raymond

PPM and MACP License

Did a search in this forum and there's not many discussion about MACP and PPM licenses.

It seems that when you want to hire a live band to perform on your wedding dinner, you'll need to get license before they are allowed to play. There are 2 types of license, MACP (Music Authors Copyright Protection) and PPM (Public Performance Malaysia). Getting both license would cost nearly RM1,000 (sort of like paying for nothing!)

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge if we should get the license or not? All events company would ask us to get the license but I found an article saying that we don't need to since it is a once in a life time event.

http://benpsound.blogspot.com/2009/04/abou...pm-license.html

QUOTE (raymond @ May 14 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did a search in this forum and there's not many discussion about MACP and PPM licenses.

It seems that when you want to hire a live band to perform on your wedding dinner, you'll need to get license before they are allowed to play. There are 2 types of license, MACP (Music Authors Copyright Protection) and PPM (Public Performance Malaysia). Getting both license would cost nearly RM1,000 (sort of like paying for nothing!)

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge if we should get the license or not? All events company would ask us to get the license but I found an article saying that we don't need to since it is a once in a life time event.

http://benpsound.blogspot.com/2009/04/abou...pm-license.html

Weddings don't need any license for 'live' performance. We have done well over 700+ Weddings and none whatsoever license is required.

Thanks for your advice.

Does a full band piece playing songs considered to be "live" performance?

From what I heard live performance such as 1 person playing the violin does not require license, but a full piece band that is using drum, bass, lead, vocalist and percussion needs it.

Ray, whether you have 1million musicians and singers on stage or 1000 in your wedding...you STILL do not need any license. Gosh...who is the crazy person who tell you all these silly things?

Gotta blame my hotel's event manager for that :P

She was saying that we need MACP license because the live band will be playing copyrighted songs.

As for PPM license, we also need it because the band will be doing a public performance.

I am going to give both of the organisation a call to confirm this. I really don't want authorities to come in and stop the music in the middle of the dinner.

Thanks again amanda_angels.

ray...you should know by know that some 'people' get commision by insisting you pay for these silly licenses...which you are not that guillable, yes?

Just gave a call MACP and PPM, and they said Weddings don't require MACP and PPM license because it is a private function.

Thanks amanda, lucky you replied or else I'd be stupidly paying for something which I don't need.

I got a quote from one of the events company and in the package there is PPM and MACP!

I wonder how can an events company that is always involved in events don't even know about this...

I got a quote from one of the events company and in the package there is PPM and MACP!

I wonder how can an events company that is always involved in events don't even know about this...

Ray..I think it's time you filter these unethical people. I'm disappointed you were given false info and almost taken advantage of from these unethical people! We always tell the brides and grooms who were interested in our bands to be wary of such people.You almost became another victim...but luckily you asked about this in this forum and none of these unethical people replied.

When we tell the couples all these licenses are not applicable to weddings, they didnt believe us. ..but chose to believe some 'people'. Ended up not only did they get a sub standard band from a wedding planner for their wedding, they also found out (much later) that these 'people' actually swallowed the license money they paid to the 'people! Why? because they buta-buta believe others but not us.

So they paid a lot more for the substandard band (which was HIGHLY recommended by these 'people' of course :angry: and the fee was marked up a lot) due to the middleman inflated cost plus the Rm1,000+ for the 'license' which was not even needed in the 1st place at all. :sauer2:

I am glad you avoided being a victim, Ray. Let this be known that everyone here that there are many unethical 'people' out there waiting to exploit and slaughter your money for your ignorance.

It's disappointing too that when we are sincere in helping some couples save cost, some of them didnt appreciate it :angry: . To us, it's all bout being honest and transparent. If they dont appreciate us, we cant do anything...but at least we are not unethical like some 'people' who swallow your money the unethical way.

Please be careful, everyone.

Our bands also face the similar problem too. We told couples that weddings do not require you to pay MACP or PPM, but they said that the hotel side insisted them to pay. Some even worse, they said if they engage the hotel's resident band, the couple won't have to worry about MACP or PPM cos the hotel's band already has the license. Some even critisized our band said, "If it's a professional band, they'll sure have license." :sauer2: And we also came across some bands that quoted our clients that include MACP and PPM! Yah, so at the end, they earn more, cos swallow the license fee mah....

However, SADLY, the couples often don't believe in what we advise or tell them. Some even throw the burden on us, saying if the MACP or PPM authorities turn up, you bear the cost ah!! :angry:

And it's funny when I came across Raymond saying that 1 violin solo doesn't need license and full band would need it?! LOL!! What kind of statement is this and who's silly enough to say this? I think that all these misleading information surface because of some irresponsible event company, bands or agents, who wanted to earn profit for their own. SO beware~! :unsure: Weddings are private functions and do not require MACP or PPM, only company or corporate functions need these license.

Know your rights!

There's no such thing as a 'license' for bands for weddings...even for the resident hotel band. There's NO such LICENSE! PPM and MACP licenses are for corporate public performance. Wedding is NOT included.

As Ray has confirmed after calling these 2 co, know your rights!...and weed out all these unethical 'people' who are only after your hard earned money. You do NOT need any license for any 'live' band, singer, musician, whatever in weddings. Knowledge is power...and these 'people' used it to the maxiumum to take advantage of you folks. They will use the 'scare' tactic by threatening officers will raid your wedding and stop your wedding and all those BS! :sauer2:

God knows how much money they have swallowed in the past years from many couples simply by INSISTING the couple pay for 'licenses' that are not even necessary in the 1st place.

Many times couples who hired our bands were skeptical when we told them there's no need for any license...cos they were told by HOTEL people otherwise. I wonder why people always choose to believe hotel people and not professionals like us? :sauer2:

All Hotels want profit..to the max. They have this 'take it or leave it' attitude which is bad. they already earned so much form your wedding...yet they still wanna squeeze you some more with silly 'licenses' that are not even applicable for weddings?? :dash2:

Some couples also doubted our sincerity in helping them to save cost. It's pretty frustrating when they do not appreciate our hard effort. Not all couples are like that of course, to be fair. Some couples were delighted we helped them save cost and recommended their friends and business associates to hire us.

Please be wary of ANY band or musician who tell you that you must pay for these 'licenses'. That is the 1st sign that they are crooks! You dont wanna deal with crooks, do you? :ohmy:

Thanks Raymond for asking the question. I was about to ask in this forum if we need to pay for MACP and PPM too. Good to know that wedding is considered private function and not adhered to the regulation. :lol:

E Lynn...whatever music you play in your wedidng...live band..CD...cassete...LP...whatever...dont need any silly license.

Thanks for the info!! :)

Hi,

I am new here and wanna thanks for your thread regarding PPM and MACP.

I was told by an event planner that I have to apply PPM and MACP for my wedding dinner.

The cost of renting the equipment is RM450 ( Projector and Sound System), however he scared me off that the PPM and MACP may cost up to RM700-800 if officer come and check during my wedding.

Luckily I found this thread and called up PPM immediately, and thank goodness PPM PIC promise not to come and kacau my wedding. I have yet to contact MACP, maybe due to Raya Holiday. Hope I can get a good response like PPM.

Thanks for sharing info.

Amanda love the way your respond you are so straight forward and cool.~ Thanks for your opinion .

My pleasure.

Hi,

I was told by an event planner that I have to apply PPM and MACP for my wedding dinner.

The cost of renting the equipment is RM450 ( Projector and Sound System), however he scared me off that the PPM and MACP may cost up to RM700-800 if officer come and check during my wedding.

Luckily I found this thread and called up PPM immediately, and thank goodness PPM PIC promise not to come and kacau my wedding. I have yet to contact MACP, maybe due to Raya Holiday. Hope I can get a good response like PPM.

Thanks for sharing info.

No you know that event co are crooks! Goodness...stay away from these CROOKS!!

Hi,

Thanks for sharing info.

hi super banana,actually u just néed to call macp,coz Ppm license is the sound system company apply one,that is the license for them if they want to do sound rental,and MACP is for u to apply if u hv entertainment in ur event,but like what we checked,wedding they won't charge u for MACP yet.. So no worried about that.. ;)

hi super banana,actually u just néed to call macp,coz Ppm license is the sound system company apply one,that is the license for them if they want to do sound rental,and MACP is for u to apply if u hv entertainment in ur event,but like what we checked,wedding they won't charge u for MACP yet.. So no worried about that.. ;)

Oic, Thanks Yuki.