stpeiyee

Marriage Counsellor

Marriage is the union between 2 persons from different background, character, personality and thinking.

Some of them share the same view on marriage. :lol: Some don't. :(

For those who don't, what they should do? Hours of long talks are not working anymore. Each party refuse to budge n step out of their cocoon to understand how their spouse thinks and feels. Come to this, can professional help be useful? Can things be worked out with the involvement of a marriage counsellor before they really say 'I Do' to separation?

Let's share your opinions and experiences here.

Hi All,

We use to have minute squabble and usually bicker over small things. We are now attending Marriage Councelling Course and it helps us alot.

It's like a "Therapy Session" by a Doctor and we are made to revealed our childhood, culture, bad habits, good habits and family background.

It does give us a good light into things and we are now stronger and more loving than usual.

For those in Singapore: Family Marriage Councelling Ctr

Minnie T. :lol:

agree wif minnie...

it's good to go for those marriage preparation course (MPC) before walking down the aisle - actually way before that is even better!

me & FH went for MPC as part of our religious wedding requirement (catholic lah) n it was an eye opening for FH as he's the 'come wat may n love can conquer all' kind of attitude... but during and after the course, we both realized that it's an uphill task for both parties n need more than just lovey dovey feelings but hard work to keep the whole relationship together thru thick n thin once we are committed to each other.

and it also teaches abt the daily issues couples face in married life, like finance, decision making, family planning, in-law relations, etc. some sharing of experiences between different couples in the group will also help other couples understand more abt issues they have not experienced before; and i believe all are good learning ground.

and as we all know; prevention is better than cure... beta go for some relationship courses to better understand n equip yourselves rather than after the marriage then look for wedding counsellor... a bit too late liao wor... just my 2cents' worth! :)

me too..i need to attend the counselling course from church (which is one of the requirement). it is about 13 chapter which covers habit, conflict, communication, in-laws, finances and of course love. it is an eyes-opener, honestly speaking, not all couple after counselling session will get married. some of them find out the big differences and decided to drop the idea and lead to break up. :P

Gals,

How do/did you you convince your man yo go for counselling??? :lol:

fusionista,

when u say counselling, u mean before marriage or after?

i guess before is a lot more easier... i use my 'religion' to make sure he attend the MPC wif me! hee hee... but after marriage hor, i thk men prefer to sort thgs out between the couple themselves rather than go for counselling lor... EGO mah... later he malu pple say he got marriage problem hv to go see 'lor kun'... :P

purplelilac

are you from DUMC?? :lol:

i am from sib KL, just finished the couselling last week, still lack 1 more chapter which is finances, that one our cousellor said since me and my FH (both very stingy, cautious about money), we will attend that after the wedding. by the way, my counselling course also talk about sex in marriage. ;)

Gals,

How do/did you you convince your man yo go for counselling??? :lol:

well for me, it is a "must" for my church before they asist you to conduct the church wedding. actually, it is very beneficial, we need to work on the workbook before we attend for course (each chapter), as the counsellor is volunteering to give their time and share their experience with us, me and my FH is really very grateful for that and it is really free of charge, people just meant to be good for the couple and their future family. :lol:

I did go through it when v need one. Marriage counselling. Back to square 1. I decided no more. That's it. I had enuf of everything. I start a new life without him. I feel much better & happy. Life is only once. If force doesnt work, y not separate way. How many years wanna waste on someone doesnt know wat is love & protect u but turns around to hurts / betrayed u? Only times will mend the broken hearts. :)

for protestant christian, marriage counselling is a MUST before walk down the aisle, everything will be counsel before and after marriage live.

Hi,

My sister is staying in Perak, Ipoh and have 4 very clever children as they always top in the class. She married for 20 years but she and brother-in-law always quarrel, situation is getting worst during the last two years.

My brother-in-law is a very smart person but he came from a broken family, he always threatens to divorce my sister and now, my sister is under tremendous stress and sometime even considers commit suicide.

My sister doesn't want to divorce as she still loves the children very much. She believes a broken family will have a very bad impact to the future of her children. I tend to agree with her and called for a discussion with my brother-in-law and sister recently, I let them raise all the unhappiness and advice them serious impact to their children if they divorce. The good thing is they both still hope to keep the family in-tact and the next step for me is to find a good marriage counselor for them.

Would you pls help to recommend some good marriage counselors to me? Thank you.

Anthony

anthony,

perhaps u can approach the church community as the pastors usually provide counselling services.

threats will not work in a marriage, coz it drives ppl off and it hurts too. i m of the opinion that your bro-in-law need a shack up in order to know that he has been hurting ur sis badly.