Sign in to follow this  
uniquesoul

Is it a good thing to get pregnant?

hi diana, u actually did sewing/? dont think that is appropriate 4 u..hmm..better dont ler. cause ur having a baby gal.. need to provide her with beautiful features and looks..

Eunice,

Heard a lot of good reviews for Bravado maybe you might wanna try that? I think I'll get 1 to try first and see if it's really good then maybe get another 2 more coz I really prefer the Hotmilk brand haha..Yeah I got a lot of housework to do coz moving into new house next week so gotta prepare all the interior lor. Still got a little touch up paint to do.. cleaning etc I've already got a cleaner to come in tomorrow to do the cleaning coz they clean windows, weeding and carpet steaming as well so it's good for me...

uniquesoul,

Yeah sewing but not hand sewing.. I am doing machine sewing. Well I figure sometimes we just can't avoid everything. I can't send it to anyone to sew her coz it's gonna be SOOO expensive unlike doing it at Kamdar. And I thought well ladies who worked at clothes factory last time also will fall pregnant and they'd be sewing like the whole day as well and well I don't think all of their children had any problem? Westerners here also do the same and their babies are fine and then last nite my MIL's friend also said now baby stable already it is ok don't worry so much so I reckon if we think too much about it then it'll affect our baby lol..

Sewing is bad for babies when you're preggers? UTTER NONSENSE! I sewed, knitted, and crochet throughout my entire pregnancy - all the big no-nos - and look at Eva. Not a single blemish on her skin when she came out.

Sometimes I think some of those pantang are silly, eg walking, lifting your hands higher and no sewing, no this or that, cannot eat crab coz baby will walk sideways, cheese coz will poo in the womb, etc. If we were to adher to all of that, our homes would be like the pig pen, we would suffer from malnourishment OR cravings OR weight issues, and feeling bored & lazy (especially if you're a SAHW). Everything as long as done in moderation and carefully is fine. Like my gynae said when I first got pregnant, just continue to live normally and use your brains. :smile:

Eunise, Bravado, Bravado, Bravado! :lol:

Diana & eunice,

You two sound like you are really happy to have been born as females. I'm happy for you two, too.

You know what? One of my daughters use to grouse and growl over the fact that she had born a female. And I did also hear from some other females that, if they had a choice, they would have chosen to be born as males. Well, they might have their own special reasons for saying so, but I believe, just like many other things, there are both pros and cons for either one.

As for me, I'm glad being a male - not because I have a pistol to shoot left and right with. It's more because I like to be naughty and people seem to think that it is more acceptable for a male to be naughtier than a female.

You're right meiteoh,

Those superstitious pregnancy's pantang larangs are just PLIAN SILLY! Sometimes, I just wonder how come, in this modern age of science and technology, there are still many people believing in all those kinds of dumb things.

How the hell, for example, does the physical action of sewing outside the stomach can effect the biological development of the baby inside the stomach? Can someone explain to me how it works?

I remember, at one time, my mother-in-law was horrified to see me digging a hole on the ground (for planting lemon grass). She reprimanded me saying that my baby would be born also with a hole on its body.

Well, if that belief of hers was true, it would simply mean that both husband and wife would not be able to do anything at all the moment a pregnancy is detected. For example, if we chop meat or vege for cooking, then somebody can say the baby would be born with severed hands or legs. If we bake a pie, then our baby would be born with a face that looks like a pie. You see, anybody can say anything on anything we do.

So, can we believe them? Come on! Please don't make life more difficult for yourselves. Be logical and be scientific. Empty out those rubbish items from your head.

And my advice to everyone is: Never ever tell your children those kind of things. For the sake of the well being of the future human species, please help to abolish all the unscientific myths which can hinder and retard development and progress.

Mabel & Apekjolly,

Well yeah before I was reminded about it I was already planning to do all that was forbidden. In fact I even did some drilling LOL..But sometimes it's just hard to not think about things when people around keep reminding you about it. Well they say babies born with a cleft lip is due to moms sewing on beds. I'll think ok.. what if it really did happen then I'd really blame myself for not listening though yes logically how does it really affect my baby? And I definitely agree that we shouldn't pass all these pantang larangs to our children because it'll just make them paranoid! Just like me now.. I am gonna do it, I need to do it so I can't help it!

'if we chop meat or vege for cooking, then somebody can say the baby would be born with severed hands or legs'

Aiyo, then have to tapao everyday for food? Too bad la, i dont have a maid or stay in ILs/mom with me so got to do all the cooking myself and without being able to cut vege/meat...how to cook la??! :dash2:

:lol:

I remember my mum telling me cannot clean the kitchen sink or toilet coz baby will be born with dunno what defect, lubang here and there coz that's what happened to dunno which great-relative. I just told her "Mum, I got no maid, and I'm not a dirty fella. I'll take my chances".

Huh?? Toilet also cannot clean??? Oh dear LOL.. Anyway all I hope for is a healthy baby! 10 more weeks to go...when will I be able to say I've got 1 more week to go? LOL

I think the pantang about cleaning toilet is actually because of the slippery floors la. I used to clean the toilets during 1st and 2nd trimester but no more since 3rd trimester cos i find it difficult to bend down, squat and scrub the floors.

Diana, soon la... I get freaked out when i think of labour nowadays. :dash2: I am scared of the pain. :p

Yea..me too. Abit nervous..i always taught first time mum-to-be here would not worried abt giving birth..i mean the pain and all tht crappy feeling. its like preparing yourself for the battle..hope i wont panic out when time has come.. :wacko:

Hmm I still clean the toilets now..I just need to kangkang a bit bigger hahaha..if not then kneel on knees lor. Haha I dowanna think about the pain now.. it's way too long to worry about it.. If I stress about it now I think I'll just tire myself out hehe.. Went for the ante natal classes last weekend and saw a few videos on women giving birth. They look very painful LOL.. but midwife says it varies for everyone so stay positive and think yeah I'll just have mine in a snap! Hahaha that's why I'm very hardworking now always occupy myself with work that involves walking.. it helps in the delivery!

Uniquesoul,

I think it is first time moms who will worry more coz we don't know what to expect! Haha..Just hope our perineum don't tear and that the doc won't have to cut it to allow more space for bb to come out! My HB's sis in-law almost had to have hers cut but once she heard the doc say wanna cut she said no!!! and *poot* her baby comes out LOL. So better build up the stamina to push push and push!!

I'm nearing the end of my 2nd trimester and yea, there's this thought of impending labor looming at the back of my head on and off. I try to think of it as pregnancy --> healthy, happy baby in my arms ( just skip the labor part ) when I imagine how the coming months would be. :smile:

A bit off topic but would like to ask for advice here :

My SIL ( my hubby's sis ) told my hubby that labor is very gory and geli, that it's better for him to stay away from the labor room else he will end up getting blood phobia and nightmares. My hubby originally intended to accompany me during labor, but now that his sister has brought this up, he's convinced that he'll get nightmares and is seriously thinking about staying away and letting me go through it on my own.

Hb is very close to his family and he has this habit of listening to his family members no matter how non-sensical the things they say ( e.g. avoid looking at handicapped people else bb will be suffer the same fate...huh? ). He doesn't half believe me when I tell him more important and may I say medically established facts, e.g. to stay away from cold cut deli, raw meats etc due to listeria.

Actually, I'm very dissatisfied with my SIL for being so thoughtless and I have half a mind to gv her a call and tell her off....though, sigh, I know she meant well to my hb, but this time, her well-meaning advice might have serious ramifications for me because I cannot imagine having to go through labor alone.

Aiyo, how to convince my hb now? I feel like want to cekik him.

Marlene, I could smack your SIL for insensitivity. Dads being in the labour room is part of the whole birth experience and adds to the joys of fatherhood. My HB wasn't in the OT with me during my c-sec coz he can pengsan from the smell of bleach and the sight of blood (he hates hospitals) so the midwife suggested that he be the one to receive and dress my daugther for the first time instead of the midwife. That way, can still bond with her and all that.

i also want my hb to be with me during labor - natural or c-sec...

now i just hope he can reach to the hospital in time if i tibatiba wanna give birth..but i told my mom that day..i said, ' mommy, if alex cannot make it on time to be with me in labor room...you teman me ok?' . My dad was like...WHAT? Lol.

The thought of having someone close to me like hb / mommy at least makes me feel relieved a bit la.

Agree with diana, work out more with housework and brush off silly/negative thoughts abt labour. No matter what, hubby should stay beside thier wifey during that critical moment or else, she would not know what to do. I do respect for womens who can give birth alone.

Hi marlene, think u should convince him once again. Try telling him not to look at d process, i mean just ask him to stand by u, pamper and comfort you when you;re in pain. Don't think that will cause him nightmare or whatsoever ^^

uniqeusoul,

LOL yeah doing hosuework is god but have to becareful. But my life has suddely slowed down for these 2 days coz I can't do anything until the cleaner cleans my new house!! And she had to postpone till tomorrow.. Sigh.. my hands are already so itchy to hang all my curtains up.

Marlene,

My uncle told me to tell my HB that he should go into the labr room with me coz it creates such a great bonding. My HB was gonna go in anyway regardless of what he was told LOL. Anyway don't know about the ante natal classes back in KL, but when I went for mine just last week, the midwife encouraged all HBs to go into the labor room with their wives because it gives us lots of support as it is a very emotional time. Tell your HB that he should just focus on your face and remind you to breathe and tell you you can do it! And everything will be done in no time! I doubt he'd even have time to think about the blood etc.

Eunice,

Yeah I am also thinking to ask my mom to accompany me if my HB can't make it to the hospital on time but then I'm sure he'll be there before I enter the OT haha.. on the way to the hospital I'll call him and I know even if he's with his client he'll sa ok goodbye I need to go to the hospital now LOL

I think its your HB at fault than you SIL. He's the one to make the decision whether or not to go in with you. My mom also told me the same thing. If you are afraid of blood, better dont go in. In the end, its me that makes the decision, not her. If you can keep your mind out of the blood thing and just focus on your wife, then its easier to go through it. Im not sure whether I can handle it as well. The first time usually very panic for sure. Just pray that the sensation from your wife 'killer' grip on your hand is enough to avoid you from thinking too much, that should be okay.

Andre, I don't think it's as easy as keep your mind focused on your wife because there will be a lot of things going on and all. Besides, like my docs mentioned, if you were to faint, it'll be more work for them, especially in an OT. It happened to someone before - her HB fainted in the OT and in the end, they ended up side by side in the hospital room. He was with her throughout the whole birth, just not awake. :lol:

HOW PREGNANCY TABOOS CAME ABOUT

In ancient time, there was very little scientific understanding. The frequency and possibilty of babies born with defects was thus very high. When that happened, people would either look for an excuse to blame or a reason to explain. So, the most logical thing they could come up with was that it must be something that the child's parents did while the baby was still in the stomach (actually, womb).

Whatever type of defect a child was born with, there was always an incident or a thing which the parents did that could explain the ill fortune. After all, there was a 9-month period, and within this long period, countless number of things could have happened, and at least one of the happenings could be used to fit into the picture. So, they thought, in order not to invite the same trouble, the things which they thought had caused the child's defects should not be repeated by anyone. So, the taboos were born.

Even nowadays such a belief is still widespread because people are naturally fearful and superstitious. They prefer to be safe than sorry, so to say. Thus, many would rather not want to break the rules regardless of whether they are true or not. After all, it is still possible now "to find a reason to fit the picture".

Let me illustrate by citing a real case to show what I mean by finding a reason to fit the picture.

It happened many years back to someone I knew. His wife gave birth to a baby, and the baby was covered with long, fine, whitish hairs. In other words, the baby looked like a monkey.

Being superstitious, they thus looked for a reason, and they found it: When the wife was about 3 months pregnant, they went to a zoo. While there, the pregnant woman was startled by a monkey that had suddenly jumped near to the cage to snatch the biscuit that she was eating. Then, of course, that story got circulated among friends and relatives, and the fearful ones who heard the story would of course not want the same incident to happen to themselves, and so, visiting a zoo while pregant became a taboo to them.

Now, as a matter fact, the reality is that, the baby was born premature. And babies who are born too early always have long hairs all over the body. Check that out with those who know if you don't believe me.

Diana & uniquesoul,

I tried walking initially, but end up very tired. Legs are pain and swollen. So hubby suggest me to try swimming. I don't really know how to swim, I just go into the pool and kicking my leg, like doing cycling. It really help with dialation. I dialated 7cm half an hour after the water bag broke. My gynae joked that I can have 10 childs. Unfortunately, I don't know the breathing technique and how to push correctly, so I ended up kena "tong". :lol:

hi lw-cath. You dialated at 7cm? Hmm..i tot it supposed to be 10cm? Really had no idea abt the centimeters and stuff..Does all women need doc to cut it low in case it tears?

uniquesoul...

Yea..dialated 7cm half an hour after the water broke. Doctor said very fast and he ask me if I feel anything like heartburn in the afternoon. He was expecting that the dialation should be about 2-3 cm only. I waited for another hour before the delivery start. Tried for about an hour plus, not able to push the baby out, so ended up in the OT.

Not sure about the cut..mine wasn't cut. I did forcep also.