is 21mths +,everytime when she went to hosp to take her inject, i realized her weight increase very slow.from Mar'10(10mths)9.25kgs, May'10(1yr)-9.5kgs,Jun'10 - 9.7kgs, Nov'10 - 10.9kg, Jan'11 - 11kgs, cos sick, now dropped to 10kgs......its normal?

paed once told me to avoid grapes and orange for the phlegm.. otherwise should be ok...

she must be on medication rite? the phlegm will go away..

my son was asked to take the singulair for 1 month after discharge to clear the lungs

weight wise, if fall sick will lose weight, but once recover, feed her with her usual food, i am sure she will put on weight

My daughter's paed also told me not to give Ally oranges - but that was more because she had throat infection and the acidity of the orange may sting her throat. I think your daughter's weight is ok. Ally was 10.7 kg at 18mo, but when she fell sick, dropped to 10.3kg.

Ally'sMom, nola, that was when we were in MIL's house and having the lunch she cooked for us, and I was feeding Jeff with plain white rice, plus some chick and vege (after dipping into a bowl of plain water to 'wash' off the salty taste).. and she was telling me to just mix the vege gravy in rice for Jeff lo.. Those are adult food and I find my MIL's cooking a little salty even for us adult ler.. :-S

I have not formally introduced rice+dishes to Jeff yet.. still didn't quite figure out how to bring that over to the nanny.. So only weekends when we go out for eat, we let him try a bit of our food as a start.. not really a full meal of rice+dishes yet.. Planning to now though.

BP, how come Jeff's vege gravy has salt/oyster sauce? Don't you cook separately for him without salt/oyster sauce?

Mabel, u r not the only odd one. Jaylene had dragon fruits and kiwi when she was coughing last week. I did it on purpose to boost her immune system and vitamin c. After some brainwash by me and results, nowadays my mum will happily feeding jaylene with those fruits especially when she is down with flu - except she prefers to bring it to room temp first instead of serving it chill when Jaylene is no well.

BP, OIC. Whenever we go to PIL's house for lunch/dinner, I will bring along Ally's dishes.

Bunny, on fruits, I think serving chilled is ok. My paed told me I can give ice popsicles or ice cream to Ally when she was sick, so that can soothe her throat.

purple lotus,

re: iron deficiency

yea, breastfed babies do have this problem esp when they exceed 6mo.... some books suggest mixing BM with FM after 6 mo, or else feed them with more iron fortified food.... like iron fortified rice cereal. i agree with Mabel, i'd choose food/fruits which are high in iron rather than chinese herbs... the process of drying those herbs involves usage of chemical, some chinese herbs are found with sulphure.... that's why babies with G6PD are strictly restricted from taking any chinese herbs.... i don't have much confidence in chinese herbs, maybe most of them come from China...

for chunkier food, wish to ask all mommies, at what age you feed your babies with rice (full-grain rice)? My 9mo girl doesn't really like porridge, even those slightly coarse ones (opposite of purple lotus's boy)... last night when we were having dinner, i put a spoonful of rice on her high chair tray, intended to let her play and learn to feed herself.... but she actually finished all.... (after 1/2 bowl of porridge)... i'm thinking of recipe that suits her... maybe some softer rice with meat-vege gravy? what about noodles, pastas?

ceetee,

I think ur gal is ready to take on pasta. I saw the organic alphabet pasta selling at Jaya Jusco. Feel tempted to buy for Ivan to try but then I think he's not yet ready unless I cooked it into porridge type. In the end I bought quinoa for him to try. Regarding quinoa, can I straight give him the mixed tri-colour quinoa or should I start by giving white quinoa 1st, then red quinoa then black quinoa?

i want to check the nutrition needs for a toddler >1yo

How often should we be giving fish/chicken/eggs?

right now i am giving abt 3 servings of fish, and 2-3 servings of eggs per week, is this sufficient?

Ally's mom,

12mo? my girl is 9mo only... i think i'll try her on pasta (cook till reall soft) 1st, then bee hoon,, maybe by 10-11 mo only i intro full-grain rice...

Purple lotus,

i was in Jaya Grocer just now but couldn't find the baby pasta.... i think i'll cook the normal spaghetti and cut into small pieces to feed her....

mommies,

what gravy u gals cook to go with pasta? i havn't tried my girl on cheese yet.... wonder what else i can give her....

for me easiest gravy for pasta - pumpkin with cauliflower (and garlic if you want)

just cook the vegs in a frying pan with scant amount of water until soft. Mash it how much you want :)

i oso gave up looking for baby pasta. The regular pasta i had was also no preservatives or coloring, so just make that, and mash it... also good to intro chunky food to my baby

q,

hey, thx for the recipe... simple and nice.... :)

ya, sure garlic, Gina likes it... and it makes simple ingredients taste great!

re: nutrition need, i thought an egg a day is ok for kid? currently i'm feeding my girl with 3 serving of carbo, 2 servings of vege, 1 serving of meat (stock) and 1 serving of fruit per day. is this too much?

q,

hey, thx for the recipe... simple and nice.... :)

ya, sure garlic, Gina likes it... and it makes simple ingredients taste great!

re: nutrition need, i thought an egg a day is ok for kid? currently i'm feeding my girl with 3 serving of carbo, 2 servings of vege, 1 serving of meat (stock) and 1 serving of fruit per day. is this too much?

hmm the portion sounds the same for Sanju, but i dont give meat on daily basis. I learnt from some mothers here, get him used to more of veg than meat. I think veg serving is about 4 servings daily for Sanju. Not sure abt an egg per day, one egg itself is quite a lot for one serving

Q,

your 1 serving is 1 spoonful or 1 meal? sorry ah, confused...

this is Gina feeding routine:

morning - cereal + milk, yoghurt + cereal or bread + milk. (3/4 bowl)

lunch - vege (2-3 types) + rice cereal (3/4 bowl)

tea - biscuits + fruits (1-2 types)

dinner - porridge + 2 vege in meat stock,(1/2 bowl) or vege (2-3 types) + rice cereal (3/4 bowl)

sometimes will give her some snack (rice puff, fruits or yoghurt) if she had porridge since she only takes less....

yea, 1 egg a day seems a lot for kiddo.... maybe can give 3/4 or get a smaller size egg.... eg kampung egg, which is more nutritious, i guess...

1 serving = 1oz

the feeding routine seems good :)

i notice that Sanju's meal in take went down from 8months to now (12months).. he used to take maybe 3/4 bowl of lunch/dinner, how he is happier with 1/2 bowl only...

I'd say that once your kiddo is on three meals a day, it is best to follow the food pyramid - meaning equal amounts of grains + veg and fruit, slightly less protein and minimal oil. Dairy would be the main staple BEFORE they turn 1 yo. But after, you'll need to keep in mind that things like cakes and muffins as well as pancakes and other dairy-based products will add to the dairy serving count. Don't forget to mix up red and white meat as red meat is high in iron.

Tinkerbelle, I think you were looking for a cake recipe without milk & eggs right?

Found this online, looks simple & not too many ingredients and the reviews are quite good.

Planning to make it this weekend. Even though my baby isn't on solids yet, I've been baking so many cake recipes from Bunny & Mable ... I tell hubby it's to road test the recipes for when baby is ready for cakes but truth is, I just love desserts :lol:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wacky-Cake-VIII/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 cup white sugar

* 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1 tablespoon cider vinegar

* 6 tablespoons vegetable oil

* 1 cup water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into an 8x8 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three depressions. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour water over all, and stir well with fork.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.

Q, red meat includes veal, lamb, duck and goose.

oh ok, i dont eat beef and cook any of those.. only hv pork occasionally outside... dont suppose will be able to include this in his meals

Try to get some duck if you can. Next alternative would be liver as it's high in iron. Red meat is important for toddlers because they are a rich source of heme iron which is different from plant based iron. Maybe can give him more fish as well like tuna and salmon.