Sign in to follow this  
purple lotus

Pre-term labor

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before. Pre-term labor is defined as labor after the 20th week of pregnancy but before the 37th week of pregnancy.

Last Mon I was admitted to hospital for pre-term contractions. Initially I thought I was having Braxton-Hicks contractions but then it was too early (at 25 weeks) and the contractions were too frequent (3-4minutes apart) although there was no pain or bleeding whatsoever. I decided to be safe and get examined by my gynae anyway.

My gynae immediately admitted me and gave a injections, medication and put me on IV drip to stop the contractions. I didn't know I was going into labor at that time. I was lucky my cervix didn't open although the cervix length had shortened according to my gynae.

I was discharged after 4days and my gynae advised me to fully rest myself. The contractions might still come back and he ask me to immediately come for check-up if there is any bleeding, contractions, pain, water bag burst etc...

There is a chapter on pre-term labor in "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" under 7th Month and Counting. READ IT although you are still in 5th month or 6th month. It helps to notice the signs and symptoms of pre-term labor early. I haven't got to that chapter yet when I was hit but I was lucky I went to the hospital early.

Lastly I wish all mummy-to-be out there a Happy and Safe Pregnancy.

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before. Pre-term labor is defined as labor after the 20th week of pregnancy but before the 37th week of pregnancy.

Last Mon I was admitted to hospital for pre-term contractions. Initially I thought I was having Braxton-Hicks contractions but then it was too early (at 25 weeks) and the contractions were too frequent (3-4minutes apart) although there was no pain or bleeding whatsoever. I decided to be safe and get examined by my gynae anyway.

My gynae immediately admitted me and gave a injections, medication and put me on IV drip to stop the contractions. I didn't know I was going into labor at that time. I was lucky my cervix didn't open although the cervix length had shortened according to my gynae.

I was discharged after 4days and my gynae advised me to fully rest myself. The contractions might still come back and he ask me to immediately come for check-up if there is any bleeding, contractions, pain, water bag burst etc...

There is a chapter on pre-term labor in "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" under 7th Month and Counting. READ IT although you are still in 5th month or 6th month. It helps to notice the signs and symptoms of pre-term labor early. I haven't got to that chapter yet when I was hit but I was lucky I went to the hospital early.

Lastly I wish all mummy-to-be out there a Happy and Safe Pregnancy.

HI, I also having pre term contractions on before CNY...i have a bit of bloody....then i worry so go to see gynea...

I on 35 weeks ..so he test CTG on me...contraction frequent...so advise me admitted hospital..i stay 2 nights..

I been gave 2 injection (to strong bb lung if really deliver)...and medication too...and testing CTG frequently..

After stay 2 nights.....and give me MC 3 days to rest more and home...dun walk so much and carry heavy things...

Got pre-term contractions again. Happened early this morning. Contractions was about 3-4mins. Same thing. No cervical opening or bleeding. Dr admitted me, put me on drip to stop contractions and gave me steroid injections to mature bb's lungs.

I wonder if its a trend, if first pregnancy, you got it then 2nd pregnancy, chances are you will get it too. During my 1st pregnancy, I had it twice.

I went through preterm labour at 32 weeks with my second. My first pregnancy was full term - Eva had to be induced despite my water bag breaking two days before the actual due date. With Noah, it was the complete opposite.

I had bloody show a week before the actual contractions. Braxton Hicks was more frequent and on hindsight, I should have gone to see the doc but I didn't - long story. To cut the story short (for the full story, can see my baby blog), on Sunday 3am, I woke up feeling strange - the BH I was feeling was more like contractions, the same contractions I got when I was in labour with Eva. So I got the hubby to call the hospital and while he was on the phone, I started bleeding. At the hospital, they discovered that I was dilated and my cervix length was quite short...too short, according to them so they tried to stop it but whatever they gave me wasn't working. Noah was doing great and kicking throughout the whole episode. All the nurses joked that he was adamant about getting out now now. Don't want to wait anymore.

