honeylee

How do you organise and keep your cooking/baking equipment and ingredients?

Hi,

would like to find out from all gals here, how do u keep all ur equipment and ingredients for cooking/baking? Also for hobbies ie sewing and other handicrafts.

we live in double-story teres house, just me and hubby, and i find i dun have space :wacko3:

hubby is someone that expects me to keep everything out of sight ie things shd all be in cupboard

I use glass bottles/jars to keep all types of flour, sugar and other ingredients.

As for the equpiments and utencils will put it nicely inside the cabinet.

Double-storey terrace house for 2 and yet don't have enuf spaces? ahhhh .. ???

I did the same like BG..

Flours and dry ingredients in tupperware/container..

Baking/cooking utensils in d cabinets..

The wok i left it on the stove since I have 3 burners..

twinklestar,

I do have tupperware but I prefer using glass bottle/jar =P

Our kitchen at new house hasn't set up, so temporary everything still at HB's house.

Once move to new house, I will re-arrange them again and for the wok will keep under the basin, as we will cover the bottom of basin and convert it into a small cabinet. =)

me also keep all ingredients in tupperware/container.

and all equipment will put inside cabinet. :cool:

I had thought of keeping flours in containers but lack of counter space (I have a very very very small kitchen) and the bulk itself makes it impractical for my home and kitchen cabinets.

So I separate them into a couple of places:

1) Mixer and bread machine goes into cupboards - since I use the bread machine more often, it's located next to the rice cooker while the mixer is stored away above the fridge with other "gadgets" and stuff like HB's coffee machine and so forth.

2) The kitchen cabinet is split into two - 1) nuts, dried fruits and condiments like cocoa powder, chocolate chips and baking chocolate bars are stored together with biscuits. I arrange them accordingly and then 2) all the flours, flavouring and others like baking soda and baking powder plus gelatine and kept on another shelf. Most of my flours are in containers - not necessarily tupperware but any container that has a closeable lid is good for me. Note to those who keep wholewheat flour or wholemeal flour. Because of the fat content, it needs to be in somewhere cool otherwise it'll go rancid faster.

3) Spices are kept together with the sauces in a separate place in glass jars - this is a must because they need to be airtight and kept in a dark place in order to outlast flours (at least).

4) Baking paper and stuff are with the aluminium foil, cling wrap and all while measuring cups and spoons are in a container (I used another measuring cup as a holder!).

5) Pans and moulds are kept in our dish buffet outside (it's another cupboard specially for dishes).

6) My cake stuff for icing and cake deco are kept in their own containers elsewhere in the house coz I don't use them anymore so they have been placed in storage.

All items are unlabelled except for the flours in their containers and spices. I label them in three languages - English, Malay and French - just in case I need to buy them here or get my mum to buy them back in KL. :smile:

For small things, like measuring cup, mould...put them in transparent plastic boxes of the same size. and label the box at the side. then put all the boxes on a shelf. Other bigger things, like mixer or scale, i put them back in their own box and store them in store room. When i need them, i just find them in the store room.

thanks gals for all ur input. if can be accompanied with pic will be great :wub:

just wonder if u ever run out of cupboard space? like what mabel say she have a small kitchen. i guess i have a small kitchen too, as i did not do extension to the house. i usually dun keep anything on the counter, as hubby like it empty. on the counter is only my oven. so all my cupboards are already full with pots and pans, dishes, unused tupperwares (for future storing), blender, fruit juicer, food stock (like noodles, flour, rice, milo....) etc etc

guess i will try rachel's method to keep those bigger things like scale in the store so that I have more space in the kitchen. and also the mould etc in a box and store on store room too.

so how about other hobby like sewing or other handicrafts? i plan to buy a sewing machine but dunno where should i put it. The room downstairs we have turned to store room - unused books, things to recycle (cans, plactics, paper), cleaning equipments, luggage bags

2nd room upstairs is for guest, 3rd room we turned to walk in wardrobe so i very pening. have to think of a place to put it before buying.