keka

No Shark Fin at Wedding ok ma?

Just wanna know everyone's opinion?

Because I decided not to have sharkfin in the menu of my wedding day.

But PIL & even my own parent were complaining, saying without sharkfin it doesnt look like a wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9URyArM_bs

Anyone has any idea how to replace a sharkfin soup in the wedding menu?

For mine the hotel let me choose from Shark Fin Soup, or Five Treasures Duck Soup or Braised Fish Maw Soup with Crab Meat and Roe.

keka,

It is not wrong at all to replace shark fin soup with other soup. I do not support shark killing just for their fins. So, I replace my wedding day menu (shark fin) with Seong Tong (some kind of high grade soup). Initially my in-laws disagree, worry what guests will think. I responded, "Guests come to wish for our happiness and celebrate with us OR come to eat shark fin to justify their ang pow to us?". At the end, the soup was great.. and was the highlight of all 8 course menu. All guests said this soup is better than shark fin (which is common). That makes my in-laws happy :lol: .

So, if your hotel or restaurant have their "chiu pai" soup... then go for it! All the best ya..

So I guess its common now that most ppl doesnt practice serving of sharkfin at wedding dinner.

I guess I will stick to my wish of not serving sharkfin during wedding dinner. Consider 1 table can save a shark, at less can do something good for the enviroment rather than succumb to some traditional 'saving face' mentality.

hmm.. but would any of the relatives think its not 'nice' ?

Some how most ppl associate sharkfin as glamorous item.

I tried to negotiate with my family yesterday, most of them still feel they want the sharkfin on the menu?

Anyone know how to convince them?

keka,

we didnt have sharksfin soup for our wedding dinner too. i found it cruel! we didnt even want the roasted piglet (so cham la) but FIL protested. he said no sharksfin & no roasted piglet is like poor people banquet. end up we relented with the roasted piglet but not sharksfin soup. didnt hear any negative comments after that (or maybe i didnt hear :p). we replaced the sharksfin soup with "fish lips soup".

I find it cruel and wanna do apart in saving the sharks from extinction.

I think sharkfin are tasteless & with no nutritious value, just the soup which make it all special.

Since on other occation the best i did was not to eat sharkfin, but at my wedding i could play a bigger part by preventing the sharkfin being serve as part of the menu for more than a dozen tables.

I know its silly to think that, since majority of ppl might said regardless you eat it or not the sharkfin will still be in the kitchen.

But as the saying goes, "When the Demand Stop, the Killing Will Stop too" .

So I hope I could do a small part in saving the sharks. Which is why I doesnt want the sharkfin to be serve.

But than, many other older generation ppl doesnt share the same thought.

I do not want my marriage to start on a wrong footing, and definately doesnt wanna go to war with my IL about sharks.

So i hope someone here could give some advice on how to negotiate them out of not serving sharkfin on that day.

Anyway to convince them?

janice...the mother nature food chain is such that there has to be a balance of killing and living beings. if all the animal population in the world are not controlled...there'll be terrible consequences. Piglets are slaughtered daily...just like chickens, ducks, cows, deers etc..and it is nothing new to human civilization.

I do feel for these animals but they are still part of the food chain for us anyhow you put it. We can ask God Himself why He created these things for our consumption when we see Him one day...cos I also dont know why it is like that.

I do not condone killing of Sharks for their fins. Imagine....these sharks had to suffer the agony and torture of having their fins cut off while they are still alive! How'd you feel if someone takes an axe and chop off your arm while you are awake?? That is what these barbarians do to these poor sharks.

So by not having shark fin soup in your wedding....you are essentially supporting the cry for 'no more killing sharks' around the world. Good for you, girl! I'm with you.

Janice ,

Nothing is wrong if u have no sharkfin ........ I am sure there are alot of ppl will understand ........ And also agreed on what Amanda Angels wrote .........

