babyblink

All about breast pumps!

Hi everyone.

I am a first time mommy, due in July 2009. Looking to buy breast pump now since its the sale season. Anyone could recommend me a good one, especially for first time mothers like me? Friends so far recommended the Medela pump (either swing or mini electric plus dual pump) but when I went shopping yesterday, the saleslady told me that the mini electric plus dual pump is very noisy (like a grass mower) and recommended the Ameda pump instead. When I asked around, not many have tried the Ameda pump before and instead Spectra is also recommended.

:rclxub:

I also pening already with different recommendations. You see, I will be going back to work full time after my maternity leave, so I am expecting to be able to pump in the office too. For me, I think a pump which can use a/c or battery would be better in case I am unable to find a power point in the officeplace, then at least I can still fall back to use the battery one.

Please please give some recommendation.

by the way, the saleslady told me that medela's prices will increase next month. Anyone heard of this?

Hi babyblink,

I am currently using Medela Pump in Style (twin pump). Now that you mention it, yea there is a 'noise' but i think i have gotten used to it :lol:

Initially i bought a manual Avent pump but exchanged it for this current one. This one can use both the power point or battery. I would advise that you find out if your office have power point or not first. Using batteries can be very costly in the long run.

One of my fren uses Avent twin pump but finds it too big and tedious to carry to work. Then she bought a single electric pump. For me, this is not too much of an issue.

Before you buy the single electric pump, u better look carefully coz there is a brand that is for OCCASIONAL usage only, not recommended for everyday use.

Hi,

I am Ameda Lactaline pump user. Have been using it for more than two months now. Previously I was using Medela mini electric.

This is a very good and efficient pump. It is very light (around 0.5kg), can use battery or A/C adapter. My EBM have increased around 50% after I switched to this pump.

Another good pump is Spectra 7. My friend's milk supply have increased from 3oz a day to the amount that is sufficient enough to feed her baby exclusively. She pumps exclusively and her baby does not latch on. The disadvantage is spectra 7 is very heavy. Around 2 kg and cannot use battery.

linlin,

Wow.... sounds like ameda and spectra is better than medela. Is it user friendly especially for first time mom like me? i heard that medela pumps are actually very user friendly. I am actually also afraid that I might not be able to produce enough milk too. Also, where did you buy your ameda and how much issit?

puffymama,

Medela pump-in-style is soooooo expensive but I heard really good reviews about it. where did you buy yours and for how much? I was eyeing on the medele mini electric plus (the one that cost about RM699)actually. actually issit necessary to buy a twin pump one? Can I just buy a single pump then take turns pumping? how long does it take to pump milk per session? one of my friend said that when you pump one side, the other side can spray too. issit true?

Hi babyblink,

Medela have a few models that are very good such as swing, PISA and Freestyle that has two phase expression technology. However, they are very expensive.

Ameda and spectra are cheaper, affordable and user-friendly as well. All the breastpump, you can buy it online. In fact you can get a better bargain from local online store.

Yes lin lin

I've heard of the reviews from medela pumps and it is indeed expensive. That's why I am also considering Ameda and Spectra, which the saleslady recommend. She told me that with Ameda and Spectra, many customers commented that they are able to get more milk than when they were using Medela pumps. That's why I am so confused now.

Its like I can get a cheaper pump, yet more efficient?

By the way, does ameda have alot of pieces to assemble?

I think to pump at work...a manual pump works better. You can do it anywhere, and it is not tiring once you get the hang of it. I feel the manual pump is more efficient in terms of emptying the breast. I use the Medela Harmony for this.

As for the medela mini electric, I use that as well at home, and it is not that noisy. It is efficient.

But you don't actually need to buy the pump (to be used in the office) so soon. It would be better to buy it when you are returning to work. BF plans may change and new models may be introduced. Better wait and get the best option at that point in time.

there's both advantage/ disadvantage for manual sinle pump and electric dual pump depending on where and when you wan to express your BM...

- dual pump is good when you start to return to work as pumping time can be reduced by 50%.

- for some ppl, dual pump does increase their BM supply compared to manual pump.

- for dual pump, you hand will not be that tiring pumping BM compared to manual

- cost wise, dual pump is more expensive than manual

- manual pump is good when you do not have the power source to use the electric pump. you can pump basically everywhere you want. ie : toilet, in the car, etc...

- in most case, manual pump is much lighter and easier to carry around.

- some manual pump does a better job in really empty the BM from the breast.

Oh wow... I didn't know that. Seems like manual pump is also quite good. But as what yummymummy said, I think what she said is right, about waiting a while before getting the pump to be use in office so soon since I guess plans might change.

I guess I could consider the option of a manual pump for work or any other place too..

But I would still need to get a pump for home use. So far, Medela seems to be the most popular choice.

babyblink,

There are 3 Medela models that are double pump - Mini Electric Plus, Pump In Style Advanced (Pump In Style is the older model without 2 phase technology) & of course the latest will be Freestyle.

I used to use Medela Mini Electric & that's noisy. Mini Electric Plus is also noisy cos it's same model but double pump only. I have upgraded to PISA & have no regrets. Their 2 phase technology is really good & I get more milk compare to when I was using single pump. PISA is not noisy, it has a hissing sound when using (compare to Mini Electric that sounds like a lawnmover!). I pump at my cubicle & most of the time nobody knows that I am pumping. It can be battery operated & it can be used manually too.

I've used & seen Spectra pump in action & I can say it's very very quiet! I dont like it bcos I feel the suction power is too strong for me & it kinda hurts. I have a friend who changed from Spectra to Ameda & she told me it's more suitable for her too (more milk).

So, which pump is good - it's up to your personal preference. If possible do invest in a good double pump if you intend to breastfeed long term cos single pumping in office takes longer duration then double pumping. I've done that & I am glad I upgraded to double pump.

Try to get a chance to "try" the pump before purchasing cos some shops which carry a few models are willing to let you try. It'll give you an idea how it feels & you can choose better this way.

Good luck!

babylink,

I changed from a manual pump to a twin pump becoz of time and also becoz i have twins. The feeding nurse advise me not to use manual pump coz worry that my milk supply is a lot and also dun have time to pump like other single baby mothers. How much faster it would be, I dont really know coz i havent tried manual or single pump before. But then having twin pumps, can free up my hands a bit after some initial massage. Thats the time that i get to rest a bit :)

When i bought mine, it was on promotion for RM1069 (some where there....). Indeed it is expensive but compared to Avent twin pump, it is not too bad. I did plan to BF for 1 year la. Avent twin pump cost RM1800. My fren bought hers at the ParentHood exhibition for RM1200 only. Quite a bargain for her.

There are pros and cons to all types of pumps so it is up to your preference and lifestyle.

There are mothers who use their bare hands only...manage to get a lot out of it also :lol:

hmmm..... icic...

it seems like actually the major brands breast pumps are actually equally good. I guess you guys are right about it being up to me. I guess I need to find one that I feel comfortable with (which by looking at brand since i've not breastfeed before).

heheheh!!

Nowadays, the pumps are all sooooooooooooooooo expensive and usually those shops are quite reluctant to give anything more than 10% discount!!!!!!!!

Hi babyblink

There's already a few threads on breastpumps, one of which is http://www.malaysiabrides.com/forum/index....l=breast%20pump

I am a Medela PIS user as well. And a previous user of Medela Mini Electric. I can go on raving about the advantages of the PIS. I had let-down difficulty and the Medela 2-phase technology worked really well for me. And i chose a dual pump becoz of sanity sake. can't comment on the other brands since I have never used them before. I have many friends who have used Spectra and Ameda and gave good reviews on them. One cousin used the Avent Isis Manual and succesfully breastfed for over 15 months.

But on the whole, if u choose to breastfeed long term, it's essential to get a good pump, one that promotes and maintains your milk supply. The investment outlay may seem expensive at first, but if you divide it by the no of months u breastfeed, the longer u breastfeed, the cheaper it is. Plus if you intend to breastfeed more than 1 child, ur investment will work out to be even cheaper :)

Good luck.

Hi Babyblink,

Ameda does not have alot of pieces to assemble. However, the parts are very fragile (especially the valves) and it breaks easily. Thus, extra care needs to be taken when cleaning them. Medela parts are more durable.

BaoB, I've had friends who left comments on my blog saying that they never had any problems using it - in fact, they love it! So I think it's more of a personal preference. :smile:

BaoB, I've had friends who left comments on my blog saying that they never had any problems using it - in fact, they love it! So I think it's more of a personal preference. :smile:

Phew !!!! :smile:

Yeah, personal preference, budget, situation, etc.

For me, I'm sticking to Avent manual coz

1) SAHM-semi business woman so mostly at home, don't do much travelling and etc - so will breastfeed more than pump (*keeps fingers crossed*)

2) On budget, budget, budget even though insurance here is subsidizing (need to check with doc though). ^^

3) So far, I've seen only Avent on sale here so unless I order online which can be costly coz of tax and customs, I think I'll stick to Avent.

4) My mum already bought Avent storage bottles and all so I lazy wanna change brands and buy the adapters and etc.

But if you can afford it and you'll be working, I think electric dual pump is the best way to go after reading and recommendations from friends and such. :smile:

Hi,

I'm medela PISA user. My baby is 1 month old by today.... I was pumping exclusively and my baby does not latch on me after his five days of life...Every 3 hours I will pump once, in a day around 7 to 8 times and each time I manage to get minimum 6 onzs and max can be u to 10 onzs..

I've went to look at my friend's medela twin pumps. Though there is a sound, but it isnt exactly very very loud la... I think I will buy that since its quite affordable, reputable and not so fragile.

I found out that all these pumps actually have increased their prices!!!!!!

Hi Babyblink,

Are you getting Medela Mini E plus or PISA? Medela Mini E plus using the same motor as Medela Mini E? My medela mini E spoilt (suction very weak) after 4 months of using. If you plan to breastfeed for a long time, you need to get a heavy duty pump.