jb&jb

Teoh chew (潮州)Guo Da Li Stuff

My mum is teo chew, thus mine will follow teo chew customs but mum says everything simple.

mmm .. what will they prepare for GDL? mind to share? let see will it be d same as mine. :)

hi beautifulgown, great to hear that you are teochew too. i dont know what they will sent but for my side, they are asking for :-

Kaya pao x 24pcs, oranges x 12 pcs ( exchange ).

Beside that, i dont know what should i return to them already? can you give me some idea?

jb&jb,

mmm .. kaya pau o? ok ..

Mum was asking (HB will prepare) ..

1. Ping Kam (as what we agreed)

2. oranges - 12 pcs

3. Peanut sweet - 4 packets

4. Gold jewery (neclakce/bracelet)

5. Red cloth

6. 3-layered Pork (can be replaced with angpow)

7. angpow for mother (just a symbolic - paying mum to raise me up from baby to adult)

8. Money for tables (but not giving during GDL as we will pay for the dinner)

And in return, mum will prepare ..

1. peanut sweet - 4 packets

2. oranges - 12 pcs

3. an agreed amount for return from ping kam

4. Bedsheet (for bed setting, but actually prepared by us)

5. Pillows and Bolster (for bed setting, but actually prepared by us)

I hope I didn't miss any items :)

Our way is differ compared to others in forum, I saw got candle, pyjamas, wines, drinks, hei biscuits, but we are not asking for those.

hi beautifulgown, ya...its look like different....but i will take it as reference. since i dont know so much of this trandisional thing. next week fri aldi GDL, still blur blur... :P

jb&jb,

yaya, very much differ ah :P

so the things that return frm my side is not that much, 5 items. For the bedsheet, pillows and bolster have to be sent over during GDL so that during the bed setting they can do it. As for my case, we just do it for yi shi, after all we two will do the bed setting :)

Hi Jb,

Now only saw this thread, i am Teoh Chew too. Mind to share what was your GDL's stuffs since your GDL jz over few weeks? And my GDL is next 2 week.

Both side said simplify transditional rules .My parent didn't request for ''Si Dian Jing'' .

My mum said groom side prepare :

1) Ping Kam(up to my FH's ability)+ Ka Lui cake's ang pao(i'm Johorian, most r using cake instead of Ka Lui Peng in Johor)

2) 2 bottles of wine(either hard liquor or red wine)

3) 10 oranges & some other fruits

4) Some sweeties

Then we return stuffs to grooms side :

1) 2 bottles of orange cool drink

2) Return some oranges

3) An angpao for groom to buy whatever he like(usually PIL will buy belt, wallet.... for groom)

4) Some boxes of Ka Lui Cake and Teoh Chew biscuit

** My parent will give some $$$ to me from the Ping Kam reason being is give me to buy whatever thing i need/want, as last time my sister marriage they done so.

tomatopeanut,

you also teoh chew ah :) I'm half teoh chew but my mum practising teoh chew custome. We simplified a lot of things :)

My mum will return the ping kam for me in the form of gold but I told her she can just keep it, I don't need any extra jewery from her since she is giving 2 sets and I told her I don't plan to show my luggage (with money and jewery) to relatives .. aiks, you gals might be wondered ah! :P hahahah .. there's a practice in Kuching, the bride will arrange the ka chong in gold plates and also cash in fan style :wacko3: alamak! I don't like that, hopefully I can convince my mum not to do that.

hi tomatopeanut,

is the same as what your mom said. just that when we received the pin kam, we will return some back to them. As my mom said, we cannot take all. and also we will give them 五谷 when GDL. you can get it from any shop that selling wedding stuff.

Hi JB & beautifulgown,

Our traditional Ka Lui Peng for senior relatives

12302911_475.jpg

Halal & non-halal cakes for colleagues, friends & Ji Muis

12310059_475.jpg

Simple GDL's stuff gift by groom

12296318_475.jpg

Simple in return to groom too

12302837_475.jpg

tomatopeanut,

thanks for sharing :)

my mum also asking for peanut sweet :)

your GDL's items look not very complicated, but very different than mine.

Ya, BG. We went for simplified as much as possible.

tomatopeanut,

yeah! I believe if we want to follow full-set of teo chew GDL, more headache ya!!

I remember during my brother's wedding, my SIL is teo chew, alto they didn't followed full teo chew GDL but also kinda troublesome, they need to find the twin banana, this is the first time I heard. :D hahaahha

i am marrying a teoh chew :) but i am a hokkien..

his aunt was telling me tat i need to prepare towel to give to the boy's side aunty uncles..

put in a basket and give them during the GDL

considering i am "inviting" them ... to be serve tea by me on the actual day..

i now a lot question marks on my head le..

those towels.. is it all aunties and ucles of his side need it? i need to count how many to give?

if is husband and wife give in pairs?

if is single... give 1 onli?

if the relatives their spouse pass away d... is a pair or 1 towel onli?

any 1 can tell me how is it be done?

yaya..

forgot to ask oso...

his aunt oso did say tat.. i need to put ang pao on each towel.. stating is for who..

such as this pair towel for "da jiu" or for "da bo" .. etc ~.~

so.. is it when GDL.. a pair of basket full wif towel and FULL wif ang pao oso?

I have never heard about this before, my mum is teo-chew so as my HB but really I have never heard about this before.

Some more you need to prepare an angpao for them!? errr .. that's really funny. Why is the auntie said so and not his mum?

Guess, ask the auntie how should you prepare, tell her that you never know how and none of your teo-chew friends practice this too.

hi beautiful gown,

coz my FH mum was in oversea right now, and i meet up his aunt personally to ask for more details about wat should i prepare etc..

she guide me... and even take a paper to job it down for me...

but i was a bit "malu" to spend her time so much. So i tot i could get some information from here b4 i go back to her ~.~

seem like i need to go back and ask her d ~.~

ya she told me the towel is a ceremony to invite them for my tea ceremony.

To invite them to be serve tea by me.

she say the ang pao for them it should be a small amount ang pao. Such as Rm 5 or Rm10 will do.

Guess,

I see. I can't help on this as I have never heard about it before.

Inviting those aunties and uncles for tea-ceremony not suppose to be done by us leh, it should be both side parents who will invite them to come but how come is becomes the bride? mmm .. that's the part that I don't understand.

this part is oso making me blur..

nvm.. this weekend i will go find the aunty and clarify things wif her ~.~ is making my head bigger and bigger