Bao B

When u plan to wean/already wean & how to wean?

BaoB, i think u and me are the only 2 wanna wean off the this time...i will slowly drag the time longer for the pumping session, 6-7 hours gap 4 times a day. what about you?

BaoB and Jacee, I am planning to wean my bb in 2 months time. He is 4 months old now and I feed him direct. I seldom pump. I plan to add a few session of formula and drop BF gradually but don't know when should I start doing it. I think it will be very hard for me to carry him cos he always turn to my breast whenever I carry him. Should I go away for a few days?

Jacee, ya I think only both of us thinking to wean at this moment but Jojo is going to wean when her bb is 6 months too ! but I'm sure there is oth mummies who did this before us, so I created this topic to hear from them....truly speaking I'm really so sad to think about it, feel I'm so bad to my bb,but really no choice ( but this is our choice,I know, hope those mummies who success to bf for longer time don't mind my topic here)....

Actually I already lenghten my pumping session since last weekend...only pumped in 7 to 8 hours but I can't reduce the pumping time like I said which mean I can't shorten the minutes to pump...if shorten, then I got "rock" boobs ! but some of the days, I can't lengthen even! boobs turn rock very soon ! but I got almost same supply like usual for that few days ! only when came to yesterday & today, my supply drop ! ....even I spent longer time to pump ( coz rock boobs again) but the supply really drops already ! milk not flow out! ohhh I should happy this time if thinking to wean BUT I'm getting sad again ! really heart break & think to cry when seeing milk not much to flow out ! the ques of am I going to wean soon running in my mind.....I'm really dilemma ....

After thinking up and down the oth day, I decide to wean when my bb is around 8 months but now the supply starts to drop so ...I can't reach 8 months liao I think.....soooooooo sad :(

Jojo, can share with us the reason for u to wean here ? just like us so tired with weak body and tired of rock / matistic pain or u got oth plan like expect to pregnant soon ?...coz u r direct feed so u have to do it slowly i think....do u think walk away few days can help ? how about if ur bb looking for u & crying? I'm not sure, sorry, can't give more comment but hope those experienced mums can give some comment/tips/guidelines here......

BaoB- I have a very selfish reason. Beside wanting to get pregnant soon the other reason is actually I wanted to travel overseas so many time but have to cancel my plan or postponed it. I can't bring my bb cos he is still small. Yes u can say that I can pump but how do I maintain its freshness?Example if I am taking a 5 hours flight do I pump in the aircraft toilet? It is not hygenic rite. If anyone have done it before please share with me on how to do it. Even if I want to go out with my friends I have to rush home to BF cos my breast is hard rock. I can only go out 3 to 4 hours max. But on the other hand I enjoy the bonding with my bb during BF. Moreover my bb prefer BM over formula. It breaks my heart too when I was thinking of weaning my bb so soon. I know a mother is suppose to love and give your bb unconditional. I am actually in a dilemma now. 

I'm also first time mummy, and not much experience here. But just like to share with you my plan of weaning my gal next year March. By that time, my gal will be 14 months. Currently, I'm planning to drop off one pumping session due to I have changed job starting next month, and only get to pump during lunch hour.

I'm quite worry that my supply will drop as my gal preferred EBM compared to FM. Sometimes close to evening when I'm not back from work yet, when EBM not sufficient, my mum also try let her take FM, but she dislike it and only feed a little. She previously only take FM in midnite feeding while she is sleeping, but now I have let her take FM once in the morning to start her getting used to it. In the coming few months, we going to slowly introduce more FM session and solid feeding (twice per day).

I'm also planning to stock up frozen EBM in fridge even though now my supply just enough for her one day feeding. This is for transition period when my supply drop later when I lengthen or reduce my pumping session.

I'm not sure whether my above plan is right or wrong. Just for sharing here, if anyone have better recommendation or experience, please share. Thanks.

BaoB- I have a very selfish reason. Beside wanting to get pregnant soon the other reason is actually I wanted to travel overseas so many time but have to cancel my plan or postponed it. I can't bring my bb cos he is still small. Yes u can say that I can pump but how do I maintain its freshness?Example if I am taking a 5 hours flight do I pump in the aircraft toilet? It is not hygenic rite. If anyone have done it before please share with me on how to do it. Even if I want to go out with my friends I have to rush home to BF cos my breast is hard rock. I can only go out 3 to 4 hours max. But on the other hand I enjoy the bonding with my bb during BF. Moreover my bb prefer BM over formula. It breaks my heart too when I was thinking of weaning my bb so soon. I know a mother is suppose to love and give your bb unconditional. I am actually in a dilemma now.

Oh Jojo, sorry to say ya, it is kinda selfish reason for u but I understand ur situation too want to travel but keeping postpone ...u asking about pumping in flight ? I thought there is a topic regarding it but I forgot what is the exact topic title..or u mb can pump and throw away when u travel ? then u still can maintain ur supply ! but I also know it is quite difficult and u 'll worry about pumping and ur milk for ur whole trip then can't relax ! but it is really great when we bf even direct feed or just pumping...ohhh so dilemma....so how r u now ?

Jacee, how r u ? do u lengthen ur pumping session ? I lengthen it during weekend & only pump mb 7 to 8 hours gap so 1 day just pump 3 times but weekday, I still pump 4 times per day and the gaps is ard 5 hours due to weekday I wake up early than weekend so can't lengthen too much....my supply drops recently for 4 days already :(

Really really heart-break to do so......don't knw it drops because of I lengthen pumping or I so stress recently...

YS Lee, wow! at least u plan to bf ur bb till 14 mths ! not bad !

I think ur plan shld b ok gua...wonder why no oth experienced mum to share their view here ? or maybe all MB mums r long term in bf ?????

BaoB, i also lengthen my pumping session to 8-9 hours sometime even 10 hours! basically 3 times a day, supply or course lesser compare last time when i pump 4-5 times a day. i think my supply sometime not enough for my baby, need to use the freezer stock. i can understand your feeling, cos same as mine...when supply drop we will feel sad but at the same time we want to wean off...hai...another question here, when you lengthen the pumping session will you get mastitis/ breast hard like rock? i got fever again last friday...really dont know what is the cause, mom ask me to go see doctor..when i got fever i will tell myself wanna stop breast feed, it was so pain and very tired due to the fever and i need to take panadol. so how are you now? how many oz you can get each pumping session?

Jacee, same with me here ! My boobs always hard like rock when I tried to lengthen my pumping! but I never(touchwood) fever!

Last Sat night, it was just like a rock & I hardly raise up my hand ! even I tried to pump longer to ease it but failed ! then I went to sleep again coz so tired ( like what I do previously)...luckily it gone the next day ! when having rock breast, I also like u to think to stop bf !

But today I feel so uncomfortable! like almost falling sick, cold, less appetite,headache & no energy ! don't know it relates to pumping ?...sooooo tired !

My supply actually not so much compared to other mummies here I think..I only got 4-5oz per pumping session (around 20 minutes for both breast) previously ! sometimes get 5oz + if sleep longer over the night! but these few days, I got less than 4oz per pumping during day time ( no matter how long I pump, sometimes I pumped for 30minutes) :( & when wake up in the early morning after long night sleep, I only got 4 oz plus a little bit! obviously it drops recently ! ...my supply definitely can't be enough for my bb but I mixed up fm to feed him since he is born lah...How about ur supply ? how much u get each time ?

i got about 8oz if every 8 hours pumping session, if 5-6 hours can only get 5-6oz..total can get only 24-25oz per day now...last month can get 35oz a day...so supply really drop. i fed my baby breast milk exclusively, now need to add freezer stock for 1 feeding.

BoaB, My milk production suddenly drop this few days. I still feed my bb as per normal, every 1.5 to 2 hours during daytime. My bb was crying so much cos when I bf him nothing came out. I don't know if this is good or not but when I see my bb crying for milk my heart was arching. Very sakit hati cos he likes bf. I am in a dilemma already. I need to boost milk production asap.