So I got transferred to a bigger hospital where they could cope with babies below 34 weeks old and a steroid shot to help Noah's lungs develop. I gave birth on Sunday noon naturally and they transferred Noah to NICU where he was hooked up to an IV line via the umbilical cord and oxygen tube. He was transferred back to the hospital in my town (where I first went to) last Friday after he went off the IV line but on the gavage tube (a tube that goes directly into the stomach) and oxygen tube two days earlier. Since I delivered him, he has been on my breastmilk - he started with 8ml and is now on 30ml eight times a day. His weight also has gone up - from 1.560 at birth to 1.480 in the first week to 1.680 now. He has also started latching on and suckling this week which is good progress for his age.

Technically, they won't release him till 1) he is off gavage feeding and can feed on his own, and 2) he's closer to his term age - which means he'll be in the hospital for at least another three weeks. Till today, the hospital cannot explain why I went into preterm labour coz my pregnancy and everything was great. They suspect it's because of the stress from the moving - from SG to France and etc. O'well...no point dwelling on that now. At least all is well with Noah and me. :)

Mabel,

Good to hear Noah's progress. And started to suckle oredi? That's great.

Dr estimate my baby's weight at 1.4kg if he was to be born now but I am confident that I will be able to carry him to full term. Despite experiencing two bouts of pre-term contractions, I still managed to carry Ivan till 37weeks + 3days. He was born small 2.2kg cos I had Intra Uterine Growth Restriction (IUGR) but he was healthy and had really strong lungs. His cries can be heard a few rooms away. :p

I told my baby same thing I told Ivan. Stay inside mummy's tummy, its so much nicer to sleep inside mummy's warm and comfortable tummy compared to the hard hospital cot. I think he heard his mummy. :happy:

Thanks sweets!

Both my babies never listen to me leh. With Eva, I tell her to come out earlier, she dunwan. With Noah, I tell him to come out later, he dunwan. Never mind la...

My SIL and some of my friends had both their kids prematurely - I believe that there is a big difference between having your first child as preemie and your second as a preemie.

Mabel,

Good to hear Noah's progress. And started to suckle oredi? That's great.

Dr estimate my baby's weight at 1.4kg if he was to be born now but I am confident that I will be able to carry him to full term. Despite experiencing two bouts of pre-term contractions, I still managed to carry Ivan till 37weeks + 3days. He was born small 2.2kg cos I had Intra Uterine Growth Restriction (IUGR) but he was healthy and had really strong lungs. His cries can be heard a few rooms away. :p

I told my baby same thing I told Ivan. Stay inside mummy's tummy, its so much nicer to sleep inside mummy's warm and comfortable tummy compared to the hard hospital cot. I think he heard his mummy. :happy:

Hi purple lotus,

When my sister had her first child, she had IUGR as well. My nephew was 2.2kg too. Now at 2, he is one healthy boy although much smaller than toddlers his age. How's Ivan doing now?

My sister just got pregnant again but she worries that IUGR might repeat. She is almost at the end of 1st tri.

How's your progress during this pregnancy? We really hope this round will be smooth for her. Hope you could share your experience.

Thanks!

Rainbow,

Ivan is doing great now and is a healthy and smart boy. His physical and mental development is comparable to other kids his age. No weight issues, I think mainly because he was on breastmilk till he was 11months. Did your sister breastfeed her son?

Your sister shouldn't worry too much about this pregnancy. Excessive worrying and sufficient rest will affect the pregnancy. When I was pregnant with Ivan, I worked too much, didn't get sufficient rest, (I'm a workaholic), and worried a lot, (Ivan's Triple test came back positive, my FIL suddenly passed away). All this took toll on my pregnancy and I was emotionally down when I was put on bedrest for weeks after the pre-term labor.

This time around, when I found out I was pregnant, I made sure I rest well and cut back on my workload. Plus makinpg sure that I eat a well-balanced diet. The only thing I regretted was to stopped breastfeed Ivan. I was too tired with this 2nd pregnancy and felt that my body wasn't strong enough for me to tandem breastfeed. I know a few forumers that succesfully breastfeed while they were pregnant. Hats off to them.

