Sign in to follow this  
wsyrinrin

Tenant missing in action

Hi All,

I hope I can get some advice here... I have a condominium rented out to a couple for nearly 18 mths... rencently in Aug I told the tenant the rental price will need to go up as the market price now had gone up accordingly but I still gives lower rate as compare to the current market due to the tenant pay master is good...

The tenant then intend to negotiate with me but I still insist to increase it, the tenant refuse to confirm me to continue or terminate the tenancy...they drag until middle Sep & told me will confirm after Hari Raya celebration...but from there onwards until todate I was unable to contact them at all.... they didnt pay the Oct month rental as well....

I awared that the husband is M'sia (Chinese) the wife is Indonesian (Indo-Chinese) they are doing business & used to fly here n there & I know they are fliying back to Indonesia for HAri Raya celebration....recently there is earthquake happened in Indonesia just worry they are involved in the incident.... :ohmy:

They had 2 mths deposit with me so if next month they still not appear then the deposit will be utilised.... I donno what should I do if they really not appear themselves :wacko3:

Can someone experience this before??? Can advice on the next action?? Much appreciate it... :wub:

Yvonne,

I got the key but I cant go that way right I also thinking of report to Police but do I really go to that stage??? from ur past experience u report to police also??

Apekjolly,

as at todate they not return yet & still unable to contact....

Yes, this is what i did. Report police is not meant for taking legal action. Just a record only. As like what you said they might have involve in indonesia earthquake. If no one report they are missing, how police can detect if they are lost? Report police just to inform your tenant has missing in action, and didn't pay for monthly rental. This is to protect yourself also. In future you might want to rent out to others. This report can prove that the tenant didn't turn up. For me, I immediately report when I try to call the tenant for numerous times. They just didn't want to take up my phone. Try your best to contact them. State this in your police report as well. If you do not plan to rent out your property in future and leave it as it is infinitely, then you no need to make police report. Yes, you should not open the lock, this is against the law. Check your contract agreement, is anything stated there what you can do if the tenant does not tell whether to continue or terminate the contract and also check is there stated anything you can do if the tenant didn't pay rental for 2 mths. When you do the police report, you can try to ask the police whether can follow you to the house and go inside to check or not. Some willing to do that. This is to avoid the tenant suddenly appear months later and take legal action on you that you voilated their privacy by entering their house. Contract usually state that even you have rent the house to them, owner must inform tenant if would like to enter the house.

Dont know whether you still facing this problem. But if your tenant still did not appear, then it is better to put up a police report and request the officers to accompany you to the unit and check it out. Don't want months later then you end up untowards findings inside.

If the problem already solved, then good for you.