Sign in to follow this  
capricorn

What to buy for CNY?

Wah! CNY is around the corner but I have bought nothing yet.Angpow money also haven't change.

Went to market round and round but don't know what to buy?

What about you?

oredi prepare?

Normally the CNY shopping is done by my parents.

For my contribution, I will buy two boxes of 5 litre of sundrop brand - green tea and crysanthemum tea for them, then bake few types of kek lapis and kek hitam manis and also 2 packets of prawn keropok for them.

Then every year we will make pork floss wrapped with popiah skin then go for deep fried.

My SILs will prepare the cookies, normally they bought from their friends.

They normally will get

1. Drinks - Cola, Sprite, Sandy

2. Dry Pork

3. Culter fish (few types with differ flavour)

4. Nuts

Then our open house always on first day of CNY, SIL will get Malay to cook Nasi Briyani, Curry Chicken, mix vege, then mum will prepare steamboard and spring roll.

Since this CNY we have a house of our own and not living with the inlaws liao, we'll have to get ready more things.

1. Must of course get ready the angpows a few days before CNY.

2. Must buy mandarin oranges, soft drinks, tit bits etc from Tesco or Giant. Will expect some guests during CNY.

3. Must go pasar malam to buy CNY cookies like pineapple rolls, nga ku peng, etc and also some fresh flowers to

decorate the house.

4. Must go Jusco or Ikea to get some nice potted plants and some colourful mobiles to hang around the house.

5. Last but not least..must buy new clothes for hb and myself (daughter's clothes already bought).

Hi,

Me too, not yet prepare anything. Most properly will buy mandarin oranges, kacang, gua chi & some cookies.

By the way, mind to share what you all bring when visit to relative's house ?

Hi! Hi! Just came back from Tesco and bought

1.a pair of cowsy for deco-1 male and 1 female,

2.pussy willow and flower vase,

3.door decos,

4.CNY biscuits.

5.gift for mum n PIL

Every year PIL buy slices of fish cod, dunno what special chicken, superb prawnsy,sea cucumber, abalone.

I asked her 1 day, what have she bought.

She said: fei kai, sea cucumber, ma yau fish, sang choi and other canned clams. Eco not so good, so this year reducce a bit.

I told my hb to chip in 2kg superb prawn so the PIL,brother and sister-in law, the kids can" xiao ha ha" a bit!

Then some more food will shop with HB this weekend.

Usually how much do you spend for CNY? can share a bit. Else don't no whether I'm over spending?

Me roughly $ 4k :unsure:

Yeah :lol: CNY is coming :wub: For HB & myself sure is new clothes, new pants, new shoes, new bra sets & new panties... haha....

For family I normally will buy drink & mandarin oranges only coz those biscoti I bought b4 usually cant finish & will keep it till nexy year then throw away :ohmy: so better dont buy ... waste...

When I bought less of this things I will give more $$ to my mom & she decide on what to buy lor... This year I was newly wed & 1st year in MIL house I think I will just gives $$ lor simple & easy :tongue:

One thing made me sad is this is the 1st year I not with my family in the CNY day 1 where I find very not used to it & not happy also :bye: but still I find luckily I got a lovely husband to ask his parent to swift the reunion dinner to lunch in the afternoon then we can have reunion dinner with my family at night :wub:

This year I still stayed with parents, so don't spent much, I think the most is around RM2k including angpows to my parents, HB will prepare the angpows for my nieces and nephew.

Hi,

Me too, not yet prepare anything. Most properly will buy mandarin oranges, kacang, gua chi & some cookies.

By the way, mind to share what you all bring when visit to relative's house ?

If close relative-a box of mandarin orens, happy nut, dried meat

If fren - 8 mandarin oren,choco,happy nut

If not so close relative- 8 mandarin oren+peanut

wah :ohmy: ... 4K!!!! Thats a lot leh ...

Hi! Hi! Just came back from Tesco and bought

1.a pair of cowsy for deco-1 male and 1 female,

2.pussy willow and flower vase,

3.door decos,

4.CNY biscuits.

5.gift for mum n PIL

Every year PIL buy slices of fish cod, dunno what special chicken, superb prawnsy,sea cucumber, abalone.

