Sign in to follow this  
Yvon

Chinese Desserts

I love Chinese soupy desserts like Red Bean soup, Fu Zhuk Yee Mai (barley & bean curd), Mak Zuk (Wheat Porridge) etc etc. Oh, and Tong Yuen too. Anyone has reliable recipe for Mak Zuk by the way? Don't even know where to get the wheat to make it... sob.. :unsure:

The wheat to use for Mak Zuk can be found anywhere, especially in Giant. It's called gandum. :p

How to make? It's quite easy - just boil the wheat in water with pandan leaves and sugar until the wheat is soft (usually it's for two hours or so) and then, add coconut milk to taste. :smile:

I wanted to try before but only I like to eat mak zuk so a bit tedious to make just for one person.

The wheat to use for Mak Zuk can be found anywhere, especially in Giant. It's called gandum. :p

How to make? It's quite easy - just boil the wheat in water with pandan leaves and sugar until the wheat is soft (usually it's for two hours or so) and then, add coconut milk to taste. :smile:

I wanted to try before but only I like to eat mak zuk so a bit tedious to make just for one person.

Haha.. Pardon me for my ignorance :tongue: I read one recipe recently whereby they actually boil the wheat WITH the coconut as well! Do you reckon it'll turn out as good too? I like mak zuk very much too but like you, I'm the only one here interested. i was thinking of making a small pot and savour (until i get fed-up, that is. LOL)

I can't seem to find a picture of the gandum online. All I get is a couple of delicious pics of the tong sui.

ie:

mak-zuk-1-300x225.jpg

I found gandum already :-) Without much searching too. yes, me ignorant. Got it at Carrefour. Will make some soon.

I read that if you boil coconut milk, the fat will separate resulting in a "grainy" texture. But you can always try it and let me know how it goes. :smile:

I read that if you boil coconut milk, the fat will separate resulting in a "grainy" texture. But you can always try it and let me know how it goes. :smile:

Tried my mak chuk. Mom insisted that I MUSTN'T put coconut in for the same reasons as yours. She said, otherwise it'll be like curry, all separated & lumpy. I put a bit too much wheat grains so it was think but good! Used honey sugar blocks instead of ordinary brown sugar. And lots of oandan. I was the only one interested. 2/3 of the pot went to waste :dry: