strinq

Musicians here?

Just wondering if anyone here plays any instruments profesionally or as a hobby?

I'm a casual guitarists myself and play in uni a little and church.

Always regretted never having the chance to learn the piano when i was younger. Beautiful instrument.

Haha, let your kids learn the piano to a certain age and then let him decide.

All my friends who learnt and quit always say they regret it. And others who were forced to learn and continue learning say they never regret it.

:smile:

I play professionally. So do my Band members. When you have reached a level where you can play just about popular song without any score or books, then you know you are in the professional Musicians' league already.

It's good to start learnig to play when you are young...but there are also some late bloomers who only started learning at age 20+.

I took up piano as a kid but never had the stamina to continue on - I hated the theory and playing according to how I was supposed to play (that is according to my teacher). So I stopped at Grade 3. I continued to play on my own and my sightreading was considered better than most students in my Grade or above.

Then I picked up guitar on my own and played both the piano & guitar for church groups. I stopped playing since moving here - no piano and no guitar (my guitar is actually my dad's - it's as old as I am). My FIL did offer to give me his piano but because we didn't have space here in Switzerland, my SIL is hanging onto it now. I'd love to get back to my instruments but the space is an issue. O'well...

Btw, you don't have to have an instrument per se - your voice is an instrument too! I also sing and have been singing for church plus school since I was a kid - choirs, solos, duets and etc. My last "public" performance was in church. These days, the only performance I give out is to my HB or baby although my HB keeps bugging me to sing more often. :smile:

I play professionally. So do my Band members. When you have reached a level where you can play just about popular song without any score or books, then you know you are in the professional Musicians' league already.

It's good to start learnig to play when you are young...but there are also some late bloomers who only started learning at age 20+.

Oh may I know your bands name?

I play mostly by ear as i can't read music at all. :tongue:

Sight reading does help a whole lot but i know of plenty of musicians including world class ones who can't read sheet music also.

I can't play any instrument cause my hand is wet (sweat) when the sun up and only will be back to normal when sunset..weird right. Hahaha.... I always carry handkerchief everyday, sometimes need to use 3 handkerchief. All the handkerchief is wet end of the day :(

Oh may I know your bands name?

I play mostly by ear as i can't read music at all. :tongue:

Sight reading does help a whole lot but i know of plenty of musicians including world class ones who can't read sheet music also.

Hi String,

Meiteoh, you should continue playing piano and guitar if possible. Life is short, yes? Do what you love to do. A guitar is so small..so you can buy one and plya at home.

I can't play any instrument cause my hand is wet (sweat) when the sun up and only will be back to normal when sunset..weird right. Hahaha.... I always carry handkerchief everyday, sometimes need to use 3 handkerchief. All the handkerchief is wet end of the day :(

Hey, a lot of people have that issue. Its some sort of genetic thing.

My cousin has a bad case of it but good news! Its curable! :smile:

Do see a dermatologist (if i'm not mistaken). There's a simple operation that will help reduce ur sweat.

Hi amanda, may i know which instrument do you play?

Saw some clips at youtube, tight playing :).

Not sure which one is you though haha.

Hi amanda, may i know which instrument do you play?

Saw some clips at youtube, tight playing :).

Not sure which one is you though haha.

HI String. I am the prettiest one lor :wacko3:

Ayoyo, i better not guess, wait i guess salah...die...

You will :sauer2:

And then you will :girl_devil: me until I :wacko3:

Ayoyo, i better not guess, wait i guess salah...die...

You will :sauer2:

And then you will :girl_devil: me until I :wacko3:

I am a nice person. Why would I do that? :cool:

Just look at my thread and you'll know who I am.

Ahhh, saw your thread already.

Hey you're quite pretty haha (better not let my fiancee see this :tongue: ).

But all the best in your career. Will consider your band(s) when my wedding comes along.

Yeah...but unfortunately, with my shop stock, other "toys" (weaving loom, spinning wheel, yarn, fibre) and preparations for a baby...woah, not so much space in a small apartment. HB will kill me if I balik with another toy. :lol:

I learnt electric organ for 6 years but I don't call myself as musician =P can't compared with my nieces who are really talented in it.

