fluene

Hospital Stay till Delivery

Hi everyone! Just to let you all know that I have not been missing. He he!

The thing is, I had some pain at the cervix area on 14 July. It felt like the cervix is going to burst open when my babies move. Called my O&G and he asked me to come over for him to have a look. Upon examination, he found that my cervix had dilated 2cm. The dr was very concerned as I was only 26 weeks then and the babies are very much pre mature. He quickly referred me to UMMC (before that I was with him in UMSC). I was admitted into the labour ward. Ventilators for my babies were immediately reserved and sent to the labour ward for me.

Many O&G dr (besides my regular dr) came to talk to me about the risk of pre term labour. Even the paeds came to counselled me on the risks that my babies are facing.

I was given steroids to help my babies lungs to develop and also medications to try to stop the labour. Actually, I did not have any contractions. My cervix just dilated out of nothing. A nurse was stationed at side to monitor any contractions / tightening. My tummy tightened every 5 mins. I thought that was contraction but the nurse said it was only tightening. But then when the nurse said I am having contractions, the fact is, I did not feel anything at all. So, till now I can't differentiate between tightening and contractions. But as long as there is no pain, then should be ok. The 1st night passed without any drama and the tightening stopped around 3am.

The next day, the dr talked to me about a better drug to stop labour but it cost RM3k . Asked whether I can afford that or not. I agreed to it but when the dr checked my cervix again, to everyone's horror, it has further dilated 3 - 4 cm and the membranes are bulging out although I did not have any contractions / labour pain. The drug can only be administered for dilation not more than 3cm and thus made me not eligible for it. The Dr. made me slept in transverse (head down, legs up) position. We were so worried that I just couldn't stop crying.

On the 4th day, the dr gave us 3 options to consider :

1) do nothing

2) continue with the medications to stop labour

3) do a surgery to stitch back the dilated cervix. Con is that the water bag might burst during the surgery and there is no guarantee that the stirching will work

Anyway, hb and I decided to go for option 3. So, within 2 hours, I was wheeled into the operation theatre. The surgery was successful but the question remained whether my body will accept the stitching and whether it will work.

Oh dear fluene!!! So many things has happened in such a short period! 26 weeks is definitely too early! I hope the stitching will help and I gues with lots of rest and less walking it might be better for u? Well I'm not a doctor and don't know what's best but I'm sure your doc has advised you. Hmm..it's funny how you get dilated so quickly and you don't really feel any contractions. Don't cry if not too 'kek dong' and affect your stitches or baby then no good. Think positive! I'm sure God will be helping you all the way. Take care!!!

Split the post so that I don't have to type all over again if the posting tak jadi.

After the surgery, the dr continued prescribing me with the drug to stop labour. But my blood pressure fell very low that it is not possible for me to take the drug anymore. I spent 6 nights in the labour ward in which there is no personal belongings allowed and no visitor allowed either. I was cut off from the world. All the time I just lied on the bed. Cannot get up for anything. Even passing urine also need to use bedpan.

2 days after the surgery, the dr checked the stitching and they are still intact. Dr. said 29 weeks is the miracle number that he has in mind for me. 33 weeks and beyond is bonus already. He then transferred me to normal maternity ward. So here I am. I will need to stay here till delivery. I have no problem with this as I feel safer in the hospital. The longer the better as the longer the babies are in my womb, the better their chances of survival.

Yesterday morning, I had some bleeding and I started to get panic again. Dr after Dr came to check on me. Luckily the bleeding stopped soon after and there's no contraction pain. So now I 'berkampung' in the hospital ward already.

oh fluene, hope everything ok. Dont stressed yourself, relax and rest more. It means that u need to stay in the hospital until delivery? wow it will take a few weeks am i right? so have you done all your preparation for your delivery and newborn baby?

Hi everyone! Just to let you all know that I have not been missing. He he!