I am with u too .................. Janice

keka,

ur parents or ILaws not agreed to take away the sharkfin soup because they worried the guest will

said that they are stingy or etc.. if that's the main reason.. then maybe u can suggest that to replace

with other things at the same cost as sharkfin soup. maybe can have seafood treasure soup where

there is sea cucumber/abalone/scallops or etc in it...

or replace the shark fin soup with vegetarian sharkfin soup... seriously.. i'm too stupid to differentiate

from between both... hehehhehe like u said... the most important is the taste of the soup that matters..

i'm not sure this will be a good ideas or not but...

maybe can put 5 mins of documentary show... to educate ppl that eating sharkfin is as good as

killing them?

so that ur guests will understand ur good intention

Aiii... just sad la. These shark fin soup = grand and jaga air muka ... just so sad. Then why not serve "buddha jump over the wall" soup = double grand? Since old folks also said it's once in a life time thingy, might as well give the best and serve the most expensive soup? I just hope all these sad mentality will go, replaced with modern and informative generation.

The older generation should also respect the couple's decision also la. I'm sure we have been very very accomodating on other matters rite? So what if guests "complain" no shark fin? If relatives complain, this is the good oppurtunity to "educate" them. Just ask them what is the problem with no shark fin soup. See how they answer. I guess the message will be stronger if it is your parents that educate them. Sometimes it doesn't struck in their mind, until you ask them back.

Can't entirely blame these people la ... they dun watch National Geography or Discovery Channel. They think kill sharks is like killing chicken easily. Not knowing we can't breed sharks while chicken is everywhere! So many wedding... so many sharks get killed alive! :sad:

Soups with sea cucumber, scallops and chinese herbs tastes so much better and good for health too .... better than shark fin soup, ZERO VALUE !!

hi,

mine we didn't opt for sharkfin soup... we change to "si bao tang" and at the end of the dinner mostly the guest said the soup is very tasty :lol: but to some elders they still prefer sharkfins soup cos to them serves sharkfin soups barulah macam wedding dinner :dash2: hahaha

Just wanna know everyone's opinion?

Because I decided not to have sharkfin in the menu of my wedding day.

But PIL & even my own parent were complaining, saying without sharkfin it doesnt look like a wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9URyArM_bs

Anyone has any idea how to replace a sharkfin soup in the wedding menu?

Hihi..

Actually, I agree with keka.. I din wan sharkfin's soup too... ut my mum said that we muz have that in ord to look nice... and juz to share with all of u, according to my mum, the elders will also judge if u r generous enough by looking at the fish that u serve... that's why i have a big problem with that.. Bcos Mutiara Hotel is charging me an extra RM130 for an exchange of sea bass to promfrets... I think that's an exhorbitant price.. and they refused to lower the price.. Haizzz....

Yeah man, no sharks fin soup! But anyways, i think most of the sharks fin soup has very very little sharks fin in them cuz they are really expensive. Mostly probably mixed with other stuff.

But best is just don't serve it, like what the posters said above, they sharks are stripped of their fins and placed back into the water to slowly bleed to death, how sad...

I really wouldn't care what people think of my wedding dinner menu so long as I like it.

In fact, when my brother had his AD dinner many years ago, my mum wanted to have sharks' fin because of this insane and stupid idea that 1) wedding dinners are incomplete without it and 2) people will talk and say that we are cheap. I made her watch a documentary on how people harvest sharks' fin and that even buying fake sharks' fin encourages the harvesting of real fins. After that, I threatened to not show up for the dinner. She replaced the sharks' fin with a sea cucumber and crab soup. :smile:

I had the sharks' fin dish on my AD replaced with a chicken seafood herbal soup which turned out to be one of the best wedding dinner dishes I had (and others had, for that matter). In fact, I received a lot of compliments about the soup! We replaced it because of the said reason above AND more so because my HB's family are angmohs and thus, I didn't want them to have to explain to their children why there was an endangered animal on the menu for the sake of "face".

I'm agreed with you - No shark fin in the menu. I believe that's many person start realize that shark fin is totally useless and should be replaced with other foods.

This couple made their own elegant card for their wedding to thank guests and explain why they're not serving shark's fin.

And yes, you can order their cards (or download them). More information at

http://reality-r-us.blogspot.com/2009/06/n...k-fin-card.html

Also there're some suggestions for alternative soups on this wedding page http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/...html?1233298653

something new but it is good!!

This couple made their own elegant card for their wedding to thank guests and explain why they're not serving shark's fin.

And yes, you can order their cards (or download them). More information at

http://reality-r-us.blogspot.com/2009/06/n...k-fin-card.html

Also there're some suggestions for alternative soups on this wedding page http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/...html?1233298653