Sign in to follow this  
fluene

Managing Colicky Babies

I read that colicky babies often cry in the evening. My babies are exactly like that. They are very quiet and able to sleep peacefully during the day. But once evening comes, they will start crying for no reason. Sometimes we can soothe them but other times, we will need to feed them till they are full and get tired, then only they will fall asleep. I wonder is this colic? Anyone has hands on experience with colicky babies? What can we do to soothe them? The more they cry, the more air will go in their tummy. Dr prescribed colic drops for them. But I feel that their conditions worsen after taking the drops so we stopped giving them. Written in books that colic will go away after 3 months. Does it mean 3 months from the baby's birth date or from the day the colic started? My babies are pre mature. So, do we count the 3 months from their actual birth date or their EDD?

On the other hand, feel very 'sam tong' to see tears forming at the babies eyes.

How to know if it's colic is this - if your babies have inconsolable crying for hours at least three times a week and if they draw their knees up to their chest when they cry.

Eva used to cry in the evenings up till after her first two weeks here in Singapore and it wasn't because she was colicky. It was because she had problems adjusting to day-night time. It started at the hospital - everything would be fine when it's super bright and all but when the sky outside starts to darken, the sun sets and the room is all pitch black, she'd start crying, fussing and even wailing. During summer, it was 9pm and she would fuss all the way till nearly midnight sometimes. If I get lucky, she would be okay by 10pm. It got quite bad at my ILs place in France because of the move as well. There was one night where she wailed non-stop instead of her usual cry and it was really heartbreaking. Even *I* ended up crying from the stress.

What usually quiets her down is us carrying her AND walking (can't stay still otherwise she'll cry and fuss) or feeding her (coz feeding calms the both of us). Sometimes my HB would put her in the car seat and drive her around just to give her a break from the crying and let her sleep (as well as give me and him a break).

She's alright now, btw. She'd sleep/doze off during our evening strolls and then after a feed, continue to snooze or keep herself occupied by looking at her toys or sucking her thumb. :lol:

ZT used to cry almost every night (sometimes until wee hours lagi :s) for 1st 2 months. Her problem was gassiness. She will only stop crying if we carry her & walk (just like Eva) or I breastfeed her, so she's practically hanging from my boob all the time. Another thing I found that kinda calm her was putting her straight up against my shoulder (macam she's upright). I know a lot of people are concern cos baby is still soft but that's the way she love to be burped & carry most of the time & she seems to feel better so I just continue to do so. She stopped crying so much between 2nd & 3rd month.

Should be counting from 3 months from birth date but I am not sure for preemie babies.

My baby also used to cry every night, and can clearly know that is not hyngry cry, her cry is near to screaming, sometime continue for few hours, Dr prescribed her Dentinox, i think is a anti-colic med, but no effect on her, my mum ask me to give her the gripe water, and i let her drink a bit, about 1.5ml, and this one can clam her down. but i don know any side effect of this gripe water.

My baby also used to cry every night, and can clearly know that is not hyngry cry, her cry is near to screaming, sometime continue for few hours, Dr prescribed her Dentinox, i think is a anti-colic med, but no effect on her, my mum ask me to give her the gripe water, and i let her drink a bit, about 1.5ml, and this one can clam her down. but i don know any side effect of this gripe water.

That's the medicine dr prescribed for my babies too. No effect on them as well. How long does it take for your baby to calm down after taking the gripe water. You let your baby drink it only once or every day?

i gave my dotter woods gripe water + bo ying compound daily.

on top of these... do try below which i find pretty useful.

use the Rui Yee Oil put on your palm, rub on both palms till hot and rub on bb's stomach area. gently push downward like chinese character 8 from the end of bb's rib cage all the way to waist.

like 3-4 times, try to gently do circle massage around bb's tummy.

then final part is fold up bb's both legs and let bb's knee cap touch tummy for few times.

and final result shud be farting....

i hope it helps.

the first week was quite bad for me too...my baby will cry from midnight to about 3 to 4am before settling down...i was giving him gripe water twice a day...it ddint help if you ask me...so i started giving him Dentinox, once a day at night and gripe water in the morning...it helps but he is still very gassy...sometimes middle of the night after his feed he will be so unsettled that i would have to pick him up at least a few times to wind him...putting him in a upright position really makes him feel much better...he will even sleep soundly...the minute i put him back in his crib, he starts making all the noises from grunting and so on...

i read that colic normally starts when baby is about 3 weeks old to about 6 weeks old...my baby is 3 weeks this week...keeping my fingers crossed...

an old nurse in clinic taught us how to see whether bb is a lot of wind or not.

- see bb's lip. if the surrounding is whitish colour = wind in stomach

my mama's method is using finger to tap on bb's stomach. if the sound is like thump thump thump... mean wind.

to counter all these, try to stir the milk with chopstick or spoon instead of shaking bcos it create a lot of small bubbles.

try not to feed bb facing fan or rather put it off the fan.

That's the medicine dr prescribed for my babies too. No effect on them as well. How long does it take for your baby to calm down after taking the gripe water. You let your baby drink it only once or every day?

The gripe water take effect very fast, like in few mins, she already fall asleep, i only give her when she is fussy, normally once in few days, but my mum say give her everyday...but before i let her drink, i also apply oil to her tummy, rub downward, she will be fart alot after that.

I read about colicky babies and normally they will cry late afternoon or evening time.