The thing is, I had some pain at the cervix area on 14 July. It felt like the cervix is going to burst open when my babies move. Called my O&G and he asked me to come over for him to have a look. Upon examination, he found that my cervix had dilated 2cm. The dr was very concerned as I was only 26 weeks then and the babies are very much pre mature. He quickly referred me to UMMC (before that I was with him in UMSC). I was admitted into the labour ward. Ventilators for my babies were immediately reserved and sent to the labour ward for me.

Many O&G dr (besides my regular dr) came to talk to me about the risk of pre term labour. Even the paeds came to counselled me on the risks that my babies are facing.

I was given steroids to help my babies lungs to develop and also medications to try to stop the labour. Actually, I did not have any contractions. My cervix just dilated out of nothing. A nurse was stationed at side to monitor any contractions / tightening. My tummy tightened every 5 mins. I thought that was contraction but the nurse said it was only tightening. But then when the nurse said I am having contractions, the fact is, I did not feel anything at all. So, till now I can't differentiate between tightening and contractions. But as long as there is no pain, then should be ok. The 1st night passed without any drama and the tightening stopped around 3am.

The next day, the dr talked to me about a better drug to stop labour but it cost RM3k . Asked whether I can afford that or not. I agreed to it but when the dr checked my cervix again, to everyone's horror, it has further dilated 3 - 4 cm and the membranes are bulging out although I did not have any contractions / labour pain. The drug can only be administered for dilation not more than 3cm and thus made me not eligible for it. The Dr. made me slept in transverse (head down, legs up) position. We were so worried that I just couldn't stop crying.

On the 4th day, the dr gave us 3 options to consider :

1) do nothing

2) continue with the medications to stop labour

3) do a surgery to stitch back the dilated cervix. Con is that the water bag might burst during the surgery and there is no guarantee that the stirching will work

Anyway, hb and I decided to go for option 3. So, within 2 hours, I was wheeled into the operation theatre. The surgery was successful but the question remained whether my body will accept the stitching and whether it will work.

MacDonald stitch efficacy usually 50/50. If your pregnancy can go beyond 28th week, the survivor rate usually excellent. Pay for you

hi fluene,

all the best to you n good luck!! now you should be ard week 28, right? so tahan another few more weeks and everything will be allright. will be praying for you and must tell your babies must be obedient and stay in mummy's tummy longer, yeah!!

wow.. hospital stay till delivery..

lucky now u can get online.. else u wil be very boring...

now dr is monitoring u, i guess things shud be alright eh..

geezz..cervix can just dilated without realizing eh..

how u know that feeling of cervix gona burst or something like that??

Fluene, do take care and try not to worry too much as further stress and worry can affect the outcome of the prenatal care of your babies and the labour itself. My SIL gave birth to her second one at 26 weeks and the girl is doing fine - like any other child. Her first one was also a premie. I believe with modern medicine today, premies have a very good chance of surviving and thriving! *big hugs*

fluene, big hugs!

dont worry too much. i know its easier said than done.

i read some articles saying that if BB delivered after 26 weeks (premmie) chances of survival is extremely good :)

just stay positive and tell babies to hang on :)

:wub:

meantime just relax and rest.

which hospital u at?

Fluene,

I will pray for you too! "Berkampung" in hospital also never mind (my friend need to "berkampung" at home for 9 months) as long as all 3 of you is safe & sound!

Hi Fluene,

My causin gave birth to her twins at about 28wks, that time the 1st twins weight about 1kg and the second is less than 800gm. Both got lot of complication becoz of low birth rate, one with high blood pressure and another with heart murmur.Now they already 4 months old, and growing up healthier day by day just like normal baby.

So, take care and be confident.

Oh dear! Take care & hang in there Fluene.

The same thing happened to my MIL 21 years back, and the stitches worked for her. Just like what mei said with the modern medicine today, premies have a very good chance of surviving and thriving!

Fluene, the same thing happened to my fren too. Her cervix dilated at 30 weeks and she had to stay in the hospital till she gives birth. And it happened to her for both her 1st and 2nd child. Her gals are now 6 and 2 1/2 years old. We will all pray for you, take care!

Fluene, pls take care ! don't think too much, just have a good rest at the hospital, it doesn't matter u berkampung there till deliver as long as u & ur babies r fine !!!! ~hug~

Fluene, do you choose to natural birth or c-sec then? since you gonna stay in hospital till delivery.. The longer your bb stay in your womb the better.. Don't worry so much, there are professional dr. and nurse to help you there.. Take care!

Fluene: When I read your entry, my heart dropped. I am praying hard for you here, please take care and think positively.

Hi there Fluene,

Should your babies decide to be impatient to see the world, I just want you to be reassured that the Special Care Nursery (also know as SCN) at UMMC is excellent - especially the team under the Prof there. He is a very dedicated doctor.

I myself had contractions and was leaking amniotic fluid at 26 weeks. Held it for a few days with drugs at a private hospital. Then the doctor transfered me and I had an emergency C-section at UMMC. My baby came out (crying!! ) at 27 weeks. He only weighed 800+grams and was 1 foot (12inches) long. Along the way, he had to fight some infection, was on ventilation and other complication but was discharged 3 months later, a little after his due date - healthy. (I actually had a thread here at the forum when i delivered early...but was much too busy/worried at that time to update you girls). My baby is now 9 months old and is weighing 6-7kg. Adjusted age is 6 months old (preemies use adjusted age until about 2 years old). He is a big boy now - haha. I'm also still breastfeeding him.

Do try to relax - each day in your tummy counts. The sisters and the staff nurses at the maternity ward at UMMC were nice and kind to me too. I was impressed with my stay there.

Sunshine

Hi Fluene,

How r u doing now?

One of my best gal pals is also almost in the same predicament as you are, just slightly better. Her twins are around 28 weeks now and few weeks back, one of them started to engage, so she was placed on hospital leave immediately. We are also praying that her babies stay in the womb for as long as they can. A close family friend also gave birth to a preemie at 27 weeks at 800g and she's now a happy, healthy 2 year old!

Will pray hard for u. Do take care, and like wat others say, think positively, and talk to your babies more often (tell them not to come out so soon :))

Thanks everyone for your prayers and wishes as well as comforting words. I'm not going to reply by highlighting the nicknames one by one. So my reply will be very general, ok? (save time as I am given limited time to access internet).

It is comforting to know that there are so many premiees out there and are now living healthily. I am now 29 weeks. As what you all said, I talk to my babies everyday, ask them to be patient, be strong and stay in my tummy till full term. I agree that UMMC offers excellent services. I am very satisfied with them as well. Of course there are things that I would rather have it my way instead of theirs as they are all only for their convenience. But then, thinking back, the nurses here are just doing their jobs and I am not the only patient needing their care. All said and done, although the expertise here are excellent, I would rather have my babies coming to this world without complications.

I am not sure whether I will be delivering via vaginal or C sect. But then one of my baby is in breech position. So I guess it will be C sect for me. But I hope I don't have to think about this for many more weeks ahead.

The feeling of cervix going to burst open? Hmm... I felt some sharp pain which I have never felt before, especially when my babies move. When I stand/walk, there was intense pressure to the cervix and it is like something going to drop. I have these feeling again these few days. So now I just lie on the bed all day long and only stand/ walk whenever I go to the toilet.

My days in hospital is like this.

7 am - wake up, shower and read a bit.

8am - 9am breakfast, dr. coming for rounds

9am - 11:30am sleep

11:30am - 12pm read

12pm - 1pm lunch, read

1pm - 3pm sleep

3pm - 4pm afternoon tea, dr. coming for rounds

4pm - 5pm shower, read

5 pm - 6pm sleep,

6pm - 7pm dinner, hb coming to visit

7pm - 9pm watch dvd, read

9pm - 7am sleep

You all must be wondering how can a person sleep so much. I am wondering about this too. The thing is, I don't get much sleep at night because the moment I started to doze off, the nurses will come to check bp, fetal heartbeat, temp, etc. Also, I guess I am used to it already. I actually feel very very sleepy between 9am - 12pm.

I am already in the ward for so long that the doctors here are counting how many books I've read.