babyblink

All about breast pumps!

Hi Babyblink,

Are you getting Medela Mini E plus or PISA? Medela Mini E plus using the same motor as Medela Mini E? My medela mini E spoilt (suction very weak) after 4 months of using. If you plan to breastfeed for a long time, you need to get a heavy duty pump.

actually medela mini E is only meant for short term use...

i bought Avent ISIS Out & About Set(Avent SIS Manual Breast Pump with cooler bag) at Jusco J card memeber day today..

20% discount. After less RM311. Free 2 VIA cup. And also can get RM30 Jusco voucher. So it should RM281.

I chosed the set 1 because the Manual Pump only cost RM219.90 no discount. With additional about RM90++, i ll get the cooler bags, 3 extra airflex feeding bottles(2x9oz and 1 4oz), 4 disposable breast pads, 2 cool pack and 2 VIA cup.

Hi Babyblink,

Are you getting Medela Mini E plus or PISA? Medela Mini E plus using the same motor as Medela Mini E? My medela mini E spoilt (suction very weak) after 4 months of using. If you plan to breastfeed for a long time, you need to get a heavy duty pump.

actually medela mini E is only meant for short term use...

Short term only??? Oh i didnt know that.. My friend is using the Medela Mini E Plus (the double pump one) which i am not sure if its using the same motor as the Medela Mini E. She has been using for the past 6 months, still ok wor.....

The PISA is too expensive ler... I do wish I can afford that though.... Hmm... if like that, would you recommend me to get the Medela Swing instead? But that's not a double pump....

Hi babyblink,

After my mini e suction reduces, I was very near to buying a Medela swing. After doing some research in the internet, for the price I paid for Medela swing, I can buy a heavy duty dual pump like Ameda (RM709.20) that has alot of good reviews. I changed my mine and bought Ameda instead. Since the breastshield is made from polycarbonate materials, I topped up additional RM72 ringgit to get a pair of BPA free polypropelyne breastshields instead to fit to my moms little bottles.

For my mini e, I send back to Medela Distributor in Ampang point for repair before the warranty expire(six month warranty). To my surprise they changed a new motor for me.

If the medela mini e plus warranty period is six months, I don't think it is a durable/heavy duty pump. Usually a good heavy duty pump, their warranty is one year.

my friends buy one of this Spectra 3 breast pump is there comment about this pump???this whole set cost rm660 kinda cheap

Grab this extravaganza starter pack at great savings. This complete set consists of:

- Spectra 3 Breastpump

- Moms Precious Smart pack

- Extra Spectra Breast shield set (for double pumping)

- In-Car Power Inverter and 4 Moms Precious Breastmilk Storage Bottles

(Note: You get a total of 11 breastmilk storage bottles with this set. The in-car power inverter comes in handy since the Spectra 3 breastpump does not have battery option).

my hubby ask me to buy only single pump but for me i better buy double pump.i work as lec,not much travelling.weekend i still can bf n maybe i can go to the nursery to bf if i dun have class.should i buy single or double????can i buy it later when my confinement period almost over??or should i buy now?i'm only 20weeks

dye,

you mentioned you are working as a lecturer & your baby will be in a nursery at your work place (that's what i gathered from what you posted). how are your lecturing hours like? is it fixed? how often are you able to get away to nurse your baby? if you need to pump quite often, i will suggest you to buy a double pump to cut down on pumping time (which is precious for working moms like us).

as for when to buy, it's up to you. buying it BEFORE you give birth have an extra advantage - you can use it to stimulate your breast before your milk comes.

Dye,

Since you have decided to breastfeed anyway, so might as well get the pump before deliver. Under certain circumstances that you are unable to breastfeed the baby directly like baby hospitalize due to jaundice, you can use it to pump out the milk for the baby or to relieve engorgement.

By the way, spectra 3 can be used for dual pumping by buying an additional breastshield. Spectra is a very good and efficient pump but you need electric supply.

janicelly

Just wondering, when you say using the breast pump to stimulate the breast before the milk comes, what does it mean? I mean before we give birth, we can actually use it first?

Hi all,

I am due in next month (mid)

I'm planning to give my baby breast feeding. Have not buy any breast pump yet as afraid just in case i do not have milk supply and purchase the breast pump wil be a waste.

