strinq

Musicians here?

bunnywife you sound really rich...hope ur doing your bit in helping orphans and the disabled and the elderly...

Hahaha, joking joking. :tongue:

U r really wrong ler.. I came from very poor family (used to stay in wooden house till secondary 3) and my parents used to save like hell to give me & my bro the best education and tuition/classes since they are not well educated (primary 6 + form 3 drop out). My dad always joke about he would hv afford a much better life if he does not have both of us. In actual fact, he is very proud to see his final products - in term of education, I hv a master degree while my bro is a PhD fully funded by Aust Govt and in term of career, both of us are doing pretty well.

Charity mah.. I am a constant donor for MAKNA, Kidney foundation, BUDIMAS, UNICEF, etc.. with total contribution in 4 figures per annum not to mention other one-off donation on and off. Donation is good.. help to reduce my taxable income too... :rolleyes: dun wan to benefit IRB.

Haha, last time poor ma but now rich. So i'm sure you know the plight of those people.

:cheers: for your efforts. We need more people in the world who will contribute to others.

Anyways, my dream guitar (s). I use to own one but had to sell it due to financial reasons.

JS1000_BTB_00_05.gif

prsSinglecut_Trem_Mod_large.jpg

Well, I'm of the opinion that children should be allowed to choose for themselves - we give children less credit than they deserve. I don't mean allowing them to do anything as and when they wish BUT to share with them the reasons as to why we think some things are good for them and etc, even if it means just learning an instrument. Ultimately, at the end of the day, they are the ones who will be stuck with the decision and I never want my child to ever think that they never had a choice in the decisions made FOR THEM.

(Maybe it's also because my parents don't believing in forcing me to do stuff that I didn't want - hence I learnt to pick up things like the guitar and other hobbies at leisure or my own time.)

Coaxing and persuading is fine BUT in my uncle's case, he was literally FORCED to learn something he had no interest in. Thus till today, he has absolutely no regrets about giving up learning piano. My granduncle's attitude and his own childhood experience with the instrument turned him off the idea completely.

Also, it's never too late to learn - after all, education, be it musical instrument, languages and etc, is a lifelong process and only ends when one is buried (read: dead). So really, what's there to regret if you're still alive?

True your uncle never had regrets giving it up. But then again, he might have no regrets if he went on to finish learning it. :smile:

That's the point actually, he might have gained something instead (again i must stress that everyone that i know never had regrets learning to play an instrument even when they were forced to learn it as a child). Most people by the time they get a little older, they don't have the desire to learn something new and if they do, they will definately pick it up much much more slowly and most of the time give up. I've seen this countless times cuz i give lessons to a lot of my friends and people younger and older than me.

Haha, last time poor ma but now rich. So i'm sure you know the plight of those people.

:cheers: for your efforts. We need more people in the world who will contribute to others.

Haha.. I am still far away being classified as RICH. Both of us have stable job with decent income - that's all.

Oh ya... BTW the Yamaha U3 is a 2nd hand piano which cost 4 figures only - a brand new one will be closed to RM30k!!!!! After all, I prefer old piano as seasoned piano always sound better !!

Haha.. I am still far away being classified as RICH. Both of us have stable job with decent income - that's all.

Oh ya... BTW the Yamaha U3 is a 2nd hand piano which cost 4 figures only - a brand new one will be closed to RM30k!!!!! After all, I prefer old piano as seasoned piano always sound better !!

Wah lau, buying a 5 figure diamond jewellery is in books classified as rich lol.

Wah lau, buying a 5 figure diamond jewellery is in books classified as rich lol.

Kinda out of topic here.. but that rock is meant to reward myself after a whole year of hardwork in 2007... that's how I motivate myself to work harder..FYI I am working in a super stressful environment. You might not believe but I am actually still working now!!!

Since 2008 wasn't that tough for me so my reward cut by 1/2 lorrr.... hahaha... i got a smaller rock during Degem sales!

That's the thing I'll never understand about most Malaysians - they think that learning stops when you finish school, be it an instrument, language or skill like cooking and etc. Sorry if I offend people but that's what I seem to observe. Every time I encounter someone who is around my age or older and suggest the prospects of learning something new OR do something new, the first thing they go is "it's too difficult" but the thing is that they haven't even tried and those who do give up easily. Practice makes perfect, remember?

