Sign in to follow this  
gedebe

BF: do you baby wake up in the nite?

yes, this might has been discussed. Our girl is into 9 months of fully BF. However we find it a little inconvenience as she wakes up say 2 - 3 times at night for BM.

How to avoid or at least lessen the frequency of midnight BF. We have also started introducing solid food for her, but yet the wakes up frequency remains.

yes, this might has been discussed. Our girl is into 9 months of fully BF. However we find it a little inconvenience as she wakes up say 2 - 3 times at night for BM.

How to avoid or at least lessen the frequency of midnight BF. We have also started introducing solid food for her, but yet the wakes up frequency remains.

my gal is turning 3 months and has been waking up 1-4 times for night feeds.

a fren taught me to start feeding her with water at night after she weigh up to 6kg (when her body's store able to last her through the night) so that she learnt not to demand for feed at night. i know many mother does this but i am not sure if i am able to do this later. cutting down night feeds will cut down milk supply so if u r planning to long term BF your baby, this might be something u need to consider.

just a suggestion, why not u feed her while letting her sleep by your side? will this help?

my gal is turning 3 months and has been waking up 1-4 times for night feeds.

a fren taught me to start feeding her with water at night after she weigh up to 6kg (when her body's store able to last her through the night) so that she learnt not to demand for feed at night. i know many mother does this but i am not sure if i am able to do this later. cutting down night feeds will cut down milk supply so if u r planning to long term BF your baby, this might be something u need to consider.

just a suggestion, why not u feed her while letting her sleep by your side? will this help?

You mentioned a good point here for long term BF. HOwever how do we balance up between waking up to many times to BF vs wanting to stimulate BM what is the ideal BF frequency at night?

gedebe, just share my experiences. My son also fully BM. and I start intro him solid food when he was bout 5 mths. he used to wake every 2-3 hrs from newborn till 4th mth. but the frequency graduately reducing when he grow up. now basically 1-2 times. my son have two main meal (porridge), 2 bottle milk, 1 fruit/vege/biscuit food daily. what I do is try to feed bb full before he sleep ie. usually he had dinner about 6.30-7pm. then 8-8.30pm he sleep. 12pm feed him again although he didnt wake up. sometimes he wake up 1-2pm again, just feed him with water. then about 5-6 pm will feed again.

<<<cutting down night feeds will cut down milk supply so if u r planning to long term BF your baby, this might be something u need to consider. >>>

Frankly speaking, I think is on ind. for my case, I stop breastfeed my son directly since he was 4 mths +. But I still cont pump out as normal (4 times). I could get average 30-40oz per day which the supply is more than enuf for my son. What I do is I freeze the extra milk. I have a fren who BF her daughter till 2 yrs +. she told me that as long as u still BF or cont pump out, the milk supply will be longer. My advice is try don't intro formula milk to ur bb if ur plan for long term BF.

there could be a few scenarios here :-

1) if your baby suddenly wake up to nurse so often, could be growth spurt.

2) if all this while also like this, your baby could be reverse cycle nursing - take less milk when mom is away, tank up at night when mom is around.

3) comfort sucking. often changes in routine or new stages of development in the baby trigger increased desire to breastfeed for comfort and reassurance.

4) teething/developmental milestones.

personally, i still nurse my baby few times a night (i feed on demand & my girl is a reverse cycle nurser). i dont have any good solution for you (i have no plans of cutting down her night feeds). the only thing i can suggest is learn to nurse while lying down sideways. it'll help your wife to get some sleep/rest.

if both of you feel night weaning is the option you wanna take now, here's a link with night weaning tips for you to read.

good luck!