As what Mabel said, your voice is an instrument too =) occassionally I will sing in my uni's functions and also my coming AD =D

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a musician :P but I do play the piano. I took classes and exams till Grade 6, but I had to stop coz I moved to KL to further my studies, and the piano was back in my hometown. I wished I had started the piano earlier in life so I could have gone further.

Nevertheless, I play pieces like Marriage D'Amour, Ballade Pour Adeline, Love Story... those types. I do wish I was as good as my sister, she was lucky to have had started lessons earlier in life. She plays contemporary which I cant (hit songs by Rihanna, Kelly Clarkson etc).

I do so love our classic upright Yamaha piano, and now that I happen to back in Malaysia, I love playing the piano. Really can't beat the electric piano we have back in Italy. But as my mum said, I'm lucky to HAVE a piano, although electric in Italy. :lol: Gotta agree to that. Good thing my HB plays the piano too else we wouldnt have one.

I am always mesmerized by people playing piano. Their fingers are like dancing with grace on the keyboard. Having said that, I myself never learn any musical instrument except during std 4 -6 where we had to learn recorder at school. My sis played organ when we were in secondary school and I learned a bit from her. So now I play the keyboard and it is through play by ear method. I did tried to pick up violin for leisure but whenever I play, everyone will start to run off. Hehe!!!

There is a piano at home where no one plays as it belongs to my SIL who has since married and moved to Bintulu. My hb encourage me to pick up piano especially now that I am pregnant and there won't be much gym time or shopping to fill my time.

fluene..you will help your baby develop good senses if you play piano during your pregnency. I know that for a fact as my friend's Mum played a lot of piano when he was in her womb. It was so easy for him to learn instruments when he started as he felt it was natural to him.

Learning piano is the most complete instrument as it trains your left and right brain to work independantly. Geniuses like Einstein uses both sides of his brain. Only non-geniuses use one side..like many of us :dash2:

Arrrggghhh now keep wishing i can play the piano but really no time to learn sigh.

Nvm, force my anak to learn next time lol. Achieve something daddy never got to achieve. :biggrin:

Just make sure that your kid WANTS to learn...my uncle was forced to learn to play the piano by his parents and hated every moment of it. Needless to say, he didn't make it past Grade 2 and his piano came over to me. :/

Just make sure that your kid WANTS to learn...my uncle was forced to learn to play the piano by his parents and hated every moment of it. Needless to say, he didn't make it past Grade 2 and his piano came over to me. :/

I always wonder about this one. I wasn't a keen learner when I was a child. I hated practising the piano, and many a time, I thought of quitting, but just the very thought of my strict mum and the investment my parents made in buying the piano prevented me from quitting. Now that I am an adult, I am very very thankful to my mum for having sent me for lessons.

I am of the opinion that if my child has no interest in the piano, I would most likely do what my mum did, which was to coax and persuade (I wouldnt say she forced me). Is a child wise enough to make his or her own decision as to her best interests? He or she may be resentful for being forced to take up lessons, but as an adult, I am sure she would thank me, no? Of course, that said, my mum is no slave driver or perfectionist ala Vanessa Mae's mum. As long as I practised a couple of times a week, that would suffice.

I HATED going for Mandarin lessons when I was young, and this was something that my mother didn't push me to do. Now, I regret it. Had my mum forced me to learn, I would be fluent in Mandarin now.

Just a thought.

Yeah that's what i mean.

literally all my friends who were forced to learn even when they hated it and 'finished' learning them had absolutely no regrets.

Best example = Jay Chou

Despite I have spent 12 years learning piano since the age of 6 till 18 and completed my Grade 8, I cant play very well as I have stopped playing since then till 2 years ago. I hate having to spend the whole year practising 3-4 pieces for examination. It's really playing for the sake of passing exam. Finally, my parents even gave away my piano when they renovated the house. Oh ya... I used to play keyboard too but nothing beat a piano.. not even a electric piano.

My dearest HB bought me a Yamaha U3 as Xmas present 2 years ago and wanted me to pick up piano again. Now I am play for the fun of it w/o the exam pressure and I will play pop songs and some popular classical pieces - be my HB's jukebox.

bunnywife you sound really rich...hope ur doing your bit in helping orphans and the disabled and the elderly...

Hahaha, joking joking. :tongue: