Sign in to follow this  
ivysweet

Come Participate for Earth Day

I saw a notice that Starbuck willl also support this campaign, there will be 20% off that time.

I wonder can go there & still able to surf net?

Lol i think its not support, its more like taking the opportunity to make money. :tongue:

i also will be joining.. but i will not on my lights for the whole nite.. note even fan or air cond or tv..

hehehehe...

geng ler???

bcos i am going back Pg for cheng beng on sat mrg.. so ma no need on anything lor...

walao, jusco.. like this also can ah?!?!?! :lol:

basically this event is like what gigi said - to create awareness and exposed to people how bad it is for not protecting the earth..... i do participate in this just now (its 03.04am sunday now) but i'm late for 30min coz i fall asleep and wake up at 9.00pm.. haha..

i know msia still not implement this but all the following had been a rules in UK

1) if u dint recycle your recyclable items, you will be fined by the council if they found out. - my friend kena liao..

2) you will be charge for each of the plastic bag if u shopping like 5p which is equivalent to 25sen. Marks and Spencer is one of them. so normally we'll bring our own bag or shoping trolley

3) since its not always warm here so people will tend to walk. this can only be done if the public transport link is excellent and cost of fuel is high.

walao, jusco.. like this also can ah?!?!?! :lol:

basically this event is like what gigi said - to create awareness and exposed to people how bad it is for not protecting the earth..... i do participate in this just now (its 03.04am sunday now) but i'm late for 30min coz i fall asleep and wake up at 9.00pm.. haha..

i know msia still not implement this but all the following had been a rules in UK

1) if u dint recycle your recyclable items, you will be fined by the council if they found out. - my friend kena liao..

2) you will be charge for each of the plastic bag if u shopping like 5p which is equivalent to 25sen. Marks and Spencer is one of them. so normally we'll bring our own bag or shoping trolley

3) since its not always warm here so people will tend to walk. this can only be done if the public transport link is excellent and cost of fuel is high.

4) those electrical company ie. TNB in msia - is offering free energy saving bulbs to encourage people using them to save energy & offered to do roof insulation foc for those houses having bad insulation or old houses to cut down overusing of gas for central heating during winter...

Hey guys so how was it?

I forgot about it for awhile actually and only started at 9pm.

But off till like almost 11 lah (cuz was back at parents home actually and my dad keep wanting to turn the lights back on lol).

Went for a little walk around the taman, nice...

Juv, I didn't exactly go through with this one because while I feel it's great that people are participating, I hope they will continue on and do more - not just do it for one hour and then forget all about it.

Over here, it's like in the UK although the French part is more "tolerant".

1) Recycling is big - from paper to cartons, glass to PET (plastic) and even clothes, electronics and etc. I even recycle HB's coffee powder. :smile:

2) Grocery shops don't provide plastic bags except for wet items like fish, meat and etc. They do have those reinforced paper carriers but you have to pay .85 CHF for one so we bring our own bags.

3) People don't drive coz parking is expensive and there is no point in doing so when the public transport is good. These days, even though we can take the bus, HB and I walk to town mainly for the exercise and bonding. ^^

4) They have energy rating scales for refrigerators, dryers, washing machines and etc.

5) People here monitor their heating and in most homes, the heater is not turned on during the day except when it's very cold and when it is turned on, it's put on timer mode so energy bills are kept to a minimum. Since it's spring, my apartment's central heating has been turned off already. If it's cold, we'll put on more clothes. XD

6) We buy energy saving light bulbs and the only lights we have turned on are when we are in that particular room and it's always the table lamp. Yeah, we have ceiling lights but we never use it. :lol:

Mei, i'm one of them. i'm those forgetful person. have to do things twice. so if i in and out from the room, i'll just walk out and then back again to switch off the light.... :(

yeah, those method is almost the same except that i feel swiss practice this more than english

We don't really do much for the environment.

What we do:

i) Turn off heating before bed and when we're out for a long time (turning it off if we go out for groceries would mean more energy is wasted because the heater will have to work extra hard to make it 20-21 degrees again).

ii) Use energy saving lamps

iii) Re-use grocery bags (one plastic bag is 25 eurocents, the better quality plastic bag is 2 euro each)

iv) Throw glass in separate garbage disposal

v) Return plastic bottles (ie. Coca Cola and so on) but to be honest, we mostly do this because we pay 10-20 cents extra a bottle which you can only get back if you return it la.

vi) Buy only A-grade electronic products but again, this is probably more for ourselves (save money mah) than for the environment.

My Blog

Meringue, don't think that way. That's a whole lot more than other people. :smile: I too sometimes feel that it isn't enough - I'd love to do composting but in an apartment...hm...still am trying to get around it.

As for paper, depending on the size, my gerbils chow down on it like crazy to help wear down their teeth - their toys include small carton boxes (like tissue box, cereal boxes), and toilet rolls. I call them my mini recycling plant. XD

Hey, share with you something. Back in Malaysia, I used to wash my car with a bucket instead of a hose as well as water plants with a watering can instead of hosing it down. My dad is even better. When it rains, he runs out in his old rags (shorts and a singlet) with an umbrella and starts washing the car!!!!

Juv, same here la. Since I got pregnant, I've been getting rather forgetful so much so that sometimes HB will go "OIIIIII, you left the toilet light on la!"

My dad is even better. When it rains, he runs out in his old rags (shorts and a singlet) with an umbrella and starts washing the car!!!!

