gedebe

1st baby solid food: survey on what you gave

helena, what do you mean by fully on cereal? Btw, after four days, if they have no reaction to cereal, you can start introducing fruits and vegetables - important to avoid fussy eater and to prevent constipation.

Fully cereal = replacing a milk feed with cereal

Yes, 1 serving would be around 1 baby cube - I remember doing a measurement and it's around 1 oz or 30 ml per 1 cube. Easier for some mummies to gauge. :)

helena, cereal shouldn't replace milk at all at this age. Offer before milk but don't replace - old school idea - as their nutritients still come mainly from milk, especially important for BFed babies.

helena, what do you mean by fully on cereal? Btw, after four days, if they have no reaction to cereal, you can start introducing fruits and vegetables - important to avoid fussy eater and to prevent constipation.

Fully cereal = replacing a milk feed with cereal

i dont think u can fully replace a milk feed with cereal for now.. babies take a while to reduce the milk intake. As Mabel says, once you hv given your baby cereal for 4-5 days, u can start to try fruit/veg purees. Intro 1 new food at a time, and give for 4 days before moving to a next one. Once baby ok with one type of fruit or veg, u can also give mixed with cereal, or make combinations of fruit+veg puree

I missed out replying on the blender stories! LOL...in my case, I actually set my BEABA babycook to steam with nothing in it. Hai...waste electricity and water for nothing. :P

The prunes are kind of tough & fibrous, so I thought steaming before pureeing would be better. Heheh, will go get a new pack again & try and see if mashing alone will do. Lesson learned - check for stones!

Here's the paed nutritionist's input on bananas and avocado:

just started on solids and went straight for bananas and avo?? that's a bit ambitious. keep it simple. for 1st to 2nd month of solids intro, keep to baby cereal and bland pureed vege with some pureed meat (once vege is established). can add small amounts of avo or banana but not as a "main meal" and make sure it's pureed with some water or breastmilk/formula. only when child is 7 mths, can start on roughly pureed to finely minced testures. she can offer banana and avo roughly pureed without liquids (thickened pureed consistency) then. start slow. keep to the 3 days' rule. when you say she just started solids, I assume the child is around 6 months? if child started solids earlier (eg: 4 months or younger), risk of gastro-related problems higher. the more immature the child's gut, the less capacity it has to handle too much solids. so, the message here is to start slow.

generally, the recommendation is: introduce bland simple foods pureed first, follow the 3 days' rule and start by giving solids to child after 1 milk feed and slowly increase exposure to 3-4 times per day AFTER milk feeds (milk is still main food). from 10 months onwards, can start introducing minced textured foods to finger-foods and offer solids BEFORE milk feeds (solids to displace milk feeds). the aim is by 12 months, the child is able to handle family foods and solid food becomes the main meal, not milk feeds. by then, what we hope to see is child becomes more reliant on solid rather than milk. ideally, 12 months onwards, should not have more than 2 milk feeds (generally morning and night feeds) and should limit milk intake to no more than 500-600mLs per day.

My boy is now 11months old and recently he refuses to finish his milk. He will only drink 3oz out of his usual 5.5oz. But if he sees me snacking on bread/biscuit/fruits, he will demand some. Guess he's more into adult food now. I'm thinking of reducing his milk feed as I've read that after 1yr old, milk intake should not be more than 18oz daily. Currently he still drinks EBM or FM, 6 times a day and his daily milk intake is around 30oz. One of it is a midnight feed 2-3am. When can I start weaning him of his midnight feed? It's getting very tiring having to wake up middle of the night to feed him. Most of my friend's babies sleep through the night by now.

Just curious....

Lets say I intro rice cereal and apples already and theres no allergic reaction.... How do u serve both of them together? Make rice cereal and mix in my apple ar?

Do I have to steam apples? Last time my aunt just scrape the flesh out using a metal spoon.

Purple Lotus, can try to reduce the midnight feed and take it from there.

Yivoon, yes, mix rice cereal with apple...oh, please cook the apples as well as babies' tummy is not capable of digesting raw fruits until they are 7-8 mths old.

Phew, baby's poop is finally back to normal. Takes being a mummy to be able to worry & analyse a kid's poop :lol:

No more bananas for him until he's much bigger!

Bought pears, peas & plums to make purrees for emergencies like this now.

hi all,

my gal is now 4months + should i start solid on her now? A lot of my friends started at 4th month but i duno how to start with it. Can recommend what type of food, the amount and the schedule i should feed her?

jacqline,

Nutritionist and Mommies here recommend to start solid when your little one turn 6 months.. What's the hurry. Read the nutritionist quote above..

Generally, it is not a good idea to start younger because 1) high chances of gastro-intestinal problems (constipation, diarrhea, etc) and allergies, and 2) may affect milk intake (some babies end up preferring solids over milk, not good when below 12 mths). I had a friend who started her daughter on solids at 4 mths - kiasu mah coz see people start, she oso wanna start - and she developed allergies towards carrots!!!! Plus constipation was also a regular problem with that baby. Haiz.

I also get a lot of pressure on starting solids when my baby turns 4 months old. I told everyone there's no rush la as she is feeding well on milk and sleeping well at night.

Seriously, I dread the days when I have to plan her meals like all of u did with ur babies. It's so easy now warming up her milk or making formula for her. All I had to wash are bottles. I don't need to plan what to buy and cook.

dear mommies,

How to teach baby to gum their food and chew it. Wanna try to give her soft fruit, but i worry if she bite a tiny chunk than directly swallow she'll get choke.

Urm, there is no way to teach except to give the fruit to baby and monitor them. Just make sure that it's super ripe - super ripe = soft - and that it's bite size (not bigger than a 1.5cm square please). If they gag, don't give up because gagging is a way for them to learn 1) how much they should chew before swallowing and 2) when to swallow and when NOT to swallow.

meibel,

Would it be a good idea to give her a teething biscuit first than try the soft fruits? Or made the food roughly puree first. She don't like roughly puree food.. She'll gag and cry. I think it's like what you said, she gag to learn that she need to chew.. Haih..

almost 8 months.. I read from wholesomebaby food. When she reach 8 month can give finger food d... But till now she still on smooth blend food

Then can start finger food. In fact, you can give teething rusks and melt-in-your-mouth puffs at around 7 to 7.5 mths - just treat wheat as a new food that you are introducing.

ok thanks meibel. Will go to organic store to find something for her to gum. One more things, i not yet start her on rice porridge.. Am i too slow? Cus i see her still can't handle roughly puree food.