Apekjolly

Organ Donation

ORGAN DONATION

Would you donate your organs?

How do you feel about pledging to donate your organs upon your death?

Signing a will to donate your organs means, in the even of your untimely death, an oragn or a tissue part of your body may be taken by a doctor to save other people's lives.

Some people have qualms about the thought of having part of their body taken away after death, but some people think it is a noble sacrifice one can make. What do you guys think?

Apekjolly,

ahh .. you opened a good thread.

I ever tot of that, but so far I don't have the courage to register myself as an organ donar, but I believe my HB will encourage me. He ever said, he wants to be an organ donar, so that after he goes, part of him still in this world, somewhere to accompany me. I like this idea :)

Maybe we two will register as an organ donar soon :)

hi apekjolly,

i've signed up to be an organ donor since 2001 :). i always carry the card with me & have notified my next of kin of my wish. you can have the option to just donate your kidneys / heart / liver / lungs / eyes / bones / skin OR all organs & tissues. i chose all because why waste right :wink: ?

My dad have sign up as an all organ donor.... He say when he is gone dun even need to waste money on that wood.... cos all will be taken away.... At first, the family disagree with him.... However, I think this is something he realy want so i just supported him.... As for me I will too however i will too.... but i haven't sign up... xP

I've been one for a while now and informed my parents as well as HB about it. Registering as a donor is very easy. How I did it was basically fill up a form at the Malaysian Society of Transplantation website. Later, they sent over a letter as well as a card which I then filled in myself and laminate. Even though I'm abroad, I still carry it with me. I'm planning to sign up as an organ donor here in Switzerland as well.

You can check out the Malaysian Medical Resource website here for more info but for those concerned...

For further information, contact the National Transplant Resource Centre, Kuala Lumpur Hospital, at tel: 03-9260066, 03-2942704 or 03-2942756.

OR you can sign up at this site (Malaysian Society of Transplantation).

This site also has pretty good info, pictures of the card & brochure/form.

Thanks Mei for sharing the info...

But hor, can i check whether this organ donation has any 'conflict' with religion?

coz my IL family is kindda religious, so i better check this out before i make d decision...

Ashley, if you look at the FAQ, they do tackle questions on religion and organ donation and the conclusion is a resounding, NO to your question. Organ donation absolutely has no conflict whatsoever with any major religion. Do check out the FAQ. :)

It is to save people live, I hope don't get this into religion matter.

Ashley, if you look at the FAQ, they do tackle questions on religion and organ donation and the conclusion is a resounding, NO to your question. Organ donation absolutely has no conflict whatsoever with any major religion. Do check out the FAQ. :)

I signed up for few years already. keep the card in my wallet.

but dint really told my family about it. never tot of the need to tell them, just think is a good idea of helping others, just in case.

:wink:

Thank you to all who respond to this thread. For those who have registered as a donor, I salute you with greatest honour.

I know some people hesitate to donate organs on religious ground. For those who face such a problem, try to ask yourself this simple question: Do you think God would forbid a person to save another person's life? If you answer yes to that question, then maybe it's time you dragged that god of yours by the beard and threw him into the river because a god which forbids you to do good is not worth to be worshipped.

Donating organ is noble thing to do. No one can dispute that. If there's a God, and if God is righteous, merciful, and kind like what every God believer believes him to be, then commonsense should tell us that such a God would surely not punish anyone for doing a noble thing.

For this reason, all the authorities of the major religions like Christian, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, or Sikhism have come up with a decree that it is okay to donate organs. They all say there's no specific verse in their holy books that prohibits the donation of body organs.

Now, religions aside, let's look at the issue from another angle: When a person dies, the body becomes a corpse to eventually rot away and perish, while those that go for cremation would become ashes. This means that all the organs which could be used by others as “spare parts” would also rot away to become useless dirt. What a waste, isn't it? Don't you feel it is better that a usable part of the body should be salvaged and given to another human being for him or her to get another chance to have a new lease of life? Can't you get a warm feeling in your heart to think that, part of you could still be living after you die? Imagine how grateful the organ receiver would be to you.

I have heard of a superstitious belief which says that if you donate away, for instance, an eye, then you would be walking around like a “one-eyed hero” in the next world. I nearly burst my lungs trying to stop myself from exploding into a guffaw when I heard that. Well, if if that is really true, then you still need not worry because you won't be alone; you'll meet millions and millions who would be walking around looking more grotesque than you would be because they had died with body parts crushed or missing due to wars, natural disasters, accidents, murders, etc, etc.

Now, let me be more serious: If there is a spiritual world, can you really expect the spiritual world to also operate exactly like the physical world? Unless the biology, the physics, and the chemistry of the spiritual world also work in identical manner to those of the physical world, then it would make sense to believe that you'd still be needing all your body parts to live over there? What? You're still worried to donate organs? GIMME A BREAK!.

davinci,

you should let your next of kin know of your wishes cos there are cases where doctors are unable to harvest organs becos donor's family refused to give their consent. although you have signed up voluntarily, they will still get consent from your next of kin.

BG & ashley,

sorry for not replying earlier. meiteoh already gave the links - thanks meiteoh!

I've signed up to donate my organs since 12 years ago. After signing up, I told my parents about it. Told them that I'm thankful to be brought to this life but my organs will not be any good to me when I passed on. So, I wish to donate them and hope to bring happiness to another person.

Later when I got married, I told my husband the same thing as well. He respected my decision. :)

Thanks goodness!

It's nice to know that there are still a lot of kind and sensible people around. I worry this species is heading towards extinction. Oh, how reliefed I feel now.

davinci,

you should let your next of kin know of your wishes cos there are cases where doctors are unable to harvest organs becos donor's family refused to give their consent. although you have signed up voluntarily, they will still get consent from your next of kin.

ohh okok, will tell FH, dont think he will object. he is fine with everything except those need money. hahaha.

beautifulgown,

Oh yes, I have sigend up for organ donation decades ago. But one of these days I'm gonna check if the pledge still stands.

By the way, I 've a story to share regarding organ donation:

A man went to an office to sign up for organ donation. He was accompanied by his jelaous wife.

"Which part of your body would like to donate," asked the officer who helped him fill in the form.

"Every part of my body, " the man answered.

"No, not every part," the man's wife interrupted, "I won't let him donate his penis.

"Why?," asked the officer, curious.

"Because I don't want him to commit adultery even after he dies," replied the wife.

The man turned to look at his wife and said, "Well, you can marry the man who gets my penis!"

I've signed up to donate my organs since 12 years ago. After signing up, I told my parents about it. Told them that I'm thankful to be brought to this life but my organs will not be any good to me when I passed on. So, I wish to donate them and hope to bring happiness to another person.

Later when I got married, I told my husband the same thing as well. He respected my decision. :)

so touching......................

to those signed up to donate the organs.....i must say : u r so kind ..........................................................................!!

Wish u all long life & happy always.......................................

i m still thinking to donate...................but give me more support ...muaaaaaaaaaaaaak

For me, it's not a question of being nice but just being practical.

I used to have a heart condition - a hole in the heart - and I've had it since I was a baby. I was lucky that it was a minor defect compared to other kids who have heart conditions. I know of a church friend who had three holes in her heart and needless to say, she passed away after complications and plenty of surgeries at a young age (just in her teens). Sometimes I tell myself that I was lucky that I don't need a transplant because there are a lot of people out there who feel that organ donation is something taboo religiously and so forth, and "spare" parts are not easy to find.

But after studying and reading about my own religion & organ donation, I discovered that the body has preciously little to do with the soul and the afterlife. For Christians, the body ceases to exist and the concept of pain/imperfection and what-not will not exist at all in heaven so there is little point for a person to have a complete corpse for burial or cremation. So why not donate my parts to help someone continue living? That, IMHO, is the best charitable thing to do. :)

meiteoh,

When you said you discovered that the body has preciously little to do with the soul and the afterlife, I finally found someone who talks some sense in this kind of matter.

To me, I'd like to push the concept even further: The body has nothing to do with the soul at all; totally. In fact, I doubt if there is even a soul or a heaven. Have you ever wondered what in heaven is a soul going to do for eternity? I mean, on earth here at least we can busy ourselves with the problems of life, but in heaven what are we gonna do for ever, and ever, and ever? Singing and dancing with God? I think I'm gonna be bored to death, but ooops! how can we die another death?

beautifulgown,

I don't know whether the story I shared was real or not. But if you were my wife, I won't let you donate three parts of yours: Your llips, your breasts, and your that thing down there.

Why? Because I can't bear to think that someone else might be using those items which have previously been enclusively licensed to me alone to use. You see, the new user may not be using them as gently and as graciously as I do.

Ooops! Don't tell your hubby what I said. Mati saya dihantam dia nanti!