jess_kitkat

Comforter set or quilt cover?

hi gals,

need your expert advise in this matter! Hope you dont find my question silly :oops:

All the while me and hubby are sleeping in non air cond room. So, we use normal blanket only. For our new room, we want to install aircond. Bcos of tat, I want to buy comforter set. I want my bed to be like those in hotel, got "thick" type of blanket to cover ourselves. Problem is, I dont know which one to choose and how.

I went to sogo to survey today cos got sale. Got Akemi sales... comforter set (pillow case, bolster, bedsheet and comforter) selling for rm100-rm150 only. Then, the sales guy said, why not i buy "quilt cover"? I was like "wats tat?" He explained tat if i buy normal comforter set (which usually comes with colours and patterns), it's very bulky to keep in my wardrobe, and washing it will be hassle cos i need to put the entire heavy comforter in washing machine or go to laundry shop which will charge expensive. some more, i can't match the comforter with other bedsheet colour or design. so, if i want new design, i have to buy new comforter set again. then my "collection" will be very bulky.

Instead, he suggest I buy quilt cover set (pillow case, bolster, bedsheet and quilt cover). I can get the quilt/heavy blanket (duno wat its called) separately, also from Akemi at around rm70 after discount. so, he said next time if i want to mix and match my bedsheet with the quilt/heavy blanket, i can just buy quilt cover set. no need to buy another comforter set and stack the old one in my cabinet. Also, i can wash the cover easily in washing machine and it's also cheaper if i wash at laundry shop.

Seems like his suggestion is good, but I'm still undecided cos havent bought this stuff before. Can advise me?

Hi jess_kitkat,

Get the quilt cover. It is not advisable to put your comforter in your washing machine. You would need to send it for laundry. The quilt cover is better because you can wash it in your washing machine and hang it out to dry. I bought a comforter set but due to the trouble of washing the comforter, I ended up buying a quilt cover to put on my comforter. Easier to wash. :biggrin:

jess_kitkat,

Me and FH are also looking for quilt/comforter set. The SA is correct. The comforter set is quite bulky compare the the separate quilt. We can choose the thickness of the quilt if we buy the quilt separately. And we can change the quilt cover very often as well.

I saw a quilt in Ikea last year, not very thick and FH likes it because he doesn't like thick quilt as he scares of heat. We plan to drop by Ikea next month to survey again. We went to shopping complexes to survey before but most of them offer only comforter set which I can't change the quilt cover at all. When I asked whether they sell quilt cover, their answer always turned me down.

Happy shopping, ya!

Cheers! :wink:

i would definitely recommend quilt cover...easy maintenance and nicer material...the comforter set usually comes in faux silk or those rough cotton...if you buy quilt cover, you can go for high thread count bedsheet...its more comfortable...yes, you pay a bit more but these things last very long...

when buying your quilt, you have to make sure its for our weather...places like ikea will sell quilt for winter, summer and autumn...so you gotta feel it...otherwise you might end up buying the wrong one...

well i always buy the quilt cover sets these days. im an akemi fan too!~

i love their avant garde series which has awesome high thread count and made with Egyptian cotton and still comes in very reasonable pricing.

unfortunately this series is only available in anchor stores and not their own stand alone AND it only come is solid plain colours.

it doesnt have a quilt cover set and bed sheet n pillow cases are sold separately

what i did with my old bed sheet set which was a solid colour was to buy a matching Akemi quilt cover print set which doesnt include a bed sheet.

the good thing about doing this is that u have the contrast of a plain colour and a design motif on the whole bed layout.

we also have 4 pillows on the bed so 2 design motif and 2 plain colours, stack them over each other, pull down the quilt cover a little n tuck down.

you'll get a pretty combination of print n plain and still be able to make use of the old set ^__^

its like the pictures often featured on those pictures showing what the bedsheet looks like inside.

currently using akemi's quilt bamboo series with a dark grey plain set and

the green floral quilt set with a plain limey green plain set. <3

Thanks you ladies for sharing here... I get the useful info here as well on buying my quilt set.

Cheers! :wink:

thank you girls for the great advise! I will go for quilt cover set instead!

jess_kitkat,

You're most welcome. I must thank you also for opening this thread. Me too making up my decision on which type to buy after all the useful input from our jimuis here. :wub:

i have oledi bought the comforter set (novelle) during the mega sale period. i tink i have to buy a quilt cover to cover the comforter after my wedding nite..haha.. so i can avoid the hassle of washing the bulky comforter.

my question is, can any quilt cover fit my comforter? and, will the comforter dislocate inside the quilt? like they run out of the normal shape? pls advise :wacko3:

No need to tie, it wont run out of place. Just spread it as evenly as possible and when you are going to sleep, you only flip it to get into it.

But honestly, if you aint gonna on aircond all nite, then forget about it ba. Its quite useless. We bought a couple of quilt cover set and even 2 quilt. We used it for like 3months and when the electric bill came, we packed up and use back those old style blanket. We still on the aircond, for 2-3hours and then switch over to fan aftewards. Its not really that cold either unless you had it at max speed direct at your body whole night long. Besides, if your mattress protector is those wool type like the one I have, its enough keep your warm even with the thin blanket. Even fleece blanket is hot when we tried Akemi fleece blanket.

my friend went to sogo today, saw at concourse level got akemi sales..the quilt cover set (plain colour but with some darker patterns) selling at rm239 after 70% discount. But she heard her friends said akemi is not really good, colour will fade after a while..but this quilt cover set is a "higher end" of akemi..duno the quality lah..

then, she also saw Novelle/Jean Perry quilt cover set..after disc is between 180+ to 250+. quality not bad too...

I'm thinking of getting a quilt cover set (1 is enough for now, 2 is very costly), a cotton white quilt, a mattress protector, bolster and pillow cases cos i want to put 4 pillows on my bed i.e. 2 pillows using the cases from quilt cover set and 2 pillows with plain colour.

i dont really like those red wedding quilt cover sets..too chinese...maybe i'll get something maroon, pinkish or slightly reddish...

The one we bought for wedding is from Akemi higher end model. Its just a plain pink for the whole set. Simple and nice.

Those traditional chinese wedding bedding set can get quite expensive. If you have the money, you can buy it. Quite nice because it really stands out despite being old fashioned.

finally bought my quilt cover set from novelle/Jean Perry. 350 thread count. quite nice, soft and colour is ok too..with abit red colour on the pillows and end of the quilt. mom said dont want pink wor, cos pink is usually associated with mistress..and the saleswoman also said the same..haha

bought the white cotton quilt, mattress protector, bolster from jean perry too. and 2 plain pillow cases cos i want to put 4 pillows on the bed..so excited :biggrin:

Haha... depends on you lor. I dont care at all.

Anyway, the only thing to care is remember to make sure those bed sheet is 300mm or at least 250mm. When we bought those deep discount Akemi normal set, we didnt even knew about it. After bought then only my mom advise me. The one we bought for our wedding is 250mm so we thought all will fit. Luckily for us, our bed frame is those where the mattress sink into it. Thus those part which wasnt covered with the sheet is covered by the bed frame.

Haha... depends on you lor. I dont care at all.

Anyway, the only thing to care is remember to make sure those bed sheet is 300mm or at least 250mm. When we bought those deep discount Akemi normal set, we didnt even knew about it. After bought then only my mom advise me. The one we bought for our wedding is 250mm so we thought all will fit. Luckily for us, our bed frame is those where the mattress sink into it. Thus those part which wasnt covered with the sheet is covered by the bed frame.

oh isit? i also duno abt this requirement lah...not all bedsheet are the same isit? i must go and check it 1st..thanks andre!

I know that the question that I am going to ask can be found in google all over the place, but I still don't get it, so I would appreciate some answers , short or long, even a summary definite one would do.

What is the difference between Comforter and Quilt Cover ? Which are better ? Are the 2 both blankets like the one we use?