gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

About portion..can i ask something about it..i give my boy 4 to 5 spoons of baby cereal+2 spoons milk everyday as dinner time, is that ok? and as 4 to 5 spoons is in powder form, is it too much? my boy is 7 months old... and everybody mention here about spoon in giving cereal is it after mixing or before mixing? sorry a bit confused there...

dont worry i used to be confused too :)

spoon is before mixing.. meaning u scoop the cereal out from the container...

i started with teaspoon (the smaller one). I think 4-5 teaspoon is ok for your baby.. anyways u see whether he can finish it, or asks more

what kind of table spoon you're using? Is the chinese soup spoon or the stainless steal one? I also confuse with it. My mil said table spoon is the spoon that normally i use to drink soup wor..

what kind of table spoon you're using? Is the chinese soup spoon or the stainless steal one? I also confuse with it. My mil said table spoon is the spoon that normally i use to drink soup wor..

for me tablespoon is the small spoon (stainless steel one)

Those Chinese spoons for soup is NOT a table spoon or soup spoon. Table spoon is what we use regularly to eat rice and you can use that for general measurements - just remember to not scoop up a large heap.

Teaspoon for food for babies is fine but using those Chinese spoons to scoop up powders of cereal, especially if it's 4 spoons onwards is A LOT.

wong, is your baby taking only one meal a day? If so, why is it dinner and not lunch or breakfast?

My BS told me that put the ikan bilis in the oven and baked it. after that put into blender and make it become podwer. when cook porridge, we can use 1 - 2 tea spoon and mix into porridge. I never heard about this before. so wondering can we cook in that way.

any suggestion?

My BS told me that put the ikan bilis in the oven and baked it. after that put into blender and make it become podwer. when cook porridge, we can use 1 - 2 tea spoon and mix into porridge. I never heard about this before. so wondering can we cook in that way.

any suggestion?

i guess u can bake it if u have an oven.. i do it the traditional method... fry without oil and powder it.. u can do the same to chicken as well.

http://thebabystepsoflife.blogspot.com/201...s-for-baby.html

mei,

yea, my portion of meal is around the size of my fist, but half of that is still a lot for babies, no? their fists are not even half of ours....

lyven,

ya, i also same same with Q, tbspn is those metal tbspn for makan.

but my measurement is the ready-to-eat portion.... how to measure porridge (rice porridge with vege) b4 being cooked?

sumsum,

i heard about your BS way, but i prefer not to give ikan bilis, quite salty and it's processed.

yeah. I also confuse how to measure it.

Today i give my baby carrot, i give two teaspoon to mix with 3 teaspoon of oat (powder). She finish up.. So i also just agak agak, cus she just learning. If she can't finish than i'll just throw away.. Mmm..

mei,

yea, my portion of meal is around the size of my fist, but half of that is still a lot for babies, no? their fists are not even half of ours....

lyven,

ya, i also same same with Q, tbspn is those metal tbspn for makan.

but my measurement is the ready-to-eat portion.... how to measure porridge (rice porridge with vege) b4 being cooked?

sumsum,

i heard about your BS way, but i prefer not to give ikan bilis, quite salty and it's processed.

how to measure the porridge, i do it as it works for me:

For 1 meal of porridge, i put one fist of rice, (fist enough to close my hands and fingers touching palm, maximum press), and agak2 with the vegetable... you can trial and error with your spoon and see which works

for ikan bilis, it is also hygiene concern for some, becos of the preparation method. I wash and fry it without oil till it goldens, hoping i kill all contamination :)

i find ikan bilis powder a good way to add variety to my baby's food, cos i dont hv time to prepare different types of meals daily.. so adding yogurt/cheese/ikan bilis gives different taste for him daily

ceetee, that's why I say max because some babies have really big BIG appetites - from prior conditioning as infants (drink around 250ml of milk at one go, etc.). Eva only takes 1 tablespoon of rice with 1.5 tablespoons of veg/meat and maybe like 6 grapes - as an example. That's her regular meal.

I've never given ikan bilis because 1) salt content and 2) preparation method. If I want to add natural flavour to my kid's food, I'd rather use chicken, beef, pork, veg, herbs or actual fish meat. Now that Eva is older, I've introduced shellfish (scallops) but it was just ONE time - last week - when I made fish porridge for myself. :p

Q,

ya, i also measure the same way like you, a 'fist-ful' of rice with combi of vege.... usually i cook more, then from cooked porridge, i'll scoop out 5-6 tbspn and feed my girl.... extra will end up in my hubby's tummy.... (no wonder he's putting on weight.. ;p)

lyven,

yea, have to agak-agak, even our moms also agak agak when they cook now right?

mei,

ok, i got u.

u give Eva fruits right after meal? i don't have this practice, not even myself.... i serve fruits between meals....

Yeah, I give right after a meal coz normal practice for me and my hubby (eat fruits right after dinner plus I don't like to eat too late since my dinner is around 730-8pm). I asked my friend and she says that the timing for fruits - before, after or dunno how many minutes - doesn't really matter and won't affect digestion since we are talking about small quantities of fruit (and consequently nutrients) and not a boatload.

i used to do so till i read 'The Tao of health', it suggests eating certain food (basically carbo & protein) or fruits (esp melon) separately, or as a meal by itself.... it's not some superstitious thingy, it's more to the chemical reaction in our body when those food goes in, which will lead to indigestion, and in long run affects the well-being of our system, like high BP, high cholesterol, even obesity....

The theory helps, not only me.... a colleague of mine used to be overweight and quite sickly, after practising the Tao for 3-4 months, he actually shed the weight that he had been trying for so long.... and he's much healthier now....

Well, my friend is a paed nutrititionist/dietitian so I do believe she knows what she's saying when she says that that whole bit about indigestion isn't relevant. Re these diets (trophology is the keywood to google), I take it with a pinch of salt because there are a lot of factors in play apart from just the eating time of the individual components in a meal.

On an interesting note, one culture in particular which has "benefited" from a variety of foods at a single meal are the French. There have been studies done into the typical French meal which is highly varied and looks at why the community have one of the skinniest people around for a culture that is heavy on eating rich foods over a few courses (appetiser, entree/main meal, dessert, cheese, wine, etc).

For fruit bars and muesli, I buy Organix - it's available at Cold Storage here in SG but I remember seeing some equivalent ones at Jaya 33 Grocer. For dried fruits and rice cakes, I get organic ones - dried apricots, raisins and etc. I try to buy those without sulphur as a preservation and contains no added sugar (am not a fan of Sunsweet prunes).

Am planning to make my own breakfast cereal mix as well. :p (Just some wheat-corn flakes with oat puffs, raisins and other dried fruit.)

mabel, thks. i bought some fruit bars and those small boxes of dried fruits from Organix before but i seldom give it to my kids cos i was wondering if it is ok to let them have it. It is very hard to find this brand here in JB.

another Q here. do you all gave your kids jam spread? i bought a bottle of organic strawberry jam yesterday which said no added sugar or pectin. i was wondering if it is ok to give it to toddlers.

I've given homemade jam before to Eva while we were in France last year for Christmas - usually with yogurt and in small quantities (less than 1/2 teaspoon). Bought a small bottle yesterday to make some peanut butter jelly sandwiches today just to tide things through till I make my own jam.

I bought some blueberries yesterday. I am thinking of mixing it into my girl's cereal for breakfast. How should I do it? Do i boil them first and then blend it? or I can just cut & mix them straight into the cereal? If I boil & blend, how long can i keep in the fridge?

No boiling please. Boiling causes more nutrient loss in food compared to other methods like steaming.

Blueberries are suitable for babies above 8-9 mths - it's from the berry family (like strawberries and raspberry) and can be highly allergic. If you're introducing to babies above 8 mths, then can give raw - just mash and add straight to cereal. If you steam it and blend, can keep in the freezer for 3 mths max.

hi mabel, can blueberries serve as snacks for babies? what about raspsberry?Can bb consume tht too?

No boiling please. Boiling causes more nutrient loss in food compared to other methods like steaming.

Blueberries are suitable for babies above 8-9 mths - it's from the berry family (like strawberries and raspberry) and can be highly allergic. If you're introducing to babies above 8 mths, then can give raw - just mash and add straight to cereal. If you steam it and blend, can keep in the freezer for 3 mths max.

I've given homemade jam before to Eva while we were in France last year for Christmas - usually with yogurt and in small quantities (less than 1/2 teaspoon). Bought a small bottle yesterday to make some peanut butter jelly sandwiches today just to tide things through till I make my own jam.

so no problem giving them jam spread la? glad to hear that.

and peanut butter jelly? RECIPE pls... :lol: . peanut butter as in those normal peanut butter jam? and jelly? i am dying for more recipes for my kids cos really boring seeing their foods everyday.

All berries can be given as snacks provided your kiddo is not allergic to it and it's not a choking hazard (meaning that they know how to chew already). Just a note tho - the berries here are not NICE at all, very sour and just yucks. I usually use them in muffins and pancakes and not give them directly because they are just awful in taste.

Peanut butter jelly recipe? Just spread peanut butter and jam on slices of bread and toast together. :p

Well, my friend is a paed nutrititionist/dietitian so I do believe she knows what she's saying when she says that that whole bit about indigestion isn't relevant. Re these diets (trophology is the keywood to google), I take it with a pinch of salt because there are a lot of factors in play apart from just the eating time of the individual components in a meal.

On an interesting note, one culture in particular which has "benefited" from a variety of foods at a single meal are the French. There have been studies done into the typical French meal which is highly varied and looks at why the community have one of the skinniest people around for a culture that is heavy on eating rich foods over a few courses (appetiser, entree/main meal, dessert, cheese, wine, etc).

it all boils down to the study and exposure, no? it's like when u ask a doctor what food to avoid after a surgery, answer is all food can consume... but if u ask a dietitian, answer might be to avoid seafood.....

Skinny = healthy? i don't think so...

All berries can be given as snacks provided your kiddo is not allergic to it and it's not a choking hazard (meaning that they know how to chew already). Just a note tho - the berries here are not NICE at all, very sour and just yucks. I usually use them in muffins and pancakes and not give them directly because they are just awful in taste.

Peanut butter jelly recipe? Just spread peanut butter and jam on slices of bread and toast together. :p

:lol: hahaha.. ok thks for the "recipe". anyway, you use those normal peanut butter jam which we adults eat? like those ladychoice brand?

Mabel, u're right. I used it for muffins once but it doesn't taste sweet in muffins at all. :P... I bought another one yesterday but I haven't tried if it's sweeter. Just that i thought the breastmilk + cereal is normally a bit sweet so mixing blueberries maybe will be ok. :smile: but I haven't tried yet laa... :P