fred

stock investment?

babysiew,

never let greed or emotions take over ur judgement in shares investment. as long as got profit, it's better than none at all...

Hi guys,

My wife is a huge fan of your website! :) She reads it daily! I was pleased that you actually have quite a diverse range of topics here, including wealth management, which is a topic close to my heart.

Well, I am a banker, and my article on personal finance is published in the Personal Money Magazine (August issue). Pls look under the "Personally Speaking" section. Do have a read if u guys are free. Let me summarize my thoughts:-

Essentially, you don't have to be a CPA, CFA or CFP to be invest. Please do not be fooled by the legions of fund managers that rant on and on about jargons like PE ratios, intrinsic values and discounted cash flows. That kinda language makes investments seem a lot "harder" than it actually is.

Don't get me wrong, self-education is extremely important. Even till this day, I read tons of books on personal finance. I highly recommend books written by Philip Fisher, Peter Lynch, Robert Hagstrom and David Bach. Don't just read your local papers. Read widely. Read the Edge, or the Asian Wall Street Journal, or even Fortune. ;)

Make the time to read. I work 12 hour days. And I still make the time to read daily. I'm not perfect. I have many flaws. But I believe proper time management is something NOT to be compromised.

Let me emphasize one important point. I am a long-term investor that believes that the fundamentals of a listed company should be the prime criteria in any investment decision. I am not a trader, nor am I interested in making a quick buck over the next hot stock. :lol:

Yes, having a basic understanding of financial statements is important, but it is not the encompassing pillar in equity investments. Sometimes, basic common sense goes a long way. I view equity investment as a proxy to owning a small share in a business. In other words, I only invest in businesses which are simple and understandable, with consistent operating earnings.

For instance Aeon, (known as Jusco, previously) was a stock I invested in 4 years ago. Why Aeon? Well, I remembered constantly being stuck in a freaking 2.5 km jam before entering the Jusco parking area at the One Utama Shopping Center! Not to mention, being compressed like a can of tuna whilst negotiating through the heavy crowds.

Nevertheless, these observations prompted my interest to research Aeon further, and to eventually become its small but faithful investor. I reckon that the ability to relate to its business model, and being its frequent customer helped as well. To date, my initial investment has more than tripled in value. B)

To reinforce my point further, all, if not most of us, are customers of Fraser & Neave Holdings Berhad (F&N). We consume their popular brands such as "Coca-Cola", "Sprite", "F&N Orange" and "100 Plus" almost on a daily basis. I know that my "badminton kaki's" and I look upon "100 plus" like a precious elixir to quench our thirst. Furthermore, whenever you order a "teh tarik" at your local mamak store, bear in mind that its key ingredient is probably F&N Condensed Milk. I believe in its business model, and my initial investment has risen by more than 50% since the year 2005. B)

Please do not misconstrue my views as arrogance. I have nothing to prove to you all; rather I'd just like to share my experience in investments. Believe me, my strategy is not a "Skim cepat Kaya" of any sort. Rather, it's a long, patient but fulfilling process.

Which brings me to my final point:- the phrase "Profit taking" is sometimes just too highly over-rated. :P

Don't get me wrong, Profit taking is important, particularly if you have reached your desired rate of return. It is especially crucial to the folks at the pre-retirement stage, where capital preservation is paramount.

But as a young investor, why should we take profit at say, 60% or even 300% for that matter? I echo the legendary Warren Buffet by saying that "My Favorite Holding Period is Forever". If Aeon (Jusco) continues expanding its stores, if its retail sales consistently grow, and the 2.5 km traffic fiasco into its stores continue to persist, why should I sell? I'd rather be a faithful and long term investor and let the stock compound over time. Remember, we are in this for the long term, and should not be distracted by any short-term volatility.

Well, folks.....That's about it for now.....I better stop.......if not, i can end up writting WAY TOO MUCH. :) I believe in sharing knowledge, and I hope to read all your views as well. Cheers. :)

Wow.. Phoenix, this is insightful. My fh likes talking finance a lot, so I only lend him my ear usually, but grasp a bit here and there.

I understand about the long term profit you were referring to, but isn't it only paper gain? Somemore, according to some predictor, years ending with 7 is not good. Remember 1997? Now 2007 and the bubble is starting to burst again. So according to my fh, it's better if you buy and cepat2 buang, so earning is quite less.

U r a fan of Warren Buffet also? I think my fh will like you a lot. LOL! He was planning to take CFA.

Hi guys,

My wife is a huge fan of your website! :) She reads it daily! I was pleased that you actually have quite a diverse range of topics here, including wealth management, which is a topic close to my heart.

Well, I am a banker, and my article on personal finance is published in the Personal Money Magazine (August issue). Pls look under the "Personally Speaking" section. Do have a read if u guys are free. Let me summarize my thoughts:-

Essentially, you don't have to be a CPA, CFA or CFP to be invest. Please do not be fooled by the legions of fund managers that rant on and on about jargons like PE ratios, intrinsic values and discounted cash flows. That kinda language makes investments seem a lot "harder" than it actually is.

Don't get me wrong, self-education is extremely important. Even till this day, I read tons of books on personal finance. I highly recommend books written by Philip Fisher, Peter Lynch, Robert Hagstrom and David Bach. Don't just read your local papers. Read widely. Read the Edge, or the Asian Wall Street Journal, or even Fortune. ;)

Make the time to read. I work 12 hour days. And I still make the time to read daily. I'm not perfect. I have many flaws. But I believe proper time management is something NOT to be compromised.

Let me emphasize one important point. I am a long-term investor that believes that the fundamentals of a listed company should be the prime criteria in any investment decision. I am not a trader, nor am I interested in making a quick buck over the next hot stock. :D

Yes, having a basic understanding of financial statements is important, but it is not the encompassing pillar in equity investments. Sometimes, basic common sense goes a long way. I view equity investment as a proxy to owning a small share in a business. In other words, I only invest in businesses which are simple and understandable, with consistent operating earnings.

For instance Aeon, (known as Jusco, previously) was a stock I invested in 4 years ago. Why Aeon? Well, I remembered constantly being stuck in a freaking 2.5 km jam before entering the Jusco parking area at the One Utama Shopping Center! Not to mention, being compressed like a can of tuna whilst negotiating through the heavy crowds.

Nevertheless, these observations prompted my interest to research Aeon further, and to eventually become its small but faithful investor. I reckon that the ability to relate to its business model, and being its frequent customer helped as well. To date, my initial investment has more than tripled in value. B)

To reinforce my point further, all, if not most of us, are customers of Fraser & Neave Holdings Berhad (F&N). We consume their popular brands such as "Coca-Cola", "Sprite", "F&N Orange" and "100 Plus" almost on a daily basis. I know that my "badminton kaki's" and I look upon "100 plus" like a precious elixir to quench our thirst. Furthermore, whenever you order a "teh tarik" at your local mamak store, bear in mind that its key ingredient is probably F&N Condensed Milk. I believe in its business model, and my initial investment has risen by more than 50% since the year 2005. B)

Please do not misconstrue my views as arrogance. I have nothing to prove to you all; rather I'd just like to share my experience in investments. Believe me, my strategy is not a "Skim cepat Kaya" of any sort. Rather, it's a long, patient but fulfilling process.

Which brings me to my final point:- the phrase "Profit taking" is sometimes just too highly over-rated. :P

Don't get me wrong, Profit taking is important, particularly if you have reached your desired rate of return. It is especially crucial to the folks at the pre-retirement stage, where capital preservation is paramount.

But as a young investor, why should we take profit at say, 60% or even 300% for that matter? I echo the legendary Warren Buffet by saying that "My Favorite Holding Period is Forever". If Aeon (Jusco) continues expanding its stores, if its retail sales consistently grow, and the 2.5 km traffic fiasco into its stores continue to persist, why should I sell? I'd rather be a faithful and long term investor and let the stock compound over time. Remember, we are in this for the long term, and should not be distracted by any short-term volatility.

Well, folks.....That's about it for now.....I better stop.......if not, i can end up writting WAY TOO MUCH. :) I believe in sharing knowledge, and I hope to read all your views as well. Cheers. :)

hi escudo,

my FH&me like investment very much... he just done&pass CFA..

so happen if u would like to find out more details about CFA...

u can PM me... :)

Hi Escudo,

Great to know that u r passionate about personal finance as well! Sorry, I took so long to reply.......My wife actually reminded me to do so! :)

To answer your question a "paper" gain is still a gain. Could u lose it all? Of course you can. But, it seriously depends on your investment strategy, which should be focused, disciplined and long term.

For instance, Warren Buffet's Multi Billion Fortune is based on "paper" gains. Prince Alwaleed's (The major shareholder of Citibank) fortune is also based on "paper" gains. :lol:

Let me emphasize my point again.......If u hold a solid blue chip like Jusco or Public Bank......and their businesses have a solid franchise & customer value proposition.......Why bother selling? Let the stock compound over time, and reap its rewards. :huh:

Please do not be distracted by talk such as "I bought a stock 1 week ago, and I just sold it yesterday for a 50% profit"!!!!.......That's just plain gambling and speculation. They may be lucky in the short-term, but they'll eventually meet their Waterloo. :P

Lastly, u mentioned about the market having a massive correction or drop every 7 years or so. I think there is some truth to that. But, why are u worried? Like I said, investments are a LONG TERM PROCESS. History has shown that the index will always correct itself and stock prices of good companies will increase over time, despite market falls.

Frankly speaking, I'm VERY HAPPY when the market falls by crazy amounts. It just shows how irrational and emotional people sometimes are. I CAPITALIZE this moment, and pick up my blue chip stocks at bargain prices. :lol:

Anyways, keep in touch n God bless...... :lol:

Heheheh.., smart of u.., when the market price decrease, scoop the stocks! When increase, dump it......

You r correct about those solid stock, but too late for me to invest now, since the price is sky high already.

Those ppl who get the "paper" gains are all loaded with cash, so they can just let "money grows money", problem is, me and fh are just poor ppl, cannot survive only on paper looooh.

For those solid company, maybe it's safe to invest, but with the so called "transperancy" in Msia market, I think enough said.

Can advise what blue chip stocks to buy? :P

hi escudo,

Violetlim, thanx for the offer. My fh right now is preparing exam for his job, tivoli cert, so he will only try the CFA after he has passed that.

**When I was in school, I thought after graduation, I can forget about exams, but it does not seem so. :(

The brilliant PM is killing the market. Now transaction fee is RM40 according to the new plan announced this afternoon 4pm.

So buying and selling means RM80.

Bravo~~~ The brilliant people like to throw stones at their own feet!

<_<

The brilliant PM is killing the market. Now transaction fee is RM40 according to the new plan announced this afternoon 4pm.

So buying and selling means RM80.

Bravo~~~ The brilliant people like to throw stones at their own feet!

<_<

Yeah... there goes our oppurtunity for us like amateur to trade liao. I hope the internet trading can offer a good trading fee for us to offset that.

Mind to share what stock do you hold. Let start with mine. I mainly hold 1 or 2 lots of them. It's not in any particular order but if I have bought Bintulu Port while it's still RM2.00, I could have been rich

Public Bank

Tong Her

QL

Topglove

Bintulu Port

Sport Toto

Tanjong

Accostec

Looking for the right price to buy

YTL Power

Uchitec

Jusco

My previous mistake

NTPM

BSA

Xian Leng

KSL

& many more

I still remember Robert Kiyosaki mentioned on Warren Buffet said and I always remember that 'if you know what you're doing (putting all your money in 1 basket), diversification (putting your egg in few basket) may not be give you the best return.

hi escudo,

I am a first timer in this portal, in term of stock market investment, i have been there vey long time. I recommend you all to try PB-Bank CD, Googe-C1 and Tenanga - CF as of today traded price. My friend also just wrote an article about some good stocks to pick in 2008. http://www.estate123.com/reviews_articles/...il.aspx?a_id=45 Hope it helps all. But dont put all your money, always remember only certain portion of your funds into stock as smart investment.

Hi,

I'm new in stock investment. Open an account but never use it. :P

But now really would like to venture into this field, b'cos money really grows slow with savings. Can't depend solely on savings and unit trust, i think. Stock investment should be giving quicker earnings rite?

Thinking of buying some shares recently, got any recommendation within the range of RM2k to RM4k? However, i have question, heard that economy is getting bad after election? Should i wait after March?

May someone share ur experience or opinion? Thanks.

Hi Escudo,

Great to know that u r passionate about personal finance as well! Sorry, I took so long to reply.......My wife actually reminded me to do so! :)

To answer your question a "paper" gain is still a gain. Could u lose it all? Of course you can. But, it seriously depends on your investment strategy, which should be focused, disciplined and long term.

For instance, Warren Buffet's Multi Billion Fortune is based on "paper" gains. Prince Alwaleed's (The major shareholder of Citibank) fortune is also based on "paper" gains. :lol:

Let me emphasize my point again.......If u hold a solid blue chip like Jusco or Public Bank......and their businesses have a solid franchise & customer value proposition.......Why bother selling? Let the stock compound over time, and reap its rewards. :rolleyes:

Please do not be distracted by talk such as "I bought a stock 1 week ago, and I just sold it yesterday for a 50% profit"!!!!.......That's just plain gambling and speculation. They may be lucky in the short-term, but they'll eventually meet their Waterloo. :P

Lastly, u mentioned about the market having a massive correction or drop every 7 years or so. I think there is some truth to that. But, why are u worried? Like I said, investments are a LONG TERM PROCESS. History has shown that the index will always correct itself and stock prices of good companies will increase over time, despite market falls.

Frankly speaking, I'm VERY HAPPY when the market falls by crazy amounts. It just shows how irrational and emotional people sometimes are. I CAPITALIZE this moment, and pick up my blue chip stocks at bargain prices. :lol:

Anyways, keep in touch n God bless...... :lol:

Your writing is very useful. So you are the Personal Finance writer? or you just write it and send to them?

investing in penny stocks is a great idea these days.The major advantage of these stocks is that they are traded for US $5 or less

Hi all, im new in this forum. Just wanna share, i recently was introduced by a friend to invest in an almost risk free investment. In 1 mth i I get 20% profit, and 2nd mth another 40%. 1st mth itself i managed to clear all my credit card debt. Now I am focusing on paying my housing loan by June this year. Ths is the best investment I've ever made!!

Everyone talking about trading here, but can everyone become a good trader? I have also interest in trading, what qualities should be of successful traders. financial news online

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find more useful information about stock market here