SweEtCaNdY

Sleepy & Tired after Obimin & Calcium Pills....? Normal?

Were these given by the doctor? Because if you look carefully, Obimin already has calcium and on top of that you're getting your vit & minerals from food (unless you're starving).

I did a quick search and some sites mention that calcium in any amounts can interfere with absorption of other vitamins, especially iron. Hence why it's better to take calcium in its natural form instead of supplements.

If you're not pregnant, you shouldn't take additional calcium supplements. Just folic acid or prenatal supplements will do.

The most important supplement during pregnancy are iron, folic acid and vitamin C. Iron and folic acid helps you to build more RBC as you will experience physiological anaemia during 2nd trimester oinwards. Vit C help absorption of iron. One myth that many ladies have is they want to take as much as possible the supplement because they think this will make thier baby a superboy or super human (better than others). But frankly just orbimin will be adequate. Calcium according to studies MAY reduce pregnancy induced hypertension. You need to build up your calcium load in the body BEFORE you even get pregnant. Just bthe 9 months supplement of calcium may not be adequate if your calcium load is insufficient to start. Some time more may not mean good, evidence based medicine suggest iron, folic acid and vit C are the most important. The others are optional.

Hi gals,

May I know what is Obimin? I'm 16 weeks pregnant now, so far the doctor only give me folic acid, calcium and iron.

Obimin is a trade name for supplement which consists of Vit A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, niacinamide, calcium, copper and iodine.

If you take iron, folic acid and calcium, that is adequate.

But better to take some Vit C as well to increase absorption of the iron.

Vit C prevents the formation of insoluble and unabsorbable iron compounds and reduction of ferric to ferrous iron, which seems to be a requirement for the uptake of iron into the mucosal cells.

just checking... should we be taking folic acid throughout the pregnancy? i have been taking 5mg folic acid for the first 2 trimesters and i'm now entering my 3rd trimester only i found out actually we don't need folic acid after 1st trimester?

how about you girls?

bearbear,

I took 5mg folic acid as well during my first trimester but my ob/gyn said it's ok to stop taking it after the 1st trimester.

From 2nd trimester onwards, I took pre-natal multivites but folic acid is part of the multivites though it's of a smaller dosage ( ~ 600 microgram ).

It's important to supplement with folic acid a few months prior to conception and in the 1st trimester to reduce the risk of neural tube defects, but I think no harm to continue supplementing it, though I'm not sure about the dosage. From web research, the general recommendation for pregnant ladies is to take folic acid from 400 - 800 micrograms throughout pregnancy.

If you're uncomfortable with the high dosage, you can check with ur ob/gyn about cutting down, perhaps taking it as part of multivites.

I've read that long term high dosage of folic acid can mask B12 deficiency, that's why I checked with my ob/gyn and got the ok to cut down the dosage. :smile:

I called up my gyn to check, and he said there's no harm taking the high dosage though it's not needed because folic acid is water soluble, and it will come out together with urine.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid... :)

Glad to know you cleared this up with your ob/gyn.

Actually to me, no point in taking high dosage of supplements if it's going to be flushed out in the toilet, that's one of the reasons I cut down the dosage. =P

Another reason is, from a holistic point of view, taking supplements is actually hard on the kidney, especially USP isolated supplements, though this is not generally believed by those practicing allopathic ( i.e. Western ) medicine, so I don't take more than the minimum required and wherever possible, I try to take wholefood, cultured supplements ( more bioavailable to the body ) and get the rest from foods, though my diet is far from perfect.

It's natural to be paranoid when we're preggers....we only want the best for our babies. :smile:

:) Yeap you're right. A little thing will just make me very paranoid and worry if I've done anything wrong... :P... Anyway, I was googling about this (though my gynae already told me that it's OK), and i found out that some Singapore gynae actually get their preggie patients to take up to 3 x 5mg folic acid a day for the whole pregnancy... I guess if it's a big No-No, we all would have been warned...

I think I'll just stop taking the 5mg folic acid then... :)

just checking... should we be taking folic acid throughout the pregnancy? i have been taking 5mg folic acid for the first 2 trimesters and i'm now entering my 3rd trimester only i found out actually we don't need folic acid after 1st trimester?

how about you girls?

my doc advised me to con't throughout my pregnancy.

Hi.

Just want to share my experience here. I took folic asid for 1st sem only. After that I took iron and calcium supplement which was prescribe from my 1st gynae. At my fifth month, sometimes i had gum bleeding and cramp. Then when I check with my doc then only I discover that the calcium supplement just contain 300mg which is not enough! Now I have change to Obimin + other calcium supplement which contain 600mg. :lol: . I usually take the supplements after dinner as it is very heaty. Once i took the supplements in the morning and I suffer heaty and sorethroat for the whole day. I did not feel tired after taking the supplements but I felt sleepy after whole day work. :wacko:

I was googling and I found the old thread.

SweetCandy, my condition is like yours. I felt sleepy after taking obimin. I talked to my friend and hubby but they both don't trust me. They said preg woman get tired easily, and my condition is norm. My doctor prescribe me obimin when I first visited him, which I was only 4 weeks preg. I took obimin and folic acid in 1 go.

I am not sure why doctor prescribe obimin so early for me, I guess maybe I am under weight, I am only 45~47kg and my weight keep within the range until today (12th week).

I used to skip taking the pills at alternate day i.e. today obimin, next day folic acid, but it end up I forgot to take both pills -.- I am not keen on taking any pills. After 1 week of practising this, I continue taking 2 pills a day because I keep losing weight, hubby worried about my condition.

I thought of throw away those pills but I can hardly do this because I am a working woman. I have lunch at food market and as we know, we can hardly get minerals- or vits- rich food outside. I cook at home at night but worried if the minerals suffient for both bodies. So, I has no choice but to continue taking the supplement.