oxford_bb

Drawing plan and Submission Fees

Dear all,

I am planing to reno my new house. I have find some contractors to compare their quotation but most of them didn't incharge of the "drawing and submmision plan". They sub to other ppl and the fees about rm 5k. HB and me really shocked when heard it. They suggest us to settle it ourselves. Kindly advise me what should I do now? where to get arkitek? I am afraid that if I go to the arkitek firm, sure kena "potong".....

Dear all,

I am planing to reno my new house. I have find some contractors to compare their quotation but most of them didn't incharge of the "drawing and submmision plan". They sub to other ppl and the fees about rm 5k. HB and me really shocked when heard it. They suggest us to settle it ourselves. Kindly advise me what should I do now? where to get arkitek? I am afraid that if I go to the arkitek firm, sure kena "potong".....

It depends on your location and whether your plan is for submission to local council or for building house. I'm in Penang and just spoke with an architect yesterday about my renovation. Drawing house plan for submission only is cheaper provided you trust the contractor knows what he is doing. It will cost me RM137 for mpsp submission fee, rm500 for mpsp deposit, rm1200 for architect fee, rm500 for structure engineer fee and rm1233 fine for starting work while pending approval. An alternative if using contractor with unknown reputation is to pay about rm1500 instead of rm500 for structure engineer to design your house structure that contractor must follow.

For PJ area I hv a contact, whereby this guy works in MPPJ, so can get his help to draw n do the submission. 2 years back I paid about 2.5k (cannot remember clearly) for the whole thing. He draw and get the approval for me. Kinda hassle free :) But he can only cover area under MBPJ jurisdiction :P

Dear all,

It depends on your location and whether your plan is for submission to local council or for building house. I'm in Penang and just spoke with an architect yesterday about my renovation. Drawing house plan for submission only is cheaper provided you trust the contractor knows what he is doing. It will cost me RM137 for mpsp submission fee, rm500 for mpsp deposit, rm1200 for architect fee, rm500 for structure engineer fee and rm1233 fine for starting work while pending approval. An alternative if using contractor with unknown reputation is to pay about rm1500 instead of rm500 for structure engineer to design your house structure that contractor must follow.

Dear kaybee,

FYI, I am in KL. what the difference between submission to local council and building house?

I need some clarification about the fees that you stated. Did you mean that if I do it step-by-step will cost me less $$ RM3570 (137+500+1200+500+1233) compare to the alternative?

And what you mean by "An alternative if using contractor with unknown reputation is to pay about rm1500 instead of rm500 for structure engineer to design your house structure that contractor must follow"?

sorry ah, I am really blur about all this new terms to me :wacko3: thanks for your info and sharing.

which area oxford bb? if shah alam i can advise...

For PJ area I hv a contact, whereby this guy works in MPPJ, so can get his help to draw n do the submission. 2 years back I paid about 2.5k (cannot remember clearly) for the whole thing. He draw and get the approval for me. Kinda hassle free :) But he can only cover area under MBPJ jurisdiction :P

Dear babysiew & jean ji, My new house at puchong ...is under MPSJ. If 2 yrs back around 2.5K. I think it shouldn't double up to 5K.

if mbsa it is a lot easier... just DIY... no need architect...

ICIC...so good ah...reduce a lot "ma fan". I heard that MPSJ is very "ma fan" one, got many rules and very tight.

If ordinary terrace house, just get the contractor to help draw the specs you want. Easy on cost & coordination. No need architect

If bungalow, where cost is not an issue, one can attain an architect. After all, an architect is needed to 'certify' the structural specs.

Dear kaybee,

FYI, I am in KL. what the difference between submission to local council and building house?

I need some clarification about the fees that you stated. Did you mean that if I do it step-by-step will cost me less $$ RM3570 (137+500+1200+500+1233) compare to the alternative?

And what you mean by "An alternative if using contractor with unknown reputation is to pay about rm1500 instead of rm500 for structure engineer to design your house structure that contractor must follow"?

sorry ah, I am really blur about all this new terms to me :wacko3: thanks for your info and sharing.

I'm confusing you, ah? Since you're staying in KL, this may not be applicable to you. Here how it goes.

You want to extend your house. You already got an idea on the design, layout, size etc. You can either talk to a contractor for quotation first or talk to architect and structure engineer first. If you talk to contractor first and agree on his quotation, the contractor will build the structure according to his experience in term of sub-structure requirement, pillar and beam size, rebar size, BRC, concrete grade, floor thickness etc etc. The architect will just draw the plan (rm1200) according to your design and the structure engineer come up with his document (rm500) as well for submission to local council (rm137+rm500 deposit) for approval. The contractor do not follow the architect plan as he is following your own drawing. So the architect drawing is purely for submission to local council for approval. The alternative is for you to get the drawing from architect and structure engineer, then approach contractor for quotation. The construction will follow the drawing exactly and may cost higher if architect or structure engineer specification is better than what the contractor normally use. Example is using rebar N12 instead of Y12 or 60' piling instead of 40' piling. This will cost more for structure engineer work (rm1500). The same drawings are use for submission to local council as well. The difference here is the structure engineer fee and maybe contractor quotation is also higher.

In Penang, you can start building the extension while you're waiting for approval by local council. They may fine you at rate of 10x of your submission fee. In my case 10x rm137 = rm1370 inclusive of the submission fee. This does not mean they will not fine you again if they found your extension is much different from the architect drawing. If you don't follow this route by paying the fine, the waiting time for approval may take anytime from 3-6months and even a year in my friend's case. Most people will happily pay the fine. Whatever fee I mentioned here may not be application to your local council or architect/civil engineer consultant firms.

If ordinary terrace house, just get the contractor to help draw the specs you want. Easy on cost & coordination. No need architect

If bungalow, where cost is not an issue, one can attain an architect. After all, an architect is needed to 'certify' the structural specs.

Dear M. Donny,

Firstly, thank for your info. Mine is terrance hse, just wondering how much contractor would charge for it? As one of my contractor told me, actually he sub to someone do all this drwing and submission plan which cost about rm5k. then, he ask me to find myself since the price he get quite high.

I'm confusing you, ah? Since you're staying in KL, this may not be applicable to you. Here how it goes.

You want to extend your house. You already got an idea on the design, layout, size etc. You can either talk to a contractor for quotation first or talk to architect and structure engineer first. If you talk to contractor first and agree on his quotation, the contractor will build the structure according to his experience in term of sub-structure requirement, pillar and beam size, rebar size, BRC, concrete grade, floor thickness etc etc. The architect will just draw the plan (rm1200) according to your design and the structure engineer come up with his document (rm500) as well for submission to local council (rm137+rm500 deposit) for approval. The contractor do not follow the architect plan as he is following your own drawing. So the architect drawing is purely for submission to local council for approval. The alternative is for you to get the drawing from architect and structure engineer, then approach contractor for quotation. The construction will follow the drawing exactly and may cost higher if architect or structure engineer specification is better than what the contractor normally use. Example is using rebar N12 instead of Y12 or 60' piling instead of 40' piling. This will cost more for structure engineer work (rm1500). The same drawings are use for submission to local council as well. The difference here is the structure engineer fee and maybe contractor quotation is also higher.

In Penang, you can start building the extension while you're waiting for approval by local council. They may fine you at rate of 10x of your submission fee. In my case 10x rm137 = rm1370 inclusive of the submission fee. This does not mean they will not fine you again if they found your extension is much different from the architect drawing. If you don't follow this route by paying the fine, the waiting time for approval may take anytime from 3-6months and even a year in my friend's case. Most people will happily pay the fine. Whatever fee I mentioned here may not be application to your local council or architect/civil engineer consultant firms.

Dear KayBee,

Pretty clear your explanation. Now I know where to start. TQVM!

Hi,

I am new in this forum.

I need some help on architectural drawings, etc for MBSA.

I am intending to build a bungalow house and it seems there are so many problems.

For approval from MBSA we need architectural drawings of the house (house plan), M&E drawing, Structural drawings from the Engineer with signatures, etc and these people all want to charge 10% of the construction price which is about RM45K

Does anyone know how I can get it done cheaper??

Please help.

Hi jean_jj ,

Can i have the architect contact? Thank you :)