Sign in to follow this  
fluene

Managing Colicky Babies

Help! Chloe is not sleeping well at night now. She has been like that ever since we arrived in KL. She will wake up crying and I'll need to carry her and walk around then once she settle I'll sit and feed her milk but milk haven't touch her mouth she cry and kick already. Normally in Melb she will just turn left and right and that's the cue to show she's hungry and ready for her milk then I just feed her and she will fall back to sleep. Now over here my deprivation for sleep is even worse!

oh no, i think she is aware of the new environment, maybe thats causing the fuss. How long has she been this way? Does she fall asleep easily?

next week im taking sanju back to JB after 3 months, i am quite worried abt potential fussing too

My hb keep asking me to bring my bb back to jhr too, looks like i need to delay till next year CNY when she's 1 yr old. Won't get shock with new environment. hehe

It could be that it's a new environment, Diana. Did you bring anything that she's used to like a soft toy? The first time I went back to KL, Eva was like Chloe - always crying and it took forever for her to sleep. So next time, I brought her favourite soft toy and things got better; she would hug her toy to sleep, etc. Now that we moved to our new place, she surprisingly adjusted very quickly - I guess it's because her crib and room things are the same (just the other furniture is different).

It could be that it's a new environment, Diana. Did you bring anything that she's used to like a soft toy? The first time I went back to KL, Eva was like Chloe - always crying and it took forever for her to sleep. So next time, I brought her favourite soft toy and things got better; she would hug her toy to sleep, etc. Now that we moved to our new place, she surprisingly adjusted very quickly - I guess it's because her crib and room things are the same (just the other furniture is different).

i wish i could get sanju to hug his soft toy to sleep.. the moment i hand him the tiger/bolster he ends up playing with them, rather than sleeping.. am i doing it wrong?

one good thing is, the bed will be similar, and also same night light, hopefully that would soothe him...

Slowly loh, last time Eva was the same as well. Give her the soft toy, she just ignore or throw around. Then I read from The Sears that should introduce just as she wants to nap and say something like "(toy name) night night, (baby name) night night". So I started going "Baba night night, Eva night night" - Baba coz her soft toy is a sheep - every night since she was around 3 mths old. Sometimes I feel silly but never mind la, don't care la. She started hugging it around 6 mths or so, I think - can't remember. Now it comforts her as well as help her sleep too.

Slowly loh, last time Eva was the same as well. Give her the soft toy, she just ignore or throw around. Then I read from The Sears that should introduce just as she wants to nap and say something like "(toy name) night night, (baby name) night night". So I started going "Baba night night, Eva night night" - Baba coz her soft toy is a sheep - every night since she was around 3 mths old. Sometimes I feel silly but never mind la, don't care la. She started hugging it around 6 mths or so, I think - can't remember. Now it comforts her as well as help her sleep too.

awww i see.. so sanju is not so weird huh.. i use his tiger (named 'jabulani') to play while i shower.. maybe thats why he's so excited in playing rather than sleeping huh... perhaps i shd get a new sleeping buddy... otherwise sanju likes to tug onto my sleeve or my pillow case while sleeping away

Diana, Ally was the same as well when we went over to Perth. Before that we didn't really have to pat her to sleep. We just lay her down on her cot, turn off the lights and leave the room, and she will fall asleep herself. But when we were in Perth, we had to pat her to sleep, sometimes up to an hour.

When we came back to KL, she still wanted to be patted to sleep. Became quite tiring coz sometimes she cries in the middle of the night and she'll only go back to sleep after we've patted her. It's been 2 weeks now. Only recently she's going back to her usual routine. Now she no longer need patting for her daytime naps. Night time, still need to pat for a short while...but at least she doesn't wake up crying in the middle of the night anymore.

All I can say is bear with it for the moment. It is due to the new environment. Hopefully she will go back to her usual sleeping routine soon.

Help! Chloe is not sleeping well at night now. She has been like that ever since we arrived in KL. She will wake up crying and I'll need to carry her and walk around then once she settle I'll sit and feed her milk but milk haven't touch her mouth she cry and kick already. Normally in Melb she will just turn left and right and that's the cue to show she's hungry and ready for her milk then I just feed her and she will fall back to sleep. Now over here my deprivation for sleep is even worse!

Mabel,

It's been 5 days so far. She's better now during the day - she sleeps longer than when we just arrived but still fusses before she sleeps. It's only at night that she wakes up in the middle of the night crying when she normally doesn't. I brought her bolster and tiny pillow back for her. Even brought back her mat, cds and bumbo chair for her so she feels 'at home'.

qarezma,

She used to sleep easily back in Melbourne! Like I'll put her on her bed and then let her hug her pillow then pat pat her on the shoulder then she'll sleep alreayd. Now it's like a war! Have to catch her and position her to sleep and quickly pat her then she'll slowly fall asleep. Night time is worse she'll roll all over the bed and play past her bedtime and it doesn't help when my mom says that I'm forcing her to sleep early!!!

Ally,

Huh 2 weeks??? wah so long!! I hope Chloe will get better at night then I don't have to worry lol and so I can have a bit of me time while my mom takes care of her! I was hoping to get more sleep while I'm back here coz when I go back to Melb I know I will be deprived of it again!

Arghh, I'm having sleepless nights now coz my baby has a looot of gas. When we rub the ru yi oil, she'll fart a lot and sometimes burp. When I feed her, sometimes I can hear wind in her stomach. It was so bad tonight that I ended up feeding her almost every half hour to an hour to calm her down. My HB is so frustrated he's gone downstairs to sleep, grrr.

My CL asked to buy bao yin dan to give her. I am reluctant to give traditional medicine to a baby so young but seeing her cry every night is quite heartbreaking. Does anyone know whether this has any side effects for babies? Or is gripe water or colic drops better? I've read somewhere too that colic is caused by too frequent feeds where the previous feed has not been digested before bb takes her next feed. So does that mean that if I feed her more often to comfort her, I actually make her colic worse? Are there any other solutions to colic?

Arghh, I'm having sleepless nights now coz my baby has a looot of gas. When we rub the ru yi oil, she'll fart a lot and sometimes burp. When I feed her, sometimes I can hear wind in her stomach. It was so bad tonight that I ended up feeding her almost every half hour to an hour to calm her down. My HB is so frustrated he's gone downstairs to sleep, grrr.

My CL asked to buy bao yin dan to give her. I am reluctant to give traditional medicine to a baby so young but seeing her cry every night is quite heartbreaking. Does anyone know whether this has any side effects for babies? Or is gripe water or colic drops better? I've read somewhere too that colic is caused by too frequent feeds where the previous feed has not been digested before bb takes her next feed. So does that mean that if I feed her more often to comfort her, I actually make her colic worse? Are there any other solutions to colic?

dont know abt traditional meds, but the last time i checked with my paed when i tot my baby was colicky, he said that the effects of gripe water on baby's gar/wind is very minimal. If u feel she is pretty affected by the gas/wind, better see a paed, they will give colic drops

Maybe you can try feeding Eva in a football position or semi-upright to reduce the colic as well as carry her tummy down - forgot the name of the position. It helps calm them down. I used to carry her upright against my shoulder after every feed to minimize the colic and encourage her to burp.