Sign in to follow this  
fluene

Expansion of Uterus

I wonder how does the expansion of uterus feels like as pregnancy progresses? I have had sharp, stabbing pain at both side of my tummy for 2 days now. The Dr. (not my regular gynae) said that this is due to the uterus expanding as the pregnancy progresses and it is not a cause for concern. This morning, I have the sharp, stabbing pain again at my left side and whenever I sit or walk, the pain is there and I can feel that there is some kind of a mass near my bikini line. Is this what we are going to feel for the rest of the pregnancy? If this kind of pain is not cause for concern, what kind of pain we will have to look out for?

I had sharp pains on my left at the beginning of my prenancy too, once a while, almost everyday in the first trimester. I dont know if it was due to the expansion of the uterus but my doc gave me 2 weeks MC just in case. The pain wasnt excruciating, but it was uncomfortable and I just didnt want to push my luck so I decided to take the doc's advice and rest at home. You're expecting twins right Fluene? Maybe that's why more painful. But if you feel the pain is too much to bear, or u're worried, U should check with your regular doc. Take care yeah.. :smile:

I didn't really have sharp pains in the beginning of my pregnancy - they feel more like dull localized muscle cramps and I used to get them on & off until the end of my first trimester. I read that it's not so much the uterus expanding alone but also because the pelvic muscles are loosening and preparing itself for labour and pregnancy (the hormones will do that to you).

If you're not bleeding or breaking out in muscle cramps regularly (like a period), I don't think you need to be alarmed but if you're worried, why don't you check with your regular doc or seek a second opinion?

As the pregnancy progress, the uterus will definitely expand and the height of the fundus (top of uterus) will move up. This is to help determine the size of the baby (roughly) as well as monitor progression of the pregnancy.

As for how it feels like having a uterus expand and such, well, to be honest, I didn't feel like I was pregnant until my 12th week when my belly started showing. From then onwards, it felt firm (not hard hard) to the touch and now, in my 24th week, sometimes I think I'm carrying a kicking melon.

fluene, I think u better check with your own gynae ! but for my whole pregnancy till now ( almost end ), whatever pain I feel, my gynae told it is because of my BB getting bigger and bigger...sometimes I really worry even he said like that....because u carry twin, it is better be careful ,ok ? TAKE CARE

hi fluene,

i had somewhat the same experience but it wasnt pain, more to uncomfy cramps. the cramps starts at the lower ab until the cervix area and boy, it feels so uncomfortable. i had it since last wed and i told myself, am not taking any chances, better see my gynea. same explaination was given by my gynea, dr siva from DSH and he said as long as no bleed, no spot, it shud be fine. the reason i went to see him was also to rule out whether it was UTI, just in case. he said its going to be like this until the end of first trimester. so, fluene dear, i think its best for u to refer to ur own gynea (this is to give you the assurance that ur BBs are healthy and growing :wub: ) and maybe take rest from work so that you can lie down and wat not, anything to make you feel better.

I have it near the lower ab too (the V area). I'm having this kind of cramp pain like towards 3rd trimester. My Dr say its due to uterus expansion.

I normally had this pain after sitting or sleeping

Been to see my gynae. He said that the pain is due to the ligament and nothing to worry about. he mentioned that at this stage, 13 weeks and onwards, most pregnant women will start to show their bellies. While their tummies just jut out, mine is jutting out as well as expanding sideways as I am carrying twins. I asked him what kind of pain we have to be aware of. He mentioned that if we have contractual pain, sort of like in badly need to poo poo and the pain is on periodical basis, then it is cause for concern.

Starryeye, simonne, how are many weeks are you all in now?

Another thing is, whenever you all go for checkup and scan the babies at the 1st trimester, do you all see your babies to be very active? Or they are not moving most of the time? One of my babies are very active; keeps on moving and 'jumping'. The other one seem to be resting all the time. I have only seen this baby moved his/her hand once. Is this normal?

fluene

I'm into 34 weeks now.

During the 1st Trimester i hardly feel the baby movement.. maybe coz the uterus has more space for baby movement, so mummy can't feel baby movement. Yeah sometimes can see baby playing with hands... sometimes they turn around.

Your twin baby one not active? Maybe he is sleeping?

I think as long both heart beats are normal. You dun have to worry much :wub:

fluene thats so cute. one of ur BB is so active, the other one might be the quiet type, just wana sleep. :wub: :wub:

well, i am very new, 10 weeks old onli. i managed to hear his/her heartbeat last weekend. so amazing, so fast!

yes, when my doc scanned at one point i see him/her moving a bit. so cute, so small yet so amazing, this is what we call the miracle of life, god's creation.

i am so glad to share all this with all the mommies to be here, such comfort to know that we have each other to go through this amazing journey.

Fluene, Eva was only very active from the 2nd trimester onwards. When I went for the ultrasounds in the first trimester, diam jeh...but in the 2nd one, omigod...pusing here and there, kick out, move the hand and feet... Even the doc had a headache trying to take a snapshot of her. :lol:

the other day i went to gynea and ask abt the pain above vagina..

i used to take obimin n calcium in the morning..

he told me to take obimin in the morning, and increase calcium dosage to 2 tablet, and take the calcium after my dinner.. he said the calcium will help to reduce the pain..if stil got pain..then increase dosage again next month..

i also dont understand why..but i just started this method yesterday.. will see how it goes..

I'm just concern whether the lack of activity of the 2nd baby indicates abnormality.

Islandgal, my dr. actually advised me not to take calcium supplement. Just get calcium from milk or food sources. He said that over supplementation of calcium may lead to formation of stones in the body

fluene..

maybe i'm taking calcium lactad, which only 300gram per tablet..so increase to 2 dosage stil within d limit

i heard my collegue told me that preggie lady need more than that..

oso, i read it sumore.. if ppl who have cramps, it's because the lack of calcium

everyday i only take cereal and milk..guess the calcium consumption is not enough uh

that case, let me check wif another gynea next visit..as i'm visitting 2 dr..not decide which dr for delivery yet

I'm just concern whether the lack of activity of the 2nd baby indicates abnormality.

Islandgal, my dr. actually advised me not to take calcium supplement. Just get calcium from milk or food sources. He said that over supplementation of calcium may lead to formation of stones in the body

hi,

calcium may lead to formation of stones in the body if u r lack with magnesium...

the other day i went to gynea and ask abt the pain above vagina..

i used to take obimin n calcium in the morning..

he told me to take obimin in the morning, and increase calcium dosage to 2 tablet, and take the calcium after my dinner.. he said the calcium will help to reduce the pain..if stil got pain..then increase dosage again next month..

i also dont understand why..but i just started this method yesterday.. will see how it goes..

yes, calcium will help to reduce the pain because it helps to relax our muscles...

hi,

both my babies (in 2 pregnancies) move actively during the 1st tri scanning... haha! a lot of space inside ma... swimming and play gung fu... when come to 3rd tri... even though can feel they kick very strong but when go for scanning, they just move around only... the space too limited liao... haha...

don't worry too much... move less doesn't mean abnormal ok...

During my last visit 2 weeks ago, i saw my bb is not so active, just lie down there maintain the same position throughout the scan. When i ask dr. why the bb seems not active, he said he might be sleeping, he is not necessary have to be active all the while.

On leg cramps,

Muscle fatigue isn't the only reason you may be suffering from leg cramps. Too much phosphorus (found in processed meat, snack foods, and soda) and too little calcium and potassium circulating in your blood can also cause muscle spasms.

And yes, it is true - excess calcium (with or without magnesium) can lead to hypercalcimia (sp) (if I'm not mistaken) and kidney stones.

One reason why your doc suggest that you take calcium from natural sources is that it's easily absorbed by the body together with other minerals that aids in calcium absorption and you don't have to worry about finding the right supplement with the right combo and etc. Calcium can be found not only in dairy products but in tofu, beans, sardines, oranges and some vegetables (dark green ones) as well. For me, I've never been on calcium supplement since I got pregnant - just watch my diet by eating calcium-rich foods. So far, no leg cramps except the other day because I have been skipping on my calcium (yoghurt) and potassium (banana).

Fluene, don't think that. Each baby is unique hence why doctors say you should never compare your baby in the womb with other women. I know of women whose babies are super active throughout the day and my Eva is only active from 5pm onwards.

Fluene

Lack of activity definitely doesnt indicate abnormality. The last time I checked with my doc, he said that some babies that are very active can be abnormal too, like having down's syndrome. There's no guarantee. So, it doesn't mean that a baby who is less active is not normal.

Babies are normal human beings, sometimes they have active days, sometimes they just feel like sleeping! Most important thing is the heartbeat is there and normal... :)

I guess I am going to ask you all the same question again. You all must be thinking that I am so 'fan', asking the same thing again and again.

You see, I am having this pain right at the centre at the lower abdomen, where the pubic hair is. When I walk, I feel the sharp pain and the pain as though something inside is falling. Is this what we call pelvic pressure?

fluene, i used to have that. uncomfy feeling in my cervix, at the bikini line. the feeling is as if something is pushing in inside.

i am not sure if thats the same thing.

i asked my gynea for my situation, he said at times it will causes the muscle pull at that area.

fluene, any bleed/spots?

fluene, i used to have that. uncomfy feeling in my cervix, at the bikini line. the feeling is as if something is pushing in inside.

i am not sure if thats the same thing.

i asked my gynea for my situation, he said at times it will causes the muscle pull at that area.

fluene, any bleed/spots?

No bleed / spots. I asked my sis who has been pregnant twice and she herself is not sure.

fluene,

i have pains at the pelvic n pubic area sometimes too. and sometimes i got the feeling is something feeling heavy at that place. it's like something gonna dropped down. i guess it's the pressure of the babies weighing down. whenever i turn or whenever i stand up from a sitting position or sleeping position, i got that aching feeling on my pelvic. i checked with my gynae also, as long no intense cramps for too long or spotting/bleeding, should be no problem. but if you are too worried, then checked with your gynae will be better. maybe for us carrying twins will be harder since more weight..

fluene,

i have pains at the pelvic n pubic area sometimes too. and sometimes i got the feeling is something feeling heavy at that place. it's like something gonna dropped down. i guess it's the pressure of the babies weighing down. whenever i turn or whenever i stand up from a sitting position or sleeping position, i got that aching feeling on my pelvic.

That's exactly what I am feeling. I don't want to keep running to the gynae. Somemore I am going to change gynae. The dr I am seeing now doesn't tell me much and always like shooing me out of the door as soon as possible. However, I have not decided which gynae and which medical centre to go yet. Still looking for a good O&G who is attached to a good and reasonable medical centre. Any recommendations?