ycl

Bathroom renovation

Hi all, does anybody has any idea what would be the estimated cost involved of renovating a bathroom? It would be a total revamp ie replacing the wash basins, the toilet etc. Any views/opinions would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Depends on your budget. Large portion of the cost would go to the fitting and tiles. If you select expensive brands such as Johnson Suisse, Toto etc, it may cost you a couple of grands.

My own budget is around rm6k inclusive of JS WC and sink, Guocera tiles, lighting, ventilator, glass shower screen, water heater, shower rose, tap etc.

Depends on your budget. Large portion of the cost would go to the fitting and tiles. If you select expensive brands such as Johnson Suisse, Toto etc, it may cost you a couple of grands.

My own budget is around rm6k inclusive of JS WC and sink, Guocera tiles, lighting, ventilator, glass shower screen, water heater, shower rose, tap etc.

Thanks Kaybee. Brands arent important to me as long as they are functional and long lasting. I might intall a rain forest shower head which may cost me a bomb. Do you also have built in cabinet underneath your sink?

I hate to think of the total cost as i have to renovate 4 bathrooms *sigh*

Thanks Kaybee. Brands arent important to me as long as they are functional and long lasting. I might intall a rain forest shower head which may cost me a bomb. Do you also have built in cabinet underneath your sink?

I hate to think of the total cost as i have to renovate 4 bathrooms *sigh*

Hi ycl, i think the cost of the renovation greatly depends on the size of ur bathrooms though. You might be able to get cheaper price if you buy all things for all 4 of your bathrooms at the same time.

just to share what i got for my bathrooms (only 2 of em :P)

Wall tiles hacking and laying (total size for both : 454 sf) = RM 3405 (7.5 /sf)

Floor tiles hacking and laying (total size for both : 125 sf) = RM 875 (7 /sf)

WC (Brand Surin, size normal) = RM 580 (290 each)

Basin (Johnson suisse, size 3 ft width, model COMO) = RM 270 (135 each)

Mirror mirror on the wall... (2.5 ft x 3.5 ft, no design) = RM 76 (38 each)

Water tap (Bellini brand.. dunno wat brand it is...)_ = RM 70 (35 each)

Basin Stopper + Cap (chrome) = RM 130 (65 per set)

Several stoppers + cover (at floor one) = RM180 (90 per bathroom)

so in total = RM 5586 for 2 bathrooms... voila... that bad eh? :)

Oops, i forgot to include the Materials cost for tiles:

Wall tiles: 454 sf = 1135 (2.50 / sf) - have to choose something cheaper...

Floor tiles: 312.5 (2.5/sf also)

So total up RM7033.50... phew...

Hope this give u some 'hope' of getting ur 4 bathrooms done within 15k though... :P

WOW!! renovating bathroom need so much $$$$. getting my key on next year jan'09. now have to think twice. first thinking of change the tile to others colour coz i hate white tile. after few year will have spot on it.

maybe i will buy cheaper tile, bathroom small size ard 5ft x 8ft. x h9ft

dunno need to change others thing onot. I estimate RM2.5K only wor for 1 bathroom.

Hope my father can help me find cheaper contractor.

WOW!! renovating bathroom need so much $$$$. getting my key on next year jan'09. now have to think twice. first thinking of change the tile to others colour coz i hate white tile. after few year will have spot on it.

dunno need to change others thing onot. I estimate RM2.5K only wor for 1 bathroom.

Hope my father can help me find cheaper contractor.

I think 2.5k sound reasonable if u r not changing the wall tiles and your WC + basin etc.

if looking at the size itself, ur floor is ard 40 sf, wall around 90 sf + 144 sf, total will be... eh....274 sf...cool. :)

u can go for the cost of RM9/sf , then only cost u in total 2466... RM34 left for u to go old town enjoy some nice coffee... ahahah... good?

Last week I went to Hatyai and there is HomePro in their Carrefour. There got a lot of bathroom samples displaying (i think around 20). Me n my bf able to get a lot of ideas from there.

If u pay a visit to Hatyai, juz go take a look from there. Pretty sure u will impress.

Thank you all for all the helpful advice. Really appreciate it. To be honest i have no idea how big or small the bathroom is as the house we will be staying belongs to my father in law. I have only been there once and everything is a blur to me :p. Will definitely check out the size of the bathroom soon.

One more question, how long was the renovation?

Thank you all for all the helpful advice. Really appreciate it. To be honest i have no idea how big or small the bathroom is as the house we will be staying belongs to my father in law. I have only been there once and everything is a blur to me :p. Will definitely check out the size of the bathroom soon.

One more question, how long was the renovation?

For my case, i overhaul whole house (wall lar, piping lar, wiring lar, tiles lar, blablabla), they promise 20 days... now 10 days d, and i can see the progress is still on track :)

(notes: if you are having a landed property, i believe it will cut down ur time by another 20-30%, reason being, u don't need to comply with any of the Management office rules (9am-5.30pm working hour only, Sat and Sun can't make noise, etc etc) :)

5ft x 8ft is not small at all. It is average size for most houses. My bathrooms are about the same size, may slightly shorter at 7ft.

Hi ycl, i think the cost of the renovation greatly depends on the size of ur bathrooms though. You might be able to get cheaper price if you buy all things for all 4 of your bathrooms at the same time.

just to share what i got for my bathrooms (only 2 of em :P)

Wall tiles hacking and laying (total size for both : 454 sf) = RM 3405 (7.5 /sf)

Floor tiles hacking and laying (total size for both : 125 sf) = RM 875 (7 /sf)

WC (Brand Surin, size normal) = RM 580 (290 each)

Basin (Johnson suisse, size 3 ft width, model COMO) = RM 270 (135 each)

Mirror mirror on the wall... (2.5 ft x 3.5 ft, no design) = RM 76 (38 each)

Water tap (Bellini brand.. dunno wat brand it is...)_ = RM 70 (35 each)

Basin Stopper + Cap (chrome) = RM 130 (65 per set)

Several stoppers + cover (at floor one) = RM180 (90 per bathroom)

so in total = RM 5586 for 2 bathrooms... voila... that bad eh? :)

Oops, i forgot to include the Materials cost for tiles:

Wall tiles: 454 sf = 1135 (2.50 / sf) - have to choose something cheaper...

Floor tiles: 312.5 (2.5/sf also)

So total up RM7033.50... phew...

Hope this give u some 'hope' of getting ur 4 bathrooms done within 15k though... :P

Good, very detail cost breakdown. Thank you. If you add shower screen, the cost would go up even further. Glass type would cost about rm1200 per bath. Plus ycl can bring the cost down further by using cheaper accessories such as cheaper drain cover (<rm10), sink stopper (<rm40), water tap (rm14) and those el-cheapo china made sink + WC. Acrylic shower screen is around rm900.

hello...i m new here.

anyone has suggestion of the contractor to do up the bathroom? Or will this contractor be in charge of other renovation..eg..kitchen cabinet etc?

sorry still new in this..very bad

First need to know what you want to do with the bathroom. For tiles, need tiler. For plumbing need plumber or general contractor. For shower screen, need aluminum shop especially those specialized in bathroom and wet area. etc.

First need to know what you want to do with the bathroom. For tiles, need tiler. For plumbing need plumber or general contractor. For shower screen, need aluminum shop especially those specialized in bathroom and wet area. etc.

wow...meaning have to have really good co-ordination lor...

quite a headache...esp when budget not much...haha

wow...meaning have to have really good co-ordination lor...

quite a headache...esp when budget not much...haha

You can always ask the general contractor or ID to handle everything for you if the job is big. Like I said before, it is really depends on what you want to do. For example, if you just want to re-tile, you can talk to the general contractor or if you know a tiler, you can award the work directly to the tiler instead.

wow, didn't know that it could cost up to rm7k for bathroom itself. i just shown my general contractor cum ID yday, that i want these done.

shower screen

tile up the remaining of the walls, coz now only tiled up 5ft by developer

change wash basin with top and bottom cabinets

remove current lousy door, and replace with folding door

water heater system

water pump system ( i like showering in big water pressure )

rain shower + the hand-held one

this only for the bathroom in master room.

for the other bathroom upstairs, will only replace the shower with a better one.

downstairs, i yet to think and decide about it, master room more important coz we spend more time there..

anyone can help to estimate around how much for these done?

thank you..

The place to go for reasonable and economical WC, Basin and so on ... try HanLim located along Jln Penchala, after Campell Soup Factory.

Things I brought:

Johnson Suisse WC, Luton - RM360/pcs

Johnson Suisse Basin, Boston 500 - RM88/pcs