babyblink

All about breast pumps!

I have tried using my friend's Avent Manual pump too. I also wonder how to use it. When I pump, I felt the suction is very weak and there is nothing came out. I am considering buying a manual pump for myself, either Avent or Medela Harmony. Which one is a better buy? Can advice please....

Hi,

I am using Avent Manual Pump. Whenever i pump, i always press the handle all the way down to have the full suction. So far so good.

<br />I'm using the Avent manual now, don't worry, it's actually very easy &amp; gentle to use.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi do u mind to share on how to use d pump? Had problem using it.. Thks!

May I know what is your problem using the pump? Is it assembling the pump?

No no.. Not assembly..

When I start pumping, I feel tat not much milk I can pump, but when BB suck, got milk.. So I wonder is it I dunno how to use d pump..

There is a technique to use the pump, you can refer to the manual, that is the rhythm. You should start with quick and short stroke, then when your milk begin to flow, you only need to hold the handle. The actions are mimicking baby's suction, that is to trigger the let down first then the milk will start to flow. Try this again see if it's work for you :smile:

Many people thought it's the pump problem, including myself until I read the manual again and google for the technique.

Hi qarezma,

erm may i know what is "letdown"?

hehe i am a beginner myself.. from my understanding let down is the rush of milk coming out while nursing or pumping... expert mamas pls advice

To get a letdown I usually adjust the pump to mimic my baby's sucking, usually on a higher speed n less suction at first, once letdown occurs, then I reduce speed n increase suction. To get a 2nd letdown using pump, usually I turn the suction lower n increase speed again after massaging for a min or 2. A full pumping session with 2 letdowns using a dual electric pump usually takes me about 30 mins giving me average 5oz.

Any mummies have any tips on shortening pumping session while increasing amount? A friend of mine can produce 6 to 8 oz in 10 to 15 mins *envy*

Qarezma,

Are you using Medela Harmony? I am planning to get one... How do u find it? Good to use?

To get a letdown I usually adjust the pump to mimic my baby's sucking, usually on a higher speed n less suction at first, once letdown occurs, then I reduce speed n increase suction. To get a 2nd letdown using pump, usually I turn the suction lower n increase speed again after massaging for a min or 2. A full pumping session with 2 letdowns using a dual electric pump usually takes me about 30 mins giving me average 5oz.

Any mummies have any tips on shortening pumping session while increasing amount? A friend of mine can produce 6 to 8 oz in 10 to 15 mins *envy*

how do u massage?

Qarezma,

Are you using Medela Harmony? I am planning to get one... How do u find it? Good to use?

so far so good, but it is my first pump anyways :P

Q,

Pumping technique I use is the same as mermyz described. I think u wud have read it on the instructions box. To achieve letdown I normally have a hot Milo drink just before I start pumping. To achieve 1st letdown is rather easy. It will c,ome if u follow the pumping technique described on the box. U will see a sudden gush of milk, that's the 1st letdown. The gush of milk will start to slow down after maybe 5-10mins. I will then massage my breast, downwards towards thenipple part for a few minutes. I will check to see if any leftover milk, some parts of the breasts will still feel hard, thats the leftover milk. Start the same pump technique all over again to get 2nd letdown. I will stop after the 2nd letdown slows down and my breasts are totally soft.

Tandem pumping is another way of achieving faster letdown but for this u will have to master the technique of holding baby with one arm and pump with the other.

Jenn,

I started with Harmony cos I din know whether I will succeed in breastfeeding and I din know if there is a need for a double pump. I use my Harmony for 2weeks and later switched to Ameda cos I was getting more and more milk. I'm letting go of my Harmony. It is still in its original packaging. Let me know if u are interested.

For those that are pumping with single pump but don't want to waste the milk dripping from the other side, you can put an empty bottle under the other side and collect milk while you're pumping. I've seen people collect up to add 1 oz that way.

Hi mummies,

May i know for ameda breastpump, normally which accessories/parts need to standby to prevent any malfunction. ope to hear from u all.

Regards,

JoJa

Hi JoJa,

I stocked only the valves. The last time I used, my valves wear out pretty fast (i need to change them every 2-3 months). That was 1 year ago. I was exclusively pumping for my girl (6x per day) till she was 18 months.

Just want to add about getting an used breast pump. I will never get a used breast pump unless it is a hospital grade type. Please see below message from FDA advice regarding used breast pump.

Should I Buy a Used Breast Pump or Share a Breast Pump?

"You should never buy a used breast pump or share a breast pump.

Only FDA cleared, hospital-grade pumps should be used by more than one person. With the exception of hospital-grade pumps, the FDA considers breast pumps single-use devices. That means that a breast pump should only be used by one woman because there is no way to guarantee the pump can be cleaned and disinfected between uses by different women.The money you may save by buying a used pump is not worth the health risks to you or your baby. Breast pumps that are reused by different mothers can carry infectious diseases, such as HIV or hepatitis.

Buying a used breast pump or sharing a breast pump may be a violation of the manufacturer’s warranty and you may not be able to get help from the manufacturer if you have a problem with the pump."

More info from the following link:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvjunjul04p54.html

Hi Joja,

I agree with Nicole's mum. I used Ameda pump previously and the one thing that needed to change was the valve as it broke fairlyeasily. I remember had to change every 2 months.