I'm in my final trimester now, and so far my gynae hasn't mentioned IUGR. Baby seems to be growing normally, only the pre-term labor is back again. I think mainly is because of taking care of Ivan, he still wants to be carried and wants to hug me bear style when he sleeps. :dash2:

I did ask my gynae if my 2nd one will be low-weight birth as well, and she said that there chances that there is and ask me to eat well, get enough rest and take the supplements she gave me. I think some forumers adviced me to take chicken soup during my 1st pregnancy to boost baby's weight. I'll probably do that since I'll be having a lot of free time during my long MC.

Hi purple lotus,

My sister breastfed her son but I am not too sure for how long though. Ivan was fully on breastmilk?

Well, my sister said she wasn't really stressed during her first pregnancy but IUGR happened. I can see she is getting a little worried this time due to the IUGR experience. We have all been telling her to take things easy and enjoy her pregnancy. My mom boils her soup every weekend, hoping she gets more nutrient.

Haha! Ivan is so cute, hug you bear style. Take good care alright and I wish you a safe pregnancy!

Rainbow,

Ivan is doing great now and is a healthy and smart boy. His physical and mental development is comparable to other kids his age. No weight issues, I think mainly because he was on breastmilk till he was 11months. Did your sister breastfeed her son?

Your sister shouldn't worry too much about this pregnancy. Excessive worrying and sufficient rest will affect the pregnancy. When I was pregnant with Ivan, I worked too much, didn't get sufficient rest, (I'm a workaholic), and worried a lot, (Ivan's Triple test came back positive, my FIL suddenly passed away). All this took toll on my pregnancy and I was emotionally down when I was put on bedrest for weeks after the pre-term labor.

This time around, when I found out I was pregnant, I made sure I rest well and cut back on my workload. Plus makinpg sure that I eat a well-balanced diet. The only thing I regretted was to stopped breastfeed Ivan. I was too tired with this 2nd pregnancy and felt that my body wasn't strong enough for me to tandem breastfeed. I know a few forumers that succesfully breastfeed while they were pregnant. Hats off to them.

I'm in my final trimester now, and so far my gynae hasn't mentioned IUGR. Baby seems to be growing normally, only the pre-term labor is back again. I think mainly is because of taking care of Ivan, he still wants to be carried and wants to hug me bear style when he sleeps. :dash2:

I did ask my gynae if my 2nd one will be low-weight birth as well, and she said that there chances that there is and ask me to eat well, get enough rest and take the supplements she gave me. I think some forumers adviced me to take chicken soup during my 1st pregnancy to boost baby's weight. I'll probably do that since I'll be having a lot of free time during my long MC.

i had preterm contraction scare too... at week 31.. saw the doctor, there was no contraction during the time he monitored, plus no dilation and he gave me steroid jap... ultrasound showed growth of 4 weeks ahead, so even the baby was ready to kick and come out early, but i told him to wait till at least w36... around w33 had similar scare.. this time hubby decided i shd go back to my hometown with my mom... glad i did cos baby came out in w36. But hey i also know many people who have their baby after EDD even with the preterm labour scares

Rainbow,

I din breastfeed him exclusively. He was on FM once a day at night. Your sis should be enjoying her pregnancy and stop worrying. Everything will turn out fine.

Q,

You mean you had contractions at home, but when you saw the Dr, it was gone? For me, I monitored my contractions for an hour and when it didn't stop, I knew I had to get to the hospital ASAP. The contractions became more frequent and painful. Hopefully my baby listens to his mummy and stay in my tummy for another 6more weeks. Babies are considered term when they reach 37weeks. I dun think that I'll hit the 39 or 40week target. I've got a feeling that this is also another early bird like his brother Ivan. Ivan broke his 'comfy nest' at 37w+3d.

I'm currently on high blood pressure medication to keep my contractions under control. Dr allows me to slowly reduce the dosage if I feel the contractions are not back. But when I tried reducing the dosage, the contractions came back, every half and hour or so, and I had to take back the full dosage. The side effects of the medication is palpitations. My pulse is around 110/min which makes feel uncomfortable. At the hospital under drip medication, my pulse went up to 137/min, its like I've been running a marathon.

Mable,

As long as the 'doors' (cervix) remain shut, there is no way for him to come out, as in my case. But the nurse did warn me that if my cervix happens to dilate and at the rate my contractions were going, out he comes... However, they did commented that I responded well to medication. The contractions subsided within minutes they administered the drip medication.