amyho3

Ang Pow for Chinese New Year

Every year I'm the one who help my mum to prepare the angpow with different amount.

What we did is, different angpow packet (with the different printing) indicates the amount.

Ling, in fact you can skip giving out angpao on the coming cny as your AD is in Sept 2009. So you're still considered not married and still can receive angpao. hehe...

we were doing the same this yr. We ROM in 9th Jan, but we still received angpao and not giving angpao during this yr CNY. hehe...

Marry,

It sounds like giving number of angpows are based on individual family practise.

We are free to give either 1 or 2 angpows at both side families.

We handle both side families separately (but $ from the allocation) he knows his side well and I know my side well.

Actually, either 1 or 2 angpows the amount still RM20 (let say) if 2 angpows then it becomes RM10 each :wub: so I don't see the difference in terms of amount.

Marry,

Actually I also tot of that but HB was so bersemangat, he says this year lets give angpows together :wacko3: I will see how is it first, but we had already allocate the $ for angpows. :)

BG, yr HB very proud he's married to u la... he wait so many yrs already, looking forward to his turn to announce his wedding by giving angpau lor.... ;)

happi,

hahaha .. I prefer not to give angpow yet so that I can get angpow from my parents and siblings :P

BG, yr HB very proud he's married to u la... he wait so many yrs already, looking forward to his turn to announce his wedding by giving angpau lor.... ;)

ling, i think you ask your hubby to save the money 1st. Econ no good. better receive than giving next year. :P

But still up to you both as long as both of you are happy ;) hehe..

Marry,

Actually I also tot of that but HB was so bersemangat, he says this year lets give angpows together :wacko3: I will see how is it first, but we had already allocate the $ for angpows. :)

happi,

hahaha .. I prefer not to give angpow yet so that I can get angpow from my parents and siblings :P

just to share in my family, my parent will give angpow every year be it whether we are married or unmarried... then as for my married sibling, they'll give ang pow to those who are married but still without children... they'll continue to give ang pow in every CNY until the married sibling 1st baby is born... :P

Next year is my first year giving out "Ang Pao"

Decided to give RM 5 each after reading this, wanted to give RM10 actually.

Will increase to RM10 next year.

Giving RM20 for nieces and nephews.

Furthermore, economy not so good, better save a bit.

Spent a lot for wedding and need to save a bit for our bb next year.

marry,

you are right, economy not good we better save more $

let me discuss with HB again, maybe we still give angpow but not as much as RM50 each, reduce to RM20 should be ok, then as for my parents either RM200, RM300 or RM400, see what HB says about this.c :wub:

next yr is my 1st yr to give ang pou also.. i'm thinking of RM2 each packet (2 ang pous 1st yr). Is it ok ar? coz if RM5 then will be RM10 each dy.. juz finished wedding very poor now. sigh

Jacqline, I think it's ok. My mum has always gives out RM2 angpaus to general public macam small kids of people from my generation, followed by RM5 for those like in my generation (postman gets RM5 with some oranges and rubbish collecter gets RM2 per person with some oranges - they always come in a gang of six). RM10 and above is for people like her goddaugther and very close family members. For us, her children, the angpau amount is different (of course).

But this year, I won't balik for CNY. My parents suggested that I save the money coz of the recession. My FIL suggest that my HB send me back alone but my HB feel that not nice - nanti people talk about why he dunwan to come back to pai neen. So instead of one person balik and people talk, might as well both don't balik. I did ask my mum if got such thing where if a newlywed like me staying overseas tak balik, do the parents have to give angpau (coz one of my friends did that - she didn't balik but she ask her mum to give on her behalf), my mum say no, cannot. Angpau is for people to pai neen, that means they must come visit you in your house and greet you. If they don't pai neen, you don't need to give.

Anyway, a word of caution - please don't be like my family friend. Every year, she give out angpau at the church like nobody's business and it's RM10 per person. After that, she would complain that don't have enough money. My mum told her - church is not your home. Angpau for Chinese New Year is for people who come and visit you in your home. Giving people in church or at the office is not tai fong; it's called stupid and plus, it's not what CNY is all about.

hehe i think my case is different la. Since last time after my cousin got married they also got leave ang pou for us even tho we didnt see them. So i believe i should do the same way also else ppl will talk bad about us. I think ok la.. rm2 also reasonable for others, now economy not good too :p but own siblings give more la. :p

next yr is my 1st yr to give ang pou also.. i'm thinking of RM2 each packet (2 ang pous 1st yr). Is it ok ar? coz if RM5 then will be RM10 each dy.. juz finished wedding very poor now. sigh

Same here, my AD is a week b4 CNY... extra poor. I am thinking of RM2 per angpow too, 2 angpow means RM4 oredi. Ok lah, its only a 'yi si'. For very close relative like my nieces and nephew i wil give RM5 per angpow. Those 1 yr also dun meet 1 time give RM2 enaf.

ya agreed on the econ is no good nowadays last weekend I also consult my mom on the angpow issue my mom just advice me RM2 will enough as need to save more $$ for raining days...

Hi there. I m new 2 this forum. I just got married last May. Now I oso pening about the angpow matters. Some people say the 1st year wedding, no need 2 give angpow. I dun know wether is is true or not..... :lol: But I plan 2 give $50 4 both our parents, $10 4 both bro n sis n the rest $2 only. Maybe there wil b a complaint but I dun care la cos now v r struggling 2 save $$ 4 our new house next year.

i'm from JB and working in KL for few yrs oredi. at JB, we all nvr heard about 1st yr married have to give 2 ang pow during CNY. but in KL, yes, they practice this. wondering why and for what reason...

our office culture even ridiculous... we'll have to give min RM2 ang pow each in the office after we back from CNY holiday for all the singles and those married colleagues with children, tat means if "A" have 3 kids so i have to give 3 angpow x 2, tat's 6 angpow, "B" have 4 kids then 4 angpow x 4 = 8 angpow and so forth. our dept have around 15 staff (mostly married with kids), plus our neighbour dept altogether is around 40 staff!!! :dash2: i donno who set those rules... my fren has advised me, don care la, jz follow hubby & mine family custom by giving out 1 angpow will do, but hor... some of my colleagues' mouth are very "sai lei", their words can curse ppl until die leh! :bruce:

Cutiecate,

OMG ! I would say your office is so stupid by setting this ridiculous rule. If my office do like that, I will challenge my boss, if I don't give, see he will fire me or not ! My goodness !

If I am you, I won't give anyone in working place, see what your boss and colleagues will do. Let your colleagues curse bah ! Let them have the bad mouth and sin and be the bad people.

Cutiecate,

OMG ! I would say your office is so stupid by setting this ridiculous rule. If my office do like that, I will challenge my boss, if I don't give, see he will fire me or not ! My goodness !

If I am you, I won't give anyone in working place, see what your boss and colleagues will do. Let your colleagues curse bah ! Let them have the bad mouth and sin and be the bad people.

last 2 yrs i have a colleague who 1st yr married, she gave double angpow to only who are single in the office but not to those aunties with kids. then hor... got aunties talked bad bout her in front of me leh... :sauer2:

the rule is set by those "long service staff" in our dept & neighbour dept. of cos if i don give my boss wont fire me, but when dealing with "those" colleagues sure give me trouble lo! i think as long as i still work here i hv to follow their culture gua... :huh:

oh......I guess already, those long service staffs, like pioneer staffs in our hotel lah, those are trouble-makers. They think the company belonged to them. Well, if you really want to give them ang pow, just give according what you can afford, just as a donation to them bah (so bad of me) ! Since they are so eager to receive ang pow !

Im giving out rm2 to children who arent related to me and rm5 to those who are slightly older (not many in this category)

rm10 to cousins, nieces and nephews

rm50 or more to my favourite cousin who is like a sister to me

parents, pil and grandparents i will give more la...

mabel, your mum is right. since you wont be around, you dont have to ask your mum to hand out angpow on your behalf

as for ppl in the office, dont bother...just too many to give out

oh......I guess already, those long service staffs, like pioneer staffs in our hotel lah, those are trouble-makers. They think the company belonged to them. Well, if you really want to give them ang pow, just give according what you can afford, just as a donation to them bah (so bad of me) ! Since they are so eager to receive ang pow !

haha... u r funny! yalo, will only give the minimum ie RM2 per angpow, means RM4 to each single and each of their kids lo! rclxub.gif

HI,

I am Hakka and as far as i know it has been a practice in my family. So i'll just follow the tradition in order to avoid complications/trouble from relatives.... I think if i don't give 2 ang pau, i'll never hear the end of it from all the 3 ku 6 poh...

I'm Hakka and HB Canton. 1 st year marriage, his relative side must be given 2 angpaw but my side only 1 angpaw. Until now 8yrs married also must give 2 angpaw! Ask him why- he said is tradition! :sauer2:

Every year angpaw money will be at least $1000 and each $5 and exclusive mother and PIL.

No wonder kids always looking forward for the CNY but adult feel a bit ....... :blink:

Do you give angpaw to elder sister who haven't married?

I would think so. My unmarried uncles and aunts who are older always get angpau from their younger married siblings.

But really, that tradition is too much la!