fred

stock investment?

fred, ya i know you have an interest in investment ... read it somewhere else, hee hee :P

Anyway, my hb is also into invesment ... just bought some stocks in S'pore lately ;)

fred, ya i know you have an interest in investment ... read it somewhere else, hee hee :P

Anyway, my hb is also into invesment ... just bought some stocks in S'pore lately ;)

I do like to invest every now and then and start to record my transactions into a blog 1 year ago. At the moment stock investment gives me the highest return but would like to expand my investment to more areas like unit trust and bonds.

Never get your hubby to buy for you?? :P

buy for me? his money is MY money what! If he make money that meas I make money also mah, hee hee :P :D

my hb has been "playing" mutual funds for sometime, the gain he got was quite impressive ;) The one he invested was Emerging market (BRIC) with HSBC.

hi,

i am interesting in investment too but not so familiar ler.. Can some experts advise ?? :D

Bought unit trust from UOB but never check how good the market now.

I am thinking to wat till it mature ( 5 years ) and take back all my money....it is a good idea ?? :blink:

I am also interested in investment but I don't know anything about it at all. I have tonnes of questions like how do we spot a good investment? How much do we need to invest? How much returns can be expected? How to keep track of the ups and downs, do we invest on our own or through a broker, etc etc. Anyone can give any lights on this and other issues that we need to know about investing?

Hmm, good question, I'm also as clueless when it comes to investment but my hb is quite good at it :P For his case, his mutual funds are for short term gain, usually he will hold for around +- 1 year there about. For blue chip stocks, that will be long term investment, he's looking at holding for a few years depending on the stock. Occasionally, he will do options trading on the NYSE (US market) which will be overnight gain/loss but sometimes will also need to hold for weeks before selling depending on the market's volatility ;)

For my hb's case, because he has a keen interest in investment, world economy and the dynamics, he does a lot of study and research on his own. He knows it when he spots an investment with good potential. So he usually decide for himself what he wants to invest in and I think that should be the way, rather than just relying on words of mouth or "herd instinct" ;) With every investment, it comes with a risk, so it's very important that you only invest those extra money that you can afford to lose or hold for several years without touching ;)

I don't know much about investments either, but I put my savings in a high-yielding savings account @ ING. About mutual funds, my hb is a banker and he will tell his clients that if you put money in mutual funds, you're not supposed to look at them everyday.. instead for mutual funds, you need to let it grow for a longer period of time. The retirement savings plan here in US & Canada also works the same way. The money vested (usually in mutual funds) are locked in for a period of time and there will be a penalty if you cash them out.

There are several places where you can learn about investing in mutual funds. I have not begun to do so due to my immigration status here in US & Canada (long story...) and I need the cash for the wedding & short-term expenses (6 mths-1yr emergency funds). They key to investing is just like life's mantra, everything in moderation & keep a balanced portfolio. Mutual funds are much more popular with amateur investors because you can choose your type of portfolio (aggressive, passive, etc.) and it will put your money in several buckets for you (less work). You are also taking less risk. Here's a good article that tells you why mutual funds are better than stocks for beginners: http://mutualfunds.about.com/cs/mutualfund...a/advantage.htm

This is a good website to start your research regarding stocks, funds, bonds, etc. http://www.morningstar.com/

Also read CNN money to keep abreast of investment news: http://money.cnn.com/

The money vested (usually in mutual funds) are locked in for a period of time and there will be a penalty if you cash them out.

am not a keen investor but i do invest some in the mutual fund. but my $$ is not being locked nor do i get penalty for harvest it lor.... for mutual fund, as long as you invest in the right fund at the right time then you can get quite a good return.... i would say better it's than the FD rate in msia... :P

mutual funds will definitely yield a higher interest rate than FD, or savings acct here in US and canada.. cannot fight :P

Sorry for the wrong info,.. our mutual funds here that are vested via our retirement plan is locked in. Outside of that u can move it around :P

I think over here we got choices to invest in stocks, mutual funds, bonds, etc, depend on the personal risk level. If you prefer lower risk, funds and bonds will be a better choice as there are professional fund managers looking at your investment, but the return is limited. The safest one will be getting a FD, but interest is kind of low....

Public Bank has just launched a new unit trust called Public Bank Islamic Asia Equity Fund. I am very much interested in it. There's a launching promotion of 1% lot free till 28 Jan 2007. Anyone heard about this? Any opinions/ comments / advice to share?

i heard of it... but got not much interest in it coz i basically got no idea of how's public bank unit trust performance....

by far from my personal observation, most of the profitable unit trust is from public mutual... and bear in mind public mutual and public bank unit trust is different although they are from the same group....

I am a bit confused. Some trust fund pays dividen, while some do not. For those who don't, you can only get the money when you sell off your units. How do we know which one is which? On what basis do they calculate the dividen?

for this u got to ask the fund manager. the fund manager will be able to answer you on this.

from what i know, there's a fund from southern bank that didn't pay dividend. this particular fund works really like shares... you got to sell it when the shares market is high in order to make profit from the trust fund.

I am a bit confused. Some trust fund pays dividen, while some do not. For those who don't, you can only get the money when you sell off your units. How do we know which one is which? On what basis do they calculate the dividen?

chooz, ur hubby still invest in this hsbc now? ;)

buy for me? his money is MY money what! If he make money that meas I make money also mah, hee hee :P :lol:

my hb has been "playing" mutual funds for sometime, the gain he got was quite impressive ;) The one he invested was Emerging market (BRIC) with HSBC.

So what's good to buy now then? :P

markets are at their all time high now, better hold your money first. there will be a broad correction soon.

Yeee... thanks Fred! I was thinking the same that it's not a good time put in my money that's why i kept rejecting the agent.... but he kept saying begining of the year is the best time to invest... *phew* ...

With the current liquidity and bulllish available in Bursa Malaysia, you can still find good investment in stock. Find those that have economic 'Moat'. Increasing Earning Per Share (EPS) and professional management team. Always do some research like free stock recommendation in bursa malaysia and various research news available in the Securities firm. Reading some investment book and picking up accounting knowledge do help in figuring out their annual report.

And finally, always remember the rule 'Never play other peoples money'......

Yeee... thanks Fred! I was thinking the same that it's not a good time put in my money that's why i kept rejecting the agent.... but he kept saying begining of the year is the best time to invest... *phew* ...

yeah... always do your own study first. bursa is on its all time high after the crash a few years ago, i believe many ppl got their money stuck since then and waiting to get some of the money back. ie, many of them are waiting to sell now.

U know... i dumped my shares so fast into the market and my profit went half!!! if i dumped later, i would have earn double wat i am earning now... regret but nvr know also... wat if it went down... argh... nearly heart attack when i saw it went up and up... argh argh... but am happy with the money though... i cannot really play shares... really give me heart attack...