Sign in to follow this  
dolphinblue

cheesecloth: where to buy?

hello... does anyone know where they usually sell cheesecloth (aka muslin cloth aka kain maslin). i see it mentioned a lot in recipe books and sites but can't seem to find it in the supermarket (i tried jusco and cold storage in pj area). help/advice very much appreciated... tqx100

Hi there

What I usually do is go to those Japanese livingware stores (Daiso, 100Yen) and look for tea cloth. Then I'll cut the sides making it into a cloth. Here's a sample of the tea cloth but this brand I'm not sure if I got it from the Japanese stores or Parkson at 1U at the tupperware section together with kitchen tools.

img1170xm.jpg

thanks mummyally. but if its made for holding tea leaves i'm not sure it is big enough for what i wanted to do?

as it turns out, i am actually using this to cook japanese and korean soups. sometimes i have broth/soup thats full of the gunk that comes out when you boil meat and bones, or which has lots of lil bonito fish flakes (for japanese dashi broth) floating inside. :(

to arrive at the kind of clear soup you get in restaurants, i think i need to strain the junk out by pouring the soup through cloth. i think the cloth type tea/coffee strainer they use in coffee shops would work as well, but its also a bit small and i'll have to wash & reuse it instead of just chucking it into the bin, so it would be less convenient. this video sort of demonstrates what i had in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxi_XvdVdOs

so ideally, it would be nice if i could find someplace where they sell this muslin cloth thing by the yard..... :)

hmm I used this when making broths too :) as shown in the pic below, but since it's meant for a huge batch, maybe you can try the cloth shops (like Kamdar) or craft shops (that sells materials for cross stitch, patchwork, threads etc). But I usually buy a few as they only cost under RM6 per piece and layering them if I were to make a big pot of broth/soup

And btw, when I open up the cloth bag, the measurement's approximately 24cm x 40cm, it's probably not big enough for you but just so you know :)

tpnblog11.jpg

LOL... I was reading up on where to get cheesecloth as I have been contemplating making my own ricotta. Now I know. Puchong has a Daiso I think. Will pop by one of these days. Thanks so much Mummy Ally.

I couldn't find the teacloth at IOI's Daiso. I found those basin strainers though. Those that you would put at the strainer of your kitchen sink to trap food remnants and oil. I managed to get a RM5 pack, good sized ones. Now my worry is.... is it made of toxin-ated material.. I wanna make cheese with it. Sigh. Mummyally, can you help me purchase a pack ah? I'm desperate. :wacko: