steelfish

Homemade dishes/ cookies/ cakes for CNY

Hi all,

Since new year is around the corner.. Feel free to share types of homemade dishes/ cookies/ cakes for CNY. Hope to hear from all of you here. I was bored and lack of idea cos every year seems to be the same dishes, cakes and cookies. Thinking of something new for this coming new year.

Wishing you all Happy Prosperous New Year!!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

akeke.....so fast new year fever d......i wanna make cookie n cookies n cookies....but no time lah.....c this weekend got time or not la.....

Hehehee.. ya lor.. about 10 more days to go.. headache to think of dishes for reunion dinner, cakes and biscuits.. my mum always want to be helper instead of chef.. cos she said bored every year cook almost same dishes.. then i have to crack my head.. asked here and there for recipes..

Kekekeke...I'll only go beli the barang for CNY this weekend (prawns, fish, pistachio, etc) because am away from home so small celebration. Feel like making bak kwa oso but dunno la (already cooking all the dishes PLUS cookies). See how - will probably spread it out. Was thinking of making some pineapple tarts this weekend but HB doesn't like them so might do something else macam chocolate chip cookies or something. :)

Mei,

pineapple tarts = really troublesome. especially when you need to make your own pineapple filling.

i'll only start baking on 24th. hopefully i have enough time. school ends on 23rd, need to rush back to my hometown, sigh.

thought of baking oat cookies, tiramisu, and some cupcake pops. my attempt of indonesian layer cake failed. not going to bake that again, took me 4 hours for a tray of failures.

For me, I'm used to it because mum and I make our pineapple tarts from scratch - jam and all. We tried buying the jam before but it wasn't very nice so we went back to making our own jams.

I might reconsider doing the tarts - maybe just buy a very small pineapple...but see how la. Have other things to worry about now, unfortunately. :angry:

I am thinking of bake a cake this weekend see how. If jadi then can bake more next weekend. This few days started to fry prawn crackers and chicken floss roll after dinner. Or else not enough time d.. sigh..tired but got cny mood so still can do ah.. hahaa..

Mei,

pineapple tarts = really troublesome. especially when you need to make your own pineapple filling.

i'll only start baking on 24th. hopefully i have enough time. school ends on 23rd, need to rush back to my hometown, sigh.

thought of baking oat cookies, tiramisu, and some cupcake pops. my attempt of indonesian layer cake failed. not going to bake that again, took me 4 hours for a tray of failures.

Hi Jaunty_Niel,

Can i know what's the different normal layer cake and indonesian layer cake? Mind to share how you meant failure? Cos i'm going to bake a layer cake this weekends after a few years stop baking.. due to LAZY :wacko: ... If possible i will to try avoid anything that leads to failure lo..

steelfish,

i failed because i did not let the top of the layers to turn brown. once it strikes 10minutes, i apply pressure and put on another layer. it's suppose to look burnt so that from the sides you can see obvious layers. i followed the recipe but the mixed spice was not enough although i added 3x the amount. i used an old small oven and that's why you can see, the heat is not properly spread although i've covered the cake tin with aluminium foil. taste wise it was okay, its just the look. looks like butter cake eh?

dsc00908fd0.jpg

the reason that turns me off making pinepple tarts is when i look at the recipe, it says 20 pineapples -_-"

even 10 pineapples would be really troublesome already.

steelfish,

i failed because i did not let the top of the layers to turn brown. once it strikes 10minutes, i apply pressure and put on another layer. it's suppose to look burnt so that from the sides you can see obvious layers. i followed the recipe but the mixed spice was not enough although i added 3x the amount. i used an old small oven and that's why you can see, the heat is not properly spread although i've covered the cake tin with aluminium foil. taste wise it was okay, its just the look. looks like butter cake eh?

dsc00908fd0.jpg

the reason that turns me off making pinepple tarts is when i look at the recipe, it says 20 pineapples -_-"

even 10 pineapples would be really troublesome already.

Hi Jauntie_Niel,

Thanks for the information. Actually it's still not too bad la.. can still see the layer only not brown enough. This type of layer cake really need to put much of effort... the layer is thin and need to bake layer by layer.. i guess i will not dare to try it.. cos take too long lor..

Yeah.. the jam.. i remember last time my dad did once orange jam.. wah.. really spend whole day... :lol:

niel,

maybe you can try to steam the kek lapis? My recipe is to steam then for last year, after 10 minutes steam will need to bake for another 10 -15 minutes to make it dry.

I will start the baking on 22nd to 23rd, 24th stop baking then last baking is on 25th.

This year we are going to eat out again (that's why I can bake on CNY's eve, otherwise need to help my mum to prepare the food), kesian my mum la, don't want her too busy and tired. And I had bought a bottle of red wine for the dinner, alto myself don't drink wine :P well just to have the mood ba :lol:

niel,

maybe you can try to steam the kek lapis? My recipe is to steam then for last year, after 10 minutes steam will need to bake for another 10 -15 minutes to make it dry.

I will start the baking on 22nd to 23rd, 24th stop baking then last baking is on 25th.

This year we are going to eat out again (that's why I can bake on CNY's eve, otherwise need to help my mum to prepare the food), kesian my mum la, don't want her too busy and tired. And I had bought a bottle of red wine for the dinner, alto myself don't drink wine :P well just to have the mood ba :lol:

Hi Ling,

Can share with me the recipe? I only have 'kek lapis bumi' which is layer with pandan and coffee. I've lost my recipe book since move to new house. :sad: So i got one from my friend...

20 pineapples? Apa pineapples they guna la???? Usually I just use one or two and that gives me jam for next year's tarts oso!!!!! XD

20 pineapples would make probably 5 kgs of jam? and the amount of sugar, forgot to jot it down. saw it in a blog, and the blogger even stated that she's using only 10 pineapples instead of 20. so when mabel mentioned that she wants to make pineapple tarts, i was like... boleh ka? stir until hand also patah oh. i think they might need to use those wok for kenduri one haha..

:lol:

5 kg is ok if you're making to sell but for those of us who make for just CNY, two pineapples is more than enough. In fact, you'll even have some leftover. :P

then maybe i'll give it a try. no more kueh kapit this year. my mom complaint that we only ate 1 tin on that day, eating up those freshly mades, and forgot about the ones in the tin. left it there for like 3 months -_-"

i think i'll try 2 pineapples first..

I'd love to make kueh kapit! We always make about one kati or so and keep a few for ourselves and give the rest to my bro, my granduncle (whom we are very close to) and I'd belanja my colleagues sometimes. It's always never enough. LOL! Unfortunately over here, kind of difficult to make considering that it's super cold... :P

Mabel,

are things expensive over there? like charcoal, moulds, ... it'd be a good idea to make kueh kapit over there if the weather is not too bad. at least you won't be feeling like you're burning back in Malaysia. how about doing something lighter? like kueh bahulu. *drooling*

Mom just called and told me no more kueh kapit this year again. i'm wondering where can i get bahulu moulds. do they sell these moulds in tesco?

steelfish,

I think I shared it once at another thread. Now the recipe is not in this PC, my previous hard-disk still with ITS dept.

Hi Ling,

It's ok then, I try search. If possible, when you have it only you pm me ya.. Thanks! :smile:

You can find charcoal but moulds? Only in M'sia and just before CNY, I'm afraid. If I were to make them here in Switzerland, I'd use my mum's moulds. Hers are seasoned well and at least 30 years old. It's like a family heirloom already and we even have an agreement that if I want them, she'll pass them over to me willingly coz no one else knows how to make them - bro and SIL dun wan to help or learn so it's just me and my HB.