I asked her 1 day, what have she bought.

She said: fei kai, sea cucumber, ma yau fish, sang choi and other canned clams. Eco not so good, so this year reducce a bit.

I told my hb to chip in 2kg superb prawn so the PIL,brother and sister-in law, the kids can" xiao ha ha" a bit!

Then some more food will shop with HB this weekend.

Usually how much do you spend for CNY? can share a bit. Else don't no whether I'm over spending?

Me roughly $ 4k :unsure:

One thing made me sad is this is the 1st year I not with my family in the CNY day 1 where I find very not used to it & not happy also :bye: but still I find luckily I got a lovely husband to ask his parent to swift the reunion dinner to lunch in the afternoon then we can have reunion dinner with my family at night :wub:

Since married,never went home for reunion dinner with family on eve and 1st day.

Usually the 2nd.

At first, me too feel odd and dunno what to do at PIL home. After eating, go temple together and come back nite time eat again.

Hb lagi dun. Where got arrange reunion dinner with own family for me every year. :wacko3:

My mum hse usually very merry. With lots of relative comin and play cards.And kids play fire cracker.But PIL hse a bit quiet.

wah :ohmy: ... 4K!!!! Thats a lot leh ...

mum-1k

PIL-1K

oredi 2k

gift for close relative roughly 600. Wah Se. I got 4 gu che. 1 uncle. 1 brother, 1 sister,

My hb 2 brother!

left over for myself,hb and kids clothing,food, own stuff and angpow for those taukei le.

Ha!Ha! Since not yet shop for those relative.Think this year must cut as much as possible. :lol:

We do buy gifts for close relation went we go to visit them but not very expensive things la it just like biscoti & mandarin oranges only....

yaya .. my mum will bring 4 oranges alone and a bottle of home-made (by my mum) ah-cha for my aunty.

oh ya .. forgot to add in 1 more item ..

every CNY mum will made ah-cha :)

We do buy gifts for close relation went we go to visit them but not very expensive things la it just like biscoti & mandarin oranges only....

for cny, biggest spending is actually on angpau to parents and grandparents.

when visiting relatives , i will bring gifts la- biscuit kuih, canned fruit etc

but this year i dun plan to buy for my husband's relative, except this parents and grandma la...because i always give no one give back one wor....not that i calculative or asking for return, i tot it is just part of culture and 'lai mao'. even give me 2 oranges also good - just for the meaning of giving la....

What is ah-cha???

yaya .. my mum will bring 4 oranges alone and a bottle of home-made (by my mum) ah-cha for my aunty.

oh ya .. forgot to add in 1 more item ..

every CNY mum will made ah-cha :)

but this year i dun plan to buy for my husband's relative, except this parents and grandma la...because i always give no one give back one wor....not that i calculative or asking for return, i tot it is just part of culture and 'lai mao'. even give me 2 oranges also good - just for the meaning of giving la....

emm... normally when we go visit our relatives & bring something there sure they will gives us back something but sometime my mum refuse to accept also coz give us we not eat it also waste so sometimes we dont take lor....

but as traditionally they shd return something to u lar ... which means "not take everything but left some" or "gifts return"...

ha!ha! I give you kuih bakul and 8 oranges lah. Just keep the tradition of giving cause if you have kid,they will imitate us when they grow up.

This yr I plan to shrink my gift to those ah gu and relatives but still look presentable.

wsyrinrin,

ah cha is made by cucumber, then sauce is made by shrimp prawn, onion, venager, fried each individually then .. I don't know liau, hahahaha each time I'm only helping in preparing the cucumber, shrimp prawn and onion only, mum will cut the cucumber into thin slices then press out all the water before mix with the sauce.

It always eat with keropok :P very nice, I don't know what's call in another name but we called that as ah cha. :)

capricorn, u r right kids will imitate. will do it again when i have kids :cool:

ha!ha! I give you kuih bakul and 8 oranges lah. Just keep the tradition of giving cause if you have kid,they will imitate us when they grow up.

This yr I plan to shrink my gift to those ah gu and relatives but still look presentable.

lots of things to buy for CNY sigh.

1. mandarin oranges - as return gifts for guests

2. candies - for the kids

3. cookies - the ingrediants. would probably bake them myself.