I did that too once lol. Super fun. Then of course it started to flood... :dash2:

I would love to do composting too but I live in an apartment and I don't think the Dutchman would take too kindly to garbage in the tiny balcony;)

We don't wash the car very often- maybe once every month or two at the carwash. Can't exactly wash it outside as we live in an apartment so we don't have a driveway. It would be a pain (not to mention, exceedingly weird) to bring a bucket downstairs to wash the car in the street haha. Dutch people LOVE bitching about each other. Seriously, you see all these old women peeking through the curtains who are all ready to criticise;) It's not as bad living in an apartment but if you live in a house, you have to open your curtains everyday or people will think you have something to hide. If your garden is a little messy, your neighbour will say something, if you don't paint your house, your neighbour will say bitch about you, if you have like ONE party, be prepared to get at least one bitchy ANONYMOUS letter in your mail the next morning (I hate anonymous letters!! If you have a problem, just say "Could you please be a little softer" or something and I'll turn the radio off or something la!). Luckily, I never got any anonymous letters yet but some of my friends did (I read them and some were really nasty wei) but my cat is a 100% indoor cat because one neighbour came down to say she is allergic to cats (my Dutch friends say not to care and just let the cat roam about as there are cats everywhere in The Netherlands and it is my right to let it out) but I thought aih never mind la.. why make trouble with people living so close by ,kan.. Lagipun, my cat doesn't seem to mind staying inside so whatever la. No hard feelings.

On the whole, I have pretty cool neighbours.

Oops. How did "saving energy" morph to a "neighbours" post;)

My Blog

I am surprised that a lot of residences did switched off their lights during that day over here at the East! Impressive.....

we took part too! asked PIL to go to bed earlier, kakaka. actually they normally go to bed early also but this time a bit extra early. hubby did explained to them the significance & they were cool about it.

Meringue,

I agree with Mabel, no matter how "little" you think did, it's waaaay better then those who dont do anything. We recycle paper, plastic & glass too. Once a month, people from The Lovely Disabled Home will come & collect from our condo. This way,we kill 2 birds with 1 stone - recycle & do charity cos they will sell the stuffs & use the money to fund their home.

Earth Hour is much more publicized in Canada than in the U.S. How this became a "boycott America" campaign is beyond me because not many Americans are actually participating in this. In fact, many cities in Canada are more proactive in recycling that in American and I have lived on both sides of the border. In fact, in Toronto the city provides us with "green bins" whereby you bag all your biodegradable garbage and kitchen waste from egg shells to chicken bones and put them in the green bins. The city then collects these organic wastes and does the composting from us. In the spring, summer and fall, the city then sells bags of compost to the public for a small amount of money so you can use it in your garden or pots of plants.

BTW, turning off your lights is OK but you can go the distance during this 1 hour event and in everyday life to unplug any unused appliances like handphone chargers to conserve even more energy. You can make sure that your home is not drafty by sealing up old windows in the winter time or placing rugs under the doors so that you don't lose heat from your home. Dress appropriately according to the weather, bundle up when you're cold, wear socks and layer up instead of turning up the thermostat. There are plenty of ways we can participate on a personal level without waiting for a big NGO to tell us what to do :)

We turned off the lights too but sorry, not the fan la. It would be too warm and too many mosquitoes if the fan is off. We went out to buy dinner and while on the way back, we are surprise that some really turns their light off but some turn the whole house's light on.

Anyway, we had our dinner with torch light that night, it was quite fun.

Un-intentionally, I was resting at 8.30pm after making the lychee ice cream. I told HB to switch off all the lights, I think just chit-chat for half an hour then zzzzzz ..

In Kuching, 2 hotels are participated there are 4-points hotel and hilton hotel. As for the rest? not too sure =P

Just to share something here.

Last weeks, a little event like this actually initiated me & hubby to collect & bring our old stuff for recycle.

We also started to use canvas bag for shopping at pasar malam, hyper market & complexes.

Despite this effort, some cashiers still like to pack our newly purchased stuff into their plastic bags. They claim that to show the guard that it is paid item. LOL.

Juv, I didn't exactly go through with this one because while I feel it's great that people are participating, I hope they will continue on and do more - not just do it for one hour and then forget all about it.

Over here, it's like in the UK although the French part is more "tolerant".

1) Recycling is big - from paper to cartons, glass to PET (plastic) and even clothes, electronics and etc. I even recycle HB's coffee powder. :smile:

2) Grocery shops don't provide plastic bags except for wet items like fish, meat and etc. They do have those reinforced paper carriers but you have to pay .85 CHF for one so we bring our own bags.

3) People don't drive coz parking is expensive and there is no point in doing so when the public transport is good. These days, even though we can take the bus, HB and I walk to town mainly for the exercise and bonding. ^^

4) They have energy rating scales for refrigerators, dryers, washing machines and etc.

5) People here monitor their heating and in most homes, the heater is not turned on during the day except when it's very cold and when it is turned on, it's put on timer mode so energy bills are kept to a minimum. Since it's spring, my apartment's central heating has been turned off already. If it's cold, we'll put on more clothes. XD

6) We buy energy saving light bulbs and the only lights we have turned on are when we are in that particular room and it's always the table lamp. Yeah, we have ceiling lights but we never use it. :lol:

Its the same thing happening in China now a days, when you go to supermarkets, they don't provide you with any plastic beg anymore and they expect you to bring your own beg for all the goods that you had purchased. When you want the plastic beg, then you will have to pay for it and I think is around RM.50/pc. Which I think it is a very good moved as this will cut down all the unnecessary pollution on our green earth... :biggrin: