AnsonC

Book Case

Hi All,

I am currently looking for bookcase for my new home. Dimension 6 or 7ft by 6 ft, recently went to Ikea and saw Billy, but it seems the material used is to sturdy, do you have any good place to shop? am even considering a nice second hand shelf with nice wood...

Hi All,

I am currently looking for bookcase for my new home. Dimension 6 or 7ft by 6 ft, recently went to Ikea and saw Billy, but it seems the material used is to sturdy, do you have any good place to shop? am even considering a nice second hand shelf with nice wood...

Do you have a budget? Ever consider getting a custom built one? If you find one...would appreciate you letting us know...as I'm quite interested as well

Im also looking for it....My hb & I also worried about the quality of Billy whether can or not support the books we have cau we really have a lot of books and all very thick & heavy....

this is what I found -

Indonesian Teak wood - 4 ft * 6ft RM975 (quote# 2220) contact no. 03-79639294 - a shop at Sg. Buloh

Indonesian Teak wood - 3 ft * 6.6ft RM1,200

So they are too expensive

Outside Jln Klang Lama, I went to two furniture shops,

Shop 1 - 4ft * 7ft full rubber wood - RM630 including delivery

4ft * 7ft partial rubber wood (use card board as base) - RM550 including delivery

Shop 2 - 5ft * 6.5 ft - RM550 including delivery

i got my bookcase from furniture shop. those are like modular system, which u can select ur ideal compartment, mainly used for wardrobe. but i bought this type as my bookcase. i think it's mdf material, white colour, frosted glass door, built-n aluminium handle, 4ft x 6ft, RM1700. cheaper than i asked contractor to custom-made of RM2800. most important is, i look for movable 1 due to structure of room.

Hb and I almost bought the Billy bookcase but it's not sturdy enough. The bookcase must be drilled to the wall to avoid it from collapsing forward should it be top-heavy or someone goes and rattle it. We have a 2 yr old daughter so not taking the risk. We finally got a bookcase from Red Apple during a sale. RM890. Red Apple Puchong branch having sale now.

Hb and I almost bought the Billy bookcase but it's not sturdy enough. The bookcase must be drilled to the wall to avoid it from collapsing forward should it be top-heavy or someone goes and rattle it. We have a 2 yr old daughter so not taking the risk. We finally got a bookcase from Red Apple during a sale. RM890. Red Apple Puchong branch having sale now.

peipei,

what is the dimension/size of your bookcase?

for storing books, do you all prefer without door/cover? I like it this way, but then the big concern is that dust will collect there fast, and not easy to clean one..if buy those with sliding door, would be more expensive i think? what do you all choose regarding this? pls share..thanks.

for storing books, do you all prefer without door/cover? I like it this way, but then the big concern is that dust will collect there fast, and not easy to clean one..if buy those with sliding door, would be more expensive i think? what do you all choose regarding this? pls share..thanks.

i prefer bookcases with doors..same concern as yours, dust accumulation..tak larat wanna wipe off every few days/week..and for parents, it'll be a good idea to get ones with doors that can be locked..kids tend to get very curious and also to prevent itchy hands frm scribbling or drawing anything on the books..

whyteyee, thanks for replying. yes indeed, really tak larat to wipe often, unless when got maid. but even so, wil be afraid she might make the books wet or something. yes, I got child too, am afraid she take out books and tear or draw on them.

so expensive to get a bookcase? rm800+? i have only budgeted about rm200+ to rm300+ for a medium sized bookcase, preferably with sliding door. where can i get such? i also got a child, so must be sturdy and won't fall down one, this is very important requirement....pls share..

recently saw big bookcase with or without cover at a furniture shop at puncak jalil, only priced at rm200+ for ard 4ft x 6ft+, din't get the exact measurement but I was feeling the prices were very cheap when I saw those. Yet buy. Yesterday also went to Ikea, and wonder if I should get from the furniture shop or Ikea. Not sure what material used for each, even ask also i might not know what quality is that. any recommendation? Ikea now got those bookcase in which you can slot in the boxes, looks nice, but I also saw got such things at the furniture shop I went. Pls share, thanks.

my bf used IKEA billy for years already and still going strong. he likes it very much. try to get the deeper ones cos that will be more stable. only RM200+ for one

he checks on weight (make sure it's heavy and not light and fragile material) and the center point (curve or not)

IKEA-Storage-furniture_CFE3086F.jpg

margarita90, do u mean tis rack? i bought it lately..haha but not as bookcase. i put it inside my storeroom.

davinci, YES! it looks very nice, and I like that can put all sorts of boxes in and create like drawers coz i hate the dust accumulation. do you use those boxes? how many ft x ft is this? i din't note down. how much was it? my storeroom very small, i am thiking if should get it for my study room for books + some stuffs

hi margarita90,

it got 2 size,

1) Width 185 cm ;Depth 39 cm ;Height 185 cm - RM699

2) Width 149 cm ;Depth 39 cm ;Height 149 cm - RM499

i bought tis box. lotsa of them! but definitely will accumulated dusk one..since it's w/o cover.

40168200.jpg

i bought the rm699 , but hb too lazy to carry them , so paid rm70 for d transport fee + rm30++ for d installation fee.

so ended up tis one cost us RM800+. but ok la.. at least now my storeroom is more organised ... :wub:

davinci, so you bought 6ft x 6ft at nearly rm700. i think i saw almost similar at the furniture shop i went to, just not sure of the price coz i seen many there, with different sizes and types. but i don't think it's anything near to rm700. davinci, do you know what wood is used for this? and whether or not it's known to be sturdy? thanks..

margarita90

err seriously i dunno what wood it made of woh... but it quite sturdy. they gave u the "plate" to lock d cabinet on to the wall if u worry it will fall down. since mine is quite tall.

haha i din survey much ..but i guess the price ok quo. but if outside u can manage to get d same price..worth ler..at least u save the transport fee.

IKEA-Storage-furniture_CFE3086F.jpg

margarita90, do u mean tis rack? i bought it lately..haha but not as bookcase. i put it inside my storeroom.

davinci, where do u bought this? can PM me?