Sign in to follow this  
capricorn

What to buy for CNY?

capricorn,

Actually fry nga gu is easy but time consuming. I will wash first before peeling. If not wash, after peeling is very dirty. Then shred. I will use scrapper to scrap all first then fry. Then fry as what jaunty_neil shared. I put to fry piece by piece. Some people will use the peeler to scrap straight inside to fry (I'm not good in this). Easier. It's tiring...standing too long to fry. Now my legs are pain...hahaha. But I really enjoy it and my hubby loves it very much. In fact I want to make it for hubby :lol:

By the way, dry under the sun before frying is better. If not have to put in piece by piece. If not it will stick together.

oh ya, you have to pat the ngaku dry before dumping them into the wok. i've seen people fry fresh ngakus in SS2's nightmarket, where 1 person slices the ngaku with the tool, and another person stir the ngakus in the big wok. time consuming, but when it comes to eating, takes less than 5minutes to finish 1 whole bottle.

Am I too late to share? I think we're over spending for our 1st year CNY after married.

This year, we gave RM3k to my parents and RM1k for PIL

We also bought abalones, dry pork, mandarin oranges, wallet sets to my parents.

We also bought abalones to MIL, wallet sets, shirts & blouses to PIL.

So non-cash, we spent on PIL & my parents is about 1k jor.

Others will be some cookies, snacks, soft drinks in case others come to visit us during cny. I think it's roughly RM500 already.

For clothes, hubby & I almost spent like rm1k. Err.. to be frank, I also don't know what we bought. Like bought nothing.

Btw, I need to ask those who're taoist, on the 9th day of cny (midnite of 8th day of cny), what kind of thing we need to buy or put while praying 'Tin Gong'?

Yea yea.....I bought all my CNY stuffs last Saturday but not very much la.....just simple things. Want to save money mah...Already packed those stuffs for each house that I'll visit during CNY.

I bought almost 7 kg of nga gu (arrowhead) and fried around 3 kg last night until 1 am this morning...Will fry the balance tonight. Tiring but fun. I like to do it. I won't waste my money to buy fried nga gu because it's too expensive. My place even sells it at RM 13 for only a very small tin. I really feel so shock they will sell such expensive. Fresh arrowhead only cost RM 2++ per kg ! RM 13.....I can make so many tins already. So if I buy outside, I feel that I'm like eating money...it's definitely no no to me.

My goodness....just_me, you remind me about the ang pao. I almost forget about it. I changed money already but still not yet put into the red packets. Haii....will do later after my nga gu project.

Actually I buy the 'nga koo' from my mom......She do small biz selling cookies and etc for CNY... if buying from other people feel like i'm burning $$$$.. Tomorrow will go to bank and change $$$. BTW, what is the "market" rate now for giving ang pau??

Hi all,

Yah me too!!

I think next month I am going to be bancrupt :wacko3: ...i can't imagin when i got the credit card statement from bank next month LoL..

somemore, the cash spent on giving parent, grandparent....bla bla bla....

:dash2: ...money just spent like waterfalls since end of last year....wuwuwu...

Yea yea.....I bought all my CNY stuffs last Saturday but not very much la.....just simple things. Want to save money mah...Already packed those stuffs for each house that I'll visit during CNY.

I bought almost 7 kg of nga gu (arrowhead) and fried around 3 kg last night until 1 am this morning...Will fry the balance tonight. Tiring but fun. I like to do it. I won't waste my money to buy fried nga gu because it's too expensive. My place even sells it at RM 13 for only a very small tin. I really feel so shock they will sell such expensive. Fresh arrowhead only cost RM 2++ per kg ! RM 13.....I can make so many tins already. So if I buy outside, I feel that I'm like eating money...it's definitely no no to me.

My goodness....just_me, you remind me about the ang pao. I almost forget about it. I changed money already but still not yet put into the red packets. Haii....will do later after my nga gu project.

Actually I buy the 'nga koo' from my mom......She do small biz selling cookies and etc for CNY... if buying from other people feel like i'm burning $$.. Tomorrow will go to bank and change $$. BTW, what is the "market" rate now for giving ang pau??

Angpao market price? Since married till now I gave $5.

Thought of a notion of giving just $2 but afraid people view me as kiam siap :wacko3:

My mum gets her nga koo or arrowroot from Giant and people have always been bugging us to sell the nga koo we fry up. Wash before peeling and peel carefully otherwise your nga koo will have a dark ring around it. We grate it using a slicer, use paper towels to dry up the excess liquid (we stack them up one by one), add salt to the oil and fry. We've tried other ways but find that this is the best. :smile:

My mum gets her nga koo or arrowroot from Giant and people have always been bugging us to sell the nga koo we fry up. Wash before peeling and peel carefully otherwise your nga koo will have a dark ring around it. We grate it using a slicer, use paper towels to dry up the excess liquid (we stack them up one by one), add salt to the oil and fry. We've tried other ways but find that this is the best. :smile:

Slicer like this?supreme-slicer.jpg

just dry with paper towel and no need to dry under the sun?

add salt into the oil and fry or add salt after frying?

Actually I buy the 'nga koo' from my mom......She do small biz selling cookies and etc for CNY... if buying from other people feel like i'm burning $$.. Tomorrow will go to bank and change $$. BTW, what is the "market" rate now for giving ang pau??

Thought of a notion of giving just $2 but afraid people view me as kiam siap :wacko3:

This year is my first CNY after married... Have to give double ang pau :wacko: .. Also don't want people to see me as kiam siap.. My HB is caucasian and they think that "kuai low" sure have a lot of $$$... :dash2: Don't know why people think that way....

Any other brides that's celebrating their first CNY? How much are you guys giving? :rolleyes:

Actually I buy the 'nga koo' from my mom......She do small biz selling cookies and etc for CNY... if buying from other people feel like i'm burning $.. Tomorrow will go to bank and change $. BTW, what is the "market" rate now for giving ang pau??

This year is my first CNY after married... Have to give double ang pau :wacko: .. Also don't want people to see me as kiam siap.. My HB is caucasian and they think that "kuai low" sure have a lot of $$... :dash2: Don't know why people think that way....

Any other brides that's celebrating their first CNY? How much are you guys giving? :rolleyes:

Especially newly wed couple, once you hv started giving fat angpao the 1st year, subsequently the following year kids especially looking for the same amount or bigger of the 1st angpao you've given to them.

Every year, I give $5 but this year will just give $2.

Heard from a consultant yesterday, ppl will understand bcos econ not good so angpao shrinking is not a matter. Many ppl give pressure to ownself like,if given below market $ ppl will view you as kiam siap.

Ehm, good said!

Must save for rainy day. Oh not rainy day but 'tsunami day' :tongue:

Actually I buy the 'nga koo' from my mom......She do small biz selling cookies and etc for CNY... if buying from other people feel like i'm burning $.. Tomorrow will go to bank and change $. BTW, what is the "market" rate now for giving ang pau??

This year is my first CNY after married... Have to give double ang pau :wacko: .. Also don't want people to see me as kiam siap.. My HB is caucasian and they think that "kuai low" sure have a lot of $$... :dash2: Don't know why people think that way....

Especially newly wed couple, once you hv started giving fat angpao the 1st year, subsequently the following year kids especially looking for the same amount or bigger of the 1st angpao you've given to them.

Every year, I give $5 but this year will just give $2.

Heard from a consultant yesterday, ppl will understand bcos econ not good so angpao shrinking is not a matter. Many ppl give pressure to ownself like,if given below market $ ppl will view you as kiam siap.

Ehm, good said!

Must save for rainy day. Oh not rainy day but 'tsunami day' :tongue:

Saving for "tsunami day" :biggrin: ... I don't think people that i know understand that bad economy is effecting a lot of people... They think that my HB "kuai low" sure got $$ :dash2: they think that the economy bad not affecting us.... :sauer2: ... Also during the tea ceremony, when i give the ang pow (2), each is RM 5 so total is RM 10.. If now give less then that "mm how tai" (not nice to see).... :rclxub: From the wedding until now, $$$ is like a waterfall... Non-stop going out... :bye:

Ppl dun understand never mind. we understand, is enough. Can't agree more. $$$ really flow like water fall.

Till now, I haven't shop for food for CNY bcos want to close the water tap as tight as possible 1st. Then, on Sat only let it drip lil by lil :lol:

Ppl dun understand never mind. we understand, is enough. Can't agree more. $$$ really flow like water fall.

Till now, I haven't shop for food for CNY bcos want to close the water tap as tight as possible 1st. Then, on Sat only let it drip lil by lil :lol:

I have bought some "nga koo" and cookies from my mom... Have not decorate house, buy mandarin oranges, drinks, etc... Also have not change money for ang pow... Seems like24 hrs a day also not enough....

Ppl dun understand never mind. we understand, is enough. Can't agree more. $$ really flow like water fall.

I have bought some "nga koo" and cookies from my mom... Have not decorate house, buy mandarin oranges, drinks, etc... Also have not change money for ang pow... Seems like24 hrs a day also not enough....

How come you bought cookies and nga koo from mum?

I thought mummy dear get free...

Ah, this reflect econ really no good until mum hv to sell stuffs to daughter... :biggrin: just kidding

Ppl dun understand never mind. we understand, is enough. Can't agree more. $$ really flow like water fall.

How come you bought cookies and nga koo from mum?

I thought mummy dear get free...

Ah, this reflect econ really no good until mum hv to sell stuffs to daughter... :biggrin: just kidding

Oh... She do small biz for CNY.. I think biz is biz and mom/daughter is another thing... If i have to buy outside from somebody else.. I might as well as buy from my mom... Buy outside "tau kong kam lieu"....

Capricorn, yup, slicer like that. I don't dry under the sun - dry with paper towel (just arrange on paper towel and stack) is good enough. Salt in the oil, that way the nga koo still retain its sweetness. If you sprinkle salt after frying, you might sprinkle too much and it'll be too salty.

We dont sprinkle salt cos the fried nga ku already tasted nice without anything on them. Sprinkling salt on them makes them too salty. We also slice using this slicer..my mom's good at it now..must slice very fast at 1 go and dont stop. That way your nga ku comes out in thin slices, if you slice too slow..they come out too thick. Not nice.

Eh..this thread is slowly turning into culinary thread.

We dont sprinkle salt cos the fried nga ku already tasted nice without anything on them. Sprinkling salt on them makes them too salty. We also slice using this slicer..my mom's good at it now..must slice very fast at 1 go and dont stop. That way your nga ku comes out in thin slices, if you slice too slow..they come out too thick. Not nice.

Eh..this thread is slowly turning into culinary thread.

No worry! I keep the thread on path. :wink:

Yesterday morning I bought

1.a tin of kuih kapit

2.bee comb (kind of biscuit)

3.pineapple tart

4.peanut cookies

5.3 pots of red,purple and white flowers because I hv 'botakkan' my 2 pot of lime trees

6.a packet of chicken floss

7.2 packets of rose buds

8.2 packet of red dates

9.1 packet of oyster

10.2 packet of boxtron seeds

some are not CNY related food.

Miss out, is 'nga kho' Forget about frying? Since so time consuming. :wacko3: