s_y

EFW((Estimated Fetal Weight)

Hi gals,

Mind to share your view/opinion on this and anyone have the EFW and the exact birth weight which match exactly?

Swiss hospitals don't really believe in the accuracy of EFW so they never told me her weight. Instead, they'll focus more on the health and growth curve of a baby - eg, "She's growing well according to the curve and won't be a big baby; somewhere around average or small to average".

accurate.

estimated 3.7kg-3.8kg... baby came out weighing 3.74kg. :cool:

EFW could be a tricky business.

Basically the doctor need to rely a few methods to estimate the fetal weight:

1. Clinical experience: the doctor estimate the weight based on his experience by using his hands to assess the size of fetus. But this could prove difficult especially in obese women when the abdominal wall is thick.

2. Ultrasound. Most doctors use ultrasound to calculate the EFW. Most ultrasound use the Hadlock formula which the abdominal circuference (AC) and femur length (FL) play a major role.

The accuracy EFW by scan is +/- 500 gm or 10% of the calculated weight. So if the femur of the baby is long, the calculated EFW by computer will be artificially heavy. Many of us rely on the AC and have a cut off point of 350 or 360mm to warn us on big baby.

3. Simphysiofundal height (SFH). Any measurement more than 40-50 cm is a warning of big baby but may be artificially high in obese mothers.

3. The mother's estimate: For those who delivered vaginally before, it is useful to ask the mother's estimate compare to previous pregnancy.

So to estimate accurately the fetal weight, a lot to do with the doctor's experience rather than ultrasound machine alone.

I'm currently 34 weeks and EFW : 2.4kg.

31 weeks, EFW: 1.7kg.

Sudden gained of 700g.

I'm scared bb is too big when its full term.

I'm currently 34 weeks and EFW : 2.4kg.

31 weeks, EFW: 1.7kg.

Sudden gained of 700g.

I'm scared bb is too big when its full term.

haha... i think i have to worry first..... cus my baby already 3.5Kg while i m 36th week. When he was in 34th weeks, the weight already reached 3.2kg.....

Estimated 2.77kg, come out at week 37th 3.5kg. The last estimation done 2 days before birth.

Wow.. real vast difference.

The last EFW on 36 weeks was 2.6kg.

Hope bb weight won't increase so rapidly.

not accurate but i think its important for them to estimate the weight, for planning what to do next. when i give birth tat time, I was in labour room for 10hrs.. they thought coz my bb was big...and nearly opt for surgery but after delivery, the baby was tiny only lol

my bb EFW 3.5kg

but give birth that time is only 2.99kg.

Up to 38 weeks, the EFW of my bb was average. Suddenly, it jumped to 3.65kg in Week 39 and almost 3.8kg in Week 40. :wacko3: Scared me so much, I went into labor induction on my EDD under reason of 'Large baby'. That said, I started labor naturally on my own before the cervix softening tablet got to work. :angry:

Luckily, my bb came out weighing 3.38kg nia.....not too big, nor too small for a boy, I think. :lol: