chooz

How do you make your baby's porridge

Any of you having problems getting your baby to eat cooked rice porridge? :unsure: I was facing that problem couple of months back, baby just refuses to eat! I think he finds cooked rice porridge too bland as we never put any salt or seasoning. He was too used to the rich flavours and taste of instant cereal + formula + puree combi. So we cracked our head and finally came up with a solution, that is to make vegetable stocks and cook porridge with it! And soon after that, my baby is more "accepting" of cooked porridge and now he can down one whole bowl in no time! :D

So, you should all know by now that my porridge making process is a bit more leceh than the rest of you. My baby's a fussy eater! <_<

This is a brief "rundown" of "events" :lol:

1.) cook vegetable stocks in slow cooker (for 3 days' meal). Ingredients are corn on cob (jagung) + carrots. Sometimes will also add fish bones if we can find.

2.) Use the vege stocks to cook porridge (instead of water) - Organic millet + organic quinoa + organic brown rice. Also add in one chunk of pork to make it sweeter.

3.) make puree - either sweet potato or pumpkin (must have one of these, otherwise not sweet enough, baby might not like). Sometimes will add on brocolli. all these are to be added to the cooked porridge.

4.) Another must have - FISH. Steam either Cod or Threadfin then puree it. add to the porridge and stir once it's done.

I believe all of us has our own method of making baby's food. So please share yours :)

i tried the veggie stock chooz suggeted to me...wow, my boy loves it...i hv not fed my boy any fish yet (cuz i am lazy to go to market)..but guess i hv to start feeding him fish soon...otherwise, he might not accept it later .... so chooz, the fish, u dont cook it together with the porridge hor? steam then mix it with the porridge... fish puree, means u cook the fish then smash it?

makeupjunk,

Glad your baby loves the vege stock ;)

Ya, the fish I don't cook together with the porridge. I steam it then puree with the food processor :)

I still puree my baby's vege and fish coz he's only got 2 teeth (below) so fair :ph34r: So to be on the safe side, we will still make his food as fine as in the beginning.

Start with cod fish, it's sweet and tasty, babies will love it :) And another excellent choice will be threadfin, it's a very popular kids' food in Singapore. They call it "the baby's brain fish" ;) Both fish are deep sea fish.

For my daughter's porridge, we usually cook using anchovies stock as base. On alternate days, we'll put spinach, tomato, potato and a small piece of salmon fillet. On other days, we'll use pumpkin, carrot and celery which are grated into fine pieces. All of these are cooked together with the porridge and mashed before serving to my daughter. These vege are quite soft when they're cooked so need not puree separately.

makeupjunk,

yaya, threadfin is actually "ma yau" BUT must be careful, there are actually 2 types of ma yau selling in Malaysia.

The commonly seen ones in Malaysia, if I'm not mistaken, is actually called "yellow threadfin" or something like that. They are smaller species and not so nice, the meat are more coarse and rough in my opinion. But they are bountiful and very commonly found in Malaysia.

The ones we feed babies here, I don't know what threadfin they call but it's a much bigger species and the meat so so much nicer, smooth and sweet, I loved it myself! :D It's called "soon hong" (hokkein) in Malaysia. Ask the fishmonger they will know coz my mum bought a few times in KL before. but it can be quite hard to come by sometimes :(

sooky,

I don't think it's advisable to cook the sweet potato and pumpkin together with the porridge. Because they (especially pumpkin) tend to lose their nutritive value (alpha & beta-carotene) with prolong cooking/heat. So the best way to cook pumpkin is to light steam or bake :)

woooww....so many ways to prepare porridge for bb. so far i just prepare plain porridge. add-in some carrot, potato, meat. homemade"ikan bilis powder" will add in only when serve.

Hi mummies..

When do you start to introduce meat/fish to your babies' porridge?

Have any one of you tried feeding your baby with sakura pork? (i.e. pigs reared in some strictly controlled environment and which is free of antibiotics and chemicals)...

Do you know where can we get such pork in KL / PJ? Am quite curious of the taste ..

I was told to try cod fish as baby's first fish meat.....expensive but good for them....will buy and try later.....so far my little girl enjoy just plain porridge.....but i slowly introduce her different flavour...carrots, brocolli, ikan bilis.....

cheaka, yup, cod fish among the best for fish meat coz it has a lot of healthy fish oils, but very expensive. need to steam with the fish skin & mix all the fish soup & oil with the porridge. healthy fish oil is good for bb's brain development. if pan fry it tastes yummy, but waste the healthy fats.

The only meat I've given my baby so far is fish. Have not started on others like chicken yet. And yes, Cod fish is very good, even for adults :) I started with Cod with my baby, then slowly introduce salmon and threadfin so that he could have a variety of fish ;)

The biggest worry I have is the amount of formalin used in fishes. Especially deep sea fish. That is why my mum did not allow me to eat too much cod fish during my pregnancy (I had huge craving for cod that time). I read somewhere that the substance in formalin is known to be a carcinogenic substance, which can precipitate cancer.

<<<<<<<<<The biggest worry I have is the amount of formalin used in fishes. Especially deep sea fish. That is why my mum did not allow me to eat too much cod fish during my pregnancy (I had huge craving for cod that time). I read somewhere that the substance in formalin is known to be a carcinogenic substance, which can precipitate cancer. >>>

Agree with bumblebee which I read it before. In KL, very difficult to get fresh fish unless buy from port kelang or jetty. In small village, we can get fresh fish even direct from the fishermen where I used to practice when I back to my hometown. I will packed a lot of fish back to KL :)

Have any one of you tried feeding your baby with sakura pork? (i.e. pigs reared in some strictly controlled environment and which is free of antibiotics and chemicals)...

Do you know where can we get such pork in KL / PJ? Am quite curious of the taste ..

rach,

if you live near PJ, you can go to Taman Megah. there is a shop there named An Xin. they sell organic pork. i think should be the same with your sakura pork.

hope this helps!

The biggest worry I have is the amount of formalin used in fishes. Especially deep sea fish. That is why my mum did not allow me to eat too much cod fish during my pregnancy (I had huge craving for cod that time). I read somewhere that the substance in formalin is known to be a carcinogenic substance, which can precipitate cancer.

Oh dear, is formalin the substance used to keep the fish fresh? :unsure: I've never thought of this, our family has been eating fish all our lives. Hmm, maybe now I need to think twice before I feed my baby more fish :unsure: Sigh ... I ate so much cod during pregnancy coz I had huge cravings too :(

But I supposed in Singapore it's still not too bad gua ... since the (deep sea) fish were all caught by the neighbouring Indonesian fishermen from the nearby Australian sea border. I believe they are still able to send the fish back and sell in Singapore fresh. It's not like they were airflown all the way from Atlantic or something... Just hope I'm right lah :P But in Singapore, every wet market you go, the cod, salmon and threadfin are very commonly found, quite different from Malaysia. And if there's too much formalin found in the fish or other types of seafood, you will definitely know coz it will taste awfully bitter :angry:

Hmm, now I wonder what fish is safe to eat then? deep sea fish, you'll be worried about the formalin used ... shallow water fish is not any better as they are exposed to lots of pollution.

But I also wonder why the Japanese who eats only deep sea fish has the longest life expectancy in the world? :unsure:

rach,

if you live near PJ, you can go to Taman Megah. there is a shop there named An Xin. they sell organic pork. i think should be the same with your sakura pork.

hope this helps!

Dear All,

Can teach me how to make the first porridge for bb? Going to make it 2moro.. but got no idea how to start le.. super lau ya mummy.. :(

Found this recipe in web;

1. 1 tbsp rice

2. 2 tbsp thinly chopped carrots

3. 2 tbsp green peas

4. a few leaves of spinach

5. a few pieces of chicken meat

ingredients 2,3 & 4 can be substituted with other veg (brocolli/cauliflower/pumpkin/potatoes/sweet potatoes) or packed mixed vegetable. Ingredients 5 can be substituted with anchovies/fish/pork)

Add 4 cups of water and cook the washed ingredients in a pot. Cook until rice is soft. Blend it or mash it using a potato masher.

Mash all ingredient above (including vege / meat) and feed? My mum ask to separate the meat, only feed porridge with potato and carrot.. confused.. Should we give vege as well? As my little Samuel suffers constipation..

Cod fish is good? Suitable for 6mths old bb?

sywiser, 1tbsp rice very little wor... why not make extra so can eat for a few meals or u can eat also?

normally i make it separate so can keep longer.

1. plain porridge - just rice & water.

2. steam the carrots or other veggies when boiling rice in rice cooker (saves time).

3. puree or mash the vege separately so can freeze the extra into cubes & throw into the next batch of porridge.

if yr bb first time eating porridge, just mix 1 type of vege first so u can see whether he likes it. then after that move on to the next vege. that way if he rejects 1 vege, u can still mix yr plain porridge with other vege or give plain porridge. dont make things too complicated for yr 1st time boiling porridge. just do plain porridge & 1 vege. make sure to keep stirring the porridge or it'll burn.

cod fish is good, but just introduce yr food gradually, dont stress yrself to include ALL in 1 meal. after u "sam tong" when bb only eat a bit. u can just steam the cod fish & mash into yr porridge, or just take some of the cod fish "juice" from the steaming process & mix into yr porridge so bb will eat some healthy fish oils.

if cod fish is beyond budget, just ikan merah or ikan susu also ok. just some nice fresh fish soup that u don't mind drinking as well. bb will hv same taste buds as u coz they acquired the taste in yr womb. cod fish is imported, not sure if they'll put preservatives on the fish fillet.

I basically use the same ingredients as mentioned in most of the posts here. Just wanted to share this cooking method with you all coz I've found it to be a wonderful timesaver and energy saver! I use it to make soup, porridge, stews, etc.

My colleague introduced me to a thermal cooker. She started using it and found it to be really convenient. You make porridge or soup at night and it's ready the next morning, or make it in the morning and it's ready in the evening. I really like it because it reduces gas/electricity bill and also lessens the hassle of having to check on the pot on the stove or the slow cooker. Plus, there are no electric cords connected to it so it's portable. I can bring the rice and ingredients to a boil and pop the pot into the cooker and bring the whole thing with me...the food continues to cook and it stays warm too. Great for travelling, etc.

BTW, not sure if this is the correct place to add this on (moderator can you direct me to the right forum?) but I have an extra La Gourmet 1.5l Thermal cooker, brand new/never been used. Anyone interested?

Like what dolce suggested, im using the thermal cooker too. Initially my thought is to use it to cook baby's porride as well as to keep it warm. However, the porridge is not as soft as told by the promoter (my vision pot cooks better porridge). So a bit dissappointed at this part :sad:

so now after cook, i will transfer the porridge into the cooker to keep it warm....and max keep warm up to 8hrs only....

Dolce: how long u cook ur porridge in the thermal pot before transfering it to the cooker?

btw, i added dried scallop into my baby's porridge too and it is super tasty...... :cool:

and im a lazy mum, i boil the cod fish together with the porridge , plus the vege...all in one ...hehe...

happi - thanks for explaining :) first time mum is like that when it come to 6th mth, first solid.. kelam kabut.. Now slowly a bit stable.. So far, i introduce 1by1, slowly.. so far, Samuel only tasted carrot, potato, spinach, banana, apple, papaya, sweet potat and pumpkin. That day thought of using corn to make porride, heard some here said hold first, then i stop le.. think to introduce beetroots.. but no idea how to cook this.. sigh.. and also some website do mentioned it is only suitable for 8th mth old bb..

For fish wise, think will introduce on 8th mth. Now still have 1mth time to prepare and learn :)

Is it necessary to feed lunch and dinner with porridge start 7th mth? Some friend do advise to boil ikan bilis soup to make porridge.. More nutrient? Some even said fried ikan bilis, make it dry, then blend it and sprinkle the powder into porridge.. nutritious wo.. Do you all do this?

How about HEINZ bb food? my bbsitter told me the other bb feed this HEINZ puree daily and suffer NO CONSTIPATION.. My little Samuel still kesian him suffering constipation every week! even tho i have tried lots of mathod.. prune juice la, sweet potato la, banana la, papaya la.. still the same. He only poo poo 6-7days and whenever he poo, he cried badly and after poo, whole 'si fat' become red.. heartpain :(

sywiser: u can try to add apple into his porridge...its not only adding sweetness to the porridge, it helps on their bowel too....my baby used to poo every 2 days, now almost daily, sometimes twice a day!

btw, i dilute his milk too....wat brand of formula are you giving to ur son? hv u spoken to your paed about this?

HEINZ food is easy as no preparation needed, but it is kinda sweet...and dont try the apple one....many babies, incld mine, doesnt like it coz it is sour...

i wonder how fine will the ikan bilis be if grind it?

my bb now is 9 months but until today i didnt give him porridge because i found rice is not very good to intro in early stage. now i gave him mainly on vege and fruits. Normally i will steam potato, carrot, pumpkin, spinach, french bean, brocholli and sweet potato mixed and match then blend it with some milk and direct feed him. he loves it so much.

During our dinner time, he will eat puree fish together with us on the dining table. i usually give him cod fish, threadfin or bawal putih.

i dont like to give processed food and found heinz taste sour. even myself dont like the taste. hehe

now thinking of intro something new to bb... as i get advise from fren, oats only can be intro to bb after 1 year old. iszit right?

mimossa - I dare not to feed too much apple / applesauce as this is one of the BRAT that lead to constipation..

Quote: "The BRAT diet is used for the treatment of diarrhea in infants - BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. An easy and natural way to remember how to alleviate baby's constipation is to cut out the foods that contribute to it - rice cereals, bananas, and applesauce. If you ever forget which foods to cut out, remember BRAT."

However, Samuel just love apple :dash2: He can finish the whole big apple / applesauce.. Love sweet i guess..

I'm still bf.. given bm. Before solid food was introduce, Samuel was already like tat.. only poo poo once in 7days.. But pad / lactation confirmed that it was find for bf baby.. so I just leave aside as the stool was still watery.. As for now, after solid, his first stool is hard, subsequent one is still ok.. Guess the problem with him is only poo poo 6-7days make his first stool hard and pain..

HEINZ sweet and sour? huh.. I just bought few bottle, just wana let him try. Bought the apple + banana puree le.. Ask bbsitter to feed today.. Hmm.. I was a bit reluctant as i found this HEINZ food has sugar content.. and worry bout the preservative..

ogosdream

If you dont have any family history of allergy, it's ok to intro oats but monitor your baby for any reaction. I always use the 4 day rule when I intro new food.

I am surprised you didnt give rice cos most Asians will prefer to start on rice 1st. I feel as long as your baby is enjoying his food & you serve a variety, it's good. I wish I can do that! If I do, sure will kena nag :p.