Hi,

Just visited Medela service centre at Ampang.

Planning to invest in Medela Pump In Style Advance (PISA) after comparison given by Nurul. According to she Freestyle is good, but the accessories is expansive compare to PISA. Mini E pulak having leakage problem. Feel free to visit them if u would like to know more about Medela.

I agree Medela is the most expansive breast pump among all. I have been survey so many brand.

wow... finally finish reading from pg 1 to 22. tiring..... looks like ameda & madela is highly recommended for those who wish to go for electric breast pump. avent seems better if one opt for manual.. haiz, even after reading the whole thread, still unable to decide on which brand to buy. wanted to go for Medela Freestyle as i will be a working after my confinement. but very pricey ahhhh. 1.5k hvnt include all the accesories. still need to discuss further with hb and plan our budget wisely. hehe. the mth end got Motherhood Expo, will go cc look look first.

Also bump into this web, selling breast pump at much lower price oo

http://susuibu2u.blogspot.com/

Hb said if we were to buy 2 single pump, will they serve as well as buying one double pump? Eg. buy 2 Medela Swing instead of 1 Medela Freestyle.... :D

Pls advise?

wanted to go for Medela Freestyle as i will be a working after my confinement. but very pricey ahhhh. 1.5k hvnt include all the accesories. still need to discuss further with hb and plan our budget wisely. hehe. the mth end got Motherhood Expo, will go cc look look first.

Also bump into this web, selling breast pump at much lower price oo

http://susuibu2u.blogspot.com/

Wow, RM1.5K for FS without accessories is expensive. You can get brand new ones at that price already. Although it may look xpensive, but you can eventually saved more (on formula) if u breastfeed longer, say 1 year. Save money, and good for both mummy, baby and daddy ($$) :D

Oh yeah, I also want to share other website selling affordable breastpumps/accessories. Just need to do some comparisons and choose the cheapest price:

http://www.mybreastpumpshop.com/

http://www.kcdream2u.com/

Hi husling,

Medela freestyle come with preset memory. The default setting is 30 minutes per session. Let's say you lower down the level during the pumping, it will go beyond 30 minutes. Manually, you could change the duration for phase 1 according to your let down time and the suction level plus the pumping duration per session to suit your body. You could also save the setting you prefered using the memory function.

Hi wvmw,

I am letting go my Medela Freestyle BPA-free double breastpump in its original retail box at RM1500 (negotiable) Origin:Switzerland Model, warranty by Lactaequip (Medela Malaysia) and uses 3 pin adapter, (others country adapter provided) hence, does not require any additional traveler adapter. Market price at RM2299.

Condition:

1 year warranty by Lactaequip(Medela Malaysia), Lifetime After Sale Service provided by Lactaequip) used for 1 month during confinement.Bag & cooler bag still unused. Warranty card from Lactaequip still unfilled.

Reason for selling:

Decided to sell off to get some extra cash as baby prefer to latch on direct & got another cheaper pump as gift which could be used for pumping occasionally.

Review:

• The pump is very mobile and the battery can stay for days before you need to recharge it.
  • Like it name said, you can go freestyle, able to walk around and have both of my hand free for anything else.
  • My record: 9.8oz (both side) in a pumping session.
  • With the 2 phase technology, it imitate baby suction pattern and stimulate milk let down. Normally I get let down in less than 1 minute.

NOTE:

Lactaequip is the only authorized Dealer of Medela in Malaysia which distribute Switzerland model. Lactaequip will not provide any warranty and after sale service to medela breast pump which is origin from US and UK model which is about half the price of Switzerland model.

Feel free to email me at hjyeap@gmail.com for further details.

Thank you very much.

Hi Mums,

I need some help here. I was wondering if it would be worth investing in a Medela FS now. I have heard some fabulous reviews on the BP; however the price is steep, hence am a bit hesitant to get one. Moreover, i am now expecting my 3rd baby (i don't plan to have anymore).

Would appreciate some BP recommendations from the mums here. Some background on some of the pumps i have previously purchased:

1st child (6 yrs): Purchased Avent manual pump. Pumped for 6 months - my girl was on e-breast milk for 6 months. Gave up after that due to work commitments (travel) + the amount of time required for every pumping session

2nd child (4 yrs): Purchased Ameda Lactaline dual pump. This time around, i was determined to continue my breastfeeding journey for a longer period. I again pumped exclusively (no direct latch-on) for 18 months. I found this pump very good-light, quiet & able to stimulate my milk letdown fast. Only setback was that they have since changed to BPA-free type & i found the BPA-free breast shields to be softer than my previous one, hence not able to produce the same results. I find the vacuum suction weaker. In fact, when i was still pumping for my 2nd child, they were already transitioning to the BPA free type. I stocked up on whatever non BPA free shileds available. Thank goodness they lasted me till i decided to wean my child off breast milk.

I am now expecting my 3rd child in March & would like to purchase another pump that is equally if not better than my previous Ameda. I would like to try to latch on at night (to save me the trouble of getting up every 3 hours to pump)

Pls. help recommend a suitable BP.

BTW, anyone heard of Rumble Tuff BP? If yes, any experience (good or bad) to share?