Still, there are those out there who preserve onwards be it a language or musical instrument. As for the "never regret being forced", maybe my friends are of a different crowd - the type who doesn't bother about regretting about the things that they should have continued on or done in the past. Even they think it was a lost, they pick it up again and preserve on, not mull about regrets. Life's too short for regrets la. :smile:

Lol girl, us medium income ppl can never afford rocks like that. Trust me, ur in the priviledged club haha.

bro... I have no FAMA (Father-mother) sponsorship, same goes to my HB. Every dollar I have in my pocket is self-made thru hardwork & determination..I m no where near your so-called "priviledged club". I am happy that I can afford to send my parents for good holidays, buy them something good that they never afford back then, helping the unfortunate one, etc.. it's a blessing that we afford to GIVE.

Mei, If I am not pregnant, I would have started my sax class... long to learn sax... Too bad, kena defer lor

Ayoyo, bunnywife, i didn't mean that you were born privileged (I never mentioned that at all...). I understand that you got where you are now by being hardworking etc haha, don't get me wrong.

I'm just saying where you are now is on the privileged side (on the rich side). And by privileged again i don't mean being born with a silver spoon, must have been a misunderstanding. :smile:

You're being very defensive lol. Relax ya, i totally understand about being brought up poor and working hard to do well in life (I'm in that process too).

No worries, bro....

Oh ya... I very very scare when ppl start to think that I born rich and inherit everything from parents/family. There are always people like to tell me "aiyo.. u young fellow and born rich so you wont understand how tough life is all about... blah blah blah...".

In fact I am glad that the old tough life make me a better person and appreciate everything I have.

Bunny, oooooooooooooooo...me love the sax!!!! Clarinet is fine too! Y'know, if it weren't for the fact that we are stingy buggers (read: on a tight budget and space constraints), I'd love to have some sort of musical instrument at home. It'd be nice to make some fine music again.

Mei ah... my HB and mum said NO to sax not till BB is at least 2 years old... noise polution woh... So I just have to stick with my piano for the time being

Mei..a clarient is a fine instrument to have. It's much much smaller than an Alto Sax and you can dismantle it into 4 different parts and store it inside a very small case. I played it during High school days. It is a cheap instument to buy too. Go buy one, ok?

Hi all,

Just wanna share my opinion with all the music lovers here.

I play the piano and I started my music lesson as young as 4 years old. That time my parents registered me for the Yamaha JMC. After graduated from that course, I took up piano lessons. Throughout the whole process, I did try to stop and in fact I lost interest in music when I was about Grade 4. But thankfully my mum forced me to every piano lessons though I would pull a looonggg black face back then. After a while, my interest began to come back and I managed to complete my Grade 8.

Now I am teaching part-time and as my see my students grow up, they are burden with their school work, and slowly they will lose interest in their music. Just like me! :) Therefore, this is the critical time for them. I would call it the 'transition' period. If they managed to pass through this 'testing' time, I am sure they will complete their course. Therefore, do not pressure the kids, and communicate with the teachers. It's good to teach them some music out of the book, eg pop songs and contemporary songs.

Hi all,

Just wanna share my opinion with all the music lovers here.

I play the piano and I started my music lesson as young as 4 years old. That time my parents registered me for the Yamaha JMC. After graduated from that course, I took up piano lessons. Throughout the whole process, I did try to stop and in fact I lost interest in music when I was about Grade 4. But thankfully my mum forced me to every piano lessons though I would pull a looonggg black face back then. After a while, my interest began to come back and I managed to complete my Grade 8.

Now I am teaching part-time and as my see my students grow up, they are burden with their school work, and slowly they will lose interest in their music. Just like me! :) Therefore, this is the critical time for them. I would call it the 'transition' period. If they managed to pass through this 'testing' time, I am sure they will complete their course. Therefore, do not pressure the kids, and communicate with the teachers. It's good to teach them some music out of the book, eg pop songs and contemporary songs.

hi Furbygirl,

that's great to hear that finished your grade 8 and now you are still involved in music! well, i believe most of the ppl in the world prefer to do what they like.. when they are learning something they feel bored (example:some ppl may not like classical) then they will lost interest. so as a teacher u hv to think what kind of music can really make ur students become interest in playing piano again.. pushing and forcing is not a right way i think.. and another important thing is, why they learn music? this one they got to find out.. when they are clear about their reason, they will continue. :)

hi musicians

my piano lesson will be starting on the coming Tuesday, im 100% no experience and have no piano at home.

so i planning to buy one, which is good and cheap :lol: ...

i found one on youtube,Yamaha YDP S30, it an electronic piano, anyone here own 1? and how much for this model?

thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I don't consider myself as a musician but I like music very much. Since I love musics, I have learnt keyboard, guitar, drums & other traditional instruments without proper training center (learnt from friends). I even have composed some songs.

However, none of these can compare to my interest of singing. I didn't go for any classes though, but once in a while, since I was young, I was invited to perform for several functions.