Jojo, so I thk u can't wean at the moment liao...I can feel how your heartache is when ur bb crying for no milk to come out..

Jojo & Jacee,

How are u,mummies? still in the process to wean ?

To let both of u know, I still bf now...just reduce pumping session to 3 times per day since I thk last month but supply just drops a little bit so I can't totally wean naturally now ! don't know when it will totally wean off ? I hope it happen next month (even still heartache lah)..

BaoB, I have started feeding my bb with cereal once a day. But I am still bf him as per normal. I don't know when I can wean him but hopefully when he is teething I can slowly wean him off. Must do it slowly la. Did your bb drink less milk when you started semi solid?

BaoB, I have started feeding my bb with cereal once a day. But I am still bf him as per normal. I don't know when I can wean him but hopefully when he is teething I can slowly wean him off. Must do it slowly la. Did your bb drink less milk when you started semi solid?

He not really drink less milk when I started semi solid, I just skip 1 time milk or drag the time a while to feed him milk! but since I started solid food,I changed his feeding pattern coz my paed advised me can increase either EBM OR FM from 5oz every 2 hours feeding to 7oz every 3 to 4 hours feeding !..& I just skip 1 time milk if feed solid.

How about ur bb ?

I started solid on her since she is month 5, not everyday only rice cereal and fruit puree (apple, pear,papaya, pumpkin)

The reason I choose commercial rice cereal over homemade porridge is that the rice cereal contains iron and other vitamins. After consult the dr, he say iron can be obtain from her milk, so dun have to worry.

Now that she is 6 month, I make plain porridge for her , adding mash veg (potato, tomato,pumpkin) & ikan bilis powder. In fact, I'm making extra porridge as my breakfast too. Cooking them in slow cooker, so easy! I only wean her once a day (normally her noon meal).

To be on the safe side, normally the 3 or 4 days rule are recommended b4 introduce BB to new food, Not all food i do that ,

eg : yogurt/ cheese (dairy food i feed every alternate day or 3 times a week). Yesterday introduce her to yogurt (yoplait Baby 's yogurt) but is a bit sour than normal yogurt (coz say no sugar added)

Overall, i prefer giving her porridge as I can easily add other veg into the porridge. For rice cereal, I have try adding potato but the texture is much drier. Fruit juice also ok

Like Bao B, I just skip one milk replace with solid.

BaoB, i have reduce my pumping session to 2 times a day...10am and 10pm. supply also drop so much...but life is better as can go out longer, dont have to rush home to pump..actually i'm quite lazy to pump..bad. so introduce FM to my baby last week so now feed her FM mix EBM..and with rice cereal and puree..she had tried avocado, pumpkin, banana, sweet potato, broccoli, carrot, apple. i plan to cook porridge next week.

Jacee,

oh u can lengthen ur pumping session for so long ? not engorge anymore (touchwood) ? so how much dropping ?

ahhh by reading what u gave ur bb, remind me of I forget to give my bb fruits ...:(

so ur bb likes all the food u introduced ?

BaoB, so far ok...only can get 5oz each pumping so total 10oz a day only. definately not enough for baby so i need to feed FM. what about you? great that u still keep pumping for 3 times a day...i'm a lazy mom..ha! as for feeding solid, always a messy feed...i don't know whether it is common but my baby wont open mouth when i try to feed, sometime she will make like wanna vomit, use her tounge to push the spoon...but according to bbsitter, she finish everything i prepare.

Hi! Need urgent help here. I have breastfeed my bb for 1mth and decided to stop breastfeeding. I had red swollon lumps on both breast - painfull like crazy.... tried use hot water and massage to try unblocked the lump but still won't go away... finally saw dr. today and Dr. gave me 2 pill of Dostinex 0.5mg (Cabergoline) to stop milk production. I took 1 pill today. Dr. also prescribe antibiotic as mild infections...My boobs now hard like rock solid. very very painful... the lumps still there. I stop all pumping and direct breastfeed to bb... tried use hot water and massage on the lumps and hand squeeze milk out..boobs soften abit... any1 can advice on:

1) what method to remove the lumps?

2) How long will the milk dried up?

3) my boobs like giant watermelon...very uncomfortable.. how long after stop breastfeeding will the boobs return back to normal size or will it remains like the size it is now? :wacko3:

i'm really sorry if my post offended any1 here. i really wanted to breastfeed my bb till at least 2 mths but soo many things happening around.. whenever i see my bb im really sad and cry that i'm a bad mum that cant give the best to her.

BaoB, so far ok...only can get 5oz each pumping so total 10oz a day only. definately not enough for baby so i need to feed FM. what about you? great that u still keep pumping for 3 times a day...i'm a lazy mom..ha! as for feeding solid, always a messy feed...i don't know whether it is common but my baby wont open mouth when i try to feed, sometime she will make like wanna vomit, use her tounge to push the spoon...but according to bbsitter, she finish everything i prepare.

oh actually I started to pump only 3times per day since end of last mth-Oct! & last two days ( I busy & forget) I had skip 1 time so also like u, pump 2 times per day but surprisingly also no engorgement liao ! quite sad too!

& when I checked back my recording, my supply drop since last month end when I started to pump only 3 times per day & drop again recently...lastime 5 to 5.5 oz is my max supply per pumping( not big supplier since earlier) but now drop till only get less than 4oz or sometimes just hit 4oz or a bit more per pumping !!!! haiz....so sad :/ but this is what we choose to wean...

For feeding solid, luckily my bb not so mess or should say mb I know his character & when he want to grap the spoon or bowl or when he want to turn his head away, all I know ! so can avoid messy feeding ! & my bb is quite a big eater so he get ready to eat whatever I feed him ! or demand more sometimes if I still eating beside him...:p

for nanny, I'm not sure whtr we can believe them or not (even mine is my relative)! she said she feed my bb on bed ! put him sleep highly on pillow & he not even move & can eat & finish easily the porridge I prepared ! OMG! on bed ! I can't imagine that ! but as long as my bb not get choke then I can't control what she is doing to my bb! but for me, I put him on high chair now & he really can eat & finished easily :)

So can u believe what ur nanny said ? haiz..we only can open one eye & close one eye loh....no choice!

Hi! Need urgent help here. I have breastfeed my bb for 1mth and decided to stop breastfeeding. I had red swollon lumps on both breast - painfull like crazy.... tried use hot water and massage to try unblocked the lump but still won't go away... finally saw dr. today and Dr. gave me 2 pill of Dostinex 0.5mg (Cabergoline) to stop milk production. I took 1 pill today. Dr. also prescribe antibiotic as mild infections...My boobs now hard like rock solid. very very painful... the lumps still there. I stop all pumping and direct breastfeed to bb... tried use hot water and massage on the lumps and hand squeeze milk out..boobs soften abit... any1 can advice on:

1) what method to remove the lumps?

2) How long will the milk dried up?

3) my boobs like giant watermelon...very uncomfortable.. how long after stop breastfeeding will the boobs return back to normal size or will it remains like the size it is now? :wacko3:

i'm really sorry if my post offended any1 here. i really wanted to breastfeed my bb till at least 2 mths but soo many things happening around.. whenever i see my bb im really sad and cry that i'm a bad mum that cant give the best to her.

Pinky,Sorry to hear what happen to u now...well, hope I can anws some of ur ques here:

1) to remove lumps, u have to let bb latch or pump more frequent instead of u stop it now (even if u want to wean also can't do it at once & stop pump totally! since u so suffer now...like few of us here, even want to wean also have to slowly cut down pumping session but not totally not pump in a day !

2) I think our milk can't dried up suddenly...it takes times ! for me & oth here, even we skip 1 or 2 pumping session per day, our milk still not yet dried up !

3) for the size, I think it depends ! but I believe most ppl back to their size before if it is no more engorgement! like mine, almost back to previous size & I not feel so full already !

ok lastly, if u think u really can't bf for long then u can't ! if u think u can, u can!

don't force urself till u too stress up ! coz u still need energy to take care ur bb !

All the best & hope I helped u some....