But Violet will cry after woke up from sleep or before sleep. She is just 1 mth old and now entering her 2nd mth old.

I don't think she got colic, right?

After I fed her (either breastfeed or bottle feed) she will calm down a while then start to fuss again. aiks ..

This is my nightmare!!! i got this experience....my gal cried everyday nite at 12am til 4am...sometime til 7am!!!!started when she was 1mths+ old,til she 4mths!this was our most suffer day!we hv to carried her,comforted her,the last way wat we can do is drive her go jalan jalan...cos enviroment inside of the car almost the same when they were inside our womb.(i read it form net)everyday 5mins b4 12am,we got ready n seat bside her cot,at 12am...war start!!

when my gal got this problem,the "ru yi you" oso cnt help!we only can comfort her,she cry til face bcome red n no sound!so scary,now i recall stil feel scary n suffer.i almost kena sakit murung d!my hb carry her for whole nite walk here n there,let her sleep on his body,sing lah,talk to her lah,all useless!until she tired,n slowly fall sleep again.......n.....war end!but.....to be continued.....

anyone know where to buy colic drops? i try to find in pharmacy and departmental store but dun have also. wat brand recommended?

I read about colicky babies and normally they will cry late afternoon or evening time.

But Violet will cry after woke up from sleep or before sleep. She is just 1 mth old and now entering her 2nd mth old.

I don't think she got colic, right?

After I fed her (either breastfeed or bottle feed) she will calm down a while then start to fuss again. aiks ..

chances are it is not colic la... she is just fussing a bit.. i experienced that wit my baby till he was 3mo... after that he is calmer and easier to manage... now he fusses before sleeping when we are at ILs place, cos of the new environment

gerezma,

*nod nod* that's how I feel, she is just fussing a little sometime and need ppl attention and to entertain her. =)

She is also kinda impatient with milk time and every bb does ah =P

gerezma,

*nod nod* that's how I feel, she is just fussing a little sometime and need ppl attention and to entertain her. =)

She is also kinda impatient with milk time and every bb does ah =P

hehe thats their way of communication in telling 'im hungry.. uwaahhhhh'

anyone know where to buy colic drops? i try to find in pharmacy and departmental store but dun have also. wat brand recommended?

I just got it at the nearby pharmacy only. Maybe u shud try other pharmacy shop. Brand recommended ? i m not sure with the brand name, but the packaging box is white and green in color with a baby image.

oooo...now i noe not only my bb likes to cry & stay alert during midite...looks like this is their 'habit' huh...

my bb will start to eee eh from her 2-3am feed till morning 7am!!!

i tot she was hungry too so kept feeding her...wuakakakakakakaka...

she wil eee eh --> cry --> shout --> scream until loose her voice...

i had no choice but to introduce pacifier to calm her...then i bought 惊风散 for her too...

if problem continue i think cradle will be added...

oooo...now i noe not only my bb likes to cry & stay alert during midite...looks like this is their 'habit' huh...

my bb will start to eee eh from her 2-3am feed till morning 7am!!!

i tot she was hungry too so kept feeding her...wuakakakakakakaka...

she wil eee eh --> cry --> shout --> scream until loose her voice...

i had no choice but to introduce pacifier to calm her...then i bought 惊风散 for her too...

if problem continue i think cradle will be added...

she sleeps more at day time is it? my baby oso like that.. 12pm -4pm he used to sleep like nothing.. used to force his to wake up for feeding.. and nite time, 12am onwards he'd cry and cry to be carried, padahal me and hubby so tired wanna sleep!! i used to be so frustated.. hahah

I think you have to teach them to adjust to our night-day pattern. Babies in the womb have a different pattern - the opposite, that is during the day, they'll sleep and at night, they'll be active. So it's up to us to train them slowly to adapt. Sometimes it can be frustrating so the key is to be patient (cannot teach patience loh) and understanding plus determination.

qarezma, i think so...she is soooo lovely during day time bcoz no cranky & very cooperative...only make noise when we 1 2 sleep =.=

i m frust too when i duno how to handle her...but i feel kesian for her when she is awake doing nothing...i feel bad that i leave her alone while i njoying my sleep...so i will teman her lo...

mei, how to train them?

play with them during day time & make them stay alert, so they r tired n sleep thru during nite time?

qarezma, i think so...she is soooo lovely during day time bcoz no cranky & very cooperative...only make noise when we 1 2 sleep =.=

i m frust too when i duno how to handle her...but i feel kesian for her when she is awake doing nothing...i feel bad that i leave her alone while i njoying my sleep...so i will teman her lo...

mei, how to train them?

play with them during day time & make them stay alert, so they r tired n sleep thru during nite time?

u can help them to differentiate the nite/day environment..

daytime let her sleep in full daylight, with tv/radio in the background

night time before bed time, let the environment be quiet and dark...

there are plenty of other ideas websites, eg:

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/sleeping...ewbornsleep.htm

most importantly u gotta be patient and endure some nights so disturbed sleep.. but it will only get better :)

Help! Chloe is not sleeping well at night now. She has been like that ever since we arrived in KL. She will wake up crying and I'll need to carry her and walk around then once she settle I'll sit and feed her milk but milk haven't touch her mouth she cry and kick already. Normally in Melb she will just turn left and right and that's the cue to show she's hungry and ready for her milk then I just feed her and she will fall back to sleep. Now over here my deprivation for sleep is even worse!