Other wise might get hubby buy the breast pump in the mid of breast feeding...Heard that Avent is good?

janicelly

Just wondering, when you say using the breast pump to stimulate the breast before the milk comes, what does it mean? I mean before we give birth, we can actually use it first?

i'm thinking to ask you the same question janicelly..

From what I read la (Janice is BF mum in practice so could have different input), breast milk doesn't come overnight upon giving birth. It takes a few days from the birth itself for your breasts to be engorged and etc. Sometimes stimulation (with the aid of a breast pump) can help with the let down or flow of milk, which will make it easier for baby to suckle and less painful for some mummies. I read that engorged breasts are like rocks - hard and painful...also, if your baby doesn't drain your breasts fully, you can pump out the remaining to avoid clogged milk ducts and mastitis. So definitely a good idea to get a pump BEFORE you start BF.

babyblink & dye,

I dont mean that you are to use the breastpump BEFORE you give birth. During 1st few days when your milk has not come yet, each time after baby finish a "feed", you can use breastpump to stimulate your breast (for a few minutes). This will help your milk to come in faster. I was advised to do that by midwives in hospital.

What meiteoh posted is true, thats why I personally feel buying a breastpump before giving birth is better.

Hope my explanation clears the air!

Can some suggest me good stimulate breastpump . I think i will get the manual . I think I saw one (dunno what brand ) in Guardian. Wonder they will be good.

The reason i use breast pump is to use it occasionally eg : stimulate breast milk during the first few days or when goin out, need to pump advance .. so that i no need to breastfeed in public

dear all,

Yesterday, I went to Momslittleones' shop which is near Jusco Equine Park. I'm glad I made that trip as I got more insights on Spectra 3 breastpump(BP) and Ameda Lactaline BP. Talking to Sue ( the shop assistant cum breast pump user ) and seeing both pumps helped a lot . For now I know which one is the easier BP, cheap BP, and suitable BP for my needs.

This is what I found:

Spectra 3 BP : Plus points: Easy to assemble. Can be used with Avent wide neck bottles .Just use the Spectra Wide neck converter. Price is cheaper than Ameda. Bad point :Motor pump is bigger & heavier than Ameda. Minimal noice compared to Medela that does sound like mesin potong rumput.( True! ) . Since Spectra is an open system BP, milk can be flowed back to the motor pump. This is because there is no barrier inside the tube to block milk. Not only that, the tube that connects the motor pump to the breastshields MUST be dry all the time. The tube is really small.Not that easy and fast to air dry any water particles that is stucked inside the tube. Thus, for working moms who express at office, this is a hassle. The manufacturer has come up with a small clip to prevent this. But according to Sue, it's effectiveness is still unknown as they just have it recently instore for one month so far. Another thing, Spectra can't be used with batteries. So , need plug points at office all the time. But if expressing in car, can use the in-car-power-converter.

Spectra price is cheaper than Ameda. But when u add up all the service charges that u will pay in the future should milk/water get into the motor pump, then it's like u are paying for Ameda BP . The 1st 6 months from date of purchase : FOC service. But after that, it's about RM50-RM100 per service. Once milk/water gets into the motor pump, the noice will be a bit louder than before.

Ameda : Plus points: It's closed system BP. No milk can flow inside the motorpump during expressing or if u accidently drop the bottle during pumping. Less items to be clean after each milk express session. Motor pump is lighter than Spectra . U can use any bag to store all the BP items. Not like Spectra which is best to use the Mom's Precious Back pack. U can't unplugged the wire from the motor pump. Thus, u need a special bag that have speciall hole behind( near the handles of back pack) to connect it to the plug power point. For working mom, time is precious. How easy & fast when we don't need to take out the motor pump from the back pack. Motor pump's noise is so minimal. Can use the Spectra wide neck converter if moms want to pump into Avent via cups/bottles. Can use batteries if there is no power supply.

Ameda& Spectra bad points: Can't express milk directly into milk storage bags.

Good bargains currently ongoing at these websites : www.thelilcaliph Best & cheap package for Spectra 3 . U can get it for RM400 to RM550. They're having pre anniversary sale only for April 2009. Not much stock left.

www.enjoybreastfeed.com Spectra 3 RM312.80( i checked it last week). This website offers the lowest prices for all breast pumps & accessories. Ameda is only RM709.20( have special redeem) . This is the only website that sell the lowest price for Ameda lactaline BP.

Just a note : I'm a pro breastfeeding mommy. Managed to feed my eldest who will be 4 years old this year on breastmilk for 2 years. My 1st breast pump is the Avent manual single pump. I'm due for my 2nd child delivery this August 2009. That's explain on my quest for my 2nd breast pump. Will be getting for electric double pump as I'm a working mommy. I don't need to use PISA breast pump as I don't have to go outstation oftenly. I tried the Ameda when I went to momslittleones' shop.

Another note : best to get a certified lactations advice on which BP is good and freindly on our precious breasts. BTW, Puan Rita the owner of Momslittleone is one a certified lactations

hope this will answer some of your doubts..

Hi, why not consider a new brand SafetyPlus which is retailing at RM429.00? It is money for value item with dual stage expression technology similiar to Medela high end pump, battery & a/c operated and comes with a carry bag & 2 PP wide neck bottles. Works fine with me, no regret.

The best of all it comes with full silicone cup and does not have extra parts to keep track or replace. The motor is super quite and comes with 12 months warranty...oh forgot to mentioned a/c adapter also 12 months warranty. Closed system so now worry on back flow. Checked the spare part pricelist as well, low maintainance.

Bought it at Babyjaya in Damansara Utama www.babyjaya.com, they having sales right now at 15% discount.

Hi, why not consider a new brand SafetyPlus which is retailing at RM429.00? It is money for value item with dual stage expression technology similiar to Medela high end pump, battery & a/c operated and comes with a carry bag & 2 PP wide neck bottles. Works fine with me, no regret.

The best of all it comes with full silicone cup and does not have extra parts to keep track or replace. The motor is super quite and comes with 12 months warranty...oh forgot to mentioned a/c adapter also 12 months warranty. Closed system so now worry on back flow. Checked the spare part pricelist as well, low maintainance.

Bought it at Babyjaya in Damansara Utama www.babyjaya.com, they having sales right now at 15% discount.

hi..may i know how long you have use this safetyplus breastpump???

dear all,

Yesterday, I went to Momslittleones' shop which is near Jusco Equine Park. I'm glad I made that trip as I got more insights on Spectra 3 breastpump(BP) and Ameda Lactaline BP. Talking to Sue ( the shop assistant cum breast pump user ) and seeing both pumps helped a lot . For now I know which one is the easier BP, cheap BP, and suitable BP for my needs.

This is what I found:

i went to the shop just now at lunch time..and talked to Sue oso and wana checked n see the particles there too..

very nice lady, showing how the BP works.. for first time mummy like me, and 1st time seeing how electrical BP works quite amazed me.. i was thinking by myself "uhh..that's how it works" ..i'm so kampung laa..kakakakakakaka

very nice lady in explaining everything, even when i tell her i am just checking out, not going to buy yet for now..

she told me spectra 3 BP will increase the price to 400++ on April 15th onwards..

islandgal,

dont say like dat la....i also dont know how breastpump works before la...hehe. wait til you pump & show hubby, he'll be even more amazed, kakaka (maybe secretly thanking god he is not a woman lagi).

bought a medela swing today hopefully its a good pump. was thinking to get either avent UNO or medela Swing. bought the swing finally as the SA says there are more parts available for swing in case the pump rosak. and as a bonus, the lady actually told me that the warranty will count from the day i deliver and other extra service will be provided eg cleaning of parts :smile:

bought a medela swing today hopefully its a good pump. was thinking to get either avent UNO or medela Swing. bought the swing finally as the SA says there are more parts available for swing in case the pump rosak. and as a bonus, the lady actually told me that the warranty will count from the day i deliver and other extra service will be provided eg cleaning of parts :smile:

Hi may I know where did you buy your medela swing from and how much did you get it for? I am also thinking of getting the medela swing.. so surveying around now..

finally i bought my Ameda dual breastpump... after 2 weeks using it i noticed that my breastmilk have increased by about 0.5 - 1oz... :P

Hi mhyap1,

Want pump did you use previously? After I changed from mini e to ameda dual pump, my milk supply increased by 10 oz a day.

I just bought a medela harmony as my backup pump. I still find ameda dual pump is too troublesome to bring out.. especially when there's a need to pump in toilet.