Sign in to follow this  
hlee

Ever lost ur bag before???

I lost my bag for the first time in my life today. i dropped it in a certain shopping mall in damansara, n it was picked up by someone who did not return it. instead he/she used my credit card in the nearby petrol station.

i asked the mall's security to check the cctv. they said they would but never returned my call after that. i lodged a police report. i told them since that person used my credit card illegally, would they search out that person if the cctv shows the whole incident? no, they said. it's my fault that i dropped my bag. they would not take any action against the person who picked up my bag. yea, i know it's my own carelesness. but tat person used my credit card. isn't tat illegal?? the police kept insisted that it's my own fault.

the police won't help. at all. all they did is to type & print out the report. tat's all. they kept repeating tat it's my own fault n they have no time to entertain tis kind of petty issues.

i can't describe how i feel now. the incident happened in the basement carpark. since there's cctv around, they can easily find out the car plate no. of the person who took my bag. from there, how difficult is it to track down the owner of the car? yet, nobody wanted to help me. how do i describe what i feel towards the people who should be able to help me but did not??

Well, the thing is, it is really not illegal to pick up a bag and not return it. But as you said, he/she used your credit card. That is fraud!! The 1st thing you should do if you lost your bag is to cancel off all credit cards, ATM cards and also block your phone. It is indeed wrong for the police to say they cannot / won't do anything for your credit card being used by others. Why are we paying tax for their salaries? To fatten them up to the point they can't even see their toes due to their big bulging tummy?

I am sorry to say that Malaysians in general are not that honest. Nor did we show gratitude either. There was once I saw a lady dropped a purse in 1U. I picked it up and chased after her to return it. She just took it without even saying thank you. Then there was another time a lady parked her car beside me in Mid Valley. She forgot to wind up her car window and went out straight to the mall. I chased after her to tell her that. No thank you as well. Made me regret helping these people. Also once, my hb and I parked our car in a spot in Mid Valley after a car vacated the spot. When hb got down from the car, he saw the previous car owner's handphone on the floor. We kept it because we have no idea how to return it. Then the owner called and asked for the phone. We told them we will be in Mid Valley for a movie and he can come to pick it up either before or after the movie. You know what he said? 'So ma fan. I am outside MV already. Why don't you bring the hp out to me now?' Talking as if we owe it to him!!!

I must praise the Japanese though. Last year, hb and I were in Tokyo. Hb dropped his wallet in the airport bus. His wallet contains his credit cards, ATM cards, IC, driving license, A LOT of cash and all. We were frantic as we discovered the loss only after we checked in the hotel. We tried to call the bus co but no one pick up as it was already after office hours. The hotel people advised us to try again tomorrow morning. Sure enough, the next morning, the hotel people helped us to trace the wallet as we can't speak Japanese and the bus co people can't speak English. Detail directions were given to us as to where we can collect the wallet at their service centre (they have many). Not a single card or single coin / cash lost. The wallet was carefully wrapped in plastic to show that it has not been opened.

but not everyone is like tat. i kept hoping the person who picked up my bag would return to me. but he did not. wat disappointed me most is the attitude of the law enforcers. they insisted that they won help me track down tat person even tho the cctv shows the car and tat person used my credit card. they said they have more important things to do!

Well, the police can be very discouraging sometimes - I have been lucky to encounter those who have been courteous and helpful, and mind you, I have lost not just my bag with money and all but my passport as well (it was in Singapore and boy o' boy was it a real lesson)!!!! Even though the police were very kind and all, I still got told that I should be more careful - in other words, it's my carelessness - in order to save me all this misery and such. I supposed what you were looking for was not the whole "I told you so" but just some understanding.

I can understand why they won't expand so much energy searching for a petty thief - it involves a whole lot of paperwork and such, and usually the officers you speak to ARE poorly paid and overworked. Also, to them, a Chinese (sorry to say this again) can afford to lose some money, credit cards and all that. Shitty, I know. =.=

I agree with Fluene - Malaysians are not very honest and neither are they grateful. I remember countless of times where I have told people about their unlocked cars, dropped money/items and etc only to get an annoyed look in return (but I still do it anyway). When I was in Australia, a woman had left a big bunch of keys (house, car and all) at the shop where I was working. She came back asking if we had any idea where it was and when we produced it, she thanked us, went out and came back again five minutes later with a big box of chocolates as a token of her gratitude. I dropped my handphone in the cinema in Sydney once and had just realised that it was missing when a little girl around 8 years old came up to me and shyly returned it. I thanked her and she ran back to her mum and it was just heartwarming watching her mother praise her for her honesty.

Here in Switzerland, people are super honest. I left my HB's camera in the bus one morning and a kind soul actually took it and gave it to the bus driver who in turn kept it for us under lock and key. When my HB went to collect the camera, he noticed that there were other things - from umbrellas and keys...stuff that people would normally just take in Malaysia without a care in the world. You can tie your purebreed dog outside a store, go in shopping and come out finding your dog still patiently waiting for you but in Malaysia, it would be gone in a flash!

tat's y i'm always envious of ppl who stay overseas. anyway it doesn't help me feel better. i'm so disappointed, but not wit the guy who took my bag. i'm not really surprised tat he didn't return my bag, tho i kept hoping there'd be a miracle.

i know they cant be bothered with petty cases but at least they could have treat us civilians better since we're paying them! one of them even threw nasty comments at me and wanted to chase me out of there. believe me, i did not shout at them, i did not make a scene. i just wanted them to help me track down the guy.

:sad:

perhaps i should just migrate to spore.

has anyone had similar experience before?? i just tot of smth. since the police won help, how about the bank?? i'd lodged a report with the bank. will they take action against the person who used my card unauthorised? if they do, then i might have a chance to nail tat guy.

hlee, overseas is not necessarily better - I'm lucky coz I'm living in a small town and Switzerland is generally safe but go to places like Paris, Lyon, Zurich and Geneva, and you'll find pickpockets, petty theft and so forth. In fact, my friend here witnessed a snatch theft at the railway station in the next town (which isn't any bigger than the town I'm staying in)!!!! In Malaysia, you just need to be a bit more careful, that's all. :smile:

Don't think that SG is any better... Remember how I said I lost my bag (and passport) in SG? The person who took my bag only returned my bag coz it contained my passport. Otherwise all the money and even the cards like (Touch n Go) were gone.

Bank-wise, they won't help you track down the guy - at most is that they might refund the amount lost, cancel your card and give you a new one, but otherwise, don't depend on them to take action like arresting the guy or finding out more info about him and such. Not their job. :/