SweEtCaNdY

Sleepy & Tired after Obimin & Calcium Pills....? Normal?

Anyone feels tired or sleepy after starting obimin and calcium pills? it's worrying coz I have been consuming them for 3 days and feel drowsy.....is this normal?

Were these given by the doctor? Because if you look carefully, Obimin already has calcium and on top of that you're getting your vit & minerals from food (unless you're starving).

I did a quick search and some sites mention that calcium in any amounts can interfere with absorption of other vitamins, especially iron. Hence why it's better to take calcium in its natural form instead of supplements.

If you're not pregnant, you shouldn't take additional calcium supplements. Just folic acid or prenatal supplements will do.

I am taking Obimin and calcium supplements as well. The dr said that they should be taken separately. Obimin in the morning and calcium at night. He said that calcium suppl. will help me sleep better. Perhaps this is why you are so drowsy?

well..

my gynae prescribe me calcium, acid folic and iron...

all taken the same time ....

but i have been jelak taking all this pills already...

so i'm not sure that the pills causing me feel like nausea or my mind...

but all this while.. i dislike taking at supplements or medicine in the form of pills..

even if i'm headache... i rather stand the pain than to swallow a panadols...

but when come to period pain.. i will took anything that can cure...

hehehe

Hi meiteoh,

Im 12 weeks pregnant now...so my doc just prescribed additional pills i.e. calcium + obimin for me..i had just folic acid during the previos months. prob is when i got all those pills down (which is to eat in the morning after breakfast), i felt drowsy and sleepy...dunno if the hungry feeling caused this or not..i became very hungry recently...but my appetite still low :(

fluene,

ohh..then i better check with my gynae...coz i have to eat 2 calcium tablets at a go...and it amounts to 600mg supplies that i need daily..the rest of 600mg need to absorb from food/drink. The tiredness can make me sleep the whole day...and it's affecting my work... :angry:

aishiteru,

i also hate taking those bulky pills...and seriously i felt nausea after getting them down.....i have to use a few good half an hour to get them down :(

anyway, i hope it's just temporary...coz im very worry...as no other preggy frens told me they have had any prob with these pills...if needed, i need to consult my gynae again. Thanks to all of your advice ya! Cheers

sweetcandy,

have u try 1 day didnt take any of this pills?

coz sometimes feeling sleepy is also one of the pregnancy symptoms.

thanks, aishiteru...i havent tried skipping the pills though as i thought it may be essential at this point for me...anyway, im worry mainly becoz like many others....the fatigue and sleepy shd have gone away at this stage...and yet im more tired and drowsy than before...sigh

Chances are it's your hormones...but do watch out because calcium interferes with absorption of iron and when you have low iron, you tend to feel tired and sleepy all the time. :)

I think I'm just about the only weird one around who isn't on supplements. :lol:

Chances are it's your hormones...but do watch out because calcium interferes with absorption of iron and when you have low iron, you tend to feel tired and sleepy all the time. :)

I think I'm just about the only weird one around who isn't on supplements. :lol:

Thanks, mei teoh...i think u are right...coz 2 years back when i tried to donate blood, the nurse said i am having low iron..so cant donate...

what can i do abt this? iron tablets will help?

Well, I think you should see the doctor and talk to him about your medical history before taking anything. I wouldn't simply recommending taking iron tablets without his knowledge because too much iron can worsen constipation problems in pregnant women.

Sweetcandy, better ask doctor be4 u take anything extra... doctors usually recommend acid folic, calcium and obimin only... nothing extra... even vit c also no need... take oranges enuff... :) drink soya bean with less sugar for protein and etc... take good care ya... and drink more fresh milk...

Anyone feels tired or sleepy after starting obimin and calcium pills? it's worrying coz I have been consuming them for 3 days and feel drowsy.....is this normal?

sweetcandy,.... I tak silap baca? it is you :) CONGRATULATIONS!

How many weeks are you now? If you are in the 1st term (within first 12 weeks), feel tired and sleepy is normal :)

Thanks again mei teoh..i will consult my doc on the matter again. Im too exhausted sometimes and I occasionally get headache...all these symptoms are worrying...

babysiew,

exactly...doc only prescribed obimin, calcium tablets and folic acid (until i finished the remaining)...i am trying to drink milk consume those food that rich of calcium...but my appetite just isnt there...and i lost 3 to 4 kgs ever since i got pregnant...thanks for ur tips...i hope i'll get better later

hey coffee,

thanks! im going into Week 13 this week:) but my worry is more to like im getting MORE tired and sleepy lately than the previous weeks...esp after the new prescribed tablets..im not sure what's going on...as my next visit will be in late March..i think i cant wait till then.....it's tough being mummy, i guess...

Thanks again mei teoh..i will consult my doc on the matter again. Im too exhausted sometimes and I occasionally get headache...all these symptoms are worrying...

babysiew,

exactly...doc only prescribed obimin, calcium tablets and folic acid (until i finished the remaining)...i am trying to drink milk consume those food that rich of calcium...but my appetite just isnt there...and i lost 3 to 4 kgs ever since i got pregnant...thanks for ur tips...i hope i'll get better later

hey coffee,

thanks! im going into Week 13 this week:) but my worry is more to like im getting MORE tired and sleepy lately than the previous weeks...esp after the new prescribed tablets..im not sure what's going on...as my next visit will be in late March..i think i cant wait till then.....it's tough being mummy, i guess...

I am taking Obimin and calcium supplements as well. The dr said that they should be taken separately. Obimin in the morning and calcium at night. He said that calcium suppl. will help me sleep better. Perhaps this is why you are so drowsy?

fluene,

I also very surprise found that you are mum-to=be soon..sorry ..am very "sam bah"-hutan.... :)

congrats! you are no longer have to envy the mummy anymore.

sweetcandy...

which gynae do you visiting? If you have any question, perhaps you can book early appointment instead of wait until end of March?

Actually, I asked my doc and she said that in the first trimester and sometimes the early second trimester, it's normal to lose weight because 1) your metabolic rate has increased and 2) your morning sickness is affecting your diet or appetite. The myth that one will put on weight automatically is just that - a myth. In my first trimester, I only gained like 1.5kg and in fact, that was from the 9th week onwards. Before that I lost two kilos from lack of appetite and food poisoning!!!!

Like I mentioned on the other thread, docs here in Switzerland don't believe in prescribing supplements unless you really need it or am starving. The assumption here is that you have a balanced diet and have access to healthy food unlike poverty- or hunger-stricken countries. Angie has a point - it's better to get your vitamins and minerals from a natural source (iron from red meat, calcium from dairy products, protein from meat/tofu/beans, etc) because these sources provide your body with easily absorbable vitamins and nutrients compared to synthetic versions which the body may not absorb easily and end up in other bodily waste like urine.

well..

my gynae prescribe me calcium, acid folic and iron...

all taken the same time ....

but i have been jelak taking all this pills already...

so i'm not sure that the pills causing me feel like nausea or my mind...

but all this while.. i dislike taking at supplements or medicine in the form of pills..

even if i'm headache... i rather stand the pain than to swallow a panadols...

but when come to period pain.. i will took anything that can cure...

hehehe

Hi aishiteru, if u dislike taking so many pills, u should consider Obimin or Obimin Pluz..its its an antanatal multivitamin.only once a day compared to so many pill u r taking...

Hi Sweetcandy, just to share with you. I only took Obimin throughout my pregnancy and post-natal. Obimin oledi contain folic asid, iron, calsium and other vitamin. Maybe im healthly so doctor didn't ask me to take additional supplement. I didn't feel sleepy after take Obimin. Maybe is just ur hormone change? Some of my friends always need to nap during office hours when they pregnant. Don't worry too much.

fluene,

I also very surprise found that you are mum-to=be soon..sorry ..am very "sam bah"-hutan.... :)

congrats! you are no longer have to envy the mummy anymore.

Thanks coffee! DIdin't see you around for a long time

Hi all,

I just had my blood test last Wednesday. Im at Week 16 now...today, the nurse called me, told me to take iron tablets one in the morning and one at night..said i got low hemoglobin...but i dunno wat's the count like..if it's far below the normal or what..? This is worrying...when i asked shd i go visit the doc, she said no need... just follow the appt as scheduled next month.

can someone advise if the danger of having low hemoglobin during pregnancy? is this normal during pregnancy? :wacko:

Hb count is consider low if it less than 11.my hb count decreased from 16 to 10.8 on my 16weeks check up..the nurse say it's normal to drop but i should keep the hb count above 11.so rite now i need to take iron pill,folic acid,vit.c and vit bcomplex.banyak tu added with my thyroxin pill(i've remove my thyroid i must to take the thyroxin hormon all my life) huh boring la.

the spinach advise is same with the nurse advise and must eat otherfood with iron suply.

Dun worry too much... If it's really super low, I am sure Doc will want you to see him/her immediately.

In my entire life, my hb count is on the low side with my usual reading is 10.5 to 11 even during pregnancy. I am in my 27 weeks now. No any significant problem other than slight dizziness on and off. Since obimin already contains iron, my doc did not asked me to take additional iron pill.

eat more green veggies (spinach, broccoli), red meat (beef), pulses (lentils). eating food high in vitamic c at the same time will help your body to absorp iron (from non meat source) better too.

i had to take iron pills during pregnant cos i will have fainting spells (& it really improved my situation a lot!). if there is a need, then only your doc will prescribed iron supplements cos it will cause constipation (which pregnant women are prone to).