Now all I can use my talents to sing with bunch of friends in karaoke. (crazy guys which often book challenging songs for me to sing for them) And watching American Idols TV show. Guest what? my critics are somehow very accurate with the judges especially Simon. I.E: Fantasia sounds like Donald Duck. All those watching with me agreed that I have a sharp ears & good taste. I also can predict who can win the show.

I know deeply inside my heart, that I have a talent on this. But what else should I do to be not wasting the talent?

Hi all,

I don't consider myself as a musician but I like music very much. Since I love musics, I have learnt keyboard, guitar, drums & other traditional instruments without proper training center (learnt from friends). I even have composed some songs.

However, none of these can compare to my interest of singing. I didn't go for any classes though, but once in a while, since I was young, I was invited to perform for several functions.

Now all I can use my talents to sing with bunch of friends in karaoke. (crazy guys which often book challenging songs for me to sing for them) And watching American Idols TV show. Guest what? my critics are somehow very accurate with the judges especially Simon. I.E: Fantasia sounds like Donald Duck. All those watching with me agreed that I have a sharp ears & good taste. I also can predict who can win the show.

I know deeply inside my heart, that I have a talent on this. But what else should I do to be not wasting the talent?

Hi XiaoMaoMi,

since u have the talent, dont waste it.. keep practice until you become a professional singer one day! gambateh@!

omg furbygal your story is exactly like mine! I started piano lessons at 4, got sick of it at age 12, and threw tantrums if I had to go to class(yeah I know, I was a teenager and wanted to go out like my friends did instead of practicing 3 hours a day!)

I then took a break for a year when I was 14 in which I explored jazz and contemporary music.. because I was in that transition period you mentioned. I was losing interest, and losing it fast. I must say that surprisingly, I did not enjoy it as much as I did classical. So I went back to classical, finished my grade 8 and diploma, and started competing. I was fortunate enough to travel around the world playing in concerts and attending masterclasses.

Unfortunately my story ends there. I finished my Australian Matriculation and had to decide what to do with my life. I felt that throughout my life I had been only immersed in the world of music, and felt rather disconnected from the outside world, so I decided to give up music. I felt something similar to being burnt out. It was probably the hardest decision I had to make - music was my comfort zone, I knew everything and anything about it, and I had the life and opportunities that most musicians would only dream of.

I took up something else at uni, and did not touch a piano for 5 years (and counting). Looking back it still feels a waste though. I admire people like furbygirl for still being able to continue piano in some form even after completing their music education. I wish I could... but oh well...

I tried taking up violin because my current apartment does not allow for a piano, but that didn't last very long - no interest :(

I love piano. I was from moderate family where my parents didn't have spare $$ to send me for piano lesson. I really admire those who can play piano very well.

After graduated and found my job. I have picked up piano by myself and bought a second hand piano. I have been learning for years, yet my finger are still stiff not like those who pick up while they are young. I passed grade 3 practical and grade 5 theory, but I stop grade 6 theory, cause I just don't get it.

With my busy working schedule, I can't practice every single days.

Therefore, till now still can't play very well. I always hope I can play very very well like those ppl. :(

I can play when i'm happy, sad or even angry...at least manage to release those emotion through the nice music...haahh

I love piano. I was from moderate family where my parents didn't have spare $$ to send me for piano lesson. I really admire those who can play piano very well.

After graduated and found my job. I have picked up piano by myself and bought a second hand piano. I have been learning for years, yet my finger are still stiff not like those who pick up while they are young. I passed grade 3 practical and grade 5 theory, but I stop grade 6 theory, cause I just don't get it.

With my busy working schedule, I can't practice every single days.

Therefore, till now still can't play very well. I always hope I can play very very well like those ppl. :(

I can play when i'm happy, sad or even angry...at least manage to release those emotion through the nice music...haahh

Oh berrymellon, please dont stop! You're almost there already. Do you have friends that are good at piano? I mean, instead of sitting for exams (yes, exams suck all time and it's costly and it's boring), ask your teacher/friend to guide you on with chord progression and listening. You'd be able to play just like anybody. It'd definitely be more interesting to be able to play ANY song as you wish. Figure out the chord and the notes BY YOURSELF. Taking exams up to Gr 8 doesnt mean that you can play well. It jsut means that you'd be able to complete that 3 exams pieces when you got into the hotel room, whcih you've been practicing again and again for the past one year. Gosh, imagine all you know is just 3 classical pieces that are meant for examination. Well, this is only applicable when you dont need your certificate. Unless, you wish to have all certs displayed on your wall, that's a different story :p