gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

Do you girls feed oat to your kid? I haven't tried yet, except the oatmeal cereal. I'm thinking of getting the instant quaker oats for her breakfast. What kind of oats that you mummies normally give?

dont give quaker oats

i give organic baby oats... i used to blend (or mill) it before preparing to eat.. but soon i plan to give just as it is

u can give oats+veg/fruits for meals or bfast

Do you girls feed oat to your kid? I haven't tried yet, except the oatmeal cereal. I'm thinking of getting the instant quaker oats for her breakfast. What kind of oats that you mummies normally give?

dont give quaker oats

i give organic baby oats... i used to blend (or mill) it before preparing to eat.. but soon i plan to give just as it is

Oh we still have to blend it? My girl just passed her 1 yr old :smile:... do you have to cook it first?

dont give quaker oats

Oh we still have to blend it? My girl just passed her 1 yr old :smile: ... do you have to cook it first?

my boy oso passed 1 yo, thats why i thinking to serve it without blending. He can take rice like normal oso.

The organic baby oats is instant.. just put hot water and u can eat it

Q - do u have a pic of the oats that u give your boy? is it this one?

24-04-10%20rolled%20oats.png

hey, that is the exact one! u can buy it at jusco, and most other hypermarket have it too

You can give any type of rolled oats to a baby. Quaker Oats is oatmeal which is different. The one you showed is suitable and you don't really need to blend. I stopped giving Eva blended or mashed oats since she was 12-13 mths old and have also upgraded her to regular instant oats - would like to move to cooking oats but no time for that.

Rolled oats are steamed/toasted and then rolled to make it flat.

Steel cut oats are not steamed or toasted but cut into bits - those are best but can be tough and chewy.

Oatmeal is basically rolled oats made into texture that is suitable for cooking porridge.

Need to dig up Super Baby Food in order to find out more - I could have mistook it for bran tho. :p

Started my baby on avocado and after 4 days, moved on to sweet potatoes. LOL, think he much preferred sweet potatoes over avocado.

Surprisingly MIL didn't kick up a fuss about feeding him thawed from frozen sweet potatoes (and not even warmed up!) - she must have totally given up hope on me and just doing exactly what I requested.

Hubby mistakenly pureed the steamed carrots with the water leftover from steaming so I'd to eat all 4oz of it and all I can say is bleeergh!

Roasted carrots are nice, steamed carrots are nice, raw carrots are nice but pureed, mushy carrots doesn't rank high on my list of favourite things to eat.

Have pureed pumpkin & apple in my freezer, boxes of baby brown rice, millet & oats :smile:

Ash, sorry I missed out on your post earlier. I think you can find Oatios at Jaya Grocer or those higher end grocery stores.

LOL...yeah, some baby food are hit and miss type. Still, don't make that face in front of the kiddo otherwise he won't even try it! I learnt it the hard way with avocados!!!! Luckily Eva takes it again now but when I first introduced it, I made the mistake of making the "blergh" face in front of her. Gone la from then on.

just got some chick peas and gonna do it the easy way, no hummus yet, but just boiled the chick peas and let him pop as snack. kinda worried about him choking on it coz my kid eats like a hungry african.

:lol:

evaa, I wouldn't put any because Marmite and Bovril have high amounts of salt and possibly even added flavouring & colour.

Dear all,

May I know is it alright to mix with Marmite or Brovil into my 9 mths old baby's porridge?

iwanna know the same too.. also i am curious what are the benefits of marmite or bovril, i see them even in the menu of my neighbourhood chinese restaurant

Q, marmite, vegemite or Bovril is supposed to be just brewers yeast which is high in Vit B complexes. But unfortunately, it's also very high in salt and you can get the same thing just from using brewers yeast alone. In Chinese restaurants, I believe they use it more for flavouring.

Sumsum, at 11 mths, your baby can eat a lot of veg - eggplant, zucchini, spinach, kailan, carrots, potato, yam, tapioca, brussel sprouts, onion, bean sprouts, celery, etc, etc. Can also start to introduce tomato. No necessarily just eat broccoli all the time. :)

Q, marmite, vegemite or Bovril is supposed to be just brewers yeast which is high in Vit B complexes. But unfortunately, it's also very high in salt and you can get the same thing just from using brewers yeast alone. In Chinese restaurants, I believe they use it more for flavouring.

Sumsum, at 11 mths, your baby can eat a lot of veg - eggplant, zucchini, spinach, kailan, carrots, potato, yam, tapioca, brussel sprouts, onion, bean sprouts, celery, etc, etc. Can also start to introduce tomato. No necessarily just eat broccoli all the time. :)

Thanks meiteoh. Instead, i already introduce tomato and patato to my baby in 7 months time. I'll buy more vege for him. Thanks.

Hi Mabel - when you 1st started mixing different varieties of fruit/veg for Eva, does that mean you'd freeze them into smaller portions?

This is the 2nd week of my baby's start on solid food, he can't finish 1oz of the food cubes but I wanted to mix together some for variety. Do you just mix them anyway into 2oz portions and then eat the leftovers yourself?

Nope, I mix the veg together and freeze in 1 oz cubes. Leftovers are given in the same day but mixed in with cereal.

evaa, I wouldn't put any because Marmite and Bovril have high amounts of salt and possibly even added flavouring & colour.

Dear meiteoh,

Thank u for your reply :wub:

My 1st time feeding rice cereal today - now I finally understand why it's a favourite for 1st foods and some choose to feed it for their 4 month olds.

It's so smooth & easy to feed!

All my purees are more textured & thicker even though I blend them with an electric blender and added water.

Looks like I went reverse by starting with the chunkier stuff & then only rice cereal today :lol:

And I've boxes of instant rice cereal, millet, oats to finish up ... yeesh, looks like when my baby is ready, I need to start making his purees more chunky so at least he's used to texture instead of creamy instant baby food