steelfish

Homemade dishes/ cookies/ cakes for CNY

steelfish,

no problem :) please do share the result ya.

I will only start the baking in this coming Thursday. This round I will try something different, and I hope will successful :P so far I have yet see people done it .. haahahha .. an experiment :P

Gals, I have a recipe that make pineapple tarts from canned pineapple. It's much easier. You dun have to stir till ur hand break. See here for the recipe. I have not tried the recipe though. Hope it's not too late if u gals decided to try it out :)

Canned pineapples are an option only if you cannot get pineapples at all. The texture is very different from grated fresh pineapples - not to mention the taste - and there is also more juice which means longer cooking time and a wet jam. If your pineapple is not very ripe, just add more sugar.

I just made some pineapple jam earlier today and will put up a pic soon - I managed to get hold of a very ripe large pineapple so will definitely have some leftover!

steelfish,

no problem :) please do share the result ya.

I will only start the baking in this coming Thursday. This round I will try something different, and I hope will successful :P so far I have yet see people done it .. haahahha .. an experiment :P

Ling, I havent do the cake yet cos has been busy frying chicken floss rolls, seaweed crackers and crab stick.. Sigh, the crab stick macam tak jadi..fry it golden brown then after a while not crispy then fried longer macam hangus.. aiyo.. :ohmy:

steelfish,

these few days were busy with cleaning and baking .. tonight is the last kek lapis! last night kek lapis is a failure! aiks .. ish .. taste nice but can't see the layer clearly.

crab stick for tib-bits or??

steelfish,

these few days were busy with cleaning and baking .. tonight is the last kek lapis! last night kek lapis is a failure! aiks .. ish .. taste nice but can't see the layer clearly.

crab stick for tib-bits or??

Hi BG,

Really sorry for late reply.. I just realised the message when i checked my mails at work..

The crab stick for tib bits.

steelfish,

hehe no problem :) How's your CNY celebration?

Crab stick for tib-bits ah .. I wonder how it looks like, not the normal crab stick right?

Hi Ling,

CNY celebration OK lo.. but this year my house not crowded as previous years.. all my relatives come to stay at my place.. So this year they changed plan, all celebrate in KK. So can say a bit bored lor..

The crab stick can be either into piece like keropok or u can cut it like onion lor.. then fried it will looks like ginger fine cuts.. ehh.. i dunno how to describe well.. Here pasar malam got sell.. not sure whether Kch got or not..

steelfish,

In Kuching it is a wet CNY, rain before CNY until this morning, at least now I can see some sun light and blue sky but no one will know what happen in the afternoon :P

May I ask where do you come from? Sabah? Why don't you also going to KK for CNY? The more the merrier ah :P

So the crab stick just like keropok type ah? mmm .. so far I have not seen any in kch, not even during the CNY visiting :P almost every houses with same food :lol:

steelfish,

In Kuching it is a wet CNY, rain before CNY until this morning, at least now I can see some sun light and blue sky but no one will know what happen in the afternoon :P

May I ask where do you come from? Sabah? Why don't you also going to KK for CNY? The more the merrier ah :P

So the crab stick just like keropok type ah? mmm .. so far I have not seen any in kch, not even during the CNY visiting :P almost every houses with same food :lol:

Ling,

I'm Sarawakian. Normally we celebrate CNY together -- follow grandma.. depends on which uncle's house she wants to go.. so everyone will follow her.. She is our Queen at home.. :lol: Last 3 years we all celebrate in KL but this year Grandma said want celebrate in KK since she was there a few months before CNY. Then my parents bought ticket to KL earlier cos worry last minute price will increase.. Thought they will come again this year.. who knows.. sigh.. no choice lor.. air asia.. cant change lor...

Back to crab stick topic.. the crab stick is roll type.. then we can unroll it and fried.. it will be slices.. some ppl also will fried lotus root which cut into thin slice like 'nga ku' as tid bits..

steelfish,

ahh .. ic ic .. so this year your grandmum wants to celebrate in KK, thus everyone is following her to KK :) well .. regard that as a rest year for you :P

ahh .. that's really something new to me, I have never see that type of tib bits before even the nga ku that everyone is mentioning here .. heehhe cannot find in Kuching :P

steelfish,

ahh .. ic ic .. so this year your grandmum wants to celebrate in KK, thus everyone is following her to KK :) well .. regard that as a rest year for you :P

ahh .. that's really something new to me, I have never see that type of tib bits before even the nga ku that everyone is mentioning here .. heehhe cannot find in Kuching :P

Ling,

'nga ku' is arrow root.. normally in sarawak especially cantonese will cut into piece like potatos then cook with mix vege or with meat. My grandma used to cook like that ah.. I also get to know can be tid bits when i came here.. haha.. My mum is cantonese that's why i know...but my father's side no one know.. cos they are foochow :lol:

Ling,

Yeah.. you should try cos it's nice.. and once you eat, u just cant stop it.. It's like potato chips but taste different.. Some more now should be cheaper cos new year near end d.. that day i saw at Giant RM0.99 per kg..

Be careful when you're choosing ar. :) You don't want to end up with a bag full of cheap rotten, tak boleh guna arrowroot! XD

steelfish & mabel,

hehehe I don't do market shopping, I let HB handles it :P

He should know how to choose ah? I'm hopeless on that :D by the way, I wanna ask the stupid question again, how to prepare nga ku? I saw the method somewhere in the thread, maybe one of you can show me the post again :) thanks thanks.