4. peanuts - i guess this is one of the essentials

5. drinks - shandy, chrysanthemum,...

6. ba kua

7. CNY new clothes

8. decos for the house

9. stuffs for prayers

the list can go on and on and on, trust me. just that we don't have enough money to buy them all haha.

:blink: ooh my.. is it CNY already ???

i not yet done any CNY shopping yet !!

So many to buys $$$ . Mandarain oranges, cookies, gift for family & relative..

clothes for HB & me & baby.... faint lo

btw, forgot to write down that Tesco is having a promo on drinho drinks.

rm12.88 per carton, tomorrow last day oh.

Usually, we buy the following:

For visiting:

1) Mandarin oranges

2) Kacang

3) Some biscuits or sweet stuff (homemade or bought)

4) Canned longan or fruits (again sweet)

5) Others (eg abalone, mushrooms, bird nest and what-not) - reserved for elders and close family members

For house guests:

1) Mandarin oranges

2) Cookies & titbits (keropok, nga koo, pistachios (super good luck), peanuts, etc) - this is also the time to showcase your kitchen skills (homemade goodies are ALWAYS a must)

3) Drinks (canned or packet)

4) Alcohol (beer, and etc)

5) Others like sweets or any other goodies which you think people would like to try

For deco (this depends on your budget and DIY skills):

1) Tang lungs to hang outside the house

2) Paper banners and figures (you know, those sparkly couplets) - don't buy according to zodiac coz you can only use them once every 12 years

3) Cherry blossoms and pussy willows

4) Others (figurines, red stuff - I like to change my bedsheets to red for CNY...festive mah!)

Those who can DIY, your main staple is angpau paper and stapler - can make tang lungs and what-nots which you can hang from the ceiling or from the pussy willows.

Preparation:

1) Clean house from top to bottom, inside-out and what-not!!!!!!!!! This includes changing curtains, wash toilet until super white and can makan off the walls and floor, giving your dogs a nice bath bath nearer to the CNY date, etc...must clean outside oso.

2) Bake those yummy goodies!

3) Change money for angpau!

4) Don't forget to ask bank people for angpau!

5) Buy some new baju (ho lai mah!)

6) Take out some jewellery from safe deposit box and wear, if you dare

7) Buy all the stuff you need listed above

8) Prepare New Year's Eve menu and shop for it (don't forget to cook it oso)

When I was back at home, every year, we'll start preparing for CNY at least one month before the first day - we make a lot of cookies and stuff and because my parents and I together with my HB (then BF) and bro kerja, we can only do these things together as a family on the weekends so have to plan carefully. And my mum doesn't like to do everything at one go coz it's very tiring and san fu so we split up the stuff and the workload as well.

We also start buying things wayyyyy before CNY macam kacang and all coz they can be cheaper...or we buy in bulk. Luckily for us, my mum always kena people give her hamper (at least two every year) so we just use the items from there and buy the rest.

Honeylee, why that side of the family so bizarre one? It's actually very bad luck for the person to NOT give anything back to people when people give you stuff during Chinese New Year. Macam you start the year with hutang people saja. Even going to visit people without bringing anything is bad not to mention ill-mannered. My mum's side always insist that we take back something and they usually don't mind if it's just oranges so long as we take back something when we give them stuff. Cannot leave the house empty-handed coz it means they hutang my mum.

Phew! Yesterday evening, finished my deco. The wall facing the main door is full of deco: money tree, fish,2 cowsy, 3 fook and CNY greeting.

The deco are the mixture of last yr n this yr stuff. kena jimat sikit.

I hv mapped out what to buy oredi thnks everyone for idea.

The nx thing is what to do during CNY for the whole week.

Usually

eve: reunion lunch + chit chat+ preparation for god of wealth (just simply and no proper guidance) + sleep

1st: cook + reunion breakfast + chit chat + visit temple +fire cracker + sleep

2nd: cook + reunion breakfast + chit chat + visit relative + go back mum's house+ reunion lunch+ chit chat+ relative house+ chit chat +

reunion dinner+go home (mum house not far)

3rd:

4th:

5th:

6th:

7th: sleep early go to work the nx day :tongue: